Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I've had a couple $50 China specials and never had anything like a broken keycap. It strikes me as a manufacturing / QA issue for one batch rather than merely cheap materials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Got my replacement GMMK Pro. The stabs aren't overlubed this time! It's actually usable out of the box (still probably going to tear it apart though).

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Well, I’ve tried like a thousand things short of desoldering, but I can’t quite seem to get rid of plate ping from my Durgod Fusion. It’s a really fun board, it’s got Bluetooth and wireless, its a unique shape and color, but the ping is real. I’ve tried foam, tape, dampening sponge, but can’t seem to remedy it. I bet if someone desoldered it and used different switches along with foam between the PCB and plate, the pinging would be gone.

Anyone up for a trade? It’s got Cherry Silent Blacks and it’s the gray/black/red model. It’s got some scuffs on the DURGOD plate where the wireless plugin dongle hides from when I’d travel with it in my bag.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
It's probably the switch spring causing the ping tbh. If you don't have through-hole LEDs on you can probably disassemble the switch and lube it without desoldering.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

drat that’s pricy. Any idea if there are designs for 3d printing a case?

Hey friend: here's the design I settled on. Probably gonna augment it with wood wrist rests, but this should get you to a starting position

(let me know if you need me to shoot you the mirrored STLs because for some reason nobody ever does here and it's annoying as hell.)

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I have 4 Durgods from a few years ago and the keycaps are actually kinda nice. I've never had an issue with any of mine.
I'm not suggesting you attempt to reach out to Durgod Customer Support or anything. We all know that is just a waste of time. It's just a really curious problem.

Leopolds are good yeah. Their boards are solid and even their keycaps are pretty nice PBT.

Oh I thought you were being sarcastic.
Well FWIW I think Gearman is incorrect. I don't think you missed the point. I think you're avoiding it because it's not convenient for you.

I have absolutely no problem with accessibility or inclusion and that's kinda the whole point of having the discord; to be able to help people in real time more easily with specific questions. To be MORE ACCESIBLE.
I have no problem with people who just want a better keyboard and might not be into electrical engineering, case and PCB design, switchmodding, or any of that.
I think that people should ABSOLUTELY be able to go to a store and pick out the keycaps they want and have them in their hand that very day without waiting.
I don't think I've ever said to myself "gee I sure do wish these keycaps were MORE" expensive.

I don't know where you get this idea that keysets are "limited release" but that is generally not the case. Almost all group buys are, in fact, unlimited. Anyone can buy as much or as little as they want of a keyset in group buy.
I'm sorry you're mad that you have to wait so long for keycaps. That is yet another consequence of the HOBBYIST space becoming much more popular in such a short period of time. Last year, GMK contracted for 105 custom keycap sets. The year prior it was half that many and in 2018 it was like 20-something sets. They literally cannot keep up with orders, AND are still trying to catch up from the loss of production due to Covid. Despite the staggering increase in interest in custom keycaps, it is still a very tiny fraction of the business that GMK does. This just further illustrates that despite surging interest in the hobby, we are very much a relatively small community and not titans of industry.
Keyboards themselves are usually limited however, and that is just a consequence of someone trying to produce a thing, on their own, with very limited resources, and without the support of major companies. This is still very much a hobbyist space after all. But also, being a hobbyist space, there are a lot of very cool open source projects out there for people who might be interested in striking out on their own to try and produce something themselves.

But none of that is what we are actually talking about, is it? We are talking about theft. We are talking about why it's bad for the community / hobbyists / enthusiasts / and ultimately even the haters such as yourself, for companies to go out and steal the work of creators and profit from it. What incentive is there for someone to create a keyset, if it's going to get stolen/cloned and thrown up on Amazon in a lovely quality knock off set that costs half as much?

I'm a little surprised that you are actually encouraging people to go out and buy sets that are unapologetically lovely rip-offs of other's hard work.
Just... what a weird hill to die on. Advocating for IP theft and counterfeiting. For what? I get the "I want cheap plastic fast and not nice plastic slow" argument, and to an extent I agree, as do many vendors who are taking steps to make inexpensive sets available, in stock and ready to ship. But why go out of your way to specifically encourage people to support counterfeiting?

What if keyset designers were effectively discouraged from designing keysets because of this theft? Then where would these designs come from? If it's so easy to pick colors, then why aren't the rip-off companies out there making their OWN sets instead of stealing ideas from sets that haven't even completed the group buy phase?
Counterfeiting isn't a problem solely of the keyboard community either, so don't think it's just "keyboard elitists" who look down on this lovely practice. But the difference between our hobby and other industries like fashion is that we are a small disjointed amalgamation of people who have a common interest in creating things to type on rather than a consumerist driven industry where the victims of counterfeiting generally profit well enough from their legitimate sales to take action to combat the illegitimate ones. For example: Rolex alone sold $8.5 Billlion worth of merchandise last year. That's more than the entire enthusiast keycap space has ever generated combined since as long as people have been making custom keycaps.

You seem to have a real bone too pick with people who like tinkering with keyboards, and the hobby in general.
If seeing other people feel accomplishment from building and collecting metal rectangles causes you so much grief, then maybe you should just leave.

Wow did you just gatekeep who gets to talk about keyboards? Hahahahahhahahahahhahahaha. That's amazing. Like I don't even do that poo poo when I disagree with people (who are absolutely wrong) about videogames and I'm a tremendous rear end in a top hat.

I don't like industries that abuse their customers (so like all of them). It's either a business and they should offer a competitive product or it's a hobby and they should do it for the sake of the hobby and not some ego stroking. The reason why there's so many keycap designs is because it's easy to do. That's why.

Anyway I got IQUNIX L80 Formula Typing and have decided I don't think I like slanted keyboards it feels weird to me. The Gazzew U4T Boba Switches - 62g I put in it are nice, maybe I should have gone heavier.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 19, 2021

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ringo Star Get posted:

Well, I’ve tried like a thousand things short of desoldering, but I can’t quite seem to get rid of plate ping from my Durgod Fusion. It’s a really fun board, it’s got Bluetooth and wireless, its a unique shape and color, but the ping is real. I’ve tried foam, tape, dampening sponge, but can’t seem to remedy it. I bet if someone desoldered it and used different switches along with foam between the PCB and plate, the pinging would be gone.

Anyone up for a trade? It’s got Cherry Silent Blacks and it’s the gray/black/red model. It’s got some scuffs on the DURGOD plate where the wireless plugin dongle hides from when I’d travel with it in my bag.

I don't want to trade but I'd be happy to mod and/or swap your switches for just the cost if parts for you if you want.
But personally I wouldn't dump any more money into that board.

My guess is that it's probably the springs like Constellation I mentioned, or possibly the leaves. I don't have any personal experience with Cherry silent switches, but literally every other cherry I've had has terrible spring crunch and leaf ping.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Hey friend: here's the design I settled on. Probably gonna augment it with wood wrist rests, but this should get you to a starting position

(let me know if you need me to shoot you the mirrored STLs because for some reason nobody ever does here and it's annoying as hell.)

Oh that looks really sweet and even allows for tenting.

I’d very much appreciate a copy of the mirrored STL. Haven’t messed around with STLs myself yet. I’m sure I’d be able to figure it out but if you have them available I’d be happy to save myself the hassle!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

This thread seems to be getting oddly contentious. If everyone could take a step back and take a deep breath before continuing to post about this topic, it would be greatly appreciated.

Duck and Cover posted:

and I'm a tremendous rear end in a top hat.

Maybe work on that. People don't like interacting with assholes.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I have a drop shift. I like my drop shift. My computer does not like my drop shift. It randomly freezes up and stops responding until I unplug/replug the USB. I’ve done an RMA and have the same problem with the replacement and I’m ready to admit defeat and accept that this is some weird incompatibility.

So I need to replace my drop shift. What is the closest alternative on the market? My shortlist of requirements:

Hotswap (non negotiable. I’m not soldering and I’ve already spent enough on better switches etc.)

1800 layout like the shift is ideal, but I’m willing to go to full size if there are really no good alternatives. I want a numpad. Some minor amount of spacing between the main block and arrow keys/numpad is a must though. The super compact 96%’s feel cramped and weird to me.

Removable USB (this is the main thing steering me away from the GMMK, along with just disliking their whole… vibe, from the name, etc)

And lastly some kind of lighting; doesn’t need to be full per key RGB (though that’s nice I guess), but a little backlighting for typing in the dark is a must for me.

Does my unicorn keyboard exist?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
RK100?

https://smile.amazon.com/RK-ROYAL-KLUDGE-Mechanical-Connectable/dp/B08K912N79/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=rk100&qid=1626717617&sr=8-3

EDIT:
Whoops, sorry, didn't see the didn't want a 96% layout.

Alternative would be something like TKL plus a numpad.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

mariooncrack posted:

Alternative would be something like TKL plus a numpad.

At this point I would rather just go full size. The reason I liked the shift is it cuts an inch or so off the width of the board without giving up the numpad; separate numpad + TKL is… taking up more space than a full size, not less.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

CaptainPsyko posted:

I have a drop shift. I like my drop shift. My computer does not like my drop shift. It randomly freezes up and stops responding until I unplug/replug the USB. I’ve done an RMA and have the same problem with the replacement and I’m ready to admit defeat and accept that this is some weird incompatibility.

So I need to replace my drop shift. What is the closest alternative on the market? My shortlist of requirements:

Hotswap (non negotiable. I’m not soldering and I’ve already spent enough on better switches etc.)

