Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ex Mods Poll Opinions (+current IK +current mod)
This poll is closed.
Relax or Die: i'll tell you what it is: posting theft 10 0.07%
ShallNoiseUpon: i have reported oddium for stealing posting valor i hope the moderators will sort this out post haste 14 0.09%
Cheetah7071: more like snoreson smells 18 0.12%
Oddium: no poll for solidarity with mobile users 36 0.24%
Metis: I promise never to interfere in poll results 15001 99.46%
Hmmmmmm. 4 0.03%
Total: 15083 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

cheetah7071 posted:

Turns out Golden Sun Dark Dawn is a moon game

I'm playing so many moon games this year. 2021 is the year of the moon
The moon is evil and out to destroy us

Therefore we must destroy the moon first

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTJ3LIA5LmA

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Skyward Sword's into sucking is not news anymore, but geez, what a dull call to adventure. It's remarkable how well they nailed it in Ocarina of Time. Doesn't gently caress around, navi wakes you up, Saria immediately is like bing bong lets go and yer goin. Cozy lil tutorial area that is safe, teaches you the stuff, and is charming, then you go to the Deku Tree and immediately you get a sense of this journey and world much bigger than you. Skyward Sword is just "haha this is really how we've set up camera controls"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The United States posted:

I already played a game where the final boss is the moon this year

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The United States posted:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Lmao

New World is bricking 3090s because the menus aren't frame limited and run too hot

https://www.windowscentral.com/amazons-new-world-bricking-rtx-3090-graphics-cards?amp&__twitter_impression=true

If running a card at 100% bricks it, that's the fault of the card manufacturer and not the game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Andrast posted:

If running a card at 100% bricks it, that's the fault of the card manufacturer and not the game.

Eh, I go both ways with it. The problem isn't that it was running at 100%, it does that fine. The problem is most components were idling at 5-10% and a couple components were running at 7000%.

I've noticed the same issue on a few other games menus and its forced me to set a frame limiter. Fortunately nvidia just added a driver level frame limiter that works great (I wonder if they know lol).

Could this be a manufacturer weakness where their power delivery or thermal regulation could be better? Maybe. Could the driver better detect other fail states to automatically throttle? Possibly.

But the game is still putting massive weird loads on the gpu that it doesn't even need to.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

you shouldnt be able to quickly damage hardware with user mode software, or heck not from kernel mode either but thats not always possible, is my opinion. its not the 80s, putting in a floppy that pokes video registers until your crt catches on fire isnt funny anymore

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

homeless snail posted:

you shouldnt be able to quickly damage hardware with user mode software, or heck not from kernel mode either but thats not always possible, is my opinion. its not the 80s, putting in a floppy that pokes video registers until your crt catches on fire isnt funny anymore

I agree with that totally in theory. But I also think it may be harder to pull off in practice than it seems. Actually achieving that may require a console like platform with a walled garden and signed software only, and that has bigger issues.

I mean, running a GPU at 100% mining all day every day 24/7 is going to brick it eventually, so there are limits regardless.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I mean, running a GPU at 100% mining all day every day 24/7 is going to brick it eventually, so there are limits regardless.

Yeah, after years of running

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yeah mining damage is a result of long term abuse, new world came out like yesterday and its already destroyed peoples computers. thats an oversight in, whatever part of the gpu is melting down, whether it needs thermal throttling or some kind of rate limiting or whatever, some level of the stack from driver to firmware to hardware needs to step in and prevent malicious or just maliciously incompetent code doing damage to your hardware

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
CPUs have downclocked or halted on thermal redlines for years, if a GPU can’t do the same it’s poorly designed

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

haveblue posted:

CPUs have downclocked or halted on thermal redlines for years, if a GPU can’t do the same it’s poorly designed

GPUs do the same :v:

Zaphod42 posted:

The problem isn't that it was running at 100%, it does that fine. The problem is most components were idling at 5-10% and a couple components were running at 7000%.

