Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

thread family atomics now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
gold powerarmour is a bit lol

still, getting hyped now

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Feel like that trailer just hosed me like an Honored Matre

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

ball of ibad (this ship is but a speck when exiting the heighliner opening)

guildies in the background, there are closer looks in the first 10 minutes, but no faces.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i want the rad vocal that accompanies the title card to be appended to every one of my posts

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Anne Frank Funk posted:

guildies in the background, there are closer looks in the first 10 minutes, but no faces.

I gasped, thanks for pointing this out.

Is this some invented scene where Shaddam officially passes off Arrakis to Leto?

Also who are those people who are fully robed/covered about 20 seconds in?

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 22, 2021

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

both screens are from a new scene

Caladan landing pad
Atreides army in formation backs up the family, everyone is there. Thufir takes the space of two men with his wide stance (lol)
Shots of guild high liner hanging over the planet. A giant, GIANT cigar with a smooth opening on two(?) ends akin to front of an old timey sports car's aerodynamically shaped, oval air intake.
It’s huge, a tiny ship emerges from it to land on Arrakis. It is a sphere, think the ship they land on the moon with in 2001, the egg shaped one. I would say a direct inspiration. (Or the ship the two high af aliens crash land in the Heavy Metal movie). It descends on the landing pad.

The scale of this thing!!!

It extends its landing gear which is itself the size of like 10 story building

A no joke carpet rolls out of the ship. Well a ramp extends, 100m wide, the ramp is carpeted.

A delegation, including the imperial envoy walks to the landing pad.
It includes:
Sardaukar (black, tacticool, no faced)
A Bene gesserit witch (not Charlotte Rampling or my eyes deceive me), to be frank she was veiled all the time and Jessica trembled when she spotted her, so by all counts she probably was the magical pussy possessing Gaius Helen Mohiam
GUILD STEERSMEN, suited up in sort of light colored space suits, the bulbous helmets showing lots of orange :gas: floating inside. Faces obscured, proportions human.
The imperial envoy, carrying a bit of 300’s Xerxes presence but without all the jewelry.

The formal process of transferring Arrakis to Atreides thus began.

The dude rolled out a medieval style parchment scroll (Uber sized), read the lease conditions out loud, got everyones John Hancocks and seals (duke of course had the seal on his famed ring).

The Duke had a short speech about atreides honor and not skipping on any, even the most treacherous and see through orders from their buddy, the emperor.
When he finished talking the troops behind him shouted 4 times “Atreides, we are dumb!”

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

That fat man floated!

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Anne Frank Funk posted:

both screens are from a new scene

I'll skip the black bars, but thanks for posting anyway :)

I like the way the guild heighliner looks. Also it looks like we'll get at least a brief glimpse at Salusa Secundus. There's also a shot that looks so clearly to be Paul calling his first worm, but clearly that can't be it.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 22, 2021

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Marvin the Paranoid Android visits Lilliput!

I watched the trailer, it was... what I expected? Recognisable beats from the novel (and Lynch's film, just with different aesthetics). Also quips, because dammit the trailer guys gotta have some laugh-lines in there, even if they're probably the only ones in the film!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

They changed stuff from the book. 0/10 will not watch :colbert:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Payndz posted:

Also quips, because dammit the trailer guys gotta have some laugh-lines in there, even if they're probably the only ones in the film!

Yeah, I recognize that this is a general demographic push technique post-mcu, and it will never not be cringe, but the Dune teaser was so artfully done that I can forgive it. However I do like that this main trailer managed to avoid splicing in any text between shots

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I hate that same day streaming might jeopardize Part 2, but on the other hand it’s gonna be awesome to see this in IMAX on opening weekend and then watch it again as soon as I get home.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jewmanji posted:

I hate that same day streaming might jeopardize Part 2, but on the other hand it’s gonna be awesome to see this in IMAX on opening weekend and then watch it again as soon as I get home.

