Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I have a win10 home server which isn't running any fancy NAS software or anything like that, just a small cheap PC with a big HDD that is accessed via RDP, running a plex server. Every now and then, maybe once every two months, I find it's turned off. I suspect it's windows update forcing a restart but then it doesn't automatically log in to the windows account and maybe shuts down after sitting in the login state for x hours? It doesn't seem to coincide to windows updates on my main PC all the time. When I spot check it with hwinfo64 it's never overheating, seems to be running pretty normally, don't really see anything concerning.

How do you check to see what it was that gave the last command to turn off/restart a PC? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I have a PC I'm thinking of selling, and want to sell it with Windows installed. If I use a Windows 7 key to upgrade to 10, does it have to be activated with a Microsoft account, or can I install Windows with no key and supply it to the person that buys my PC and they can add it later?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

VelociBacon posted:

but then it doesn't automatically log in to the windows account and maybe shuts down after sitting in the login state for x hours?

AFAIK the only thing the login screen changes w/r/t power settings is turning off the screen after 1 minute, but I'm not totally sure on that point.

VelociBacon posted:

How do you check to see what it was that gave the last command to turn off/restart a PC? Thanks.

you can try powercfg /systempowerreport (needs elevated command prompt), but it doesn't always have reasons for full power cycles (it's more for sleep)

Aside from that you can look in "reliability history" (just type that in start) to see if the reboots are marked as unexpected. If so, what you might have is hardware problems causing reboots / power off. The fact that you find the PC turned fully off makes me suspect hardware, potentially PSU slowly fading out.

e:

Medullah posted:

If I use a Windows 7 key to upgrade to 10, does it have to be activated with a Microsoft account

nope, you can install 10 using the 7 key, do the setup process offline so you get local account, and then it'll activate as soon as you get internet

Klyith fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 21, 2021

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

I have a PC I'm thinking of selling, and want to sell it with Windows installed. If I use a Windows 7 key to upgrade to 10, does it have to be activated with a Microsoft account, or can I install Windows with no key and supply it to the person that buys my PC and they can add it later?

If you do an upgrade I believe Windows 10 will automatically look at the Windows 7 key and activate your Win 10 install (and possibly inactivate your Win 7 key? I'm not sure about this), as soon as the PC is online.

What you want to do, probably, is upgrade to Windows 10, tie the install to your personal Microsoft account, transfer that activation to a separate PC (which should deactivate the original install), format the drive, install Windows 10 again directly from media, skip the activation, create a generic user account, and hand over the PC in that state. Then the new owner can buy a key and reactivate however they want (they might even get lucky and Win 10 will activate anyway because MS is really bad at deactivating old installs).

That all sounds like a lot of work. I would just take the L on Win 7 key, and flatten the drive, or some combination of the above.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Klyith posted:

AFAIK the only thing the login screen changes w/r/t power settings is turning off the screen after 1 minute, but I'm not totally sure on that point.

you can try powercfg /systempowerreport (needs elevated command prompt), but it doesn't always have reasons for full power cycles (it's more for sleep)

Aside from that you can look in "reliability history" (just type that in start) to see if the reboots are marked as unexpected. If so, what you might have is hardware problems causing reboots / power off. The fact that you find the PC turned fully off makes me suspect hardware, potentially PSU slowly fading out.

This is perfect - thanks so much. Interesting, looks like I have some investigation to do:

I had actually uninstalled Radeon because that server is using an AMD Athelon 5350 which I don't really think needs the separate driver suite (integrated AMD HD 8400). I wonder if having that was causing conflicts somewhere. Or maybe the integrated GPU just threw a random error as the system lost power or something.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

If you do an upgrade I believe Windows 10 will automatically look at the Windows 7 key and activate your Win 10 install (and possibly inactivate your Win 7 key? I'm not sure about this), as soon as the PC is online.