The overall thermal package was still fine, the problem here is a specific hotspot which normal gameplay never causes. As I already said, more thermal detection (additional points of testing) could help, but would it always? Its just not that simple.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I already played a game where the final boss is the moon this year

Which one

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
If NEWWORLD is the only game destroying GPUs, then it stands to reason the game is partially at fault

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wow the Reapers are terrible

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That was in reference to TWEWY

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Lollipop guy (Kariya?) is pretty cool along with Sho, IMO.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Kariya rules and is one of my favorite characters in TWEWY, so you better believe im super loving hyped hes gonna be in NEO

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SMT Nocturne

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Yardbomb posted:

>A female Activision employee who took her own life while on a company trip with her male supervisor

:wtc:

How fuckin abominable must your company be for suicide on a company trip

I really hope they did a thorough investigation of that, because my first instinct is that he killed her then covered it up.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ymgve posted:

I really hope they did a thorough investigation of that, because my first instinct is that he killed her then covered it up.

As far as I'm concerned it's murder either way.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’m surprised SMT games (the ones I’ve played) don’t have “superbosses”, I’ve always been able to beat the final bosses with half-assed demons/personas

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Jay Rust posted:

I’m surprised SMT games (the ones I’ve played) don’t have “superbosses”, I’ve always been able to beat the final bosses with half-assed demons/personas

Oh boy, Digital Devil Saga would like a word with you in regards to superbosses.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I see some Blizz exec used a monkey paw to wish everyone would stop talking about how bad they hosed the latest WoW expansion

But seriously, that's loving disgusting and I hope that company gets nailed to the wall they won't because they're rich

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

SMT has always had problems with the final bosses being piss easy. Pretty much all of them have super bosses though. Beelzebub in I, the fiends in 2, Lucifer in Nocturne, Demi fiend in DDS and Satan in DDS2

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Today a paramotor flew above my house.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm seeing a lot less denial, victim blaming and "who cares"ing around the ActiBlizz allegations than there was with Ubisoft and all the other examples. Maybe people are more primed to hate Activision since they've always sort of been the villains of the industry - or maybe attitudes are starting to change?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Kirby gets the powers of any creature he eats

In Smash Bros we see evidence of multiple Kirbys

So what happens when a Kirby eats a Kirby? :thunkher:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kurbu.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

stev posted:

I'm seeing a lot less denial, victim blaming and "who cares"ing around the ActiBlizz allegations than there was with Ubisoft and all the other examples. Maybe people are more primed to hate Activision since they've always sort of been the villains of the industry - or maybe attitudes are starting to change?

I think the source being "the state of California" and sheer fuckedupness of the allegations make it pretty indefensibly bad.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Have you seen The One?

I imagine it's like that. Soon only one Kirby will remain, and his power will be absolute.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

exquisite tea posted:

I think the source being "the state of California" and sheer fuckedupness of the allegations make it pretty indefensibly bad.

Yeah, if actual Big Dick Government is dragging them into court, you know they have enough evidence to crucify them.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mode 7 posted:

I imagine it's like that. Soon only one Kirby will remain, and his power will be absolute.

And that Kirby.... was VideoGames :aaaaa:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Jeff Kaplan sweating in front of a judge trying to explain why his game name is a play on Big Ole Titties.

Anyway, good. gently caress'em.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is definitely a mixture of the scale of how hosed up everything it is combined with a company that has done a lot to piss away any sort of good will it once had.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

stev posted:

ActiBlizz has been loving over their employees for years.

Unfortunately it seems the fratboy culture has been going back 20 years when it was just Blizzard.
https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/op1t7m/activision_blizzard_sued_by_california_over_frat/h62n78j

Short version is everything is hosed, and they've essentially been paying lip service to fixing issues/respecting human rights/basically not being a soulless plague upon the earth.

Hunt11 posted:

It is definitely a mixture of the scale of how hosed up everything it is combined with a company that has done a lot to piss away any sort of good will it once had.

WoW in particular feels EXTREMELY design by committee these days and the writing on the main story line is atrocious.

Sylvanas, who has been on a genocidal rampage for 2 expansions, looks like she's getting a redemption arc because The Good Part Of Her Soul was locked away from her.
No I am not making this up.

They've had 2 really good points to end the faction war for good, and let players group with whoever they like, and they still haven't done it.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Really enjoying Pokemon Unite, seems really fun, I hope it keeps a community, because a 10 minute moba with 2 skills is like a dream come true for me with ADHD.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wow the Reapers are terrible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U-BPDDDSto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Rarity posted: