Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Astro7x posted:

Why are they doing 4 "special" episodes of Dynamite in a row? It actually feels more like 7 in a row...

6/26 - Saturday Night Dynamite
6/30 - Fan Appreciation Night
7/7 - Road Rager
7/14 - Fyter Fest Week 1
7/21 - Fyter Fest Week 2
7/28 - Fight for the Fallen
7/4 - Homecoming

A minor criticism. I guess I just don't understand why Fyter Fest is two weeks, followed immediately by Fight for the Fallen for two years in a row.

because it's their Return To The Road Tour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I just got back from the show here in Dallas/Garland. I have attended many live wrestling events in the past 20+ years, but that topped them all. I can hardly talk from cheering so much. An amazing show top to bottom. Then my group had to leave after Dynamite due to young kids, so I was solo and got moved to the third row. Half way through Dark Elevation, Tony Kahn came out to announce a surprise Although Pac was announced for the main event as the big surprise, they would be doing a Lucha Bros tag match as well for Rey Fenix to return for . So I got to see some of my favorites from the third row and completely annihilated what was left of my voice.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Astro7x posted:

Why are they doing 4 "special" episodes of Dynamite in a row? It actually feels more like 7 in a row...

7/7 - Road Rager
7/14 - Fyter Fest Week 1
7/21 - Fyter Fest Week 2
7/4 - Homecoming

A minor criticism. I guess I just don't understand why Fyter Fest is two weeks, followed immediately by Fight for the Fallen for two years in a row.

Because they haven’t been able to tour for a year and a half.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

A talking coyote posted:

I don’t know anything about Gage either, is he actually good in the ring, or does everyone here just hate David Arquette for some reason?
He has presence and physical charisma more than anything else, he can get you yelling at the top of your lungs for his matches whether you like him or not

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Moxley put it best when he talked about Nick Gage on Dark Side of The Ring:

quote:

He’s not going to stop, and I’m not saying he should. He has the number one talent you need. It’s not biceps, it’s not abs, it’s the ability to connect. Vince McMahon would loving kill to have one person with that connection to the audience that Nick Gage has. I kind of think his story is just getting started.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I can't wait for the debut of Bazooka Kaboom

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Astro7x posted:

7/7 - Road Rager
7/14 - Fyter Fest Week 1
7/21 - Fyter Fest Week 2
7/4 - Homecoming

special episodes are fun when it’s been in florida hell for way too long

mdk

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Havoc904 posted:

I just got back from the show here in Dallas/Garland. I have attended many live wrestling events in the past 20+ years, but that topped them all. I can hardly talk from cheering so much. An amazing show top to bottom. Then my group had to leave after Dynamite due to young kids, so I was solo and got moved to the third row. Half way through Dark Elevation, Tony Kahn came out to announce a surprise Although Pac was announced for the main event as the big surprise, they would be doing a Lucha Bros tag match as well for Rey Fenix to return for . So I got to see some of my favorites from the third row and completely annihilated what was left of my voice.

That’s awesome and good to hear that Fenix is back in action for real

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Astro7x posted:

7/7 - Road Rager
7/14 - Fyter Fest Week 1
7/21 - Fyter Fest Week 2
7/4 - Homecoming

Even though every episode of Dynamite has been good to amazing, naming/theming them makes them stand out a whole lot more in people's memories than "That RAW from mid July"

The show I went to was the Halloween episode. It's memorable because of the weird Rick & Morty Crossover, Kenny Omega coming out as Sans from Undertale and from that you can look back and say "Oh, that's also the episode with Jericho's pumpkin jacket and the start of "Cowboy poo poo"

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
if you havent already, go watch the Dark Side episode of Nick Gage. I watched it right after Dynamite and it was really good. should answer just about all of your questions.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

He's cut from the same cloth as Mox if you need something to compare to. Different style, same energy and maybe even more blood.

