Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I'm pretty sure Ford's administration spent a good chunk of their pre-pandemic run gutting funding to French language schools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
https://twitter.com/safetodo/status/1417651296723668997

This thread says a hell of a lot of the current state of discourse in Canada. A very vocal and small minority are making the pandemic more dangerous with their lunacy.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's entirely ridiculous to compare Doug Ford, who speaks exactly one language, to Mary Simon, who speaks two languages, one of which is a language spoken in the territory now known as Canada well before some pale fuckin' settlers decided to step foot anywhere near it; a language which has endured, despite attempts to commit cultural genocide by those same settlers.

This is not an English/French issue. This is about the persistent devaluing of the First Nations and their cultures and languages, right now being done primarily by one specific language group in Canada.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

And yet many of them do, and pride themselves on the ability to answer their constituents in the language they use to ask their questions. It's okay to aspire to more than the bare minimum.

Franco-Ontarians are maybe 5% of the population tops. It'd be nice if he did, but no, I don't think anyone worth listening to seriously expects this of him

Yeah in no way was I saying it's bad for a politician in Ontario to speak French. It's just not an expectation.

The example given of people getting mad about Trudeau speaking French was Trudeau responding in French to someone who asked a question in English. TBH I think that's a bit rude. If you speak both languages, answer in the language in which you were asked. Otherwise you are assuming the person asking the question is bilingual in the same languages you are. They may not be, in which case you may be answering their question but you aren't answering them in your response.

Also, in the converse, here in BC Adrian Dix always reads all the boring numerical updates on beds, mask supplies etc in French and in English. In that case it seems a bit performative. There are very few francophones in BC (about 1%). A much larger percentage of the population speak languages other than French. Sometimes reporters will ask him to provide a French response and that makes sense to me.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Goosed it. posted:

The example given of people getting mad about Trudeau speaking French was Trudeau responding in French to someone who asked a question in English. TBH I think that's a bit rude. If you speak both languages, answer in the language in which you were asked. Otherwise you are assuming the person asking the question is bilingual in the same languages you are. They may not be, in which case you may be answering their question but you aren't answering them in your response.

Yeah. In the moment he was thinking "I'm in Quebec, hence I must speak in French", which isn't a wrong thought, but it's not one that should persist long enough for you to actually start talking before you realize it's rude to switch languages on someone who isn't expecting it.

PT6A posted:

This is not an English/French issue. This is about the persistent devaluing of the First Nations and their cultures and languages, right now being done primarily by one specific language group in Canada.

Done by a small number of shitheads who happen to be using their language group as a cudgel, morelike.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

PT6A posted:

It's entirely ridiculous to compare Doug Ford, who speaks exactly one language, to Mary Simon, who speaks two languages, one of which is a language spoken in the territory now known as Canada well before some pale fuckin' settlers decided to step foot anywhere near it; a language which has endured, despite attempts to commit cultural genocide by those same settlers.

...what?

Segue
May 23, 2007

I wanted to shift the thread energy a bit to this incredibly liberal feminist energy shop I came across https://www.madamepremier.com/

The owner is apparently a former BC Liberal so the progressivist bona fides are already in doubt but enjoy:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Unrelated but I have a vaccine question. This week Ottawa has been shutting down certain vaccination sites in order to preserve doses as demand eases off. When I spoke to my trainer yesterday he said that he still needs to wait another two weeks for his second shot since he was only able to book his first one late (being in that under 40 crowd like me). I'm wondering if the easing off of the vaccination drive is being done more by hesitancy or by the fact that several of the people waiting for shot 2 are still on the 28 day buildup period from shot 1. Does this track or do we have a larger antivaxxer movement in Ontario than I'm aware of?