What you want to do, probably, is upgrade to Windows 10, tie the install to your personal Microsoft account, transfer that activation to a separate PC (which should deactivate the original install), format the drive, install Windows 10 again directly from media, skip the activation, create a generic user account, and hand over the PC in that state. Then the new owner can buy a key and reactivate however they want (they might even get lucky and Win 10 will activate anyway because MS is really bad at deactivating old installs).

That all sounds like a lot of work. I would just take the L on Win 7 key, and flatten the drive, or some combination of the above.

I *want* to give them a 7 key, so it's not taking a L. :) Ideally I'd like to sell a fully functioning machine as I think that will up the value a tiny amount.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

(and possibly inactivate your Win 7 key? I'm not sure about this)

As a practical matter, no, not really. They count the number of times each key has been used to activate on unique hardware, and their system is aimed mainly at preventing large scale key re-use.

After a number of activations you'll get the manual activation via MS support (used to be a phone #, but now they try to make you do it through online chat). All you have to do is tell the flunky you upgraded to new hardware and you get a new activation that doesn't invalidate the old one. You could use this to activate 2 machines off the same key and get away with it, but the next activation after that will be much harder. But I also think that they've raised the number of times a key auto-activates -- I've had to call MS for 7 but never yet for 10.

So the other thing is, if Win10 has been installed on a machine, then it should activate again without the need to enter a key. As soon as it hits the internet it'll connect to the activation server with its hardware hash and get the ok. So that would be a way to give someone a PC that has win10 installed, but still have the first power-on be the user creation first-time setup.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

I *want* to give them a 7 key, so it's not taking a L. :) Ideally I'd like to sell a fully functioning machine as I think that will up the value a tiny amount.

Ah, cool, I misread your post as wanting to sell them the PC with windows installed but not necessarily giving them the key. Then, yeah, install Win 10, make sure it's activated and then optionally maybe do the a Windows Reset or straight up flatten then the drive and reinstall Windows 10 (it should re-activate automatically), depending on how concerned you're about your data.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Just install TempleOS.
It’s free and the Godly way to proceed.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
About a week ago, my computer decided it didn't want to go to sleep overnight. But not in the usual way!

When I put it to sleep in the evening, the lights and fans stay on a lot longer than normal but eventually it just turns off completely.
It's completely off, I have to start it by pressing the power button.

When I put it to sleep during the day (typically around 0700 when I go to work) it goes to sleep properly.
When I get home from work it wakes up fine.

I can't see anything obvious in the event log apart from the improper shutdown detected.
Is there any way to troubleshoot this?

I've tried Windows update, including optional drivers.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

~Coxy posted:

About a week ago, my computer decided it didn't want to go to sleep overnight. But not in the usual way!

When I put it to sleep in the evening, the lights and fans stay on a lot longer than normal but eventually it just turns off completely.
It's completely off, I have to start it by pressing the power button.

When I put it to sleep during the day (typically around 0700 when I go to work) it goes to sleep properly.
When I get home from work it wakes up fine.

I can't see anything obvious in the event log apart from the improper shutdown detected.
Is there any way to troubleshoot this?

I've tried Windows update, including optional drivers.

Shot in the dark here: I have an old motherboard with a Dehumidifier gimmick. If enabled, it'll run the fans for a while after OS shutdown before turning off, but it'll do it every time, not on a schedule or using a sensor. I kinda doubt it's a common feature or its evolved to be any smarter, but hey.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Uhm, remember how the thread's mantra in regards to antivirus software always was "Just stick with Windows Defender, it works and does not interfere as much with your system as other third party tools?"

Welp (if true):

quote:

Windows Defender July Update - Will delete legitimate file from famous copyright case (DeCSS)

I have an archived copy of both the Source Code and Complied .exe forDeCSS, which some of you may be old enough to remember as the first succesfuly decryption tool for DVD players back when Windows 2000 reigned supreme.

