Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I violated a rule yesterday- don’t get distracted while flushing the poo poo tank. I let it run for 2 hours while I did some mowing. No big deal, except I got the tractor stuck and walked back in a bad mood. Closed the drain valve and I thought I pushed completely down on the spigot to shut it off.

Except I didn’t. Took my other tractor to try to get un-stuck and failed. Came back an hour later to the bathroom sink flooding the camper. Water was running out from under the slides. Took three loads of towels to dry out the inside. Tore apart the underbelly to find water everywhere. Poked a hole in the coroplast belly and it took 3 hours to stop draining. It was so bad it ruined the GFCI outlet in the bathroom and like half the outlets don’t work now. I stuck a dehumidifier in the belly overnight and it seems to have sufficiently dried out all the wood and closed cell foam insulation. I think the only damage is the $15 outlet and my ego.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Update: Tiny camper is still tiny.

How are you liking it? I started following their insta after you posted about your trailer. Do you have any interior pics?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
On a lark I pulled the AC filters out of my Dometic unit today and good god that is a gross color...

Ordered a new water filter, flow meter for the fresh tank, ac filters, a kit of fuses, a new faucet/hose for the rear sink.... and an AM radio antenna for baseball.

Being 38 owns.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
In preparation for probably buying a trailer I pulled the busted brake controller out of my 2005 ram 2500 and checked the 7 pin plug. I've only towed nonbraked trailers with 4way plugs with this particular truck and was expecting the worst. Miracle of miracles everything on the 7pin plug works perfectly and the lovely wiring on the old brake controller was limited to the adapter harness. Going to order a new brake controller and I'll be right back in business. I'm frankly amazed that this is turning out so well. Makes me want to put a ball in the bed and buy a gooseneck just for the hell of it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I've had a microwave in my trailer since I've owned it and never once have I ever wanted or needed to microwave anything.

So today I took it out and created a giant storage cavity. Now there's so much room for activities.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

You can store a lot of microwave popcorn in that space now!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The fucker weighs 47 lbs.

Granted it's a convection oven too but I just don't see myself using it for camp cooking ever.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

The fucker weighs 47 lbs.

Granted it's a convection oven too but I just don't see myself using it for camp cooking ever.

We almost never use ours, but when we are huddled down because of the PNW rain it is nice to be able to nuke popcorn.

CaptainTofu
Jun 1, 2021

Reposting from my build thread because I'm excited. Just got my van back from paint and it looks :circlefap:

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

CaptainTofu posted:

Reposting from my build thread because I'm excited. Just got my van back from paint and it looks :circlefap:

Link to your build thread. I must have missed it and that is a nice van.

CaptainTofu
Jun 1, 2021

Thanks!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3920377

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Atticus_1354 posted:

How are you liking it? I started following their insta after you posted about your trailer. Do you have any interior pics?

Absolutely loving it. They have used a few of my photos and video clips I have sent on their feed so far :) I realized after you posted I have not taken any interior detailed photos so after washing off the tree sap today from last weekend I thought I would pull the DSLR out and take some interior shots to hopefully illustrate what is going on. I have plans to eventually compile a video review/overview once I get enough content and media and experience with it so it can be of some value overall. I found that there is not much user-generated content/reviews on the Bean and I like to do that kind of thing.

These were mostly shot at 20mm. The interior is very nice. The front and ceiling are upholstered with a soft touch/lightly padded vinyl. The laminate wood is precision cut and smoothed edges everywhere. It all has a nice heft. The cabinets all have a bird latch catch and they are a pass-through to the back galley kitchen, so those bins are available to inside and out. The mattress folds up to a nice little love seat, or it can have the top part folded down and tucked back further under the cabinets. The floor is nice and rugged and has tie downs. Easy to clean. The little storage cubby cover converts to a table. All lights are LED and dimmable. There is a little phone/electronics cubby with key holder and easy access to USB charging, a cup holder, 10 speed fan with remote that you can vent or change directions. The window opens, each door has a screen. There are some reading lights.

