Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I’m 3:1 Rittenhouse to Antica, 1 dash ango per oz of whiskey, amarena cherry, personally. But also I had my last Manhattan in March or April and won’t have another until probably October. It’s a fall/winter drink.

I don’t think I’ve had a variation that can beat the standard (but I do like Red Hooks and Carroll Gardenses and Slopes, if you consider a Slope a Manhattan variant), but once or twice a year I like a gilded age style: throw a barspoon or two of maraschino in plus half as much absinthe, split your bitters between ango and orange. Maybe back off on your vermouth a tiny bit. Good when it’s cold and you’re feeling festive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Greenpoint is the best Manhattan IMO, but it needs Punt e Mes. A lot of places sub whatever sweet vermouth they have and it doesn’t hold up to the yellow chartreuse

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The Bandit posted:

Greenpoint is the best Manhattan IMO, but it needs Punt e Mes. A lot of places sub whatever sweet vermouth they have and it doesn’t hold up to the yellow chartreuse

You definitely need something big to stand up to any of the chartreuses.

Another one I've been digging at my local place is a Brass Knuckle. I haven't watched them make it closely, so I don't know the proportions, but you can probably gather:

Wee Beastie
Fernet Branca
Punt e Mes
Green Chartreuse
Orange Bitters

It's a very complex sipper with lots of different notes going around. It's got a bit of a Manhattan vibe, a touch of Sazerac vibe for me. Dark and smoky. But the insane intensity of the Beastie is tempered a lot. I feel like a less peaty scotch might get lost pretty easily. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I got a small Mini fridge that I put next to the bar specifically for this reason. All of my bar citrus, syrups, and anything else that needs refrigeration goes in there and stays out of the main fridge.

This is a really good idea since all my tiki syrup bottles are seriously loving up my fridge space.

edit: oops forgot I was catching up on the thread and that was a month old post heh

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
In honor of the thread title, I made a Kentucky buck last night with strawberry preserves in the place of simple and muddled fresh strawberry. It works fine! Nice little shortcut to make the drink more readily accessible.

We should have a batch of fresh strawberries ripening soon though, so I am open to hearing strawberry drink ideas!

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Quick question: if a cocktail is just spirits and simple syrup should you shake or stir?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Stir

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

A commonly respected but occasionally betrayed rule: Shake if fruit is involved, otherwise stir.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Yep, that's the basic idea. Another good way to remember is: do you want the drink to feel light and bright (shaken) or viscous and strong (stirred)?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Off the top of my head the only times I stir with any fruit would be for a gimlet made with lime cordial. Otherwise I can't think of another drink with fruit/egg/milk that doesn't get shaken, though I'm sure there are some I'm not thinking of.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Carillon posted:

Off the top of my head the only times I stir with any fruit would be for a gimlet made with lime cordial. Otherwise I can't think of another drink with fruit/egg/milk that doesn't get shaken, though I'm sure there are some I'm not thinking of.

Swizzles. Caipirinha. Dark and stormy.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Caipirinha.
:confused:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I don’t think build-in-glass cocktails count.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Pfft. Like I speak Romanian.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Capirihininiaia

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Carillon posted:

Off the top of my head the only times I stir with any fruit would be for a gimlet made with lime cordial.

You should be shaking those, too.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Definitely shake a gimlet. Yum.

Now I'm feeling like a Collins. It's muggy today, so I feel like that would nicely cut through things.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Anonymous Robot posted:

We should have a batch of fresh strawberries ripening soon though, so I am open to hearing strawberry drink ideas!

Infuse some campari using your scratch & dent berries and make any campari drink better. I made a negroni this way two years ago which was phenomenal, then last night saw it at a restaurant and had to get it. Still so good.

I took a photo because they thought I'd lick the dehydrated strawberry powder garnish off the side of the glass like a slut and they were correct

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

Infuse some campari using your scratch & dent berries and make any campari drink better. I made a negroni this way two years ago which was phenomenal, then last night saw it at a restaurant and had to get it. Still so good.

I took a photo because they thought I'd lick the dehydrated strawberry powder garnish off the side of the glass like a slut and they were correct

Yes! Thanks for reminding me, this is what I’d wanted to do but I forgot.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

#1 of top ten instagram garnishes that are fuckin obnoxious irl

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
For some reason Manhattans never work with me. The chilled tannin in the red vermouth and the alcoholic heat from the whiskey they boost each other in a harsh way. I guess I'm weird like that. I'll drink plenty of red wine with some tannins on it's own though. Not chilled.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Comb Your Beard posted:

For some reason Manhattans never work with me. The chilled tannin in the red vermouth and the alcoholic heat from the whiskey they boost each other in a harsh way. I guess I'm weird like that. I'll drink plenty of red wine with some tannins on it's own though. Not chilled.

