Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Elukka posted:

What's fun about dwarves? I want to be sold on them because I kinda wanna play them, but being slow and armored doesn't seem that appealing and at least early game they didn't feel very exciting.

They are tanky and sturdy and have a lot of really good ranged options, from skirmishers to artillery. If you like shooty armies they are very good and fun. Their infantry mostly just exist to be really good meatshields so the ranged stuff can obliterate everything.

With that said, there are better ranged armies out there too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
If you aren't fighting 2 or more stacks of greenskins/skaven with your 16 unit stack of dwarfs, running out of ammo and freaking out before reforming as the entire army that just broke turns back on you, then sitting in a glorious ring of impenetrable steel for ten minutes you're loving it up.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Dwarves are skaven for people who hate micro. Tar pit your enemies and have your weapons teams and artillery nuke them. Also the gyrocopters are fun now.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Forget small and cute, give Slaanesh a unit of himbo warriors that slay their enemies with JoJo poses.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Forget small and cute, give Slaanesh a unit of himbo warriors that slay their enemies with JoJo poses.

I think these basically do exist now so we may get them

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
They've done a lot of work with Slaneesh recently. He/she used to be the most generic and least defined chaos god out there where the most defining visual trait of the army used to be demons with "crab claws" (???)

But now they're basically turning Slaanesh into the most flamboyant and fancy chaos army where the demons all wear elaborate outfits and jewels instead of being adorned with gory skulls and heavy metal (Khorne), poo and pus (Nurgle) or tomes and extra limbs (Tzeentch). It's much improved:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

So the Ginyu Force is Slaanesh

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Elukka posted:

What's fun about dwarves? I want to be sold on them because I kinda wanna play them, but being slow and armored doesn't seem that appealing and at least early game they didn't feel very exciting.

they're hammer and anvil except the hammer is also behind the anvil, shooting a bunch

the downside is they're always hammer and anvil

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Dwarf infantry kill fine tbh they'll just never chase anything down to put on the rest of the damage. They'll stand and fight another unit all day tho so you've got time for slow maneuvering and getting guns into a flank or if you're a baller, slayers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

So the Ginyu Force is Slaanesh

Well Recoome and Guldo are Khorne and Nurgle but yeah for the rest of them.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The most fun I ever had with Dwarves was when I put rifles on the Ironbreakers and just had armies of 10 of them, 4 cannons, 4 organ guns, general and a runesmith. The cannons kill the big things before they get to your line and everything else kills anything else that gets in range. It'd probably work just fine with thunderers 90% of the time but every so often something will make it through and wreck your line.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Dwarves are fun in Closer to Tabletop cause they have a bit less armour and basic shooting but are killer in melee and their heroes and Lords are very strong

Plus they are a fun and fluffy match up vs elves since elves are squishier but have better base stats so the tricky bastards can out fight your dwarf lines if you aren't careful and you both have small numbers

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Zzulu posted:

They've done a lot of work with Slaneesh recently. He/she used to be the most generic and least defined chaos god out there where the most defining visual trait of the army used to be demons with "crab claws" (???)

But now they're basically turning Slaanesh into the most flamboyant and fancy chaos army where the demons all wear elaborate outfits and jewels instead of being adorned with gory skulls and heavy metal (Khorne), poo and pus (Nurgle) or tomes and extra limbs (Tzeentch). It's much improved:

It seems to me in Warhammer Fantasy novels Slaneesh and Tzeentch are the two most popular Chaos gods to use as villains or for cults. I don't think I've seen a singl Khorne cult in any of the books, and there were only 2 Nurgle worshippers, one in a short story, one in one of the Witch Hunter books.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

So, Sigvald?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

It seems to me in Warhammer Fantasy novels Slaneesh and Tzeentch are the two most popular Chaos gods to use as villains or for cults. I don't think I've seen a singl Khorne cult in any of the books, and there were only 2 Nurgle worshippers, one in a short story, one in one of the Witch Hunter books.

Khorne cults were big in 40k for a while. They played up the "Warrior culture" stuff and had disciplined chaos imperial guard companies worshipping him. I don't recall ever seeing them in fantasy though, it's all Norska screaming about khorne.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

That may be because they're the easiest cults to build a mystery around. A Nurgle cult is going to have every member weeping pus with flies buzzing around them, and I don't think Khorne even uses traditional cults: he's worshipped through combat.