The "Bean There" are backer plates for the stand on fenders to easily access your roof rack gear/accessories. It looks like I need to clean off some of the protective plastic reside from the laser cut process. The little Bean trailer etched in on the spare tire backing plate is also a nice touch. Everywhere you look you can see thought and care which makes me really appreciate it. Every little detail has been addressed from non-slip surfaces in the "attic" cubbies, the shapes of how the laminate is cut, etc.

The whole "floor" space is about the size of a queen bed. The interior height is higher than most standard tear drop trailers so it doesn't feel cramped at all especially with the recessed LED lights and white roof.

Without wanting to post 20 photos in a single thing have a link to the Imgur gallery:
https://imgur.com/a/qB60stP

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Thanks for the rundown. That looks really good. The key hooks and cupholder absolutely won me over.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Long time backpacker, first time RVer. Well, would like to be a first time RVer. With work from home I’m getting sick of staring at the same four walls day after day and I would love to pack up my laptop and hit the road for a few months at a time.

I’ve been trying to read up, learn as much as I can and look at different options, but I would really love some advice and guidance from people with real world experience. Basically trying to figure out if my ideas are poo poo or if there might be something better I should be looking at.

I really like the idea of a lightweight, sub 20’ travel trailer I can plop down and then explore the area with the tow vehicle. This would be starting from a blank slate, as I don’t have a capable tow vehicle or a trailer. I realize the market is completely catterwampused for both right now…. I’m guessing everyone else has the same idea for some crazy mysterious reason. I understand that this whole endeavor is a huge money pit, but I’m hoping to not go too crazy so I can still, well, travel.

I’m pretty enamored with fiberglass travel trailers, especially Casitas. There doesn’t seem to be much of a used market anytime soon, so would it be a terrible idea to put a deposit down and get a new one later this fall? I’m seeing stuff like ~26,000 for the 17’ deluxe, which doesn’t include all the optional features I’d like such as friction anti sway bar, deep cycle battery, awning, etc. Is that a reasonable ballpark for first time travel trailer? That’s assuming I’m even able to find sticker price on a tow vehicle later this year too.

As far as tow vehicles go, I really like the *idea* of the new Electric F-150, but I’m sure there will be an order backlog and I hate to be an early adopter with such a large purchase. Plus I would love to camp off grid on BLM land and the like and I’m not confident 200-300 miles of range (before towing) wouldn’t eventually leave me stranded so maybe traditional gas is the way to go? Though I do love the idea of slow charging to refuel at electric camp sites over a few days. From various trailers I’ve looked at, I *think* a 5,000 lb tow rating and 7 point wiring harness *should* be sufficient for the travel trailers or teardrop campers, but would it make more sense to buy once cry once and get a more capable tow vehicle such as an F-250? Or an F150 with 10,000 lbs rating? The goal is for two people to live and work remotely while making a big circle around the US and our neighbor up north (if they ever let us back in).

Appreciate any advice or suggestions!

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
If you want to go off grid and want an F150 the powerboost model is the best possible choice. The lightning would be the worst.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

I'm super in love with the idea of the Lightning but it will make a terrible rv tow rig because of the range limits. It's one thing if you're towing locally but that range will quickly get outclassed on a real trip and current infrastructure just isn't there for charging except on limited routes. But drat do I want one for a daily driver.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

rdb posted:

If you want to go off grid and want an F150 the powerboost model is the best possible choice. The lightning would be the worst.

Seconding this.
I wish they'd build a medium duty variant....

The Lightning could be fun with an ultra light, and i mean ultra light. Probably in the realm of the awesome Bean camper Somewhat Heroic has.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

The Lightning could be fun with an ultra light, and i mean ultra light. Probably in the realm of the awesome Bean camper Somewhat Heroic has.

I imagine it will be fine for towing a reasonable bumper pull trailer without going ultralight. The power and braking will be there just like any other f150.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Atticus_1354 posted:

I imagine it will be fine for towing a reasonable bumper pull trailer without going ultralight. The power and braking will be there just like any other f150.