Much more blood.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Eh I don’t really care for the hyper deathmatch stuff. The ones they have on AEW are usually around my ceiling for that type of match.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dynathoughts

1) Chris Jericho vs Shawn Spears. I appreciate that Justin says "manitooba". Kind of hoping that crowds get the Judasing out of their system and move on. MJF being a shitlord on commentary. An expectedly solid match that told its story effectively. Spears is really warming to his footsoldier role in the Pinnacle. Sammy's interference to counter Tully was great, especially when he didn't hit, Tully, just ducked him. By the end Jericho looked blown up, but the journey to get there was good.

MJF declares next week we get Jericho versus

Oh my god

NICK FUCKIN GAGE

Oh I love this so much.

2) Frankie Kazarian vs Doc Gallows. Glad they used the Dark footage to tell the story here. This is your weekly reminder that Frankie Kazarian is one of the most talented workers in the business. This is a tremendous bullying match, with Kaz fighting to get an even playing field unsuccessfully. Gallows brutalizes his way to victory.

Kenny and Don come out. Timing is a bit off in this beat down spot. Hangmin out. Love the "hold this" spot with the booze, and then Dark Order out to even the odds.

Excalibur throws to Dasha and Brian Cage to throw to FTW. Hobbs looks good in his overalls.

3) Wheeler Yuta vs Darby Allin. Yuta gets a decent pop, but then his opponent Darby Allin comes out accompanied by Sting and it's like someone plugged in another speaker stack. Nice chain wrestling to start. Hikuleo in the crowd. OK, cool. Some beautiful technical work here. Darby does the Ishii spot and breaks a hold by biting the rope. Christ almighty that was a gorgeous superplex from Darby. We get a sting/Cassidy weak kickoff to pop the crowd. This is the third match of the night to be super solid and super good fun without being mindblowing but it continues the run of impressive showings for Yuta.

4) Nyla Rose vs Britt Baker. Decent boos for Nyla. Britt working situational face. Nice technical start. JR shut the gently caress up about women's weight. This is a long, storied, hard hitting match where Britt's technique and tenacity come up against Nyla's pure power and how deadly her big moves are. What works really well about the kickouts in this match is that they sell the toughness of the person kicking out instead of any weakness in the person pinning. Britt is pulling out ALL the stops here and Nyla just isn't dying. I loved the fake out belt shot exchange. Britt kicks out of the beast bomb. Nyla lasts longer in the lockjaw than I've seen anyone last. This was great.

P&P vs FTR press conference. OK, cool. Santana shows some photos. This is an odd segment.

Andrade interview. Tranquilo. Oh hey, Chavo! Definitely an upgrade from Vickie. And he can do heel or face equally well. Oh poo poo, ALL OF DEATH TRIANGLE! Fenix is back! We HEARD ower NEEM in your MOUT. Love the confidence to let Andrade promo in Spanish. poo poo, this is so clever. "PENTA SAYS" is over as hell.

Christian promo with Jungle Boy lounging in the background.

QT and the Factory interviewed by Marvez. Comoroto stares at Marvez like he's a chew toy.

5) The Blade vs Orange Cassidy. Love the build to Cassidy jumping Blade. This is a showcase of what a brutal bastard the Blade is. The gut wrench bomb on the top turnbuckle was evil. Blade bullied, Orange goofed, they fought, Orange won.

Ahaha, Painmaker Jericho is back

Oh hell yes, Hikuleo faces the winner of the IWGP US title match.

6) Jon Moxley vs Lance Archer. God drat that pop for Archer, who comes out with twin Singapore canes. This is predictably brutal from the start. Ahaha, Moxley just grabbed a guy from the crowd and threw him at Mox. This is the Archer we've been missing. God, this is nasty in a good way. If they're trying to set a standard for Jericho / Gage, job done. They're absolutely giving the crowd their money's worth here. Oh for the love of god that chair spot. These are two guys determined to kill each other to glory, this is awesome. I want to stress how much this is an episode of a weekly television show and not a pay per view. After a completely ludicrous barbed wire table spot, Archer has the biggest win of his AEW career

What a show, folks. What a SHOW.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Keep in mind, Gage is perfectly capable of working a more subdued style. I'd expect tables, maybe chairs, MAYBE a bit of the pizza cutter, but not much more than that.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Pylons posted:

Keep in mind, Gage is perfectly capable of working a more subdued style. I'd expect tables, maybe chairs, MAYBE a bit of the pizza cutter, but not much more than that.

