Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

What if you have unlimited slushies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Slushie bathtub allows survival until they warm up

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
This + America's failing electrical grid infrastructure terrifies me. I can't imagine how awful it must be in the global south. They're even more hosed.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

While the Israel electric company is very corrupt the grid seems to be in good condition, on the Palestinian side though...

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

To a layman, 35 degrees wet bulb temp is the point where the air is 100% humid at 35 degrees Celsius. At this point, it can carry no more water so evaporative cooling via sweating doesn’t work - the sweat simply will not evaporate. At this point your body can’t shed waste heat (which it generates at a constant ~100 watts while doing literally nothing) and you eventually go hyperthermic and die.

Higher temperatures with dry air are ironically much safer since given enough water you’ll sweat enough to dissipate the heat. They’re just exhausting since your body is spending more energy moving water around to sweat out, which has an energy cost.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Drone_Fragger posted:

To a layman, 35 degrees wet bulb temp is the point where the air is 100% humid at 35 degrees Celsius. At this point, it can carry no more water so evaporative cooling via sweating doesn’t work - the sweat simply will not evaporate. At this point your body can’t shed waste heat (which it generates at a constant ~100 watts while doing literally nothing) and you eventually go hyperthermic and die.

Higher temperatures with dry air are ironically much safer since given enough water you’ll sweat enough to dissipate the heat. They’re just exhausting since your body is spending more energy moving water around to sweat out, which has an energy cost.

35ºC Wetbulb temp can occur at higher ambient temperatures as long as the humidity is high enough at that temperature to prevent perspiration cooling you enough to survive.

(Look for the twb=35ºC line).

https://almeco.eu/en/blog/what-wet-bulb-temperature

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tarezax posted:

Gender reveal parties have done far more damage to life and property than these balloons

So you're saying we should start bombing buildings suspected of containing party supply stores?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
https://twitter.com/swilkinsonbc/status/1409578192772513796?s=20

https://twitter.com/LinahAlsaafin/status/1409752611792764933?s=20

https://twitter.com/AlQastalps/status/1409758204666560512?s=20

https://twitter.com/lenapalestina/status/1409781594106126339?s=20

:smith:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My favorite terrible part is that some of these homeowners are being court-ordered to destroy their own homes or face criminal penalties

Like this belongs in a movie like Brazil or some poo poo

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
The excuse given quite often especially in east Jerusalem is that the buildings being forcibly demolished were built without a permit.

I bet you can guess how many permits have been issued for Arab construction in Jerusalem since 1967.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Lum_ posted:

The excuse given quite often especially in east Jerusalem is that the buildings being forcibly demolished were built without a permit.

I bet you can guess how many permits have been issued for Arab construction in Jerusalem since 1967.

Some, but a disproportionately small amount.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Epicurius posted:

Some, but a disproportionately small amount.

Specifically 7% in recent years, for 40% of the population.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/06/israeli-pm-suffers-setback-in-vote-on-arab-citizenship-rights-law

59-59. Wow.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Yes! One Draconian law defeated, dozens more to go.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

quote:

Bennett proposed a compromise with liberal members of the coalition that would have extended the law by six months while offering residency rights to some 1,600 Arab families, a fraction of those affected.

"You can have what you want, or you can have a fraction of what you want, because we're fremds :)", hell of a compromise.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

That's really interesting, because right-wing MKs outnumber the left quite considerably in the Knesset. That's why a guy like Bennett is PM now - the current governing coalition is a left-right alliance to oppose Bibi's far-right alliance, so the Knesset should still have a comfortable majority in favor of conservatism and racism. There are definitely not 59 votes for Palestinian equality in this Knesset.

The Guardian fails to elaborate on this stuff, but JPost has got an explanation.
https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/why-is-the-citizenship-law-dividing-the-govt-explainer-672967

quote:

Although opposition parties Likud, United Torah Judaism, Shas and MKs from the Religious Zionist Party all repeatedly voted to extend the law when in power, they have refused to support its further extension under the new coalition as a way to embarrass the government.

Opposition leader Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday said Bennett was to blame for the inability to extend the law once again since he formed a government with “anti-Zionist elements.”

Instead, the opposition has proposed a Basic Law for immigration that would serve as a permanent measure preventing Palestinians and citizens from enemy states from obtaining citizenship.