Yeh sure. even with the frontal square footage of something like my truckcamper it'll still have north of 100mi range.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

cursedshitbox posted:

Seconding this.
I wish they'd build a medium duty variant....

Even with an ultra lightweight trailer you still have the drag and charging headaches. ICE is going to win on towing for quite a while yet.

2022 super duty gained half my wishlist. Got sync 4, did not get the powerboost setup. Really wish it had been added, but can't have everything I guess.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

cursedshitbox posted:

Yeh sure. even with the frontal square footage of something like my truckcamper it'll still have north of 100mi range.

That’s more or less what I’m seeing from reviews, and the googler is suggesting four days to recharge on a standard 120v outlet, 10 hours with a standard EV charger, or 44 minutes on the Electrify America charger (which there are a few but not enough to plan around yet). I’m a bit drunk right now, so my math probably sucks, but at .31 cents a minute charging rate, it’s about $13.50 to refill the tank, which conservatively should tow 100 miles at full towing capacity. Assuming 10ish mpg towing with gas, that’s about ten gallons or 30$ average in fuel right now to tow 100 miles. So back of the napkin math suggests electric fuel costs are probably about 30-50% cheaper, which matches with 1/3 the cost estimates I’ve heard before. Over 100k miles that’s about 16,500$ cheaper in fuel costs (ignoring price fluctuations). Battery warranty is 7 years/80k miles. Assuming you had to replace it at that interval, at 5,500$ average EV battery cost you’re saving roughly 10,000$ (assuming the larger f150 battery is more expensive to replace). With 14,000 average yearly miles driven, that’s 10k over 7 years, or 120$ a month savings in fuel costs with electric vs gasoline. This is a conservative guesstimate and ignores additional maintenance costs of combustion engines, assuming that is offset by the cost of finding someone to fix an EV in the boonies. Though hopefully the standard wear and tear maintenance are wheels and suspension which anyone can do.

The standard F150 with towing package is ~33k, and the electric is ~38k for 230 mile battery, or 50k for the 300 mile battery (minus 7500 in tax credits). Very roughly and assuming 100% of miles driven are towed and you are paying for electricity instead of just leeching off the electric hookup at the campsite, in 7 years the extended range electric F150 should pay for the price difference between the standard gas F150 with towing package.

I think over a longer period an EV would be cheaper, but the question is how much that’s offset by inconvenience of finding a charge station, or being tied to electric hookup camp sites at 100 mile intervals for several days at a time. The other big problem is even if you do plan and find a charging site, it might not be able to accommodate parking with a trailer. If we had even a fraction of the investment in electric infrastructure as we do gasoline infrastructure I think it would be no contest. Especially the fast chargers. Pulling in to fuel up at a gas station sucks up about 15 minutes anyways, big whoop if I have to tack on half an hour to charge an EV.

Spitballing that all out, probably a regular gas truck is the best bet for towing an RV, just in terms of existing infrastructure supporting it. That is exciting costs seem to be at a break even point for general ownership though!

E: drat, I probably grossly underestimated new F150 prices… 3 year old used vehicles are selling for new MSRP :pwn:

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 12, 2021

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Still in the trying to figure it out stage, but I think at this point I’m looking to put a deposit down and get on the production waiting list for an Escape travel trailer.

I really like the Escape 21c, mainly because it’s a bit taller and wider than the Casita and has a 2” receiver for a bicycle hitch on the rear. The layout of the bed also really looks nice for tall people.

I’m looking at options and see that they offer a composting toilet. Does anyone here use one or has looked at them? I’m just curious that if you were starting from scratch, would you do a composting toilet or traditional black tank?

Also, I know solar is way more complicated than X number of watts, but what kinds of solar systems and batteries do you guys use?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
You are tall? Have you walked through one yet? For reference I am 6’6”.

I really wanted an airstream until I visited a dealer and tried one out. Same with keystones montana and grand designs reflection. It was hit or miss if I could stand up in the shower. Jayco and GD solitude were the best, airstream I think the high point on the ceiling was about 6’7”. The fiberglass unit you have picked out is probably going to be uncomfortable if your tall and I would really suggest trying it on for size before writing a check.

