Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

It's extremely fitting for the author of A Silent Voice and it rules!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Today’s episode of Dragon Maid S was good. Tohru’s love for Kobayashi reaches concerning new levels.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Anyone wanna do any watch parties or something for some of the shows tomorrow?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Sounds awesome, my hype just keeps rising

Bad news - it's by the writer of Gundam Build Divers and a few other bland, poorly-plotted original anime.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the specter of 5/10 kids show Build Divers continues to haunt mech thread posters

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

the specter of 5/10 kids show Build Divers continues to haunt mech thread posters

I mean, 5/10 shows are generally amongst the worst to watch. They're not even interestingly bad.

Gundam is a franchise with lots of really fun (or, at least, well-made - can't really call 0080 'fun') kids' shows, too, so that's no excuse.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dogsicle posted:

5/10 is far too generous for Build Divers.

It's a 3/10 kind of show in a 5/10 way, which is even worse than a purestrain 5/10. It's worse than average in just about every regard, but it's not quite terrible enough at anything to be interestingly terrible.

Twilight Axis is worse, but its a "How did this even happen?" kind of terrible, which has some value in an artistic sense. Build Divers is just a waste of everyone's time.

Especially the protagonist. He makes Kira Yamato look like Shinji Ikari.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
divers and re:rise were both 5/10 experiences. kind of boring, and i immediately forgot everything after watching it.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I'm watching nothing other than MHA this season, and that's been limping along for a few seasons now. I'm considering letting it build up for a few weeks so I can binge it, because the pacing is soo sloooow.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

divers and re:rise were both 5/10 experiences. kind of boring, and i immediately forgot everything after watching it.

This feels a little unfair to Re:Rise. It's a fairly basic portal fantasy adventure story, but there's some solid craft, charm, and heart in there. It's nowhere near as soulless as Build Divers.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

I'm not trying to give Re:rise too much credit, and I only got halfway through the first season before other shows distracted me, but no. Not even close.

Re:Rise is a 6 or maybe a 7 if it really picks up. It has characters with personalities and arcs, it has narrative stakes, it has a plot that moves forward with reveal that weren't obvious from the first scene of the first episode.

Meanwhile, Divers proper is just crap.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, 5/10 shows are generally amongst the worst to watch. They're not even interestingly bad.

Gundam is a franchise with lots of really fun (or, at least, well-made - can't really call 0080 'fun') kids' shows, too, so that's no excuse.

well usually a 5 would be something that balances some flaws/missteps and strengths, i often enjoy my seasonal 5's a lot because they are wild things to deal with. divers isn't really at that level because it doesn't have huge interesting flaws or enough payoff. but cutting bland kid paste with some amazing fights or the occasional bit of writing that speaks to an emotional core of how people interact with/through games was enough for me. especially off the heels of rewatching Try which just feels annoying and even antagonistic at times.

obviously OG Build is the standard you'd hope for but i don't find Divers particularly worse than like, ReRise s1. that ReRise takes an entire season to get over its slow burn sensibilities is its big weakness, since s2 does at least offer enough meat beyond what Divers was working with to stand above it (granted, it is literally standing on some work Divers did). ostensibly the entire franchise is kid friendly but i suppose i'm just concentrating on the Build series stuff that feels of a specific type.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I've been watching Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchuu, and I think it's one of the better shows this season. It's doing a good job of actually elaborating on the setting and the characters, keeping things interesting while mixing in some pretty okay comedy. The main gag is that the sidekicks keep stealing the show, which is working well so far.

By contrast, Seirei Gensouki has dissolved into a tepid mass of generic fantasy tropes. Not at all worth your time.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
The third episode of Seirei was incredibly cringey on all fronts. The plot was cliche as hell and the animation quality was dogshit

I really like the manga for Tsuki ga Michibiku so I’m happy the anime has been enjoyable!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
the main problem i had with re:rise s1 was they took forever to drop the obvious bomb of the dog people being real instead of npcs, so it all feels like a drag.

i think the action in both series is boring too, but ive never found robots fighting in any anime i watched to be exciting, so i think it's just a me thing

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm not trying to give Re:rise too much credit, and I only got halfway through the first season before other shows distracted me, but no. Not even close.

Re:Rise is a 6 or maybe a 7 if it really picks up. It has characters with personalities and arcs, it has narrative stakes, it has a plot that moves forward with reveal that weren't obvious from the first scene of the first episode.

Meanwhile, Divers proper is just crap.

It does pick up and build up in quite a satisfying way, so I think you might well enjoy going back to it. Much of S1 is setup for the big midpoint climax, and the show kicks into high gear from there while ably paying off its various investments.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Big energy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Maxwell Adams posted:

I've been watching Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchuu, and I think it's one of the better shows this season. It's doing a good job of actually elaborating on the setting and the characters, keeping things interesting while mixing in some pretty okay comedy. The main gag is that the sidekicks keep stealing the show, which is working well so far.

Yeah enjoying it a lot surprisingly.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Bad news - it's by the writer of Gundam Build Divers and a few other bland, poorly-plotted original anime.

I choose to believe that by breaking free of children's anime and returning to his anti-imperialist roots that he eatablished in Ring ni Kakero will be his great artistic awakening. Hype levels: uncontainable

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Maxwell Adams posted:

By contrast, Seirei Gensouki has dissolved into a tepid mass of generic fantasy tropes. Not at all worth your time.

Mark me down as liking Tsuki ga Michibiku as well. The setting is fairly interesting, the MC is inoffensive (which is a high bar with isekais), and the gags are pretty good.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dogsicle posted:

obviously OG Build is the standard you'd hope for but i don't find Divers particularly worse than like, ReRise s1. that ReRise takes an entire season to get over its slow burn sensibilities is its big weakness, since s2 does at least offer enough meat beyond what Divers was working with to stand a bit above it. ostensibly the entire franchise is kid friendly but i suppose i'm just concentrating on the Build series stuff that feels of a specific type.

Divers stands out because it has the blandest lead character ever to exist, then gives him the Poochie treatment by making everyone incredibly interested in this kid with no particular talents or personality traits.

By giving Hiroto a clearly defined personality and role in the world in his first scenes, Re:Rise proved itself a much better show, despite its faults.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

Divers stands out because it has the blandest lead character ever to exist, then gives him the Poochie treatment by making everyone incredibly interested in this kid with no particular talents or personality traits.

It worked for Build Fighters Try! :pseudo:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

By giving Hiroto a clearly defined personality and role in the world in his first scenes, Re:Rise proved itself a much better show, despite its faults.

i mean, dour lone wolf is not a defined personality i find particularly interesting even if it's more written than perfect likeable boy. certainly not in the way ReRise handled it by telegraphing his traumatic past but refusing to touch it, and having another character (Mei) that spends a good portion of the show being superficially similar, so you've got half the crew in silent emotionally-disconnected mode.

all of my issues just come back to this plodding manner in which they handle everything. the team takes forever to gel, characters like Kazami and Hiroto take forever to stop spinning their wheels, the main plot takes forever to reveal its hand. yet all this stuff has been telegraphed so heavily from first appearance you just hold frustration until they decide to resolve something and then it's just "yeah, thanks for confirming that. moving on..."

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
in like the last ep of re:rise they had a flashback set in the ancient past of furry planet showing two girls and a dog

and i spent the whole time thinking

someone hosed that dog

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you just know

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

in like the last ep of re:rise they had a flashback set in the ancient past of furry planet showing two girls and a dog

and i spent the whole time thinking

someone hosed that dog

hakkenden still has an iron grip on anime

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Can’t believe this show has the build divers pedigree behind it, ty for sharing :cheers:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Important summer season update

https://twitter.com/NetflixAnime/status/1418146253137842177

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Why does every anime movie poster have huge clouds in it?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

GorfZaplen posted:

Why does every anime movie poster have huge clouds in it?
1) Sense of scale
2) White clouds on a blue sky denote a cheery atmosphere
3) They look pretty

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the build divers guy wrote the episode of cross ange where ange runs around in a bear mascot costume with a gun and bursts in on two ladies having sex and then goes 'uhh, sorry' and one of them goes 'i mean you dont have to leave' and then it just cuts away so im forced to conclude that the build divers guy is ftw

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nemo2342 posted:

Mark me down as liking Tsuki ga Michibiku as well. The setting is fairly interesting, the MC is inoffensive (which is a high bar with isekais), and the gags are pretty good.

I haven't seen episode three yet, but I was also really impressed with episodes one and two. Chalk me down as another person who was pleasantly surprised by the show, especially the protagonist. In the first two episodes, at least, the show managed to thread an interesting line between making him powerful but also kind of lame. He's got his flaws, but he's also likable and sympathetic, and considering the genre the fact that the show can have a protagonist who is believably flawed but still a positive character is way ahead of the curve. Usually "flawed" seems to be shorthand for "an obnoxious pervert" or "cool lone wolf dude", so I am in favor of the protagonist the show being lame but in a terrestrial, sympathetic, intentional way.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I've got at least three shows this season that I'm sticking around to watch right now and Jahy hasn't come out yet and I'd hope that's number 4.

Iruma, DragonMaid and the isekai with the alchemist and cute dog wolf

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Have not watched it yet, but the first two episodes of Idaten Deities are out on Crunchyroll.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Yusin posted:

Have not watched it yet, but the first two episodes of Idaten Deities are out on Crunchyroll.

Yeah. Yep, Just watched the first episode.

The first 20 minutes are a cool, dumb show for kids. Then the last two minutes happen.

What the gently caress, Itaden Deities.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Maxwell Adams posted:

Yeah. Yep, Just watched the first episode.

The first 20 minutes are a cool, dumb show for kids. Then the last two minutes happen.

What the gently caress, Itaden Deities.
Is this a good “what the gently caress” (like it has a crazy plot twist or something), or a bad “what the gently caress”?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Yusin posted:

Yeah watched both episodes, they were both pretty good, but episode one ended with very dark stuff. Namely a rape and it made me quite uncomfortable.

I understood it's purpose when I watched the second, but it made me wonder why it was put at the end of the first episode when those themes were not being talked about there.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 22, 2021

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Is this a good “what the gently caress” (like it has a crazy plot twist or something), or a bad “what the gently caress”?

The bad kind. It's really bad, and doesn't fit at all with the tone of everything before that.

You suddenly get a scene where a nun in a church is praying to god as she is raped for foreign soldiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
gently caress spoiler culture over content warnings:
there's a violent rape at the end of the first episode that is gratuitous and dumb as hell that it's there