Any conflict between other Basic Laws, such as the Basic Law for Human Dignity and Freedom, would be overridden by the Basic Law on immigration.

If the coalition passes this law in a preliminary vote with a view to passing it into law within two months, the opposition would support the extension of the current, temporary Citizenship Law for that two-month period, Netanyahu said.

So Netanyahu's whole alliance is voting with the left and the Arab parties, and demanding much further-right legislation as the price to stop. Pressuring right-wing Bennett by threatening to push politics left and blame him for it, while shoring up their own right-wing cred by demanding far-right legislation that the left parties would absolutely hate.

It's a high-risk, high-reward strategy, and I'm surprised he's managed to unite the entire opposition behind it. I don't have much faith in Bennett's will to resist it, though.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Time to see if Bennett actually has some strength of character.
I don't have much faith in him either, but miracles have been known to happen.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So I’m sure by now everyone has heard about Ben & Jerry’s saying that they will no longer sell their products in the Occupied Territories, which has led to US and Israeli politicians losing their goddamn minds.

https://twitter.com/abc7ny/status/1417778927553163266?s=21

https://twitter.com/senatorlankford/status/1417813410818019329?s=21

That last one is a good way to get OK’s law challenged on 1st Amendment grounds

I believe that the Israeli PM made some vague threats about doing something in response to this but I haven’t heard if they are taking any action. B&J is owned by Unilever which is an enormous corporation.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
This is an absolutely fantastic example of "proof you can't do anything". The entire world, including at times the US, considers those occupations of Palestinian land by Israeli groups to be illegal and a violation of international law. All B&J's is doing is not selling ice cream in those specific areas. That even this extremely targeted and mild protest is getting this kind of pushback is the international equivalent of the Bors cartoon where you're not allowed to protest, you're just allowed to die.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

FlamingLiberal posted:

So I’m sure by now everyone has heard about Ben & Jerry’s saying that they will no longer sell their products in the Occupied Territories, which has led to US and Israeli politicians losing their goddamn minds.

I believe that the Israeli PM made some vague threats about doing something in response to this but I haven’t heard if they are taking any action. B&J is owned by Unilever which is an enormous corporation.

As someone that try's to adhere to the bds list of businesses, this feels like a small victory.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Hold on, they're only stop the sale in the west bank?? Are they still gonna sell in Israel?

Continuity RCP posted:

Settlers will have to drive to get this one treat

I'm even more confused about why this is such a big loving deal, and to be honest probably makes it harder to get for basically only palestinians so it's not even a good hill to die on for b&j.

Miftan fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 21, 2021

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Miftan posted:

Hold on, they're only stop the sale in the west bank?? Are they still gonna sell in Israel?

Settlers will have to drive to get this one treat

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Miftan posted:

Correct, everyone rallying against this is specifically saying the settlements should not be hampered in any way.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Miftan posted:

Apparently. The way social media discussions framed it, I was also briefly under the impression that they're no longer selling in Israel.

Yawgmoft posted:

This is an absolutely fantastic example of "proof you can't do anything". The entire world, including at times the US, considers those occupations of Palestinian land by Israeli groups to be illegal and a violation of international law. All B&J's is doing is not selling ice cream in those specific areas. That even this extremely targeted and mild protest is getting this kind of pushback is the international equivalent of the Bors cartoon where you're not allowed to protest, you're just allowed to die.
Yeah. Back when I was under the impression that debating this matter can make some sort of difference, I was all about "I thought you wanted Palestinians and their supporters to stop being dirty terrorists and fight for their cause in a democratic and peaceful fashion"... But yeah, not the sort of thing where demonstrating wild hypocrisy really matters.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 21, 2021

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
They intend to stop selling in OPT, and whether or not they still sell in Israel was up to the board; Unilever overstepped their boundaries.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/ben-jerry-s-withdraws-sales-israeli-settlements-clashes-parent-company-n1274403

Honestly, if Israel is declaring them antisemitic terrorists for withdrawing from illegal settlements, I could see them mustering the spite to not pursue a new distribution agreement.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I know they won’t hold up in court but it still blows my mind we have a majority of states with laws stating you must bow before a foreign power and questions their policies is forbidden in order to do business with the domestic government

Also :lol: the Israeli PM basically threatened illegal retaliation against an American company for not selling ice cream to illegal settlements and no one in power in our country gave a poo poo. Could you imagine if China made vague threats about illegal attacks against an American company because they refused to do business there over human rights violations? TV anchors and senators would be crying for the harshest penalties

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 21, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I know they won’t hold up in court but it still blows my mind we have a majority of states with laws stating you must bow before a foreign power and questions their policies is forbidden in order to do business with the domestic government

Also :lol: the Israeli PM basically threatened illegal retaliation against an American company for not selling ice cream to illegal settlements and no one in power in our country gave a poo poo. Could you imagine if China made vague threats about illegal attacks against an American company because they refused to do business there over human rights violations? TV anchors and senators would be crying for the harshest penalties
There are some ongoing lawsuits in places like TX where for some reason to be a state employee you have to sign something saying you will not boycott Israel. The courts have not been very kind to that so far, to say the least.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It has already happened with South Park and Hololive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Ii36VhWoU

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

FlamingLiberal posted:

"You can't just boycott isreal over this! Also we're gonna boycott you over this"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Dumb question: But if you don't sell in occupied territories and do sell in Israel this only stops Palestinians from buying right?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^^
Well and the settlers living there, which I think is the point.

Holy poo poo that's quite a reaction. Could they be scared shitless that boycotts will take off like with South Africa? First they come for our ice cream, then they'll come for our jet fighters

Grouchio posted:

It has already happened with South Park and Hololive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Ii36VhWoU

Why am I not surprised he's never seen how Xi is written.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

HootTheOwl posted:

Dumb question: But if you don't sell in occupied territories and do sell in Israel this only stops Palestinians from buying right?

There's a manufacturing facility and two shops south of Tel Aviv that they appear to be contracted through until 2022.

The comment about staying in Israel came from Unilever without consulting B&J and according to this section:

quote:

When Unilever acquired Ben & Jerry's in 2000, the companies crafted an unusual acquisition agreement that legally vested an independent board with control over the ice cream company's social mission, brand integrity and policies. That means the board has to approve any changes to the product, licensing deals, new markets and social mission statements.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/ben-jerry-s-withdraws-sales-israeli-settlements-clashes-parent-company-n1274403

So the message is muddled because Unilever is undercutting it.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

I don't think Palestinian sections of the West Bank count as occupied, but also did Israel let Palestinians have ice cream in the first place?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Yawgmoft posted:

I don't think Palestinian sections of the West Bank count as occupied, but also did Israel let Palestinians have ice cream in the first place?

They don't? I thought it was all occupied territory because of the embargo and how Israel acts with such impunity.
Sounds like I'm wrong on this.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Yawgmoft posted:

What are you imagining the west bank like? It's not gaza. It's an area with a lot of injustice happening but it's a pretty regular place you can just go with normal stores and KFC restaurants and whatever. Your christian aunt visited a bunch of west bank locations on her church group trip. They have icecream.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What are you imagining the west bank like? It's not gaza. It's an area with a lot of injustice happening but it's a pretty regular place you can just go with normal stores and KFC restaurants and whatever. Your christian aunt visited a bunch of west bank locations on her church group trip. They have icecream.
*If you are Israeli

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Yeah I'm not sure why I should assume Israel lets Palestinians have anything in Gaza or the West Bank, but if the question is "doesn't this mean no Palestinians get Ben and Jerry's either" that includes people in Gaza, who have a very strict embargo imposed on them.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
"Occupied territories" means the israeli settlements, not the whole West Bank. I don't think the settlements are generally where palestinians go shopping. Or are allowed to go shopping if they wanted to risk being beaten to death by a crowed of chuds at the grocery store.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Ok so if I have it right:
BnJ was going to pull out of Israel (or at the very least terminate their contract with a Tel Aviv plant)
Unilever stepped in (because the own them) and made them stay in Israel
BnJ therefore could only pull out of the occupied territories, which are only the settlement parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Saudi and Israeli lobbyists/advocates have been exercising undue influence over American foreign and domestic policy for at the very least the 35 years I've been on the planet and outside of niche lefty-adjacent spaces, it's not really talked about. The American media machine has spent the last 5 years hemming and hawing over how a handful of memes posted by Russian edgelord teens stole the election for the red team in 2016, but you're an anti-semite or islamophobe if you question how much money and influence the Israeli or Saudi government holds over US policy.