As far as the toilet goes the black tank is going to be less odor but not as boondock friendly since its using a lot of water. I don’t really mind dumping it, just need to remember to pay close attention. There are lots of macerator pumps that will grind it up into a garden hose so you can pump it into any septic/sewer cleanout. State parks usually have dumping stations as well. Even flying J around here will have them if they have RV lanes. Its not that bad.

Good luck either way.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Well looks like I bought a trailer. Not going to be driving it around so I got one with a bunk room in the back that I can turn in to an office. It's just getting parked at a ranch as a cabin so I didn't go all out on a 5th wheel.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

rdb posted:

As far as the toilet goes the black tank is going to be less odor but not as boondock friendly since its using a lot of water. I don’t really mind dumping it, just need to remember to pay close attention. There are lots of macerator pumps that will grind it up into a garden hose so you can pump it into any septic/sewer cleanout. State parks usually have dumping stations as well. Even flying J around here will have them if they have RV lanes. Its not that bad.

Good luck either way.

Personally I prefer having a tank for where excrement goes rather than having it bagged up somewhere... I'm getting ~15 days reliably out of 40gal fresh/25/25 with some fresh left over (last 20% or so). Macerator pumps rule for using cleanouts. Composting toilets are cool and fine if you'll be near a place to dump the refuse daily...(like truckstops).
The only area so far I've found with sparse dumping stations is in CA's central valley.

Solar setup? 900W solar, 3.6kWh lithium, 3kW nominal/6kW peak Victron inverter.

CaptainTofu
Jun 1, 2021

At the other end of the solar spectrum I have 300w with a 220ah AGM battery and no inverter. It'll run the compressor fridge and lights as much as you like, and has plenty to keep devices charged. Wouldn't want to start running domestic appliances off an inverter regularly from it though. Would probably be OK even then if there was split charge as well as solar.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Atticus_1354 posted:

Well looks like I bought a trailer. Not going to be driving it around so I got one with a bunk room in the back that I can turn in to an office. It's just getting parked at a ranch as a cabin so I didn't go all out on a 5th wheel.

Nice truck for that. Post more pictures when you can.

Make sure the roof is good before you park it.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

rdb posted:

You are tall? Have you walked through one yet? For reference I am 6’6”.

I really wanted an airstream until I visited a dealer and tried one out. Same with keystones montana and grand designs reflection. It was hit or miss if I could stand up in the shower. Jayco and GD solitude were the best, airstream I think the high point on the ceiling was about 6’7”. The fiberglass unit you have picked out is probably going to be uncomfortable if your tall and I would really suggest trying it on for size before writing a check.

Good luck either way.

That’s a really good callout, I’m 6’4” and the interior height of the trailer is 6’3”. Better than the casita at 6’1”, but I’ve more or less come to accept there will be some give and take with the fiberglass RVs. I’m used to backpacking, so I just really want a solid roof and office I can plug into and work from, and an awning to stand up outside. That plus legroom on the bed to stretch out, and I’m happy. You guys have changed my mind on composting toilets though, probably better to work with what most other people are using. Thanks!

You’re absolutely right, I just need to visit a dealer. I think renting an RV for a weekend is the correct answer as well, see how I like it in practice. I’ve been pricing out rentals for longer trips like 2-3 weeks and figuring it’s probably better to buy at that point, but a few days would be sufficient to answer that question. The escape 21c I priced out came to about 45k with production scheduled for June 2023, so that’s quite a long ways out if I go that route. Do you guys think we’ll see an influx of used RVs this winter or next year with people who jumped into this and decided they didn’t like it or that it was too expensive? Or do you think demand is going to remain high past this winter? I feel like I remember seeing somewhere that RV demand was at an all time high even before the pandemic.