What vermouth are you using?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

prayer group posted:

You should be shaking those, too.

Disagree! With a good lime cordial you want that silky smoothness you get from stirring. Shaking you're adding agitation and taking away from the drink.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

obi_ant posted:

What vermouth are you using?

Yeah wth, I've never had tannins in a Manhattan

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Speaking of vermouths, I really need some ideas on how to use. Finland alcohol monopoly is kind of dogshit and I had to actually order my Martini Rosso, and I’m seriously doubting that I’ll use my 1 l Martini Rosso before it goes bad just on negronis and manhattans.

In hindsight: next time I’ll order a smaller bottle of something like Punt e mes. We used to have Antifa Formula in smaller bottles too, but not anymore (in the alcohol monopoly catalogue at least).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, they took that off the market. Turns you into a communist super soldier.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol nice autocorrect

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lunsku posted:

In hindsight: next time I’ll order a smaller bottle of something like Punt e mes. We used to have Antifa Formula in smaller bottles too, but not anymore (in the alcohol monopoly catalogue at least).

Yeah I'll have a uhhhhhh marxtini

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I'll have a Far Left Hand

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah wth, I've never had tannins in a Manhattan

Imo Carpano Antica has some tannic flavor to it. I prefer Cocchi di Torino for that reason.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Comb Your Beard posted:

How much bitters are you using, and are you using Angostura?

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I always use a lot of bitters like 4 dashes minimum. Angostura or something more complex like a few different ones including Ango. Jerry Thomas Decanter are good. I make my own too.

Dolin rogue vermouth. It's got some grip to it. Maybe I should try a different one.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Yeah I'd say dial down your bitters, I like a lot of Ango but I definitely overdo it myself sometimes so I think I feel what you're talking about. Also I'll split it up between ango and usually an orange bitters, I find that I really like the light citrus it brings.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Edit: double posted. First time ever I think.

Scythe fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 24, 2021

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Yeah, I agree, dial down bitters. I like a bitter, large Manhattan and 3 dashes is already enough for me.

Also Dolin is a lighter vermouth and I don't get tannins off it that I can remember, but I don't prefer it in Manhattans because of its lightness and acidity. Carpano Antica is way on the other end of the spectrum, you could try that and see if you like it or if it's too sweet/syrupy for you, although it is a bit expensive. So is Cocchi vermouth di Torino, which is more middle of the road but very high quality and I feel like is the other frequent call for Manhattans in modern cocktail bars. If you don't feel like shelling out for either, a fresh bottle of Martini & Rossi isn't a bad option. Emphasis fresh.

Last, if the drink is feeling "hot" the drink isn't diluted enough, which means it's also probably not cold enough. Use more ice (at least an inch or two over top of the ingredients in the mixing glass) and stir longer.

Lunsku posted:

Speaking of vermouths, I really need some ideas on how to use. Finland alcohol monopoly is kind of dogshit and I had to actually order my Martini Rosso, and I’m seriously doubting that I’ll use my 1 l Martini Rosso before it goes bad just on negronis and manhattans.

lol but also I just realized no one answered you. Fastest way to use vermouth is drink it like the Spanish (and some Italians) do: on the rocks, with some citrus and/or olives as garnish. If it's too sweet for you add a little club soda. Beyond that, there are a billion negroni variants that will all work with Martini rosso even if they don't call for it (try just swapping in mezcal, for example), you can do Martinezes, Boulevardiers, Bijous...

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Comb Your Beard posted:

Dolin rogue vermouth. It's got some grip to it. Maybe I should try a different one.

This one always sneaks up on me

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I bought creme de banane on a whim after having an excellent banana-based cocktail at a bar. What can I do with this poo poo now that I have it?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Trip report: cachaça with ginger beer is a good combo. I can rock with this. Just did a basic 2oz + one of those little Q cans (≈6oz), some ice, lime wedge.

Grand Fromage posted:

I bought creme de banane on a whim after having an excellent banana-based cocktail at a bar. What can I do with this poo poo now that I have it?

Lol I always see that but I've never dared buy it, good luck and God bless

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have heard people call it a vastly underrated cocktail ingredient but now I'm just staring at the bottle and not sure where to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Grand Fromage posted:

uhh I can't think of anything straightfoward, but there is

https://cocktailvirgin.blogspot.com/2020/03/psycho-killer.html

and

https://mrbostondrinks.com/recipes/the-jamaican-ten-speed

I can vouch for both being good (despite the latter sounding like a horrifying grandpa drink)