Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Morter posted:

I haven't played Normal yet :sweatdrop:

I've only played for a few days. I've just been playing Easy, getting C-rankings, but soon consistently getting B rankings.

I was wondering i I should get A-rankings or, like a previous poster said, I should learn deadeye first, etc etc. I'm not exactly shooting for record breaking scores, I just want to play this sort of right, at least!

In my experience getting a high score and being able to beat the higher difficulties are completely different skills in Pistol Whip. I can barely get an A on any track even on easy but I can beat every track in the game on hard. Higher difficulties mostly just require more moving around to dodge the higher amounts of bullets whereas getting higher scores involves timing and aiming your shots perfectly which I'm pretty bad at.

I tend to play with my feet fixed in place otherwise I end up moving around too much and end up punching my desk or something and on hard that makes for a hell of a workout. It's a great way to kill your legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

So with the new update to the Risk of Rain 2 VR mod Dr. Bibop created the new new VRAPI so mod authors can do nutty poo poo like let you play as Metroid in VR

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Just spent a bit over two unbroken hours in Hotdogs Horseshoes and Hand Grenades playing the new open-map Take and Hold and that poo poo owns so hard. Just fantastic.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My Quest 2 now asks me to set a boundary every time that I start using it. Earlier today, I used it and it asked me to create a boundary. 3 hours later, I go to use it again and it asks for the boundary again even though I was in the exact same spot.

Any idea on what I can do?
Have you tried more consistent lighting? Empirically it seems to make a difference when I play in a closed-off room with steady lights vs when I play under a skylight and actual reality changes.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

KakerMix posted:

Just spent a bit over two unbroken hours in Hotdogs Horseshoes and Hand Grenades playing the new open-map Take and Hold and that poo poo owns so hard. Just fantastic.

Oh??

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Grashnak posted:

In my experience getting a high score and being able to beat the higher difficulties are completely different skills in Pistol Whip. I can barely get an A on any track even on easy but I can beat every track in the game on hard. Higher difficulties mostly just require more moving around to dodge the higher amounts of bullets whereas getting higher scores involves timing and aiming your shots perfectly which I'm pretty bad at.

I tend to play with my feet fixed in place otherwise I end up moving around too much and end up punching my desk or something and on hard that makes for a hell of a workout. It's a great way to kill your legs.

Thank you, this is the kind of guidance i wanted (in terms of what/where to focus on). Much appreciated!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

:golfclap:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It's on a separate Alpha build for this week while ironing out bugs.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

thecluckmeme posted:

Since I've had it, the Quest 2 has been a brilliant combination of frustration and astonishment. It has some of the coolest cable-less VR experiences that I imagine you can get vs. current headsets, but it is so loving fiddly. One update will break a key component of the whole system, but when that component works it just fuckin WORKS. I had a couple solid months of little-to-no issues, then delved into VR desktop/AirLink, which worked for another month but now it's super fiddly.

I feel like it's the best intro headset for its pricepoint, but if you're willing to buy a gaming PC just to try out all the options available in the VR shops, I can't see why I shouldn't have saved up another good deal of cash for a headset that has all of the extra poo poo figured out more than the Oculus does. The Quest 2 can't even figure out how to connect to my router 70% of the time now :(

That being said, I also don't want to give valve 1000 dollars, nor do I want to turn around and give facebook however much for a rift when they can't even get their entry level poo poo to work with a computer via WiFi. I have to buy a PCI-E card to even have Link work with the recommended powerline USBC-A cable, and I won't spend 80 bucks on the Oculus cable.

This is absolutely the fool's hobby for somebody that wants to just play Myst in VR, but god loving dammit I am that fool and I love this stupid hobby

Several people have noticed an increased amount of problems with the wifi connection on the current firmware, v30. Maybe on the next one will be fixed.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
All this Lone Echo talk got me to download the game again. I originally played it on the Oculus CV1, and playing it again on the Index it's incredible just how well it has held up. A ton of little interactions with the environment are still way better than a lot of modern vr games. I love scanning poo poo and pulling out the little card, and then you can touch to scroll and it feels completely natural.

No idea why I floated away from this :smug: but I'm gonna finish it this time!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

EbolaIvory posted:

Hes added so much content, and graphical upgrades, that its almost a new game at this point. Its wild. Highly highly recommend. Then review the hell out of it and be like "RELEASE THE FULL GAME ALREADY YOU TWAT"

I fell off the first roller.

