Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Imagined posted:

It's been scientifically proven that more money DOES equal more happiness UNTIL you get to more than about (the equivalent of) $75,000 USD per year.

This stuff always reminds me of the articles from 20 years ago that would be stuff like “does owning a horse make you healthier?” Or “why do Europeans live longer than Americans? Is the Mediterranean diet the answer?”

Turns out if you’re rich enough to own horses you have good healthcare and preventative medicine, and Europeans don’t die at 63 from heart attacks because they have socialized healthcare and don’t work 70 hours a week for their whole lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

nah im sure it's the wine

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Azuth0667 posted:

Money helps get rid of the bullshit that makes you unhappy.

Also someone in management got mad because of this yearly survey comment:

"We can't eat prestige, pay us more you fucks!"

Lol they shared survey results and touted us being slightly above industry average for perceived ethics and communication. And deep in the red for opportunities for advancement & do you expect this survey to be taken seriously by management.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Azuth0667 posted:

Money helps get rid of the bullshit that makes you unhappy.

Also someone in management got mad because of this yearly survey comment:

"We can't eat prestige, pay us more you fucks!"

Our boss told us today he was discussing the recent survey with his boss and boss's boss was apparently shocked by some of the comments because they were so negative. Our boss told us this while chuckling and looking right at me as he said "I thought to myself, 'that must be one of MY assholes.'"

So here's hoping I actually DID hurt an executive's feelings by calling him out by name at every opportunity in those comments and calling him a worthless hypocrite who's afraid to show his face in offices because he knows how much he's despised.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Life is like a poo poo sandwich, the more bread you have the less poo poo you have to eat.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Space Kablooey posted:

nah im sure it's the wine

Always prepend "folks wealthy enough to afford to" (or variation) to anything explaining how a habit extends your lifespan or prevents stress related or old people diseases and it suddenly makes sense

Making complicated smoothies every morning

Drinking a glass of wine with every dinner

Eating chocolate daily

Going to a doctor once a year just for a checkup

I'm surprised no-one has tried to show that owning a private jet prevents kidney stones or some poo poo

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Somfin posted:

The impact of a significant pay increase cannot be overstated. Like, if you were just making ends meet, now you've got leeway, and if you were running out your paychecks, now you can't do that as easily without finding new expensive hobbies. It is a phenomenal mood boost day to day.

That being said, I switched jobs last year and actually had to take a pay cut of about €500 per month. Then to compound that, my big foreigner tax break for living in the Netherlands ran out and that was another €500 or so gone. At first this was quite a hit but I'm so much happier and satisfied with my new job that I think it was worth it. I still make enough money to afford my house and everything, we just had to cut down on frivolities and maybe not have as big of a vacation but still totally worth it. I expect to get a bonus and a raise this year so it will slowly catch back up.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

Imagined posted:

It's been scientifically proven that more money DOES equal more happiness UNTIL you get to more than about (the equivalent of) $75,000 USD per year. After that, more money will not generally make you happier if you weren't already. My guess would be that anything less than $75,000/year in most of the US involves some level of compromise or anxiety in terms of wants/needs.* I wouldn't know, but I do know that even at $50,000/year (the most I ever made) in one of the lowest cost-of-living parts of the country, there were still things we had to put off/do without/stress about.

*Yes I know that someone who lives in San Francisco is going to @ me about this, which is why I was careful to say things like "generally" "equivalent" and "most"

Adjusted for inflation that would be more like $100k these days

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

ultrafilter posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > Dumb poo poo your work does - We can't eat prestige, pay us more you fucks!

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
To the guy with a 5k monthly take-home. Due to taxes that's be the equivalent of a $100k usd/year job at like 30% the cost of living.

I get paid twice a month and my mortgage is one full paycheck (I do pay an extra 50% to repay early) , then I use about half of the other paycheck for bills and entertainment/frivolities.

The remainder goes into mutual funds and there's enough there now that the rate of return is like someone working a minimum wage job and giving me all their pay.

I make the same amount as you in a different market. Please put some money away so you don't have stress as an old.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
The company I used to work at got into The Times 100 top employer list 3 times. Which made me doubt the worthiness of that list.

it was wondered how the organisation got such a good rating since morale at our site was at a low, we were made to feel like second class citizens in the factory and warehouse, compared to the guys in the air-conditioned office, and the people who worked at the main office/R&D hub who could work flexi-time and probably got above-inflation pay rises.