Well surprise, surprise, the July 2021 update to Windows Defender will attempt to delete any copies in multiple instances;

.txt file of source code - deleted

.zip file with compiled .exe inside - deleted

raw .exe file - deleted

Setting a Windows Defender exception to the folder does not prevent the quarantine from occurring. I re-ran this test three times trying exceptions and even the entire NAS drive as on the excluded list.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/oof29b/windows_defender_july_update_will_delete/

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

doctorfrog posted:

Shot in the dark here: I have an old motherboard with a Dehumidifier gimmick. If enabled, it'll run the fans for a while after OS shutdown before turning off, but it'll do it every time, not on a schedule or using a sensor. I kinda doubt it's a common feature or its evolved to be any smarter, but hey.

That does nothing unless you’re using some kind of sub-ambient-temp cooling method and need to worry about condensation. Since you’re not an extreme overclocker in the vey early 2000s, it’s useless.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Anyone have any recommendations for a way to make the computer go to sleep at a certain time every day? I don't like it going to sleep automatically because I use Plex, but sometimes I forget to put it to sleep at the end of the night and when I go into work in the morning it's hotttttttttttttttttttt

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Medullah posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for a way to make the computer go to sleep at a certain time every day? I don't like it going to sleep automatically because I use Plex, but sometimes I forget to put it to sleep at the end of the night and when I go into work in the morning it's hotttttttttttttttttttt

Nircmd does everything! "nircmd.exe standby"

Use Task Scheduler to make a task that runs every day at whatever time you want the PC to sleep, with nircmd.exe as the action and standby in the arguments.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Klyith posted:

Nircmd does everything! "nircmd.exe standby"

Use Task Scheduler to make a task that runs every day at whatever time you want the PC to sleep, with nircmd.exe as the action and standby in the arguments.

Oh hell yeah I just started using it, don't know why I didn't think to check. Perfect thanks.

Edit - Created and tested, exactly what I needed. Someone suggested charging the thread title to "NIRCMD can do what you're about to ask about" and I agree 💯

Medullah fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 23, 2021

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Medullah posted:

Edit - Created and tested, exactly what I needed. Someone suggested charging the thread title to "NIRCMD can do what you're about to ask about" and I agree 💯

Seconded!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Ghostlight posted:

Microsoft Lists is basically an attempt to build a lite Excel using a Sharepoint backend.

I unfortunately can't help with layouts because as soon as I encountered the first hurdle where I thought "this would so much quicker just using Excel" I immediately bailed on Microsoft Lists and just set up a Sharepoint List with a PowerBI frontend.
Actually, that's my recommendation. Learn PowerBI and just use it to interact with the Sharepoint List. It's much more configurable and there's no features that Microsoft List has over any other way of achieving the same thing.

I looked into using Excel but it apparently doesn't support simultaneous multi-user edit, so that's a no-go.

Is PowerBI difficult to learn?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I looked into using Excel but it apparently doesn't support simultaneous multi-user edit, so that's a no-go.

Is PowerBI difficult to learn?

Excel? Assuming you're using Office 365 you can have multiple users editing one document...

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Medullah posted:

Excel? Assuming you're using Office 365 you can have multiple users editing one document...

Maybe whatever I read was out of date or something.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Maybe whatever I read was out of date or something.

Yeah we've got about 10 weekly/monthly reports that everyone has to update, we store them on a Teams/SharePoint site and everyone makes their changes. You even see little highlights with initials of who's making changes

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Medullah posted:

Not if the file is sitting in a windows file share. If it’s in one drive or share point, yes.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Not if the file is sitting in a windows file share. If it’s in one drive or share point, yes.

Ah yeah I took that as a given.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Speaking of audio fuckiness on windows, I just tried to update my audio drivers for my Asus B550-F Wifi motherboard and it just broke audio from that device completely. It recognizes the audio device, but it doesn't output any sound. The audio mixer also shows no sound as happening even when audio is playing. When I click the test button in the advanced sound settings, it gives me an error saying "Failed to play test tone." Never seen that one before. I tried to roll back to my previous drivers and it's still doing it for some reason. Other audio devices work just fine (such as audio from my monitor). Did I just brick my onboard audio by trying to update my drivers??