Yeah this is also what I mean about him being like Mox. He has the chops to not need to go overboard on something like national TV.

He still might, he gets wild, but he doesn't have to.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Scrubbed through the thread and am surprised no one posted the follow up Bodyslam is running to their “Danielson is signed” tweet:

https://twitter.com/casshooole/status/1418010575582412802?s=21

Assuming plans stick and the whole thing isn’t bullshit: Arthur Ashe Stadium

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Just watching now and WHY DIDNT THEY GIVE GAGE A MIC!

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
What's the O/U on how many times JR will call him "Daniel Bryan"

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

I mean Mox isn’t really on my list of favorites either but that’s cool, I’ll just wait patiently for the PNP FTR banger, or whatever crazy poo poo Fenix does next.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Nick Jr. Face posted:

What's the O/U on how many times JR will call him "Daniel Bryan"

On his first night? I’d set the line at 2.5.

Jericho really deserve credit for how his face sold Nick Gage.just pure “.what did I get my self into.”

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Just got home, I'm absolutely exhausted and hoarse. Might go into work late tomorrow.

The only other thing I'll add is if the rumors are true I am ready to love Bazooka Kaboom again and I hope CM Punk can vibe with the locker room.

If the rumors are false then AEW still kicks rear end

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
Like someone mentioned in the other thread, why is he only the 2nd labour? He should be the last one before getting to MJF.. I wonder how they'll escalate things from here...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

DuhSal posted:

Like someone mentioned in the other thread, why is he only the 2nd labour? He should be the last one before getting to MJF.. I wonder how they'll escalate things from here...

I'm like 70% that one of the last labours - probably the last - will be Wardlow in a cage. Its less shocking or dream match but it calls back to the Cody feud and it feels very reminiscent to Horsemen and cages. Just have MJF load it up so Spears is the ref and FTR 1 is the special enforcer and FTR 2 is the ring keeper and its "Jericho trapped in the cage with the Horsemen/Pinnacle". That feels like an AEW move to me.

But doing Gage at 2 does feel like you need big outsiders for 3 and 4. I think a Jeff Cobb call back would be good if possible but I think at this stage with Gage involved, NJPW titles being defended on Dynamite weekly, and The Bullet Club showing up in Impact and AEW within days of each other the door is wide loving open and all bets are off. A NJPW nam and a big signing would be my guesses.

A talking coyote posted:

I mean Mox isn’t really on my list of favorites either but that’s cool, I’ll just wait patiently for the PNP FTR banger, or whatever crazy poo poo Fenix does next.

This is also me. Also probably a wacky overbooked Cody/Black match. I'm kind of looking forward to that.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 22, 2021

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

DuhSal posted:

The final trial will be Bryan Danielson, he'll murder Jericho and then take Jericho's spot against MJF for fun.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

DuhSal posted:

2nd makes sense for me. He's a big name for a subset of hardcore fans in both senses, but not known as well to mainstream fans. He's a surprise that throws off Jericho's plans, and he opens the door to anything being possible for the last three matches.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I don't think AEW has ever done a submission match, right (well, unless you count I quit)? Maybe Minoru Suzuki for one of the labors?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lamuella posted:

2nd makes sense for me. He's a big name for a subset of hardcore fans in both senses, but not known as well to mainstream fans. He's a surprise that throws off Jericho's plans, and he opens the door to anything being possible for the last three matches.