The only answer we could think up was that either the sites were treated as separate, or the so-called impartial outside company was not so impartial at all and discarded the bulk of negative surveys. We also doubted that the surveys were anonymous since each entry had its own code.

Still. it was fun to vent in the surveys since it was often our only chance to do so to management.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Company sent out an announcement at 5:30 yesterday for the COO's town hall Q&A that was scheduled today for 7 AM.

The only question I listened to was about if he's concerned about all the attrition. He said that the cause is entirely because of negative attitudes and that employees just need to be more positive and then I blacked out.

Oddly enough, he sidestepped all the questions about why this was scheduled for 7 AM, what is he afraid of?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Monday was supposed to be the first day back in the office but they made it voluntary for now.

They made it until about lunch time before somebody ended up sick and tested positive for covid.

Who could have possibly predicted this would happen?

:shrug:

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
I wonder which sort of person, who must have been feeling at least somewhat ill beforehand, voluntarily went into the office.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Do you think any of the hundreds of galaxy brains that have written "Time to get back to the office!" columns have had even the slightest hint of self reflection about the effects of their words?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Marmaduke! posted:

Do you think any of the hundreds of galaxy brains that have written "Time to get back to the office!" columns have had even the slightest hint of self reflection about the effects of their words?

Does masturbating to stock prices and "metrics" count?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
My work didn't even bother trying to justify it with disingenuous appeals to teamwork, collaboration, or office culture. My supervisor just said, "[Boss's name] wants to see people in the office." This was also their answer one day when I asked if I could work the latter half of the day from home, i.e. no, because [boss] wants to see warm bodies in the office again. At least it's honest? Unfortunately, I don't have the skills, credentials or resume of many in this thread who can dictate their own terms, so I just have to go :smith: "...ok" while I quietly look for a better job.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Cthulu Carl posted:

Company sent out an announcement at 5:30 yesterday for the COO's town hall Q&A that was scheduled today for 7 AM.

The only question I listened to was about if he's concerned about all the attrition. He said that the cause is entirely because of negative attitudes and that employees just need to be more positive and then I blacked out.

Oddly enough, he sidestepped all the questions about why this was scheduled for 7 AM, what is he afraid of?

7am? gently caress off champ, video it and I'll maybe watch it when I wake up.

He's probably in his second home in New Zealand.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cthulu Carl posted:

Does masturbating to stock prices and "metrics" count?

what else do you imagine a manager to do?

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I don't think I want to leave my job unless it's a substantial pay bump.

I'm a controls engineer in NW/NC Indiana by all the steel mills on the great lakes. I work for a control systems integrator.

I have the most lenient boss. I leave early most days and can stretch my vacation a little longer with no push back.

Hell, I am taking a vacation in a couple of weeks and that just happens to fall on the installation for my project. I told my boss about it and he told me, eh, we have a couple other guys that can go instead, just get them up to speed.

Right now I'm between projects so I'm teaching myself drawing.

BigSlacks
Aug 21, 2003
Our vaccinated CEO who worked from the office basically since the pandemic started caught COVID. As a result, they've decided to postpone the company return to office by one month.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Imagined posted:

I don't have the skills, credentials or resume of many in this thread who can dictate their own terms

Most of those people have a massively inflated sense of their own worth and ability, I wouldn't worry about it. Almost everyone is a replaceable cog in the machine, and anyone who thinks otherwise is the literal one in a million exception to Dunning-Kruger.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Marmaduke! posted:

A lot of those appear to be written by commercial real estate companies

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Yeah, but I'm a 41 year old with an associate's degree in liberal arts. My previous job was the night shift at 7-Eleven. I'm constantly and daily aware that I basically won the lottery to even have a 9-to-5, M-F office job that provides health insurance for my entire family. I'm always one bad week away from being back in service industry hell, and I never forget that.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Marmaduke! posted:

As far as they're concerned the pandemic is over and everyone who is returning should have gotten vaccines.