Over the weekend I was talking to one of my camping buddies and he told me he has an old pop up that had a tree fall against it and damage the roof that he’s looking to get rid of. My supposition is that at least the side wall of the top is damaged and needs replaced, if not the whole roof itself. Could be more extensive, I’m not sure, by he’d sell it for a few hundred and probably even help me get it fixed up. I watched a video on popup roof repair, and while it looks like an absolute bastard, it seems doable. Should I run or might this be a great opportunity to get something and get started?

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

OSU_Matthew posted:

That’s a really good callout, I’m 6’4” and the interior height of the trailer is 6’3”. Better than the casita at 6’1”, but I’ve more or less come to accept there will be some give and take with the fiberglass RVs. I’m used to backpacking, so I just really want a solid roof and office I can plug into and work from, and an awning to stand up outside. That plus legroom on the bed to stretch out, and I’m happy. You guys have changed my mind on composting toilets though, probably better to work with what most other people are using. Thanks!

You’re absolutely right, I just need to visit a dealer. I think renting an RV for a weekend is the correct answer as well, see how I like it in practice. I’ve been pricing out rentals for longer trips like 2-3 weeks and figuring it’s probably better to buy at that point, but a few days would be sufficient to answer that question. The escape 21c I priced out came to about 45k with production scheduled for June 2023, so that’s quite a long ways out if I go that route. Do you guys think we’ll see an influx of used RVs this winter or next year with people who jumped into this and decided they didn’t like it or that it was too expensive? Or do you think demand is going to remain high past this winter? I feel like I remember seeing somewhere that RV demand was at an all time high even before the pandemic.

Over the weekend I was talking to one of my camping buddies and he told me he has an old pop up that had a tree fall against it and damage the roof that he’s looking to get rid of. My supposition is that at least the side wall of the top is damaged and needs replaced, if not the whole roof itself. Could be more extensive, I’m not sure, by he’d sell it for a few hundred and probably even help me get it fixed up. I watched a video on popup roof repair, and while it looks like an absolute bastard, it seems doable. Should I run or might this be a great opportunity to get something and get started?

I would not jump into a full price brand new camper if your at all unsure as to weather or not you will like it or get enough use out of it. The popup might be a good idea if you think you can fix it.

RVs, boats, motorcycles are seasonal use products depending on where you live. There is almost always more used selection during the off season and prices are lower.

Also FYI although I can stand up in the Jayco I have I do have to duck and twist to make it through the bedroom door. 10 months of that had me at the physical therapist getting exercises to help. If your just doing weekends or maybe a month the ducking wont kill you but if your full time for a year its a problem.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

OSU_Matthew posted:

Pop-ups are extremely simple. Are you willing to commit to a month or two of weekends (or a few weeks) of teardown and rebuilding to get it all repaired correctly?
Some caveats for you not knowing your mechanical or tool abilities.

It won't be as cheap or easy as imagined.
Are you comfortable with tearing out more of the vehicle than anticipated? RVs are typically built from the inside out so to get at that one assembly that's been damaged or is in the way...3 adjacent panels parts or appliances will have to go first.
Basic hand tools both of the mechanics type and those of a woodworking nature will get you far.
Do the repair right, or have it fail at the worst possible time.
Marine parts shops are your friends here.

E: I did some repairs to a friend's coleman pop up a few yeras ago where the plastic fascia broke apart, some canopy hoop repairs and other work to it. It was fairly simple compared to what I've dealt with in TTs and motorized coaches.

You could ignore all of this, ham it with some eternabond and have a couple years worth of camping seasons with it.

Cheap RVs? Figure next year, maybe this fall with some bespoke campervans and other diy conversions.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I think there is also a local component to the used RV market. In the PNW in general and specifically in Portland, there are a ton of people living in busted rear end RVs and a ton of other people about to be homeless waiting to swoop in on anything below 5k so they can live in it. This means that anything below about 6500 is sketchy as gently caress and probably has been lived in by chain smoking pet hoarders. For some reason they never include the photos of the mouse droppings or the extensive water damage.

I looked at a number of cheaper RVs that looked great in the pictures but were scary in person. Before we decided to really up our budget I took The Whole family on a drive to a rural property over an hour’s drive away that had a really sketchy vibe. Some kid who must have been descended from the extras in Deliverance stepped it of the woods to show us the RV. He said he cleaned it “real good” and I am certain he believed it, but it was filthy and smelly and there was a plastic fork stuck in the ceiling and a mousetrap on the dash. The smell was terrible. It basically needed to be gutted and I think the kid thought it was ready to live in. Also his dad who owned it was supposed to be there but had gone to the bar and was not present.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Yeah I looked at a couple used Jaycos in Washington that were in rough shape for sure.

We got lucky and got our Rpod from a guy who'd had it for two months before realizing his pregnant wife hated it.

It's still a little bit older but once I fixed a few easy things it's perfect.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

cursedshitbox posted:

You'll be fiiiiine. Get sleep, have coffee or whatever, but most importantly, do not rush.
Things also go a lot smoother if you put together a simple checklist before leaving. I've seen a few newbies drive off with the stabilizer jacks down this season.

You were right. Everything was fine. I had way more fun than I though I would. 10 night and a combination of BLM land, full hookup, partial hookup and no hookup sites. I am now the master of the 5 minute hookup and disconnect. I don't even mind doing the nasty. (The sewage dump as my kids call it)

We were at Valley of Fire, Zion, Bryce and North Rim. The rental unit was a stripped down 25' from CruiseAmerica, but it was solid and everything worked. Can't wait to plan another trip.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Yeah I looked at a couple used Jaycos in Washington that were in rough shape for sure.

I was lucky that my Jayco was owned by an older couple who didn't drive it around. They just used it as a weekend home away from the city and had taken good care of it and even upgraded some stuff like the toilet and water heater. Now I get to be the one to fill it with cigarette burns and forks in the ceiling.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

rdb posted:

I would not jump into a full price brand new camper if your at all unsure as to weather or not you will like it or get enough use out of it. The popup might be a good idea if you think you can fix it.

RVs, boats, motorcycles are seasonal use products depending on where you live. There is almost always more used selection during the off season and prices are lower.

Also FYI although I can stand up in the Jayco I have I do have to duck and twist to make it through the bedroom door. 10 months of that had me at the physical therapist getting exercises to help. If your just doing weekends or maybe a month the ducking wont kill you but if your full time for a year its a problem.

I think you’re right… I don’t mind buying a new travel trailer, but then having to spend another 20-50k on a tow vehicle on top of that doesn’t really leave any room to actually go out and travel.

I love car camping, I love backpacking, I love traveling and seeing new places, so I feel pretty good about jumping into an RV. I just need to figure out some combination of trailer + tow vehicle that’d be comfortable for a few months at a time and hold up decently well. Tow vehicle may just have to be a clapped out truck with 200,000 miles on the odometer.

cursedshitbox posted:

Pop-ups are extremely simple. Are you willing to commit to a month or two of weekends (or a few weeks) of teardown and rebuilding to get it all repaired correctly?
Some caveats for you not knowing your mechanical or tool abilities.

It won't be as cheap or easy as imagined.
Are you comfortable with tearing out more of the vehicle than anticipated? RVs are typically built from the inside out so to get at that one assembly that's been damaged or is in the way...3 adjacent panels parts or appliances will have to go first.
Basic hand tools both of the mechanics type and those of a woodworking nature will get you far.
Do the repair right, or have it fail at the worst possible time.
Marine parts shops are your friends here.

E: I did some repairs to a friend's coleman pop up a few yeras ago where the plastic fascia broke apart, some canopy hoop repairs and other work to it. It was fairly simple compared to what I've dealt with in TTs and motorized coaches.

You could ignore all of this, ham it with some eternabond and have a couple years worth of camping seasons with it.

Cheap RVs? Figure next year, maybe this fall with some bespoke campervans and other diy conversions.

Good to know! I expect it would be quite the project, and I’m just not sure how well I’d juggle it with the other half finished projects on my plate right now. The thought of manually peeling apart the vinyl siding has me worried, but this might be the best way to get something and get out in a reasonable time frame.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Just installed a new faucet in my outdoor sink that has a threaded spigot so I can attach a hose and sprayer to clean kayaks and kids.

drat, with the hot water I could even rig it up as a shower head.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
The outdoor shower is one of my favourite things on my pop up. Mostly for hand washing but occasionally for an unsanitary kid or other cleaning job.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Went and looked at airstreams the other day and while I really liked the layout and space, my head was brushing up against the ceiling and the used ones they had in stock were more expensive than placing an order for a new one.

So, I did some more looking and wound up placing a deposit on the Escape 5.0 trailer. Earliest production slot is June 2023, plus another 3-5 months to manufacture the larger frame. So this basically gives me two years to aggressively save up and wait out some of the market disentangling itself from the pandemic. Plus I really like that I can tow the thing with a half ton pickup, so that gives me a bunch of options when buying a tow vehicle.

My other thought is that this gives me some time to see if I can pare down some of my poo poo so as to sell the house or make arrangements for someone else to live here. I’ve I’ve just accumulated way too much crap over the years that I’m not quite ready to get rid of yet. How often do you guys get out on the road and at what point does it make more sense to pay for a storage unit vs. paying utilities, insurance, taxes, and maintenance on an empty house?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
welp 9 months in the airsprings are now removed. I dropped the truckcamper off at a spring shop on thursday as the trails out here in the PNW are too much for the airsprings and their 4" of travel. The rear axle shifted to one side with the dead airspring causing all kinds of problems I can't fix in the field. Without the airsprings the main leaves do not have the capacity to handle the camper.
It took em three days of labor to respring the truck to deal with the campers voluptuous heft.

Since the truck spent the weekend in the shop(they're closed then), the camper got no solar or shore power. The low voltage cutoff was triggered on Saturday which safely powered the inverter and all the 12V systems down preserving the battery array. There wasn't much in the fridge, the sourdough starter survived, little else did. The systems automatically came back up today when we picked the coach up and headed for the highway.

Ride quality is ironically greatly improved. Cornering improved. I5 potholes and launch inducing ledges improved. dive under heavy braking, also improved. They also corrected the pinion angle for the double-cardan driveline built in 2018. I am over the moon with this work. I've not often paid a shop to fix stuff for me outside of the usual suspects. Given that I've no shop to build in, this was absolutely worth farming out.

Techspecs:
New capacity is as follows: 9572lb spring cap up front on 8600lb of tire capacity with 12,600lb out back on 8600lb of tire cap. Room for future tire(MPT81s?)/wheel upgrades, etc.
3 leaves in the front with 11 out back. This truck is now more F450/550(lol F-superduty was the name of the era) than not. With a regear to 4.56/4.88 it'd be capable of pulling the motos in an enclosed trailer now which renders no need for a new F450/550. The excess front spring capacity allows some tricks with weight distributing hitches.
Unloaded the rear is about 2" higher than loaded with the camper. I won't know what ride quality is empty as I don't really take the camper off. I'm gonna pin the camper to stop it from sliding back by using wood screwed to the underside of the camper where the 5th wheel plate is. Following that....noise abatement for the turbodiesel.

Time of pick up. Fresh tank is about 50% as are both holding tanks.. Both fuel tanks +/- full. LP nearly empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
I think it full time plans are on hold, we've kind've decided to put down some loose roots and have another kids first. So probably 5-10ish years away. But we can still look, so my wife and I went to a local dealer to do some walk-throughs.

Imagine 2800BH would be fine for weekends. Didn't have the 312BHTS to walk it. We looked at a 367BHS, which we really liked until we saw the loft in person. Just too short, even for a kid.

Then we saw a Solitude 390RK. Jesus Christ. Wife asked as we had seen it on a YouTube tour by LJMJ. Beautiful RV, not ideal with kids but that kitchen is to die for. Which is about what it would cost to afford it, plus a -450 to pull. Not anytime soon, but maybe something when we are ready to go full time. We'd have to compare to something like a 378BHS, but that's a ways down the road as they didn't have one of those either.

Tremor + (2800BH or 312BHTS) seems most likely for nearish term.