There was never ever ever going to be a part 2.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

^^^^^
lies

Jewmanji posted:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I am excite.

I am also just a touch annoyed that the scope still seems small. Where are my gigantic armies generated with LOTR chaos engine

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Unless they filmed them together like Lord of the Rings there is no timeline where we got part 2.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

we heard you

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Anyway trailer was far superior to the first one. Don;t like the look of the sand worms and the colors aren't good enough but I'll still be there first showing.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

Unless they filmed them together like Lord of the Rings there is no timeline where we got part 2.

Ah yes, Hollywood, that famously sequel-averse industry

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Gurn, Smiley!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Baron floating was such a sick shot.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Warner Bros. has been desperate for a tentpole ever since Harry Potter ended and they have been trying to force DC into the marvel mold with very mixed returns. They absolutely want this to work out and have sequels and the only reason they haven’t announced that is because of Green Lantern

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

kiimo posted:

Warner Bros. has been desperate for a tentpole ever since Harry Potter ended and they have been trying to force DC into the marvel mold with very mixed returns. They absolutely want this to work out and have sequels and the only reason they haven’t announced that is because of Green Lantern

Yeah but WB is only the distributor. Isn’t the same day steaming going to potentially turbo-gently caress Legendary out of the earnings they need to justify part 2?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
The closet IMAX to me would be Memphis, and sorry DUNE, but I am not going to into that cesspit of a city, even if I am fully vaxxed.

I'll just have to make do with the local theater.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Looks great, script seems kind of terrible (granted they picked the lowest-rent lines for the trailer, but still real bad). Big lol at gold stillsuit

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Shoulda put Edric in the stands next to Baby Jane in Space Jam 2 I guess. Missed synergy

e: I bet that gold suit sequence is paul dreaming of jihad

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 22, 2021

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Excited about everything oozing style, less excited about the trailer making it seem like Dune: The Action Movie. Hopefully it's just the trailer doing trailer things.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jewmanji posted:

Yeah but WB is only the distributor. Isn’t the same day steaming going to potentially turbo-gently caress Legendary out of the earnings they need to justify part 2?

Believe in the power of Timothée Chalamet and Zendaya to put teenage butts in seats

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Flakey posted:

Excited about everything oozing style, less excited about the trailer making it seem like Dune: The Action Movie. Hopefully it's just the trailer doing trailer things.

They gotta sell the thing and to make enough to "justify" the second part you're gonna need people to show up who want big action set pieces. It's possible those are chunks from all the action scenes the movie has. Considering Bladerunner I doubt they turned it into an action extravaganza.

skasion posted:

Looks great, script seems kind of terrible (granted they picked the lowest-rent lines for the trailer, but still real bad). Big lol at gold stillsuit

Someday we'll escape the stain of Josh Whedon quipping but today is not that day.

vvv hell yeah

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 22, 2021

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I repeat, having seen like 15 minutes of the movie. The real pacing is veeery deliberate. Even in the action scenes there are no quick cuts for the sake of cuts.

Like... the scene where the emperial posse steps down from their egg ship. It takes ages in comparison to what you would normally see.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!

Jewmanji posted:

There's also a shot that looks so clearly to be Paul calling his first worm, but clearly that can't be it.

Probably Liet Kynes the planetologist hitching a ride to the next geostation in the local fashion. The very next shot is her face.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Jewmanji posted:

There's also a shot that looks so clearly to be Paul calling his first worm, but clearly that can't be it.

Considering all the prescience dreams he has in the first half of the novel, it's not out of the question; could be a snapshot flash-forward.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

It's probably for the best that they relaxed some of Herbert's dialogue a bit rather than try to put it in mostly verbatim like Lynch. Some of the Geidi Prime shots look like something Jodorowsky would have imagined. That shot of those sacrifices (?) pinned upside down to slabs makes me wonder how icky this movie is gonna get. Also they gotta be moving some stuff around - Jamis and Duncan look like they're around longer than they're supposed to be.
Oh yeah, and I hope they tighten up the graphics on that Paul's head inside his combat suit - it's giving off Iron man 1 vibes.

