Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Because Nolan sucks.

Yeah as I get older the weaknesses of Nolan as a filmmaker become more obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Schumacher gotham - Burton gotham - begins gotham - adam west gotham - tdk and tdkr nolan gotham - titans gotham

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Schumacher Gotham has the most insane set design I’ve ever seen.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Nothing can match BTAS Gotham.

Though that's kinda cheating.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
In Dark Knight Rises it was so obviously the financial district of Manhattan at times that it was actively distracting.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

In Dark Knight Rises it was so obviously the financial district of Manhattan at times that it was actively distracting.

Similarly watching The Dark Knight after living in Chicago for six years really takes you out of it. Especially because the street signs are unchanged.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Henchman of Santa posted:

Similarly watching The Dark Knight after living in Chicago for six years really takes you out of it. Especially because the street signs are unchanged.

So much of DKR was filmed right next to where I worked that I would see signs for like, my favorite lunch place in the background and whatnot. It was really distracting.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I haven't been to Chicago in years and it was still weird. But I work in the Financial District and it took me completely out of the movie as I wondered why they'd use such aggressively recognizable Manhattan locations for a fictional city.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

VanSandman posted:

Yeah as I get older the weaknesses of Nolan as a filmmaker become more obvious.

Yeah, I think partly his peccadilloes are more noticeable both because we've all gotten older and because he's put out more of a catalog, it's easier to see the trend. Also he's gotten a lot worse as a filmmaker. Insomnia's loving great, and although it's flawed The Prestige holds up pretty well too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kinda gets weird since, thematically, Gotham City has basically been New York, and a bit of Chicago, to the point of outright taking the place of said city in-universe, so aggressively using Manhattan might have been exactly the point.

Metropolis varies a bit more traditionally, though BvS takes the funny route of Metropolis being NYC while Gotham right across the bay is New Jersey.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Metropolis varies a bit more traditionally, though BvS takes the funny route of Metropolis being NYC while Gotham right across the bay is New Jersey.

That's basically how it is in the comics if the wiki is anything to go by.

Bruce Wayne is New Jersey royalty.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Sorry to interrupt super hero and predator chat, but I've been on this mission to watch 70s-80s movies that I somehow missed up to this point. Last night's feature was Midnight Run with Robert De Niro and Charles Grodin for the first time last night. I thought it was a good movie and kept me solidly entertained for two hours.

The problem? The musical score is quite possibly the most grating music to ever grace a movie. Most of it sounded like kooky sitcom music that could have been used in a bizarro world Seinfeld and really cheapened the movie. It also didn't help that it was mixed so it was 1.5x as loud as everything else in the movie. It bad enough that I almost turned it off and found something else because the "music" was that bad.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Movies in the 80's are gonna be weird as synthesisers/electronic music started coming in. Nothing like a serious period piece getting these warble synth sounds to make everything more :catdrugs:.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda gets weird since, thematically, Gotham City has basically been New York, and a bit of Chicago, to the point of outright taking the place of said city in-universe, so aggressively using Manhattan might have been exactly the point.

I prefer the continuity where Metropolis is in Delaware, because it’s very funny to imagine Metropolis being in Delaware.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I prefer the continuity where Metropolis is in Delaware, because it’s very funny to imagine Metropolis being in Delaware.

While in some cases (like Smallville) it's in Kansas.

Funny thing is that in some versions of the endlessly retconned/rebooted DC universe, there's also a New York. Which is called 'The Cinderella City' in-universe because Gotham and Metropolis overshadow it.

Also I think BTAS has 'Gotham State' license places.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Isn't DC's Philadelphia equivalent called something dumb like Penn City?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Schumacher Gotham has the most insane set design I’ve ever seen.

Its honestly amazing. I'd love to see a non-batman movie with the same city design. Really out there.

Some of the spaces in Schumacher Gotham are like, insanely non-realistic. There's one point where Batman & Robin jump the batmobile on some huge skyscraper and its just bonkers. But in a good way.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I wish Schumacher had never apologized for his version of Batman. It seems clear to me that he was going for an update of the vibe of the Adam West show and B&R remains one of the most fun 'so bad it's good' movies to rewatch. I know it's not what modern Batman fans wanted but he directed it, not them. I've definitely watched B&R more often, on purpose, than I have Batman Forever. Or Batman Begins. Or Dark Knight Rises. DC could use a lot more of that willingness to embrace the campy, colorful, goofy side of comics over the grimdark 'realism' of the Nolan/Snyderverse.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Also Schumacher was under pressure to produce tons of toys they could sell, which is why they didn't go with Tim Burton again in the first place, right?

So at that point some of the bad decisions were probably things the studio pushed on him.

But yeah, while they're definitely not anything close to great movies, I really enjoy B&R and BF and I think they both get a really bad unfair rap from people who don't get that its on purpose.