Segue
May 23, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Unrelated but I have a vaccine question. This week Ottawa has been shutting down certain vaccination sites in order to preserve doses as demand eases off. When I spoke to my trainer yesterday he said that he still needs to wait another two weeks for his second shot since he was only able to book his first one late (being in that under 40 crowd like me). I'm wondering if the easing off of the vaccination drive is being done more by hesitancy or by the fact that several of the people waiting for shot 2 are still on the 28 day buildup period from shot 1. Does this track or do we have a larger antivaxxer movement in Ontario than I'm aware of?

We'll have double vaccinated 70% of the 12+ population by the end of the month. A lot of the mass vaxx clinics were set up when we ramped up and were doing close to 2% of the population a day.

While there is a large anti-vaxx movement of about 10%, we'll probably be close to 85% of adults first dosed by the Fall so it's a lot more one-on-one and targeted outreach in specific areas: there's no need for huge centres once people can just drop by their GP or pharmacy or community centre and we're playing the game of inches.

The vaccine effort is being integrated into more daily primary care operations and hopefully we keep at it.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think it's a bit of both. In BC we are seeing a similar thing. In the late spring when they had a surge in supply and decreased the waiting time between doses it was like opening the flood gates because so many people were already at the minimum waiting time. But, now we have people who want to get vaccinated but aren't yet at the minimum time so the second dose uptake will be more gradual.

There are also always people who won't get a second dose, the same way that there will always be people who don't finish their course of antibiotics. I also think we've lost some of the excitement at a societal level. When only a small percentage of people had gotten dose 2, it was still a "big deal" but it seems much more routine now. That decreased excitement might slow some people in getting that second shot.

I think it's important to differentiate between people who are anti-vaxx and those who are vaccine hesitant. There's good evidence to suggest that at least some vaccine hesitant people will get vaccinated as more evidence accrues showing the vaccines' safety, and as the way in which vaccines are delivered changes from mass clinics to something you can get from a trusted care provider.

Goosed it. fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 21, 2021

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/McAllister_Mark/status/1417899366925414404?s=20

Good look Toronto.

Also LOL at the number of people with "catholic" or "christian" in their profile showing their whole rear end.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

apatheticman posted:

Good look Toronto.

Also LOL at the number of people with "catholic" or "christian" in their profile showing their whole rear end.

They did the encampments in Alexandra park yesterday. The big one in Bellwoods was taken out a couple weeks ago.

Every time it's like this, and they are not stopping.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

apatheticman posted:

Good look Toronto.

This is so disgusting. I haven't spoken to anyone in Toronto who supports this, even well-off old people. Although, I haven't talked to anyone who supports dofo, so....

But, in a serious way, what can be done to stop this? Anything? Writing to councillors doesn't seem to be very effective.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Goosed it. posted:

This is so disgusting. I haven't spoken to anyone in Toronto who supports this, even well-off old people. Although, I haven't talked to anyone who supports dofo, so....

But, in a serious way, what can be done to stop this? Anything? Writing to councillors doesn't seem to be very effective.

/r/toronto is overwhelmingly pro police doing this it seems from the couple threads I saw

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Goosed it. posted:

Nothing that you don't already see being done in that video, except writing your councillor and MPP.

Toronto city council has a very slight conservative leaning majority and the provincial parliament is a PCPO majority, so I wouldn't get too excited about the prospect of either stepping in to prevent the encampments from being shut down.

It's frankly a minor miracle they waited until the summer to do this. But of course had they tried during the winter they would have had to admit that the shelter system had already collapsed between the cold weather demand and COVID

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 21, 2021

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/aballinga/status/1417936511593504769

Holy poo poo the greens are pure wtf.

Also, loving Toronto, and gently caress the police. ACAB

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-skilled-trades-enforcement-doug-ford-college-1.6109825

quote:

Ontario stopped enforcing credentials in skilled trades, right after Doug Ford took power

Provincial inspectors aren’t checking if mechanics, electricians, other skilled tradespeople are certified

For three years running, Ontario has not enforced its rules requiring tradespeople — such as electricians, auto mechanics and plumbers — to be certified, CBC News has learned.