It's been a while since I read any 40k books, but it's similar. I recall Ciaphas Cain fights Chaos a few times, but the only time they're major villains, they're Slaneesh or Undivided.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I remember one of the rpg books writing about a khorne cult based around a knight order that was stationed in the city where Archeon's forces were driven back from during the storm of chaos campaign. They stayed loyal to the Empire because they looked at how incompetent the siege was going from the chaos side and wanted no part of it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hunt11 posted:

I remember one of the rpg books writing about a khorne cult based around a knight order that was stationed in the city where Archeon's forces were driven back from during the storm of chaos campaign. They stayed loyal to the Empire because they looked at how incompetent the siege was going from the chaos side and wanted no part of it.

Yep, the Crimson Skulls. They're the villains of one of the big RPG campaigns, and it's not very good because it turns out Khorne cultists usually don't make very good subtle agents and a bunch of vaguely tangentially related murderers can't sustain a long term story. Only the guys in Middenheim really work out as a cult. They also kinda figured: If we fight him and lose, well, Khorne cares not from where the blood flows. If we fight him and win, we're heroes of the Empire and well situated to spread Khorne worship and corrupt anti-Sigmarite Ulricans. It was a good scheme.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Night10194 posted:

Yep, the Crimson Skulls. They're the villains of one of the big RPG campaigns, and it's not very good because it turns out Khorne cultists usually don't make very good subtle agents and a bunch of vaguely tangentially related murderers can't sustain a long term story. Only the guys in Middenheim really work out as a cult. They also kinda figured: If we fight him and lose, well, Khorne cares not from where the blood flows. If we fight him and win, we're heroes of the Empire and well situated to spread Khorne worship and corrupt anti-Sigmarite Ulricans. It was a good scheme.

That's actually a really fun variation on a Khorne cult.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
What the gently caress

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

smug jeebus posted:

What the gently caress

What you can't see are the ghosts holding them up.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Elukka posted:

Dawi are fun because as Arghy's stream of consciousness reply to you sorta says is that their ranged units are really good. They're a fun faction if you like finding a way to kill your opponent while only have 3 melee units in your entire army. Despite what Arghy says, their lords and heroes are fine if you use them right, and can be amazeballs if you kit them out with items you use their semi-unique mechanic to craft items that you want them to have. For example you can give Thanes (melee hero) and lords Perfect Vigour and Regeneration, so you can stick 'em up on a wall then laugh all the way to the bank. Downsides is slow growth, no cav, and no magic other than Rune magic (which just got buffed).

If you do not like gunlines and artillery then you might not enjoy them, but I think they're a blast if you use 'em right.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

smug jeebus posted:

What the gently caress

I don't know how to feel about this new Elden Ring UI

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Closer to Tabletop still getting updates? That one was a fun 3rd place overhaul mod after Lucky's mod and Grimhammer. I liked the way artillery worked in that mod where it was absolutely devastating with a random chance the artillery would break down.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Its called Boyz will be Boyz now, but yeah

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, the skaven plague is absolutely awful to deal with as Dwarfs.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

smug jeebus posted:

What the gently caress

casylvania

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is Closer to Tabletop still getting updates? That one was a fun 3rd place overhaul mod after Lucky's mod and Grimhammer. I liked the way artillery worked in that mod where it was absolutely devastating with a random chance the artillery would break down.

yeah it gets updated nearly instantly every DLC

i miss luckys mod the most but its now my default overhaul

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Funky See Funky Do posted:

The most fun I ever had with Dwarves was when I put rifles on the Ironbreakers and just had armies of 10 of them, 4 cannons, 4 organ guns, general and a runesmith. The cannons kill the big things before they get to your line and everything else kills anything else that gets in range. It'd probably work just fine with thunderers 90% of the time but every so often something will make it through and wreck your line.

The dawi thunder mod gives you elite thunderers who are basically longbeards with rifles.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Dawi are fun because as Arghy's stream of consciousness reply to you sorta says is that their ranged units are really good. They're a fun faction if you like finding a way to kill your opponent while only have 3 melee units in your entire army. Despite what Arghy says, their lords and heroes are fine if you use them right, and can be amazeballs if you kit them out with items you use their semi-unique mechanic to craft items that you want them to have. For example you can give Thanes (melee hero) and lords Perfect Vigour and Regeneration, so you can stick 'em up on a wall then laugh all the way to the bank. Downsides is slow growth, no cav, and no magic other than Rune magic (which just got buffed).

If you do not like gunlines and artillery then you might not enjoy them, but I think they're a blast if you use 'em right.

I play mostly dawi with a ton of mods to beef them up, thanes with a ton of items will lose most fights. They're literally meant to be tanky not killy which is dumb as hell and the fact that they don't get mount options means fully leveled up they'll often lose against comparable heroes.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

Heralds of Tzeentch are the same size as a human or bigger.