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Speaking of audio fuckiness on windows, I just tried to update my audio drivers for my Asus B550-F Wifi motherboard and it just broke audio from that device completely. It recognizes the audio device, but it doesn't output any sound. The audio mixer also shows no sound as happening even when audio is playing. When I click the test button in the advanced sound settings, it gives me an error saying "Failed to play test tone." Never seen that one before. I tried to roll back to my previous drivers and it's still doing it for some reason. Other audio devices work just fine (such as audio from my monitor). Did I just brick my onboard audio by trying to update my drivers??

No, it's not bricked, but drivers are hosed in some way. Rollback isn't a 100% success rate operation. It works much better on windows update delivered drivers, less well on manually installed drivers.

Uninstall all realtek drivers with windows uninstall (both apps & features in new settings, and programs & features in old control panel). Reboot. Open device manager -> sound video & game controllers, if it still says realtek there then right-click, uninstall device, check the box for delete the driver software. Reboot. Now install the current drivers (direct from asus) and that'll hopefully do it.

edit: also honestly audio drivers are something I'd tend to leave alone if everything is working fine. Or if you have windows update driver delivery turned on, just wait until MS decides a new realtek driver is worth putting out. Audio drivers aren't doing much these days, you're not missing out on hot new features or performance improvements from not having the latest driver. In games all the interesting stuff (3d sound effects etc) is happening on the CPU, the sound chip is whatever.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 1, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, it's not bricked. But the official drivers refuse to work for me. I managed to install the generic windows audio drivers, and those work. Just took a few restarts for windows to properly detect the device and install its own drivers. I have no idea why Asus' own drivers don't work. They come with all kinds of special spatial audio software and poo poo like DTS, so maybe that's loving with something somehow. I tried uninstalling just that software but it didn't help.

The main thing I wanted to see is if I could find a way to reconfigure the rear audio jacks to have two mirrored outputs. I had that with my previous PC on an intel motherboard (also Realtek), but I haven't gotten that to work with my current onboard audio.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

GreenNight posted:

A different (hidden and discontinued) feature works in a regular file share. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/about-the-shared-workbook-feature-49b833c0-873b-48d8-8bf2-c1c59a628534

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, it's not bricked. But the official drivers refuse to work for me. I managed to install the generic windows audio drivers, and those work. Just took a few restarts for windows to properly detect the device and install its own drivers. I have no idea why Asus' own drivers don't work. They come with all kinds of special spatial audio software and poo poo like DTS, so maybe that's loving with something somehow. I tried uninstalling just that software but it didn't help.

The main thing I wanted to see is if I could find a way to reconfigure the rear audio jacks to have two mirrored outputs. I had that with my previous PC on an intel motherboard (also Realtek), but I haven't gotten that to work with my current onboard audio.

So I'm not at all sure what this mirrored output thing is. (I don't use the realtek audio on my desktop mobo, and in fact have it disabled entirely in the bios. Strictly so I can avoid realtek drivers.)

Are you just duplicating the front 2ch to the rear output? That's something I'd probably look at doing in software, either with your audio player or with something like Virtual Audio Cable.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

I remember somebody showing me this just before the Office 365 version of Excel got co-editing. I was blown away, not least because I didn't understand why Microsoft hadn't been marketing this feature everywhere they could. Everybody I worked with--myself included--thought Google Sheets was so far ahead of Excel in this, but that shared workbook feature worked surprisingly well.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Klyith posted:

So I'm not at all sure what this mirrored output thing is. (I don't use the realtek audio on my desktop mobo, and in fact have it disabled entirely in the bios. Strictly so I can avoid realtek drivers.)

Are you just duplicating the front 2ch to the rear output? That's something I'd probably look at doing in software, either with your audio player or with something like Virtual Audio Cable.

