Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

McTimmy posted:

They're ruining my childhood!?Skeletor winning anything ever? pffft.

Technically he won in New Adventures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I don’t mind characters like Teela getting more focus but this feels like it’s being dark and gritty for the sake of being dark and gritty.

Sure, the original had its serious moments but it was also goofy as hell at times (even He-Man 2002 and Netflix She-Ra got that much right) and I’m hoping Revelation still at least retains a bit of levity here and there (then again, one of the first trailers opened with “Holding Out For A Hero” so there’s a bit of hope in that regard)

I have mixed feelings about this show so far but I’m still going to give it a try anyway (and if it sucks we still have the upcoming CGI series to fall back on)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh. Boy. The cow havers will never shut up about this.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

Oh. Boy. The cow havers will never shut up about this.

It might be even worse than the bitching about SPoP for that matter.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Larryb posted:

It might be even worse than the bitching about SPoP for that matter.

The stupid thing is the advertising was selling an absolutely diffrent show so that's a foothold that had no reason to exist that the cow-havers will absolutely milk dry.

At least with PoP they were pretty clear it was a new take from the off.

This just feels disingenuous.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 22, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Do people even care that much about He-Man any more? It’s a slightly older property than transformers or the small G I Joe toys. The She-Ra outrage stuff seemed highly performative in that most of the talk came from people who have to comment on pop culture every day for their livelihood.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Do people even care that much about He-Man any more? It’s a slightly older property than transformers or the small G I Joe toys. The She-Ra outrage stuff seemed highly performative in that most of the talk came from people who have to comment on pop culture every day for their livelihood.

I have fondness for it, though I was not in any hurry to see it back.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's less its (a different take on) He-man, as much as I enjoyed the 2k3 version as 'thing I watched before school / uni', and more the whole "The adverts were full of poo poo" thing for me.

Like I said, all that does is annoy people and give the cow havers enough ammo to never have to shut up about it.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 22, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I kind of hated the original series when I was a kid but now I see it and it’s successors as a fun, goofy show with occasional serious moments.

Despite some issues here and there (particularly during the final season) I really enjoyed SPoP as well and think the fact that it was a fresh new take almost completely divorced from the He-Man side of things (which I believe they couldn’t use at the time due to Mattel trying to score a movie deal with Sony that ultimately fell through) actually worked in the show’s favor more often than not.

I’m likely going to give Revelation a try but I really hope it doesn’t take itself too seriously as the current spoilers seem to imply. What little we know about the unrelated CGI reboot sounds promising though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jul 22, 2021

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

See, the fantasy adventure cartoon I grew up with was Conan the Adventurer, which was already a complete bastardization of the source material*!

* - To be fair to the people who worked on the show, there were actually a bunch of little nods and references to stuff from the classic Conan stories, so I don't think it was a case of the people working on it not caring so much as it being a case of if being impossible to make a faithful adaptation of Conan the loving Barbarian for the 6-12 market...

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
I like The Owl House a lot, but one show I'm really eager to see return is Amphibia - mostly because I want to Anne's Earth family meet Anne's Amphibia family. Just Anne's mom reacting to all the "...tried to eat us" pictures and especially some pic or video with Hop-Pop saying something like "...here's my grandson, Spring. This is my grand-daughter, Polly and this is my adopted grand-daughter, Anne." Just seeing Anne's mom realize that even though Anne was away from the people who loved her, she found other (frog) people who loved her.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Everyone posted:

I like The Owl House a lot, but one show I'm really eager to see return is Amphibia - mostly because I want to Anne's Earth family meet Anne's Amphibia family. Just Anne's mom reacting to all the "...tried to eat us" pictures and especially some pic or video with Hop-Pop saying something like "...here's my grandson, Spring. This is my grand-daughter, Polly and this is my adopted grand-daughter, Anne." Just seeing Anne's mom realize that even though Anne was away from the people who loved her, she found other (frog) people who loved her.