DebonaireD fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 22, 2021

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

So last time I'll be dangling this in front of you, but I edited down the spoilers just to what can be seen in trailer 1 and 2. The text below puts the clips in a wider context, you may still want to avoid it.

First 10 mins

Arrakis
After the title card we’re on Arrakis and Chani speaks in a voice over about how she loves the planet (shots of general oppression and rabban with his whip), is surprised that they left out of nowhere, fears what the new rulers will bring.
Chani is actually in a fremen guerilla crew jumping a harvester and generally getting wasted and barely escaping with their lives, Harkonnen harvesters are heavily guarded, they have what seemed like cluster munition ready to deploy against attackers.
The design of harkonnen stillsuits have a lot in common to let’s say, skinnier versions of big daddies from bioshock.
!!!Jamis plays a major role in this raid!!!

Caladan landing pad
Atreides army in formation backs up the family, everyone is there. Thufir takes the space of two men with his wide stance (lol)
Shots of guild high liner hanging over the planet. A giant, GIANT cigar with a smooth opening on two(?) ends akin to front of an old timey sports car's aerodynamically shaped, oval air intake. [actually not the shot of heighliner from the trailer but similar enough]
It’s huge, a tiny ship emerges from it to land on Arrakis. It is a sphere, think the ship they land on the moon with in 2001, the egg shaped one. I would say a direct inspiration. (Or the ship the two high af aliens crash land in the Heavy Metal movie). It descends on the landing pad.

The scale of this thing!!!

It extends its landing gear which is itself the size of like 10 story building

A no joke carpet rolls out of the ship. Well a ramp extends, 100m wide, the ramp is carpeted.

A delegation, including the imperial envoy walks to the landing pad.
It includes:
Sardaukar (black, tacticool, no faced)
A Bene gesserit witch (not Charlotte Rampling or my eyes deceive me), to be frank she was veiled all the time and Jessica trembled when she spotted her, so by all counts she probably was the magical pussy possessing Gaius Helen Mohiam [Quinn the dune youtuber also expressed his doubts that it is Charlotte, so maybe I was right after all]
GUILD STEERSMEN, suited up in sort of light colored space suits, the bulbous helmets showing lots of orange :gas: floating inside. Faces obscured, proportions human.
The imperial envoy, carrying a bit of 300’s Xerxes presence but without all the jewelry.

harverster

trailer has some beats from this part (new, not in the book):
when Paul gets the first whiff of spice rich sand he comes into sort of a trance on the ground, when he should be directing people to his fathers thopter he just falls to his knees and has bit of a mindfuck. Words whisper on the wind “kwisatz haderach is awakening!” (I know this only from the subtitles, it was largely unintelligible, likely not to be consciously understood by the English language audience who will watch it without subs).
The sound design changes for Paul’s vision. We can hear almost nothing until Gurney grabs him by the shoulders and drags him to the thopter. Gurney and Paul run away from the sandworm - this is the shot from the first trailer spliced together and color corrected to match an encounter with the worm later in the book
Then they leave, watching the worm swallow the harvester from the thopter’s ramp (promo pic from way back).

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 22, 2021

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

DebonaireD posted:

Jamis and Duncan look like they're around longer than they're supposed to be.

Good

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Good guys beard

Bad guys bald

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
My unorthodox take on the book, which I feel is even more relevant for the film, is that Duncan and Gurney should’ve been condensed into a single character. I get that Thufir, Gurney, Duncan, and Yueh all kind of represent Leto’s privy chamber, but Duncan and Gurney just never seem to be differentiated much in my mind (sequels notwithstanding). Seeing the actors on screen definitely helps, but I just don’t think the narrative requires two characters for their roles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Within Dune itself sure. but Duncan has to die in the Harkonnen/Sardukar invasion for like 70% of the plot of the other five books to happen