1800 layout like the shift is ideal, but I’m willing to go to full size if there are really no good alternatives. I want a numpad. Some minor amount of spacing between the main block and arrow keys/numpad is a must though. The super compact 96%’s feel cramped and weird to me.

Removable USB (this is the main thing steering me away from the GMMK, along with just disliking their whole… vibe, from the name, etc)

And lastly some kind of lighting; doesn’t need to be full per key RGB (though that’s nice I guess), but a little backlighting for typing in the dark is a must for me.

BM980, but I'm uncertain what the quality is like.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002509519466.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_allProduct.8148356.2.b27d5599KvrT2I

Recent reddit thread about it: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/ojbmbm/kprepublic_bm980_w_boba_u4t_eg_v2_stabs/
With accompanying video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L01jvXTZXY4

edit:
Also, if you spot a board you really like, and it's not hotswap, you can always pay someone to solder mill max sockets to it. Thus making it hotswap.

.Z. fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 19, 2021

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Keychron is the only place I can think of offhand that's gonna get you all those requirements in a full size or TKL board. Most of the enthusiast brands don't deal in pre-built keybs that large and the major brands don't do hotswap.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

CaptainPsyko posted:

Oddball chance, but have you tried using it with a powered USB hub? I've seen issues where built-in USB wasn't providing quite enough juice, leading to your issue there. Much cheaper fix, potentially, too.

I was having similar issues myself using an unpowered KVM, and swapping to a powered version fixed it. USB is stupid.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

The upcoming kbdfans Odin might fit your needs, but the group buy hasn't started yet, and hard to say how long it will take for it to actually be in your hands when all's said and done.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I don't want to trade but I'd be happy to mod and/or swap your switches for just the cost if parts for you if you want.
But personally I wouldn't dump any more money into that board.

My guess is that it's probably the springs like Constellation I mentioned, or possibly the leaves. I don't have any personal experience with Cherry silent switches, but literally every other cherry I've had has terrible spring crunch and leaf ping.

That’s awfully kind of you! I think you’re right, I shouldn’t really dump more money into it. I have a buddy with a soldering kit but he’s got kids and I got a kid so free time to meet up and use it is nearly nil.

I think I’ll just shelf it for display and the occasional use until additional free time comes up and I can get it desoldered to take apart the switches and lube them up, maybe put in some foam between the PCB and plate as well.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Internet Explorer posted:

This thread seems to be getting oddly contentious. If everyone could take a step back and take a deep breath before continuing to post about this topic, it would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe work on that. People don't like interacting with assholes.

Agreed. But, like, we can still post about this topic right?

D&C, I'm not trying to gatekeep discussion about the topic, and I apologize if I came off as offensive.
I actually think it's a very important thing to discuss. It just seemed like you were pretty upset about the state of the keyboard hobby and projecting some things, and not entering the discussion in good faith.
I was just suggesting that if you just wanna argue about how much this hobby sucks and if it really upsets you so much, then maybe you should take a break from posting in this thread about it and go vent your frustrations elsewhere.
Again, if I overstepped, I apologize. Far be it from me to tell you what is healthy for you.

That being said, I think we do share some common ground.
I already mentioned that I would very much like more things in the hobby to be "available to the masses." Probably more so than most people who are not deeply rooted in following community activity and projects. You know what sucks worse than seeing a keyboard you like and not being able to buy it? Following the project for a year, making meaningful contributions to it, promoting it and sharing it, and then come group buy time, either not being able to get one of the limited slots for that keyboard, or not being able to afford that keyset.

I also do not like industries that treat customers poorly, but I don't see how that is relevant to our discussion. Are you insinuating that GMK lead times and product prices are tantamount to customer abuse?
I don't necessarily agree with that verbatim. But I one hundred percent believe that GMK lead times are absolutely hosed (in part by the pandemic, in part by increased community growth, and in very large part by their inability to adapt quickly), and their prices are absurd. Signature Plastics SA is EVEN WORSE!
From what I can tell, part of the issue is that newcomers to the hobby see a lot of GMK sets and either assume or are told that GMK is "the best" and everything else is bad, so they only look to buy GMK sets. This perpetuates the problematic cycle of overloading GMK with sets to produce which increases lead times even further and encourages them to raise prices more as well.
SA is overly expensive for different, but no less problematic reasons. Their production was also greatly affected by covid, but also they have been struggling to recover from a plastics supply shortage.
JTK never really did much in the first place but they were essentially obliterated by the pandemic. I doubt we will see anything significant from them for a while, and I don't think they will even be taking new orders any time soon.
Keyreative, despite it's best intents, has really been dropping the ball, albeit not maliciously. They had very serious QC issues with the 3rd party factories they contracted with, which they are attempting to remedy by bringing production in-house.
This whole process has not gone well, partly because they essentially had to start from scratch, and partly because they seem to be completely inept or disinterested in communicating not only with customers but also with vendors and designers about what is actually happening behind the scenes. I have purchased a number of KAT and KAM sets that I don't think I will even see before 2023. In short, they are loving up real hard.