Enforcement of Ontario's compulsory certification of licensed trades ground to a halt right after Premier Doug Ford's government took office.

It means that since the middle of 2018, there has been no provincial oversight of whether the people working in Ontario's licensed trades actually have the credentials to do the work.

"It's like having an environmental act with no enforcement," said Patrick Dillon, business manager of the Provincial Building and Construction Trades Council, a grouping of labour unions.

"You can't have a trades qualification act and compulsory licensed trades and not have enforcement," said Dillon in an interview.

The lack of enforcement affects not just tradespeople, but also potentially anyone who hires an electrician, a plumber or a mechanic.

"You as a consumer pay a premium dollar to have your car serviced," said Lou Trottier, owner of All About Imports, an auto service garage in Mississauga, Ont. "If you find out it was done by an unqualified, unlicensed person, it kind of leaves a bad taste in your mouth, doesn't it?"

The mandate to enforce the province's skilled trades certification rules lies with the Ontario College of Trades (OCOT), an agency created in 2009.

Ford made a campaign promise to scrap the college, describing it as burdensome red tape for businesses. His government passed legislation in the fall of 2018 to begin winding it down.

However, OCOT still exists and was supposed to continue carrying out its core duties, including enforcing credentials in the trades where licensing is compulsory.

Ontario requires certification in 23 licensed trades, including electricians, plumbers, crane operators, refrigeration technicians, hairstylists and a whole range of automotive work, such as brakes, transmission and auto body repair.

It's illegal to practice any of those trades in Ontario without the proper certification. It's also illegal for an employer to hire someone who isn't authorized to perform the work of those trades.

"One of the main responsibilities of the college is to ensure that individuals performing the skills of compulsory trades have the training and certification required to legally practise this trade in Ontario," says a current statement on the OCOT website.

There is little evidence the agency has carried out that responsibility over the past three years.

College inspectors found more than 4,200 people working without proper authorization in the licensed trades in each of 2015 and 2016, the last full years for which figures are available.

Yet since June 28, 2018, the day before the Ford government was sworn in, there is not a single notice of contravention posted on OCOT's website. There are also zero Provincial Offences Act convictions posted since July 2018.

Before the Ford government was elected, college enforcement officers made thousands of visits annually to construction sites, automotive garages and body shops to validate the credentials of skilled tradespeople.

Government officials admit enforcement stopped, even though the law remained in place.

"Since we formed government, OCOT inspectors have taken an educational role," said Ryan Whealy, acting press secretary for Monte McNaughton, the minister of labour, training and skills development, in a statement.

"We heard loud and clear from workers and management that OCOT, including its enforcement, was deeply politicized and ineffective," said Whealy.

The lack of enforcement over the past three years is a source of frustration for tradespeople who continue to pay their mandatory annual fees to remain licensed in Ontario. The $120 fee was reduced to $60 in 2019.

Dillon characterizes it as a sort of legalized theft. "When you're paying for something and you're not getting it, that is just a breach of the contract," he said.

He acknowledges there may have previously been problems with enforcement, but argues that those problems "should have been fixed rather than blowing up the college."

Trottier said the lack of enforcement irritates him. "I play by the rules. I'm a stickler for rules. And I would love everybody to be forced to play by the rules as well," he said.

The Ford government recently announced the Ontario College of Trades will be replaced effective Jan. 1, 2022 with a new Crown agency called Skilled Trades Ontario.

The legislation for the new agency shows that certification will remain mandatory in the designated trades, and McNaughton promises it will be enforced.

"As we move forward this summer, we'll ensure that the compliance and enforcement regulations are worked through," McNaughton told CBC News on Tuesday.

"I can assure everyone out there working in the trades that we'll ensure that enforcement is present on job sites."

A panel commissioned by the Ontario government is recommending the new agency focus on training and certification in the trades, and the responsibility for enforcement go to the Ministry of Labour's occupational health and safety inspectorate.