They are teeny tiny and adorable.

smug jeebus posted:

What the gently caress

The vampires are mortals squatting in dark elf ruins and aping the druchii (compare Manfred’s outfit with Lokhir’s for example), just like Brettonnians are mortals squatting in asur ruins and imitating the high elves.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

smug jeebus posted:

What the gently caress

Lots of bugs coming out of the last patch.

As far as the dwarf conversation, I find them fun (probably my most-played faction) because they don’t really have a doomstack army comp. you should have a few artillery pieces (to get a defending army to advance/for towers in sieges/etc), but beyond that, army comp is pretty flexible. Melee infantry in WH has always sucked, but beyond that, lots of potential army comps are viable. My default stack is a few single entities (to tank in melee), a few miners with blasting charges to back up the lord/heroes, and then a bunch of quarrelers in a checkerboard formation, because they can definitely hold a line in melee when necessary. You don’t need a lot of melee-only because the missile infantry does just fine in melee.

I’ll mess around with various comps once my economy can support it. 3 single entities and 17 organ guns? Why not

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

wiegieman posted:

What you can't see are the ghosts holding them up.

Cursing the ghosts of your enemies to hold up your ridiculous architecture for eternity is very vampire counts.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Arghy posted:

I play mostly dawi with a ton of mods to beef them up, thanes with a ton of items will lose most fights. They're literally meant to be tanky not killy which is dumb as hell and the fact that they don't get mount options means fully leveled up they'll often lose against comparable heroes.

I don't get why the dwarf melee hero being tanky is dumb. My best thane in my Thorek game has 3500 hp, 200 armor, perfect vigor, 105 MD, 80 MA (plus frenzy and 10+ points of both anti-large and anti-infantry), and over 600 damage (roughly 300 each non-AP and AP). He could have even higher stats, but I've got a potion of healing in there because slaughtering enemies is thirsty work and a few of them occasionally get hits in.

I don't think I'd give him a mount if I could, because then he'd block gunfire, and most of the point of the thane is to tie up enemy heroes, lords, and monsters while the gunline puts them down. I don't think he could duel Grimgor or Tyrion or whatever, but I also don't think some random Empire captain is going to have much success just because they might get in a knockdown once.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

litany of gulps posted:

I don't get why the dwarf melee hero being tanky is dumb. My best thane in my Thorek game has 3500 hp, 200 armor, perfect vigor, 105 MD, 80 MA (plus frenzy and 10+ points of both anti-large and anti-infantry), and over 600 damage (roughly 300 each non-AP and AP). He could have even higher stats, but I've got a potion of healing in there because slaughtering enemies is thirsty work and a few of them occasionally get hits in.

I don't think I'd give him a mount if I could, because then he'd block gunfire, and most of the point of the thane is to tie up enemy heroes, lords, and monsters while the gunline puts them down. I don't think he could duel Grimgor or Tyrion or whatever, but I also don't think some random Empire captain is going to have much success just because they might get in a knockdown once.

That's literally going to be a single hero with all of that, on average thanes will lose to most melee hero units. The problem is you only get 3 goddamn hero units and the other 2 aren't gonna pick up the slack so you need to heavily rely on your thanes. Compared to literally every other race you can eventually put heroes on mounts that increase their lethality and help your lords punch above their weight. Grimgor for example will loving murder your lords in early/mid game so you think, oh i'll get a thane to help! Nope your thane sucks rear end and now you just lost both of them.

Dawi desperately need more heroes, mods help but there's people suffering through without mods. Thanes need oathstones that basically make them unbreakable and beef them up but they can't move fast when it's popped. The vanilla lords need to have pistol and great weapon variants. They need ranger heroes/lords with multiple weapon variants or an option to choose. Basically gently caress elves because they get all of the above.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
There has to be a third DLC for the Dwarfs coming in TWW3 right? It feels like a no brainer.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Arghy posted:

That's literally going to be a single hero with all of that, on average thanes will lose to most melee hero units. The problem is you only get 3 goddamn hero units and the other 2 aren't gonna pick up the slack so you need to heavily rely on your thanes. Compared to literally every other race you can eventually put heroes on mounts that increase their lethality and help your lords punch above their weight. Grimgor for example will loving murder your lords in early/mid game so you think, oh i'll get a thane to help! Nope your thane sucks rear end and now you just lost both of them.
You're an idiot if you think a Thane can take Grimgor at any point. No one is saying Thanes are better in a fight than Grimgor. Grimgor can murder the lords and heroes of any faction so complaining that Dwarfs are unique in this vulnerability to Grimgor is absurd and hilarious.