Yeah, I think as big as Gage is for the subset of fans who know and love him he's not really the "main event" for this. But I do think ups the stakes to at least go outside AEW and the easy picks. But that's a good thing and there's lots of room to go from here.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

DuhSal posted:

"Labour number five Jericho! He's the biggest, maddest, most titanic individual you ever saw! And he has alllll of the Infinity Stones! THANOSSSS"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Crapple! posted:

"Labour number five Jericho! He's the biggest, maddest, most titanic individual you ever saw! And he has alllll of the Infinity Stones! THANOSSSS"

*snaps fingers, 50% of the RAW audience disappears*

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Lol Chavito

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
there will absolutely be a stakes match against other member(s) of inner circle

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Doing Gage at #2 ensures Jericho is beat to poo poo for 3-5 assuming he survives. Spears as #1 wasn't a surprise and lulled Jericho into a false sense of security. Now all bets are off and if he makes it to the eventual MJF match (he will), he'll be easy pickings.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Pylons posted:

I don't think AEW has ever done a submission match, right (well, unless you count I quit)? Maybe Minoru Suzuki for one of the labors?
Only issue is Japan isn't in the best of places right now but Nagata would've been great because

A) They've got history together from years ago
B) He's got a sick looking armbar and the story is Jericho's injured arm

I'm still expecting a Handicap match of some kind, even though Butcher's still out MJF paid them off before.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 22, 2021

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Gage is the Cobb throwback to when Jericho was doing this storyline with Mox. Freelance killer.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Just watched the show, I loving love pro wrestling

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

gently caress the joker. gently caress Judas. I am becoming THE PAINMAKER

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Holy poo poo this Cody/Black graphic hahahaha

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
There's more peeps here unfamiliar with Nick Gage than I realized so I'm gonna do a bit of writin about him.

Nick Gage has been one of my favorite wrestlers for a long time. Even when I hated wrestling I still watched Nick Gage matches, solely because Nick is one of the most genuine people in the business. The dude loves deathmatch wrestling. He loves it more than his own life, literally, and at the end of the day he just wants everybody to love it as much as he does. He's a dude who's been absolutely battered into the dirt by life, one of the people that just never catch a break and just get hammered down again and again and again. And despite all that, despite losing everything over and over, Nick has always gotten back up, spit out the blood, and got back in a ring to entertain his fans. I too largely destroyed myself for reasons sometimes righteous, sometimes deeply stupid, and there have been times where just dragging myself back to my feet was so hard that I legit thought the effort alone would kill me. Nick's been there. Nick's done that. It makes me feel less alone to see him pour his heart out and succeed despite everything he's been through. He's been a bastard (as have we all to one degree or another) at times, but he's worked hard to change and grow as a person. It's how we got from a recently released max-tier felon adjusting to life on the outside, when f****t was every other word out of his mouth, to this:

https://twitter.com/TigerDriver9X/status/1280569534483771393

I get that deathmatches are hard for some people to watch, and it's easy to dismiss them as mere spectacle for the sake of spectacle. But a deeper look reveals the truth, that violence itself is a language, a way of telling a story, of communicating ideas, thoughts, and feelings, no less valid at the end of the day than any other form of storytelling. This is getting long so I'm gonna cut it off here, if you've never watched death matching, give it a shot, it ain't for everyone but it can be a hell of a thing when done correctly.

in conclusion; mdk all fuckin day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUblZ9bD30k

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I was apprehensive about Andrade at first but that segment has me flippin out. I’m all in. And, gently caress: dudes just cutting promos in Spanish each other and, guess what, crowd eating it right up. Who could’ve thought if you let people do their own thing it could be…….good????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
when mjf started to introduce nick gage i thought he was like, describing nick gage to gently caress w the audience and it was gonna be, idk, what i was expecting actually but i popped so much for nick loving gage oh my god mdk all loving day. god could you imagine if they had somehow snuck a bryan danielson debut into that episode it would have been absolutely insane lol.

and another face from the 90s in chavo, joining vickie as another guerrero in service of el idolo. it feels like andrade has something to work with now with death triangle and those are going to be some SICK matches oh my god. there's so much going on in aew, theyre going to have more than enough stuff to put in that third hour of tv. and if bryan and punk actually DO end up being part of aew? gently caress that would be a real tipping point moment. like hall and nash to wcw.