Trottier questions whether the college's enforcement of compulsory certification in the auto service sector was ever effective. "I think if you ask the average technician what the Ontario College of Trades actually does for them, they'll shake their heads and go, 'I have no idea.'"

Despite his sense that the lack of enforcement in the past three years was unfair, Trottier doesn't believe it harmed his business.

"All around me, there are businesses that use unqualified staff," Trottier said. "I would love if the Ontario College of Trades would go in there and correct that. But at the end of the day, it doesn't necessarily impact me that much, because I only use staff who meet what my customers expect."

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

bunnyofdoom posted:

=
Also, loving Toronto, and gently caress the police. ACAB

I love living in Toronto but holy gently caress this city hates the poor and always has.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Purely anecdotal but safety inspections and just mol inspectors on the ground in general had been absolute piss over that time period. A lot is probably just COVID but poo poo has--again, anecdotally--gotten far more dodgy on constuection sites around Ontario.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Slotducks posted:

/r/toronto is overwhelmingly pro police doing this it seems from the couple threads I saw

That's just reddit generally though for some reason

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

There's definitely pockets of ACAB, but its a bit more of specific subreddit thing. The Ottawa sub definitely has some of that, but then also has a lot of vocal crazies and/or gets regularly brigaded.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Back when I worked in plumbing supply I was shocked at how many of my customers didn't know basics from the first week of trade school. That at least partially explains why.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
The two things /r/toronto is reliably right wing as gently caress on are how homeless people are treated and cops at pride.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Seems like a fun class-action lawsuit waiting to happen.

My property was damaged due to you not verifying this poo poo.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

enki42 posted:

The two things /r/toronto is reliably right wing as gently caress on are how homeless people are treated and cops at pride.

I see lots of posts on these homeless clearings that are literally copy and paste from the same threads months ago. It's very weird

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

apatheticman posted:

Good look Toronto.

This is one of those things that kind of just make my eyes pop out because I live nearby, I see people on twitter and reddit just making poo poo up. From my experience its kept clean for the most part and the encampments were nothing like they're making it up to be, yet the most upvoted post on the reddit thread on it making it sound like it's like a third world slum with gun violence, etc. Other people who live nearby and sharing their stories of not really having problems getting downvoted. I don't know if its vote brigading or what, but it really makes me sick.

mila kunis fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 21, 2021

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

linoleum floors posted:

I see lots of posts on these homeless clearings that are literally copy and paste from the same threads months ago. It's very weird

It’s so bizarre. There are so many posts about needles in Trinity Bellwoods. One poster said that they “sat down on a bench to comfort their crying baby” and saw 6 needles scattered around them. Another said that the city recently had to test the soil for narcotic levels.

I lived close by for like 6 years (moved recently) and had never even seen a needle in the park. Always felt safe. I know lots of people in the area with kids that take them there. It’s like Redditors are living in a different reality.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Starks posted:

It’s so bizarre. There are so many posts about needles in Trinity Bellwoods. One poster said that they “sat down on a bench to comfort their crying baby” and saw 6 needles scattered around them. Another said that the city recently had to test the soil for narcotic levels.

I lived close by for like 6 years (moved recently) and had never even seen a needle in the park. Always felt safe. I know lots of people in the area with kids that take them there. It’s like Redditors are living in a different reality.

"Principal Skinner and Ms. Krabappel were in the closet making babies, and I saw the baby, and the baby looked at me."

That's literally what it is. The very tiniest kernel of truth, probably misinterpreted, taken completely beyond any degree of reason.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Starks posted:

Lmao bellwoods is like yuppie central, the biggest litterers in bellwoods were always the kids who come in on the weekend. I don't know if these reddit posts are right wing fantasists or anti-homeless astrotufers from property developers or something

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lol make up your mind Greens. Did they gently caress up the first time they canceled or did something happen in the last 48 hours that made them change their mind?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Lol make up your mind Greens. Did they gently caress up the first time they canceled or did something happen in the last 48 hours that made them change their mind?
They didn't cancel or change their mind. An arbitrator told them to cancel it, so they did. Now they're appealing that decision. It's the same power struggle continuing in a different venue.