This may be the most immersive VR game I've yet played, stepping off onto a moving block is tension city - am I going to run into something IRL ? Which way am I really facing ?
This is recommendation BTW.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nuts and Gum posted:

All this Lone Echo talk got me to download the game again. I originally played it on the Oculus CV1, and playing it again on the Index it's incredible just how well it has held up. A ton of little interactions with the environment are still way better than a lot of modern vr games. I love scanning poo poo and pulling out the little card, and then you can touch to scroll and it feels completely natural.

No idea why I floated away from this :smug: but I'm gonna finish it this time!

Just an FYI for anyone playing Lone Echo for the first time, wrap up your side-tasks (eg; finding all the CubeSats) before you do all three main tasks as there is a point of no return that kicks off immediately once they're done.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

thecluckmeme posted:

In my experience? That's normal.

Not for me. My Quest 2 remembers guardians in 3 different rooms, even allowing me to leave one and walk to another, and the location of my sofa. It occasionally forgets one if the lighting is drastically different, but not often.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

mllaneza posted:

I fell off the first roller.

This may be the most immersive VR game I've yet played, stepping off onto a moving block is tension city - am I going to run into something IRL ? Which way am I really facing ?
This is recommendation BTW.

I jumped once, down a thing. Yeah. I tucked and ended up on the ground swearing for a while.

This game I highly recommend turning on the floor bounds you have setup. No walls but at least the persistent ground lines. XD

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

chippy posted:

Not for me. My Quest 2 remembers guardians in 3 different rooms, even allowing me to leave one and walk to another, and the location of my sofa. It occasionally forgets one if the lighting is drastically different, but not often.

Mine keeps trying to tell me I should be using the one down in the living room when I'm in the study, even though it correctly shows it about ten feet below me.

Does anyone else like putting their headset on just outside the guardian so they can step forward and see the real world melt into the virtual one? No? Just me then.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

chippy posted:

Same, but only 2 rooms here.

V30 broke tracking for a lot of people, I had to factory reset to get it to stop losing tracking mid game. I had to redraw my guardian on every startup and sometimes it would lose tracking while doing that.

You will lose your balls

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Party Boat posted:

Does anyone else like putting their headset on just outside the guardian so they can step forward and see the real world melt into the virtual one? No? Just me then.

That's my favorite thing to have people do when I get them to try my headset!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I also had to factory reset my quest a month or so ago when the tracking went on the fritz. It was losing tracking mid game and forcing me to re-draw the guardian though so if yours is just when you're starting a session maybe that's not the same thing.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

v31 for Quest
https://www.oculus.com/blog/new-oculus-software-update-makes-it-easier-to-play-games-with-friends-and-adds-new-security-settings/

-First up is a new “Invite to App” button that will soon be supported by a number of apps. Located in the Quest universal menu when you’re in a supported VR app, you can use it to send a pop-up invite notification to friends, people you recently played with, or in-game connections.

-Second, we’re also making it easier for you to set up multiplayer sessions outside the headset. Navigate to the Social tab in the Oculus mobile app on iOS or Android, select the VR app you’re planning a session for (you’ll be able to pick from any supported apps that you have installed), and it will generate a custom Invite Link for you.

-Messenger on Oculus also gains a few new features with v31. We’re adding Send and Read Receipts, so that it’s easier to keep track of your conversations in VR the way you would on other platforms. We’re also adding Reactions,

-A new Security Settings panel. You can set or reset an unlock pattern there (or do it in the Oculus mobile app), and then toggle whether the pattern is required to log in to your headset or access any saved passwords on your device.

-Wait, passwords? That’s right, you can now choose to save and autofill your passwords in the Browser as part of v31.
Passwords remain encrypted on the headset, and of course you can also delete any passwords you no longer want stored.

(and in addition, it seems v31 will have some fixes for Air Link)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oh real changelog here
https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/General/Quest-build-v31-release-notes/td-p/877560

Air Link

Improved the dynamic bitrate to reduce the occurrence of stalls and high latency, while also improving visual quality.
Added the ability to access the Oculus menu (press Oculus button) during a connection timeout (3 dots screen).
Identified and fixed a bug that caused Air Link to crash.
Fixed an issue where some AMD drivers could crash when running Link/Air Link.

USB-C Audio

You can now use USB-C headphones with your Quest 2. For the list of supported USB-C headphones and adapters, see our support article here.
If both 3.5mm and USB-C headphones are plugged in, then the audio will play on the 3.5mm headphones.
If your 3.5mm or USB-C headphones have mics, they will be disabled as headphone mics are not supported on either the 3.5mm or USB-C ports.