Also most factions in game 2 JUST got to 4 hero types within the past few DLC so its not like Dwarfs only having three hero types is this big deal that is worth bringing up as a big deal. I would like to add that the new Rune magic will help a Thane a lot if they work together. All the game 1 factions still only have 3 hero units, if that. No one is going to be successfully throwing a Skinwolf Werekin, Wight King, or Paladin against Grimgor successfully any time soon, either.

I agree with you that mounts can drastically improve other faction's hero's ability to kill but that does not take away from the fact that a Thane can turn into one of the most stubborn tarpits in the game (without mods affecting either side). So yeah, they cant kill as well but that doesnt make them bad, it just means they have a role; they have limitations, and thats okay.

Lucinice posted:

There has to be a third DLC for the Dwarfs coming in TWW3 right? It feels like a no brainer.
I think all the game 1 factions will get DLC in game 3, 100%. VCounts are now top 3 in needing a tweaking (along with Norsca and WoC, which we both know will get some love with game 3) and VCounts also have content to be added with the parts of the world map that we are getting. Dwarfs have Chaos Dwarfs to either hate or stubbornly ignore so if the Dwarfs dont get some content from that, I wont know what to say.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

I think all the game 1 factions will get DLC in game 3, 100%. VCounts are now top 3 in needing a tweaking (along with Norsca and WoC, which we both know will get some love with game 3) and VCounts also have content to be added with the parts of the world map that we are getting. Dwarfs have Chaos Dwarfs to either hate or stubbornly ignore so if the Dwarfs dont get some content from that, I wont know what to say.

I wonder if Norsca is going to get a DLC or a Dawrf update level tweak. It doesn't feel like they need a full DLC but people keep asking for them to add a new LL so who knows. I could totally see a Kislev vs WoC being the first DLC though.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Arghy posted:

Dawi desperately need more heroes, mods help but there's people suffering through without mods. Thanes need oathstones that basically make them unbreakable and beef them up but they can't move fast when it's popped. The vanilla lords need to have pistol and great weapon variants. They need ranger heroes/lords with multiple weapon variants or an option to choose. Basically gently caress elves because they get all of the above.

You can outfit a LOT of characters with runes and runeforge equipment once you get into the mid-game. Your average dwarf hero is going to be running around with a full set of gear when most other races will have 1 or 2 pieces on their heroes, if that. And yeah, Grimgor hits hard. If you think the appropriate counter is a great weapon lord, why don't you use... the great weapon lord, Grombrindal? Edit: Or the OTHER great weapon lord, Ungrim?

Dwarves can struggle early game - I think everyone would agree there - but it isn't because their lords, heroes, or units aren't strong enough. They have slow growth and their main competitors have the snowballing confederation trait. That's it. Giving every faction every thing isn't going to make the game better or more fun. Citing elves as an example of how dwarves have been screwed over or whatever is silly. Elves and humans are the factions whose "thing" is having everything available. Humans are balanced by being lovely at everything, while elves are balanced by being geographically isolated and cursed to fight nothing but other elves for 200 turns.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 22, 2021

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Eh, we'll see. Three is coming in with seven new factions including the preorder, and then probably a couple more new armies after that as the first few DLCs. I'm not sure if content for the game one factions is really going to be a high priority comparatively

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Lucinice posted:

I wonder if Norsca is going to get a DLC or a Dawrf update level tweak. It doesn't feel like they need a full DLC but people keep asking for them to add a new LL so who knows. I could totally see a Kislev vs WoC being the first DLC though.
Thats a good question. I would love to see them get some love one way or another to bring them up to Beastmen standards so they could actually raze poo poo without it constantly being back-capped, and do something to make Norsca more defensible vs the AI so its not a "invade me for free money by razing all the settlements that have no walls and poo poo garrisons". I really REALLY wanted Skaeggi to get a LL in game 2 and I also wanted VCounts to be playable somewhere on the Vortex map so I guess I'm transferring my hopes to game 3 :v:. I bet WoC get some stuff for free going into game 3 since they are so derelict right now but its hard to say.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Eh, we'll see. Three is coming in with seven new factions including the preorder, and then probably a couple more new armies after that as the first few DLCs. I'm not sure if content for the game one factions is really going to be a high priority comparatively
Thats a really good point, but I have a feeling we will see game 1 factions because by the end of game 2, every faction was spread all around the map. Imrik in the Badlands, Eltharion in the Southlands/Badlands border, Malus south of the badlands, Skaven *everywhere*, Empire and Dawi in Lustria, Lizards in Albion and Naggarond, WE with special trees on every continent, the list goes on. I guess I just have a feeling they will be seeding different factions all over the place to add more variety to the game like we've been seeing in game 2.