Here's a little bit more detail:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/annamie-paul-green-party-legal-action-1.6111847

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Starks posted:

Another said that the city recently had to test the soil for narcotic levels.

Does such a test even exist?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

supersnowman posted:

Does such a test even exist?

I mean, it sounds very obviously made up. Even if there was such a test, what, are people just putting fentanyl in the ground? It makes no sense. I agree with Mila that it’s some kind of disinfo campaign but I didn’t want to sound like a conspiracy theorist (even though I am)

Starks fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 22, 2021

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I work downtown and would walk to work every morning and home every evening through some of the "worst" parts of Victoria. I guess I'm lucky because other than really depressing and sad sights of extremely visible homelessness, (and even then they would mostly tuck themselves in corners out of sight) I never really saw anything dangerous. But there's always some suburban dad on reddit posting daily poo poo like: "Tried to go downtown today but while I was looking for parking a homeless person attacked our car and smashed the window" "Had to go downtown to deal with the insurance claim from the last time I was downtown and a gang of homeless people set my car on fire. I tried to file a police report but the desk sergeant told me confidentially that due to Mayor Lisa Helps they basically can't prosecute any homeless person for any crimes" "Hopefully the last time I'll ever have to go downtown, I was minding my own business when a group of homeless people start shooting at me with zip guns made from stolen bike frames. When a reporter asked me about the weapons and I said they were made from stolen bike parts I was SHAMED for assuming the parts were stolen just because they were made by houseless people"

and then there will be 20 replies of similar people all agreeing such things happen to them almost every time they go downtown and how every business owner they know is trying to sell and leave Victoria because between bike lanes and homeless people business is dead.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

They didn't cancel or change their mind. An arbitrator told them to cancel it, so they did. Now they're appealing that decision. It's the same power struggle continuing in a different venue.

Here's a little bit more detail:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/annamie-paul-green-party-legal-action-1.6111847

Oh so it's even dumber. The arbitrator gave her a last minute reprieve and she took it as a victory and now the party is even more incensed and out for her blood.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/playground-planned-for-former-victoria-tent-city-site-1.3833185

Apparently when the homeless camp in Victoria was cleaned up a few years ago they removed most of the soil in the park due to contamination from drugs, fuel spills, and human waste. The above article is the best I could find and I suspect the drugs were the least of the worries there but I don't know for sure. They also turned it into a playground which might have lower tolerance for contamination than if it was going to be something else.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
I once saw a doc where they were testing wastewater in London (England) and could tell, in general, what the popular drugs were at the time, so there might be a grain of truth to it.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Chicken posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/playground-planned-for-former-victoria-tent-city-site-1.3833185

Apparently when the homeless camp in Victoria was cleaned up a few years ago they removed most of the soil in the park due to contamination from drugs, fuel spills, and human waste. The above article is the best I could find and I suspect the drugs were the least of the worries there but I don't know for sure. They also turned it into a playground which might have lower tolerance for contamination than if it was going to be something else.

I think this stuff must be for optics. I can't imagine the soil being so meth-infested that rain wouldn't wash it away. It's not like addicts are scrounging around the soil snorting hits of dirt

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Metabolites of drugs are not drugs, or else drug dealers would be out of business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Tippecanoe posted:

I think this stuff must be for optics. I can't imagine the soil being so meth-infested that rain wouldn't wash it away. It's not like addicts are scrounging around the soil snorting hits of dirt

No, it’s totally like how when a gas station gets torn down you can’t develop on that land until all traces of gasoline have been cleaned up. :v: