Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It totally makes sense to buy a lower performing milder hatch with better features etc for less money if you have other performance cars - hence my decision to buy a lightly tuned Alltrack rather than a true hot hatch. A lot of people are looking for on car to do it all, though. Not sure the Alltrack would cut it in those circumstances.

For sure, if this Stinger plan works out I still want to find a Mazda2 or a Fiesta for daily use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Rhyno posted:

For sure, if this Stinger plan works out I still want to find a Mazda2 or a Fiesta for daily use.

I had my Elantra in Ohio for about a year and was pretty set on replacing it with something bigger and softer because the environment just sucked there for it. What’s wrong with just having the stinger as a daily?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I had my Elantra in Ohio for about a year and was pretty set on replacing it with something bigger and softer because the environment just sucked there for it. What’s wrong with just having the stinger as a daily?

I want the rwd version and roads suck here in winter. I'm not worried about my ability to drive, it's other drivers and the inability to do so that concerns me. Also they salt heavily here. I'd much rather have a winter DD to soak up that poo poo.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Rhyno posted:

I want the rwd version and roads suck here in winter. I'm not worried about my ability to drive, it's other drivers and the inability to do so that concerns me. Also they salt heavily here. I'd much rather have a winter DD to soak up that poo poo.

just drive what you want, put winter tires on it, and wash it regularly

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ok Comboomer posted:

I'd rather not.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I'd rather not.

can a winter car not also be a car that you want?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Ok Comboomer posted:

This.

I drive a rwd car model that only came out for two years. I look forward to driving it in the winter. :getin:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I semi- take it back. My E36 was meticulously garaged every winter for 18 years by its rich enthusiast PO until I bought it in 2012, and now it’s spent the past 9 years living outside in the Boston area, with six of those as a daily driver. It’s definitely aged back a good number of those “saved” years in that time.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I understand both sides of this argument (my Elantra got driven back to Oregon when I knew I’d be returning to portland and I brought back a different car), but if I were going to stay in Ohio I’d have let nature take its course.

Also RWD LSD in the snow owns, and driving small sporty hatchbacks in the Midwest sucks.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

RIP Paul Walker posted:

the Midwest sucks.

Some things can't be saved no matter what you drive imho

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Some things can't be saved no matter what you drive imho

The new Lincoln continental hides the Midwest from you when you drive it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
to me it's dumb to not drive what you want year round unless you have a winter specific use case. if you live somewhere with winter cars are disposable and a stinger isn't such a valuable car as to care imo. i'd daily the M5 in the winter if the purpose of a winter driver for me wasn't to go skiing

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It’s not crazy to extend the car’s life by limiting winter driving. Salt can be a real bitch, without talking about sand and other drivers.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

that's setting aside the fact that you are then driving something dumb and bad that you don't wanna drive for like 30-40% of the year

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

just buy two of the same car

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

to me it's dumb to not drive what you want year round unless you have a winter specific use case. if you live somewhere with winter cars are disposable and a stinger isn't such a valuable car as to care imo. i'd daily the M5 in the winter if the purpose of a winter driver for me wasn't to go skiing

Yeah, not for a Stinger. Maybe for something way more expensive like a hellcat, or a roadster if you have a family and don't drive it much anyway then there's no point driving it during the winter.

Or obviously anything old and collectible too.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
What counts as old and/or collectible regarding whether or not I should be driving it more/less often? I have anxiety about possibly being so bad at stick that I'd destroy a Civic Type R and

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Just drive it

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

unless you're a drooling idiot you'll just put a little extra wear on the clutch disc (a wear item) learning stick

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

cars are consumable objects meant to provide utility and ideally pleasure to the owner so you should drive the gently caress out of whatever you own in all conditions

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

BlackMK4 posted:

Just drive it

It's this. Just drive your car.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Just drive it

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Hot hatch thread: drive the gently caress out of whatever you own in all conditions.

Or really,

AI: drive the gently caress out of whatever you own in all conditions.

This is my ethos.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
But everybody in BFC tells me I need to not to drive like that and not buy things I like because I need more debt like I need a hole in my head and my impulsiveness is guaranteed to wrap any fun car I get around a traffic pole

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Nomyth posted:

But everybody in BFC tells me I need to not to drive like that and not buy things I like because I need more debt like I need a hole in my head and my impulsiveness is guaranteed to wrap any fun car I get around a traffic pole

A car is a car is a car. It is a large, complex physical thing that's going to get poo poo on, rained on, salted on, dirty, scratched, bumped and abused. There is nothing you can do about this. If not by you, then by the world at large. Upside is they can be fixed, replaced, washed, waxed, paint-corrected, and even repainted.
If you're stuck on all the other stuff that comes with a car that's after 'drive' then I'm not sure what you are looking for. A car exists to be driven. The rest of the stuff that comes afterwards is in service to that.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You guys keep acting like I shouldnt be driving my 253k Saturn vue in the winter, and I absolutely don’t get it. Why would I drive my new car in the salt when my old one has plastic body panels?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Nomyth posted:

They are probably right, but this is AI where most of us made and probably keep making arguably dumb financial decisions over cars. Gotta find your right balance

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Dr. Lunchables posted:

You guys keep acting like I shouldnt be driving my 253k Saturn vue in the winter, and I absolutely don’t get it. Why would I drive my new car in the salt when my old one has plastic body panels?
Is the new car fun to drive? If it isn't then sure drive the vue in the winter.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

:v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Because you bought a new car so you didn't have to drive lovely Saturn?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Your 253k Saturn Vue was someone's new car at one point, illustrating where your new car will eventually end up. If not with you, then with the next owner or the one after it.
If you only care about visuals then sure I suppose you won't have visible rust, but it's still a Saturn Vue to start with, and the chassis will collapse no matter what the body looks like if it isn't maintained.

As already mentioned, is your new car better then your Vue? Would you rather be driving that? Does it really make financial sense to have two whole (I assume) registered vehicles rather than just having the one better one just to avoid putting miles on it?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
dang, getting lessons in impermanence from the hot hatch thread

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

prom candy posted:

dang, getting lessons in impermanence from the hot hatch thread

Life is too short to drive trash if you can help it :colbert:

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

Nomyth posted:

What counts as old and/or collectible regarding whether or not I should be driving it more/less often? I have anxiety about possibly being so bad at stick that I'd destroy a Civic Type R and

Eh, the type R already has a terrible gearbox and the clutch is a wear item. I taught my wife to drive stick in it and it doesn't feel any better or worse as a result. does that really matter? It puts a big dumb grin on my face any time I go past 3500 on the tachometer and it does ok on 10 hour drives when I need it to.

Get the car that makes you smile and also does what you need. When it's not a dick move to do so, drive it like a drat maniac. There is almost nothing in life so valuable that 'saving' it is better than actually enjoying it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
everything dies

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

It’s not Automotive Insanity because of all the reasonable, rational decisions being made. GOSH.

That’s why I sold my 50k mile gen 3 Mazda3 hatch with ACC and all the modern features you’d expect from a new car today really. I then spent 50% more to buy a 10 year old 84k mile BMW wagon with a minorish accident!

I’m all for drive the poo poo out if the thing you love, but I can also totally understand not wanting to have to rinse the undercarriage constantly of a car you like. People talking poo poo saying ‘just a stinger’ (lmao at first I wrote just a singer which would be some real flexing) are honestly kind of not cool, if that car is special to OP where they want it to last longer and not dispose of it as well as not have to rinse the drat thing constantly in the cold rear end weather, then we should probably be like ya man get a winter car, save your nice car, enjoy your nice thing how best gives you joy! Worrying about idiots losing control of their cars and slamming into a car you really like I think is pretty understandable!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TheBacon posted:

It’s not Automotive Insanity because of all the reasonable, rational decisions being made. GOSH.

That’s why I sold my 50k mile gen 3 Mazda3 hatch with ACC and all the modern features you’d expect from a new car today really. I then spent 50% more to buy a 10 year old 84k mile BMW wagon with a minorish accident!

I’m all for drive the poo poo out if the thing you love, but I can also totally understand not wanting to have to rinse the undercarriage constantly of a car you like. People talking poo poo saying ‘just a stinger’ (lmao at first I wrote just a singer which would be some real flexing) are honestly kind of not cool, if that car is special to OP where they want it to last longer and not dispose of it as well as not have to rinse the drat thing constantly in the cold rear end weather, then we should probably be like ya man get a winter car, save your nice car, enjoy your nice thing how best gives you joy! Worrying about idiots losing control of their cars and slamming into a car you really like I think is pretty understandable!

If I treated my $3500 E36 the way people here told me to treat it 9 years ago I wouldn’t have it right now. People treating old Hondas the way they did for decades is why you can sell the right ‘92 Civic for $30k now, and why E30s are probably out of my reach forever

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

KakerMix posted:

Your 253k Saturn Vue was someone's new car at one point, illustrating where your new car will eventually end up. If not with you, then with the next owner or the one after it.
If you only care about visuals then sure I suppose you won't have visible rust, but it's still a Saturn Vue to start with, and the chassis will collapse no matter what the body looks like if it isn't maintained.

As already mentioned, is your new car better then your Vue? Would you rather be driving that? Does it really make financial sense to have two whole (I assume) registered vehicles rather than just having the one better one just to avoid putting miles on it?

The plastic on the Saturn is really the whole reason it’s still around and doesn’t have fist sized rust holes all around the body. It’s kind of a reach to say I’d only be interested in aesthetics without maintenance when talking about : a) a Saturn Vue and b) a car I’ve personally maintained for the past 180k

It’s paid off and costs almost nothing to insure. Is it as fun to drive as the FiST (which also costs almost nothing to insure)? Absolutely not. But it drives, and insurance + registration costs less than a set of winter tires. Extending the life of one vehicle by driving another makes a lot of sense to me in this case because the Saturn is on its way out anyways.

It’s basically what everyone’s saying anyways: drive the car, it’s a consumable. But I can only drive one car at a time, and road salt kills cars fast, plus 6 months of winter, so why not kill the Saturn?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
work from home, save your cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

TheBacon posted:

I’m all for drive the poo poo out if the thing you love, but I can also totally understand not wanting to have to rinse the undercarriage constantly of a car you like. People talking poo poo saying ‘just a stinger’ (lmao at first I wrote just a singer which would be some real flexing) are honestly kind of not cool,

It's just an opinion dude, to me a Stinger is not worth keeping in the garage for an entire winter season to drive some other lovely car while my nice, new and comfortable powerful Stinger sits and collects dust....It wouldn't be worth it to me. I mean when I lived in Wisconsin I knew guys that drove winter beaters, and I never understood why they would subject themselves to that all winter long. My uncle had a new Trans Am, and while it was nice it wasn't some kind of rare car or anything special, but he drove this old rear end Delta 88 land barge all winter long and it was a horrible car. gently caress that.