Yes, we really need an actual thread for that when it returns.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Everyone posted:

I'm really looking forward to that crossover panel they do tomorrow.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Welp, the movie is out and the Trollhunters franchise is over.

It couldn't really recover from Wizards being cut down from a series to ~10 episodes of desperate asset reuse that needed to set up the plot of the movie that was already deep in production in a fraction of the time.

The final villains have next to nothing to do with any of the characters the film actually focuses on. Bizarre comic relief subplots outweigh any actual exploration of the ensemble they spent 80 episodes exploring. None of the genuinely impressive political energy from early 3Below resurfaces, in favor of an extremely vague environmental gesture. Voice performances feel rushed and outsized, even from actors who turned in better work earlier in the show.

It is, however, very pretty at times, the action is exciting and well-choreographed, with real bite to making the characters' physical and emotional pain come through in the animation.

Shame about the teen mpreg subplot that amounts to nothing and is very gross and weird.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

He-Man Revelation drops on Netflix today (the first part anyway, the second half won’t be out until next year for some reason), I’m probably going to give it a try but personally I’m more looking forward to the CGI reboot (which sounds promising based on what little we know so far)

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

Welp, the movie is out and the Trollhunters franchise is over.

It couldn't really recover from Wizards being cut down from a series to ~10 episodes of desperate asset reuse that needed to set up the plot of the movie that was already deep in production in a fraction of the time.

The final villains have next to nothing to do with any of the characters the film actually focuses on. Bizarre comic relief subplots outweigh any actual exploration of the ensemble they spent 80 episodes exploring. None of the genuinely impressive political energy from early 3Below resurfaces, in favor of an extremely vague environmental gesture. Voice performances feel rushed and outsized, even from actors who turned in better work earlier in the show.

It is, however, very pretty at times, the action is exciting and well-choreographed, with real bite to making the characters' physical and emotional pain come through in the animation.

Shame about the teen mpreg subplot that amounts to nothing and is very gross and weird.

The ending of the movie made me feel, man, what if Wizards had stayed the ending for the series. Cause I still have no idea how I feel about them reversing everything that happened in the entire saga, effectively resetting everyone’s progress in the end, for a possible happy ending in the future that we’ll definitely never be seeing. It felt like them wanting their cake and eating it too in a way.

And yeah, getting Eli back only for both him and Palchuck to be sidelined for pretty much all of it felt like a waste of character growth for them

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, is the recent Monsters Inc. cartoon any good?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

On another note, is the recent Monsters Inc. cartoon any good?

Didn’t grab me after one episode. Everyone sounded so old too.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I think recognizing Tobey's heroism was a cool idea, only slightly hampered by the film doubling down on Tobey's stupid catchphrases. I would have simply had him succeed Jim linearly after Jim realized that his ego was too big and his body couldn't keep up.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I was really loving the cast in this new Masters of the universe cartoon so I decided to look them up on IMDB and man oh man is this show getting review bombed by angry chuds.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Larryb posted:

He-Man Revelation drops on Netflix today (the first part anyway, the second half won’t be out until next year for some reason), I’m probably going to give it a try but personally I’m more looking forward to the CGI reboot (which sounds promising based on what little we know so far)

Mark Hamill’s just doing the Joker voice again. I mean, it’s a good voice but it’s been 30 years.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

JT Smiley posted:

I was really loving the cast in this new Masters of the universe cartoon so I decided to look them up on IMDB and man oh man is this show getting review bombed by angry chuds.

Shocker :geno:

I mean even without the plot elements that got covered in spoiler text a while back, I'm pretty sure literally nothing would please the kind of folks review-bombing this. They don't want a new He-Man or even a sequel, they want the original to have never ended. They have a fanfic vision of what He-Man is/was and how it should be in their heads, built up by years of nostalgia, and since they're not the ones making the show, it's never gonna match that vision. Also something something makin my He-Man too woke? :argh:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And they’re probably going to throw a shitfit yet again when the CG series comes out (there are people who hate SPoP specifically because they changed the designs which, based on a leaked picture of what I assume is Sorceress and the two toys that were revealed early on, is going to be the case with this show as well), these people will never be satisfied

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 24, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Anyone up for an SA review-bomb counterstrike ala

"Despite the cries of multiple immature man-babies, this is an excellent show with great acting that should be a must see for ant real fans of Masters of the Universe."