Course by that token I think Waterworld is an underrated movie so I'm just crazy.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, the toy line for Batman & Robin was created before the movie and then those things had to be included. That’s why Batman, Robin, and Batgirl have several costume changes throughout, and they suddenly have three brand new vehicles at the end that they use for ninety seconds.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I believe those Batman movies are where the word "toyetic" came from.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Seriously these matte paintings and miniature sets are up there with like, Blade Runner

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The upcoming Batman is filmed in Liverpool, I think it makes for an interesting Gotham.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Annabel Pee posted:

The upcoming Batman is filmed in Liverpool, I think it makes for an interesting Gotham.

https://youtu.be/m0GUbAImHuw

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If anyone itt is into physical media I highly recommend the Batman UHDs, the whole series is really excellent. The Schumacher films look great with HDR.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Man the thought of everyone in Gotham sounding like the vultures in Jungle Book slays me.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Joel Schumacher is unironically one of my favorite directors.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Armacham posted:

Joel Schumacher is unironically one of my favorite directors.

Flatliners, Falling Down, St. Elmo's Fire, even D.C. Cab and 8mm are bangers.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Wasabi the J posted:

Man the thought of everyone in Gotham sounding like the vultures in Jungle Book slays me.
Same, but Ringo Starr.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Android Apocalypse posted:

People also seem to forget that he did two of the best Grisham movies, The Client and A Time To Kill, right around the same time he did the Batman movies. That's range.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
:lmao: I have Schumacher's IMDB page open and completely skimmed over The Client and A Time To Kill, both of which I like.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Those are good but the best Grisham movie is the Rainmaker.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Turning Red looks kinda cute.

is Disney seriously doing a loving prequel to live action Beauty and the Beast?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Turning Red looks kinda cute.

is Disney seriously doing a loving prequel to live action Beauty and the Beast?

If they do, I got an IIMM: Luke Evans in leading roles. I like Luke Evans, in theory. He was among the less mind-numbingly boring parts of The Alienist, he was a mean and gorgeous Zeus in The Immortals, he's generally OK to good in small doses. But when he does anything more than a supporting character, my mind switches off. It's like if you increase his screen time and importance for the overall movie, he transforms into Sam Worthington. I haven't seen the live action Beauty and the Beast, but have seen Evans' Gaston song on Youtube and I was bored to tears by one of the greatest Disney villain songs of all time.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I still think it was weird that both Luke Evans and Orlando Bloom were in the Hobbit, and Luke Evans looked more like Orlando Bloom than Orlando Bloom did

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I can't recall the name of the movie, but Luke Evans plays a serial killer in it, and he's damned good at it. Dude plays unhinged pretty well. Wish he'd get more chances to be a villain. Same movie has the girl from the second silent hill movie in it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Imagined posted:

I wish Schumacher had never apologized for his version of Batman. It seems clear to me that he was going for an update of the vibe of the Adam West show and B&R remains one of the most fun 'so bad it's good' movies to rewatch. I know it's not what modern Batman fans wanted but he directed it, not them. I've definitely watched B&R more often, on purpose, than I have Batman Forever. Or Batman Begins. Or Dark Knight Rises. DC could use a lot more of that willingness to embrace the campy, colorful, goofy side of comics over the grimdark 'realism' of the Nolan/Snyderverse.

I think Batman and Robin has a secret progressive message.

It makes a mockery of its superheroes, a family of billionaires who operate outside the law, by depicting them flaunting their credit cards and wearing molded rubber suits to pretend they have muscles.

Meanwhile it never really gives us a reason to dislike the "villains:" a woman who wants to plant more plants and a man who wants to cool down the planet.

Like, I'm not totally up on when various characterizations of Batman characters got locked down, but I know that since the animated series Mr. Freeze has universally been portrayed as a tragic antihero, and Poison Ivy genuinely doesn't seem to have a goal other than "more plants now" and she only hurts people tangentially. I stan them both

Android Apocalypse posted:

St. Elmo's Fire is extremely bad garbage and like half the characters in it are rapists.

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 23:18 on Jul 21, 2021

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Bangin' theme song though.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Phy posted:

I still think it was weird that both Luke Evans and Orlando Bloom were in the Hobbit, and Luke Evans looked more like Orlando Bloom than Orlando Bloom did

It was seriously distracting how much Luke Evans looked like Will Turner in the Hobbit, I thought I was losing my mind,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I can't recall the name of the movie, but Luke Evans plays a serial killer in it, and he's damned good at it. Dude plays unhinged pretty well. Wish he'd get more chances to be a villain. Same movie has the girl from the second silent hill movie in it.

No One Lives. That was the one that turned me off of him as a leading man, sadly. I like the director, and I liked Evans from previous supporting roles, but that movie did not come together for me at all. In no small part because I got tired of Evans' performance very early into the movie, and it only got worse when he went full Terminator on the bunch of unlikable rednecks later on. He does smug untouchable prick very well, I will give him that.

There is apparently another movie with Evans as a serial killer and the actress of the girl he had kidnapped in No One Lives and I never bothered to check if those movies are connected.