Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

change my name posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ulhFi5N2hc

Man I love reviews of bad products (but at this point everyone knows Alienware is bad, right?)

lmfao holy poo poo, that heatsink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

one thing they didnt show: if you put a hard drive in that hdd slot and then open up the power supply hinge thing it will snap the power connector right off the hard drive :)

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

change my name posted:

Man I love reviews of bad products (but at this point everyone knows Alienware is bad, right?)

they should just sell gouged cpu/gpu bundles and stop with all the pretense lol.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I suspect my hard drive may be making GBS threads the bed, read through the OP and didn't see any recommendations for specific hard drives. My current system is below (including the failing Seagate), I'd prefer to avoid another Seagate Barracuda since this one has burned out in three years. I see people in the thread leaning towards the 1TB Western Digital Blues; is there a particular reason people aren't ordering anything larger than the 1TB drives, and going with the blues, or is that just what the people from the last few pages have gotten?

I'm willing to pay a small premium not to have to gently caress with this again for the next five years (I'd say a budget of $250), and I'd like at least 2TB of storage.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock - X470 Master SLI/AC ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Patriot - Viper 4 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3400 Memory
Case: Corsair - 450D ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card
Storage Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
Storage Drive: Western Digital 1TB WD Blue 3D NAND Internal PC SSD
Storage Drive: Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Boot drive: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
Main monitor: BenQ GW2765HT 27-Inch 2560x1440 IPS Monitor

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 21, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Thanatosian posted:

I suspect my hard drive may be making GBS threads the bed, read through the OP and didn't see any recommendations for specific hard drives. My current system is below (including the failing Seagate), I'd prefer to avoid another Seagate Barracuda since this one has burned out in three years. I see people in the thread leaning towards the 1TB Western Digital Blues; is there a particular reason people aren't ordering anything larger than the 1TB drives, and going with the blues, or is that just what the people from the last few pages have gotten?

I'm willing to pay a small premium not to have to gently caress with this again for the next five years (I'd say a budget of $250), and I'd like at least 2TB of storage.

You didn't post your current system.

For new builds, we recommend an NVMe SSD and the Western Digital SN550 1TB is excellent value at around $100. They make 2TB drives for roughly double the cost but for most people 1TB is enough to get them started, hence that being the standard recommendation. I have both in my system though because I quickly chewed through that first TB.

The reason you don't see recommendations for specific hard drives is that in new builds they're generally unnecessary. If you just want a bunch of dumb media storage or whatever then yes get a HDD, you can get 4TB for under $100, but if you don't have an SSD or NVMe that you're currently running your OS on then please god do that.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jul 21, 2021

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Butterfly Valley posted:

You didn't post your current system.

For new builds, we recommend an NVMe SSD and the Western Digital SN550 1TB is excellent value at around $100. They make 2TB drives for roughly double the cost but for most people 1TB is enough to get them started, hence that being the standard recommendation. I have both in my system though because I quickly chewed through that first TB.

The reason you don't see recommendations for specific hard drives is that in new builds they're generally unnecessary. If you just want a bunch of dumb media storage or whatever then yes get a HDD, you can get 4TB for under $100, but if you don't have an SSD or NVMe that you're currently running your OS on then please god do that.
I edited in my specs (totally forgot to paste them in, sorry).

I'm currently sitting on ~650GB of stuff on the storage drive, don't anticipate it getting any smaller anytime soon (mostly media). I am most definitely running plenty of solid state storage. Should I just buy more solid state storage? Is it more reliable at this point?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

I think you're a little confused? The Blue drives people are recommending are SSDs, not HDDs. They aren't recommending more than 1TB because larger sizes start getting disproportionately expensive for SSDs. For you, if you want to replace a mass storage drive, I'd just pick up a WD Black or something. You can get 4TB for $150, with other sizes available. Blue HDDs are even cheaper if speed is of no concern (not that any HDD is going to be particularly speedy).

Thanatosian posted:

Should I just buy more solid state storage? Is it more reliable at this point?

Solid state storage doesn't scale up affordably, so for mass storage HDDs are still the way to go. I believe SSDs have surpassed HDDs in reliability at this point though due to the lack of moving parts. There are still random drive failures that happen before their expected end of life, but I guess it's not quite as big of a problem?

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 21, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
As a mass storage haver I'm basically banking on my 4tb HDD to get me over the line of equivalent capacity SSDs being affordable enough to bother with. I have no idea when or if that will be, but the HDD is trucking along quite happily for the present.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Butterfly Valley posted:

The SN550 is primarily attractive because the extra speed other drives offer is by and large unnecessary. Windows and current PC games are incapable of making good use of that speed. Hell, there isn't even all that big of a jump from SATA to NVMe. This may change with DirectStorage, which is coming to Windows 10 and 11 soon, and Microsoft is talking about further improvements to Windows 11 in this department. So at some point that extra speed may actually be useful, it's just not currently. Since future proofing is kinda dumb when you can't see the future, it's best to just go with whatever's Fast Enough at the most reasonable cost, and the SN550 strikes that balance well.

That said, I think goons have been sleeping on the Inland Premium. It's a Microcenter house brand, but it's apparently quite good using reputable components. Choosing a drive with DRAM over one without it is one of the less dumb ways to future proof yourself, especially since the Inland Premium typically ranges from $0 to $10 more than the SN550 depending on market fluctuations.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

change my name posted:

I am just gobsmacked at putting an Intel cooler on an AMD processor. The guy calls it lazy but I disagree; that's a gently caress ton of effort when you could just source some loving AMD coolers

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
The case on that "Alienware R10" is basically a garbage Dell Optiplex chassis ( on the likes of a PC that you'd find in a dentist's office) with a bunch of chintzy plastic slapped onto it. It's so awful.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
It's kind of hilarious to have a huge, plastic :airquote: airflow :airquote: case and then just shove a bargin-bin Dell case from 1998 inside of it like a Russian Nesting Doll.

Was Alienware ever reputable, before they were bought by Dell? My hazy, childhood nostalgia has them as the only ~gaming~ PC maker back in the 90s. Was it garbage back then too?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That said, I think goons have been sleeping on the Inland Premium. It's a Microcenter house brand, but it's apparently quite good using reputable components. Choosing a drive with DRAM over one without it is one of the less dumb ways to future proof yourself, especially since the Inland Premium typically ranges from $0 to $10 more than the SN550 depending on market fluctuations.

I haven’t read much on the drive, but frankly it’s an accessibility issue for most people itt.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I haven’t read much on the drive, but frankly it’s an accessibility issue for most people itt.

You can get it on Amazon. It was a popular recommendation for a while. They quietly changed controllers and reduced the ram a while back but what, if any, impact it had on performance is unknown. I suppose I could benchmark mine but :effort:, it's still good enough.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It's kind of hilarious to have a huge, plastic :airquote: airflow :airquote: case and then just shove a bargin-bin Dell case from 1998 inside of it like a Russian Nesting Doll.

Was Alienware ever reputable, before they were bought by Dell? My hazy, childhood nostalgia has them as the only ~gaming~ PC maker back in the 90s. Was it garbage back then too?

Yeah they were pretty reputable back in the day before getting bought by Dell. Kinda the same thing but they'd be custom building stuff and not using Dell methodology.

For what it's worth my dad has some alienware pc about 10 years old (still in the Dell era) with SLI and rudimentary AIO cooling in a full size ATX case for opening spreadsheets and PDFs and it's been fine for him - he *needs* the tech support that you get with those things, he uses it for every question he has about computer things (how do I get USB 3.0 speeds on my USB 2.0 computer?). Or maybe it's me who needs him to have this support.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

No, they were legit in the early days: you paid a premium, but for the most part you got a premium product. In terms of prebuilts they were about on par with Falcon Northwest in the late 90s. But that Gamers Nexus video… God, they’ve been completely hollowed out. That PC is nothing more than a lovely, corner-cutting Dell machine like any other I’ve seen in the last decade, but with a plastic shell on it. It wasn’t even that bad a decade ago. So much for my nostalgia.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 21, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

They were very legit if you had the cash. Falcon northwest is a good comparison.

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/alienware-area-51-extreme-review/

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm building a work computer for a family member. Literally no gaming, probably not even going to watch youtube videos.

Just how cheap can you go on GPU/CPU in that case? I'd like to keep the price down for them but I don't know if there is a point where you cut too many corners.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

You can probably get by in that case by finding an old ThinkCentre on Ebay and just cleaning it up. People use those as emulation boxes (all the way back to the 4th gen Intel Core stuff) a lot. Else for an entirely new build you're probably not going to need a GPU at all and can just grab an Intel CPU from a few gens back with integrated graphics.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Agent355 posted:

I'm building a work computer for a family member. Literally no gaming, probably not even going to watch youtube videos.

Just how cheap can you go on GPU/CPU in that case? I'd like to keep the price down for them but I don't know if there is a point where you cut too many corners.

Define "work". For word processing integrated graphics on an i3 / Zen APU are fine, heavy excel work might benefit from a beefier CPU, autocad or scientific computing have more substantial needs. The big thing is to have an SSD.

E: yeah for basic word/email/light excel a used office computer is the most efficient way to go. Get an i5, probably haswell (4XXX) or better. And an SSD.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
If you're set on building new, the 3200G at $99 looks like the best value APU you can get right now.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Thanks for the help, Goons.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Don't ever buy anything from CyberPower. If everything arrives perfectly functional (and you don't mind paying 50% over what the parts cost), then I guess great. If it doesn't then you will deeply regret that decision. They do not test anything before they ship it out.

You'd never see it before you placed an order, but they say "all components individually tested, system not tested". After dealing with them and the system they provided, I doubt even this sad assurance is true. It is also telling that their support FAQ is littered with "What do I do if computer doesn't POST? What do I do if I can't get into Windows? What do I do if everything crashes all the time?"

I assume all the SIs are the same in this regard, but this is my experience. I would have never ordered anything with them if things weren't the way they were. But trying to get a new GPU, and needing a new CPU/PSU/everything around it, I went ahead and ordered from them. Over the last week I have realized what a mistake that was.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

RVT posted:

Don't ever buy anything from CyberPower. If everything arrives perfectly functional (and you don't mind paying 50% over what the parts cost), then I guess great. If it doesn't then you will deeply regret that decision. They do not test anything before they ship it out.

You'd never see it before you placed an order, but they say "all components individually tested, system not tested". After dealing with them and the system they provided, I doubt even this sad assurance is true. It is also telling that their support FAQ is littered with "What do I do if computer doesn't POST? What do I do if I can't get into Windows? What do I do if everything crashes all the time?"

I assume all the SIs are the same in this regard, but this is my experience. I would have never ordered anything with them if things weren't the way they were. But trying to get a new GPU, and needing a new CPU/PSU/everything around it, I went ahead and ordered from them. Over the last week I have realized what a mistake that was.

"All components individually tested" means "All components were tested by each OEM at their factory, not by us" or "machine boots, it all works!"

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Quick question - in the event that they ever become real again, what graphics card would I need to drive a 1440p at 144 frames for not that modern games? Mostly playing Total War Warhammer (and will be playing TWW3), Guild Wars 2 and World of Warships. Looking for Nvidia due to the screen.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

tarbrush posted:

Quick question - in the event that they ever become real again, what graphics card would I need to drive a 1440p at 144 frames for not that modern games? Mostly playing Total War Warhammer (and will be playing TWW3), Guild Wars 2 and World of Warships. Looking for Nvidia due to the screen.

For TWW3: Probably nothing will do that. Even TWW2 is heavily demanding on max settings, so I doubt even a 3090, the most powerful consumer card out, will do 1440p at 144hz on ultra settings in TWW3.
For the other two: Maybe the RTX 3060 Ti is the most you need?

We can split the difference and say the 3070 to max out TWW3 at a smooth 60fps (this is just a hopeful guess, don't hold me to it), and it should handle those older games at 144hz with nothing to worry about.

The Total War games tend to be CPU-heavy too, especially when there are a lot of units present. So if you really want to guarantee smooth 1440p gameplay in TWW3, you may need to upgrade your CPU if you're currently using an older one. I'd at least try the game once it comes out before making that decision, though.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jul 22, 2021

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

For TWW3: Probably nothing will do that. Even TWW2 is heavily demanding on max settings, so I doubt even a 3090, the most powerful consumer card out, will do 1440p at 144hz on ultra settings in TWW3.
For the other two: Maybe the RTX 3060 Ti is the most you need?

We can split the difference and say the 3070 to max out TWW3 at a smooth 60fps (this is just a hopeful guess, don't hold me to it), and it should handle those older games at 144hz with nothing to worry about.

The Total War games tend to be CPU-heavy too, especially when there are a lot of units present. So if you really want to guarantee smooth 1440p gameplay in TWW3, you may need to upgrade your CPU if you're currently using an older one. I'd at least try the game once it comes out before making that decision, though.

Oh, I'm building a whole new computer, my current PC is six years old and getting increasingly prone to randomly hanging or powering off. Was aiming for the below. Thanks!

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (£244.99 @ Currys PC World Business)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler (£52.27 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£121.49 @ Amazon UK)
Graphics:Let's say a 3070 then
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (£71.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£73.98 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion+ 660 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£75.46 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £640.17
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-07-22 11:42 BST+0100

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Be careful about that case and its graphics card compatibility. Most 3070 cards I'm seeing squeeze in under the Define Mini C's listed max of 315mm long, but double check the spec sheet before buying, whenever it comes time to do that. And just be aware that if you intend to ever upgrade to a bigger card in the future (they're not getting smaller, I'll tell you that), you may have to get a new case.

Otherwise it seems like a fine build.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Yeah, thanks. I was worried about that, but I really do want a smaller case. I've got an ATX tower at the moment, and it's just too big for the bracket under my desk and heavy and awkward to get out.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
My friend hit me up and wants to go from no rig or parts to a gaming rig. I know they won't be playing anything too intense or above 1080p but I don't know how you even get a decent GPU for under 900 after taxes and shipping would it be better to get a gaming laptop with a gtx 2060 mobile or something? What do you recommend?

What country are you in? US

What are you using the system for? Gaming

What's your budget? 900 after shipping and taxes

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1080p on a tv

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Some people I work with have been trolling eBay hard and found 1060 and 1070 for relatively cheap (150-250) if you are really patient and are able to be a little lucky. I just learned this was a thing, so am always surprised to find the lack of options.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Can a 1070 even run anything these days?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Boba Pearl posted:

I would expect a 1070 with a 3.5ghz 4 core/ 8 thread processor can run pretty much anything at great settings in 1080p.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Boba Pearl posted:

There are tons of people with RX 570s and GTX 1050 Ti’s, and a 1070 handily eclipses both of those. 1080p60 shouldn’t be an issue for much of anything if the rest of the system is up to it. People get their expectations distorted by top end hardware.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Boba Pearl posted:

The 1070 is like the fifth most popular card on the Steam hardware survey, I'm pretty sure you can run most, if not all, games at 1080p 60 FPS on it

Edit: looking at the rankings, the percentage of users running a 1060 has actually gone up, and the 3070 is finally creaking its way up the charts, sitting at twice as popular as its nearest 30 series competitor, the 3080: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

change my name fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 22, 2021

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LorneReams posted:

Some people I work with have been trolling eBay hard and found 1060 and 1070 for relatively cheap (150-250) if you are really patient and are able to be a little lucky. I just learned this was a thing, so am always surprised to find the lack of options.

Those are probably cards that have been overcooked and used in mining rigs for months. They've been rode hard and put away wet.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

tarbrush posted:

Yeah, thanks. I was worried about that, but I really do want a smaller case. I've got an ATX tower at the moment, and it's just too big for the bracket under my desk and heavy and awkward to get out.

If you were so inclined, you could make the drop down to ITX easily enough without much tweaking of your component list. The NR200 has space for 330mm GPUs too.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Boba Pearl posted:

as above it will destroy 1080p 60fps, the most standard monitor specs. for 900 dollars a modern 70 series card is right out. if you were in the UK I'd straight up point to something like this

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/as...aign=2021-07-22

then give them poo poo to upgrade for birthdays or whatever like more memory, I think that's around 900 dollars. a 1660ti is not as good as a 1070 afaik, so that's the kind of range you're looking at.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

CoolCab posted:

a 1660ti is not as good as a 1070 afaik, so that's the kind of range you're looking at.

They're basically equal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

huh, I stand corrected. dang then that deal is better than I thought, ima go vote it hot.