I like to read Garth Turner's blog as a way of getting a sense of how the wealthy in society think. He does not pull punches with his views. His recent post both says returning to the office is inevitable and that there is another wave brewing among the unvaxxed, but doesn't seem to think that's a problem, that we'll all be back at our desks sooner or later and mostly sooner.

https://www.greaterfool.ca/2021/07/19/worries-2/

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

AHH F/UGH posted:

@kntfkr

My advice on that one: Google Chrome Remote Desktop. The thing is a lifesaver. I have a work laptop but now that I'm working from home I just gently caress around on YouTube and games all day on my desktop, and if I ever have to do something for my real job, I just use the remote desktop viewer. You could probably install it on your office PC for the other job's laptop and run the con that way.

I know you said you were thinking about quitting regardless but you might be able to swing it that way for the cash until you figure out what you wanna do.

I left the company/got fired/quit/ clashed with the boss too hard to keep working there. Trying to line up a fully remote position to get the income back up. Was not digging unnecessary forty minutes of driving or 8 hours of sitting a day anyway. I have a lot of time to apply for jobs off climbing gym wifi now and I still have my base income so I'm not too upset.

My wife is also an immigrant! But she's been in removal proceedings for 6 years and allowed to work; ain't the immigration system fun? Let's be friends

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Imagined posted:

Yeah, but I'm a 41 year old with an associate's degree in liberal arts. My previous job was the night shift at 7-Eleven. I'm constantly and daily aware that I basically won the lottery to even have a 9-to-5, M-F office job that provides health insurance for my entire family. I'm always one bad week away from being back in service industry hell, and I never forget that.

Goons are super helpful and supportive so if you've been at your job for a while and have enough experience on your resume that you think you can start looking for something better and the market is decent in your area then there are people willing to help you move uo/up.

Changing jobs every 3 to 5 years is the new standard promotion system, at least in the office world. It sucks and I hate it but that's how it appears to be.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I wonder if anyone has managed to turn working from home into a second job through cam shows or something. Take off a sock every time you send an email or something. There's gotta be market for that sort of bullshit.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
That seems like an unnecessary step.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Got an interview today. Made my hair look nice and put on a nice shirt so I'll look reasonable in camera view. Still wearing pajama bottoms.

This is the most proactive I've ever been about lining up a new job, since my current contract doesn't end until mid-October. But better safe than sorry. Usually I just start looking a month before my contract is gonna run out or one time I got laid off an spent 5 months waiting for next job to start....

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Outrail posted:

I wonder if anyone has managed to turn working from home into a second job through cam shows or something. Take off a sock every time you send an email or something. There's gotta be market for that sort of bullshit.

Lemme reset passwords and tell users "per my last email" while I sit in an inflatable hot tub in my basement.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Cthulu Carl posted:

Lemme reset passwords and tell users "per my last email" while I sit in an inflatable hot tub in my basement.

Thanks for subscribing to my onlyfans

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Outrail posted:

Regular subscribers get to watch me filling out spreadsheets through my webcam. Double premium subscribers get to watch a screenshare. Enjoy those hot hot internal profitability numbers! Insider trading has never been so sexy. :heysexy:

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I'm just gonna violate the dress code and present HR with a choice.

Fire me for wearing pajamas or let me work from home.

I will make money either way.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Imagined posted:

My gut is telling me you are selling yourself short. Keep the stable thing you have now but stop making GBS threads on yourself.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Outrail posted:

Half my coworkers don't even want to see me in camera, and they're paid to do it. You think anyone is gonna pay money to watch me be really mad about computers doing what we told them to do and not what we wanted them to?

Azuth0667 posted:

My gut is telling me you are selling yourself short. Keep the stable thing you have now but stop making GBS threads on yourself.

Seriously, this too. The 9-5 gives you actual work experience on your resume. It's completely different from just trying to find a job with an associate's; you've shown you can actually stick around for a couple years without being fired for jerking off into the printer toner or whatever. It still sucks for automated HR gatekeeping where no BS = no looks, but your odds are better now.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The difference between having a bachelors on your resume or not is just a few lines of text.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Imagined posted:

I also feel this way too and all I can say is, sorry friend - for me, the trauma of no safety net in capitalism drives this sort of existential anxiety and I have to work hard not to sink myself. The thought I could easily become homeless and no one would really care is upsetting. Not sure what else to say but: talk therapy helps.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I have a bachelors but I’ve seriously thought about just buying a degree with one of those services that the employer can call to verify you “attended college” if I had to do it all over again. 99% of employers don’t check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Currently getting my Master's, paid for by my employer, and I wish I could just pay someone to take these courses for me. I don't actually care about any of these classes. Just doing it so I can day I did it.