Universal Menu

We’ve made the Library, Settings, Notifications, and other menus larger for improved ease of use.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

lame

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

SUPERNOT

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Super Lame

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Weird

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

EbolaIvory posted:

Super Lame

SUPER LAME SUPER LAME

Yeah disabling it as an option was good, but fictional selfharm, like fictional whatever, can be a good tool to create a tone, a vibe, in a game.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Is $100 a reasonable price for selling my old CV1? Not sure how much demand there is for these units now that the Quest 2 is out...

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
isn't the end of the game shooting yourself in the head? so is there a different ending now or???

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

NoDamage posted:

Is $100 a reasonable price for selling my old CV1? Not sure how much demand there is for these units now that the Quest 2 is out...

You can make a LOT more money selling each piece individually. I think the last time I looked just the cable in decent condition was going for about $100.

Some people really like their CV1s and the replacement parts are no longer being produced, so people are willing to pay decent money.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

I don’t really mind this at all. The end made me really uncomfortable and not because the tone was too dark, just the action of doing it was not good. Plus the whole plot is pretty dumb and not that interesting. Wasn’t worth it IMO.

The Ghost Writer
Jun 27, 2012
:ghost:
Shameful Outlet

That is totally going to break the permadeath mod :mad:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Is sensitivity as a whole so nuanced that you can have a blast dual-wielding VR uzi's at a bunch of people but when you suddenly stick a floppy disk gun to your head it becomes too much?

I mean I'll respect their decision I just imagine the 'constant murder death kill' enough of a content warning for someone not willing to be looked at by a boxy-rear end gun barrel.

Edit: That said, I'm glad I beat it before I lost it. Not tht it's any great loss, but I do appreciate the originally intended vision. :shrug:

Morter fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 21, 2021

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Stan Taylor posted:

I don’t really mind this at all. The end made me really uncomfortable and not because the tone was too dark, just the action of doing it was not good. Plus the whole plot is pretty dumb and not that interesting. Wasn’t worth it IMO.

Sure but like, why remove it after they already made it an optional toggle?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dear customer, we have decided that you cannot be trusted with the ability to make decisions about your own experience so we have made the choice for you.
We're sorry it took us so long and we promise to do better in the future.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

Dear customer, we have decided that you cannot be trusted with the ability to make decisions about your own experience so we have made the choice for you.
We're sorry it took us so long and we promise to do better in the future.

There are people who struggle with suicidal ideation in real life and don't need the imagery brought into virtual reality. Having an edgy/cringey mechanic for it that you have to opt-out of by default, there's nothing wrong with the creators choosing to remove it on review.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Turin Turambar posted:

USB-C Audio

You can now use USB-C headphones with your Quest 2. For the list of supported USB-C headphones and adapters, see our support article here.
If both 3.5mm and USB-C headphones are plugged in, then the audio will play on the 3.5mm headphones.
If your 3.5mm or USB-C headphones have mics, they will be disabled as headphone mics are not supported on either the 3.5mm or USB-C ports.

Who was asking for this? The thing has a normal headphone jack.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

There are people who struggle with suicidal ideation in real life and don't need the imagery brought into virtual reality. Having an edgy/cringey mechanic for it that you have to opt-out of by default, there's nothing wrong with the creators choosing to remove it on review.

Okaay, why not make it opt-in then?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

That makes me think of what Persona 3 VR would be like (you summon demons in Persona 3 by shooting yourself in the head).

It did make me a bit uncomfortable in Superhot TBH and even more so it did in Persona 3 flatscreen.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCMW1-7ssdA

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 21, 2021

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

As someone who has dealt with suicidal idealization for a lot of my life, psh, come on.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Private Speech posted:

It did make me a bit uncomfortable in Superhot TBH

I feel like that's kind of the point? It seems evident moreso in non-VR SUPERHOT where the concept/looming dread of "losing yourself" to the most innovative shooter you've seen in years is kind of the theme/setting.

Not trying to defend it as a concept but evoking different feelings is what I imagine they were going for, in the same way you (very minor spoilers in non-VR SUPERHOT) go to your character--that's sitting at a VR machine--and shoot at your body from afar.

It just felt spooky for me and I think that was the intention. Just feels odd to take that out now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

njsykora posted:

Who was asking for this? The thing has a normal headphone jack.

phones haven't had normal headphone jacks for years so people have accumulated usb-c headphones instead