I'm trying to make it so the rear IO has two headphone out/front speaker out jacks. Basically, with my old onboard audio (also realtek), I could plug in two sets of headphones, use their control panel to reassign the jacks they're plugged in to to the same role, and then they'd both have the exact same output. So basically I want to be able to have system audio playing over two pairs of headphones at the same time. This also would be doable with the front panel audio, but... I broke both of those jacks by getting up and walking away with my headphones on (multiple times for each one :downs:).

Doing this with only my rear audio hasn't been possible with my new mobo even though my old one could. I've tried looking at virtual audio cable, but that doesn't seem to do the trick (or if it does, I couldn't figure it out). And there's nothing in any program/windows settings I've seen that allows this.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can buy Y cable splitters, that's how my wife has her desktop speakers and headphones are plugged in right now. If you can't get the MB or driver to do what you want it's a usable workaround.

Eg, for 1/8 plugs: https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Speak...splitter&sr=8-4

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

I was blown away, not least because I didn't understand why Microsoft hadn't been marketing this feature everywhere they could.
Yeah, I wonder why they didn't market feature that doesn't require a subscription?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

MikusR posted:

Yeah, I wonder why they didn't market feature that doesn't require a subscription?

I thought shared workbooks came out before O365? I could be wrong though.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Can you just add a fresh boot partition and recover an existing OS partition (BitLocker encrypted) that lost its original one?

My scenario is that I have two SSDs, the old one was the OS disk, when I added the new one I did a fresh install on it (or a clone, I don't remember). At boot I would get a choice of which Windows 10 I wanted to start.

Now I've migrated everything I needed off the old drive, so I wiped it and installed Linux on it, but now the new drive isn't bootable anymore. Worse, while all drives were BitLocker encrypted, I can decrypt them from Linux using the Windows password, except for the new OS drive which rejects the password for some reason.

If I re-wipe the old drive and install a fresh new Win10 on it, I hope it would pick up the existing installation like it did in the past. But what I would actually like to do is make the existing installation bootable. Could I just make some room on the new disk, copy the boot partition from a fresh temporary installation to it, and then get rid of the latter?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Whats the go to torrent client today? I always used qbittorrent for some years now (for how often I even download torrents) but it just got flagged by defender as having something malicious when I downloaded the latest version.

e: Deluge gave the same warning and apparently the cited threat is a false positive, also given by nicehash which is a mining program apparently which I find a tad concerning

codo27 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 5, 2021

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've gotten those flags with uTorrent and BitTorrent. At that point, I just figured Defender was hating torrent programs.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

codo27 posted:

Whats the go to torrent client today? I always used qbittorrent for some years now (for how often I even download torrents) but it just got flagged by defender as having something malicious when I downloaded the latest version.

e: Deluge gave the same warning and apparently the cited threat is a false positive, also given by nicehash which is a mining program apparently which I find a tad concerning

Probably because Defender is now copy protection and flagged it for working as intended.

Keeping you from getting fresh Linux ISOs to replace malicious Windows.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

There was a kerfuffle a while ago because utorrent had a miner bundled in the install package. I don’t think it does anymore but Defender is flagging it for a good reason. I wouldn’t trust it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Fruits of the sea posted:

There was a kerfuffle a while ago because utorrent had a miner bundled in the install package. I don’t think it does anymore but Defender is flagging it for a good reason. I wouldn’t trust it.

Ah, then I echo codo27's question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
a. Current stable version of qbittorrent, downloaded from their official fosshob, is clean on defender for me. If you have "potentially unwanted app blocking" turned on, that's probably what flagged it. That feature is stupid restrictive as to what it calls potentially unwanted. It's more like a whitelist for the MS seal of approval than a blocklist.

b. If defender flags something that you'd normally trust and you want a second opinion, you can upload to virustotal to see what other engines think about it.

c. If you're worried about apps bundling crapware in their installers, try opening the installer exe with 7zip! You can grab the program out and install it yourself! (Qbittorrent doesn't have crapware though.)

d. If you want another torrent app to try, I just recently saw this one called LIII that's very lightweight and minimal. Like if you're one-off downloading an actual linux iso or libreoffice, rather than have torrents running all the time, it might be a good choice.