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Everyone posted:

Anyone up for an SA review-bomb counterstrike ala

"Despite the cries of multiple immature man-babies, this is an excellent show with great acting that should be a must see for ant real fans of Masters of the Universe."

Sounds like a waste of time to be honest.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

cant cook creole bream posted:

Sounds like a waste of time to be honest.

Well, sure it is, but so what? Is it any less of a waste of time to just "poo-poo" the asshats panning it on here?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
You have to appreciate that none of the reviews seem to have actually watched more than an episode or two before they just had a complete melt down.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Owl House/Amphibia crossover is great. Although it does kind of raise some questions, timeline-wise.

Edit: updated it with the proper time code.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 24, 2021

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

The Owl House/Amphibia crossover is great. Although it does kind of raise some questions, timeline-wise.

Edit: updated it with the proper time code.

"S&P approved equivalent to liquor"

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i don't know what it is but molly mcgee seems entirely uninteresting to me

e: also amphibia S3 on october 2nd yeehaw

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

i don't know what it is but molly mcgee seems entirely uninteresting to me

e: also amphibia S3 on october 2nd yeehaw

It's not a new formula, but it seems like something that could be carried by performances. More Dana Snyder is always welcome.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnPjzmMIzrI

Preview for the new season of Amphibia

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yes, we really need an actual thread for that when it returns.

Owl House and Amphibia could probably both sustain their own threads at this point

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Owl House and Amphibia could probably both sustain their own threads at this point

TOH now has one, but an Amphibia thread would be welcome.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

JT Smiley posted:

i dont get why review bombs are a thing, like any site that cares should just void that poo poo.

sites like sell products (amazon, steam, ect) should just have a code with order slips/ emails so they only get valid purschases.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

PhazonLink posted:

i dont get why review bombs are a thing, like any site that cares should just void that poo poo.

sites like sell products (amazon, steam, ect) should just have a code with order slips/ emails so they only get valid purschases.

Totally agree. The majority of the reviews I saw didn't even seem to watch the show they just needed to rant about SJW's and the Last Jedi ruining their childhoods.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I thought it was perfectly fine. It’s a little weird in being kid-friendly while simultaneously doing nods to obscure stuff a person would have to be 40+ and have obsessive nostalgia to catch (the real audience of this show), but it seems no different than the 2000s revival in tone or look. Also I’m guessing they only put half the season up and He-Man won’t actually be absent for the entire series.

The best voice cameo is Kevin Conroy as Merman.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
What kind of person do you even have to be, on like a cellular level, to get not just mad at, but enraged over He-Man anyway? The last time I got mad over He-Man, I was 7 and the kid I was playing with said I couldn't be He-Man because he was He-Man, so I told him to piss off and went to go play with some other kids.

Also Orko's totally not actually dead, I'm planting my flag in that one.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The original series is total garbage and extremely gay—no idea how intentional that part is, but it has to be deliberate to some degree as like a coded thing. Also extremely forthright in its social agenda with those post-episode segments about not playing in old refrigerators and telling a teacher if you’re being abused. They should get mad about it instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The original series is total garbage and extremely gay—no idea how intentional that part is, but it has to be deliberate to some degree as like a coded thing. Also extremely forthright in its social agenda with those post-episode segments about not playing in old refrigerators and telling a teacher if you’re being abused. They should get mad about it instead.

Well, the original series was for, like 7 year olds, not grown-rear end adults with the emotional maturity of 7 year olds.

Also, speaking as 52 year straight, CiS-gender white male, you want to maybe rethink your phrasing.

Are you saying that the original series was total garbage in part because it was extremely gay?

Or are you doing that equally bullshit thing of using "gay" as a version of "sucks" or "is bad."

Because neither of those takes seems like it belong here in the 21st century.