However, there are other profiles available that do not have as bad of lead times and prices and a lot of community members and designers are starting to make the switch.
DSS is another Signature Plastics profile that seems to be relatively quick to turn around specifically because of the lower interest in it. There are DSS group buys every month that get turned around in a matter of weeks and they're not as expensive as SA sets because they require far less plastic to create.
DCS is another SP profile that unfortunately runs infrequently, but is still excellent quality and doesn't have the same long lead times that GMK is currently experiencing. It's still somewhat expensive though. DCS Delftware ran recently if anyone is looking for an example of this profile.
Hammerworks CRP is similar to DCS in that it is a similar shape to GMK's Cherry Profile. But unlike GMK (and similar to DCS), it is dye subbed PBT, not ABS. It is slightly more affordable generally but also because of the way that it is produced, but also you usually have the option to pick from smaller kits of keys to buy just what you need for a particular layout rather than having to buy a large kit of all the keys and winding up with a lot of unused plastic. CRP Round 4 and CRP C64 are recent examples. I ordered C64 in November and received it in June. So 7 months from clicking 'buy' to it landing on my doorstep, even including delays.
Enjoy PBT is another high quality manufacturer that produces both reverse dye-sub PBT and doubleshot ABS sets and seems to be very successful at getting those productions delivered in around 6 months despite the pandemic and the plastics shortage.
Surprisingly, Geekark has even been up and coming lately. They're working on including 40's support in their offerings so that some of the more compact (non ortholinear) boards can also make use of their profile. PBT Frost is a recent example of a successful GB from them: https://protozoa.studio/pages/pbt-frost $88 got you all the keys. Not a bad deal imo. I think there is real potential for them to fill the gap in the community between price, availability, and layout support. I'm really rooting for them to become more popular, even though at the moment they only offer Dye-sublimated PBT.
Infinikey is not exactly one of my favorite manufacturers but I would be remiss to not mention them. I do own a couple of their sets and while they have had a lot of QC issues, I don't believe it is necessarily due to a lack of their ability so much as it is a mishandling of aspects of the groupbuy by their vendor; TkeKeyCompany. I genuinely want them to do better so that more people can have affordable, good quality keycaps, but they have a long way to go with regards to QC and customer service before they will get my recommendation.
This list is by no means comprehensive and doesn't encompass all the available manufacturers that AREN'T producing knockoff sets, just the ones that I can think of offhand. A few others that I can think of that I won't go into detail about are Vortex, Monstargear, Idobao, Domikey, and most recently Polycaps. None of which, to my knowledge, currently produce knock off sets, but instead create their own colorways. NicePBT also exists but I think there was some kerfuffle with them and Cannonkeys about selling their keysets outside of contract with CK, AFTER CK paid to have them produced.

But where our views diverge is that you seem to be a proponent of making knock off sets. My issue with this point specifically has nothing to do with availability, or accessibility, only that I abhor the theft of others work.
Not to get all "you wouldn't download a car" on you but that really does not jive with my morals. I don't think I should be entitled to any set of keycaps I want just because a company is willing to steal the hard work of a designer just to turn themselves a profit.
As I just mentioned, there are a plethora of manufacturers that make keycaps of non-stolen designs in a range of prices, with varying lead times, some are even carried in stock on vendors websites. Novelkeys, Cannonkeys, KineticLabs, and Drop all have in-stock keycaps. I'd be lying if I said I didn't wish there were more options and for cheaper, but wouldn't you agree that it's better to develop and support a system that rewards the people that create the keycaps you like? Supporting a system whereby all the designs you appreciate are stolen does nothing to encourage anyone to continue to make designs you might like. It's outright theft and not good regardless of whether or not you view this community as an industry OR a hobby.

Duck and Cover posted:

The reason why there's so many keycap designs is because it's easy to do. That's why.
If it's really THAT easy, then why do knock off manufacturers even exist? Why can't they subsist by designing their own colorways?
Hell, why don't they even bother to work with designers to produce their keysets more affordably? It's not like that hasn't been done before.

Duck and Cover posted:

It's either a business and they should offer a competitive product or it's a hobby and they should do it for the sake of the hobby and not some ego stroking.
I don't understand what point you're trying to make here. Commerce within a hobby shouldn't be allowed, or designers don't deserve to be paid or receive notoriety for their work? Who is 'they' in this scenario? The manufacturers, vendors or designers?

CaptainPsyko posted:

That's a tough one, but if you find something that ticks all the boxes please share.
I think you can still get a Cherry G80 but that's not gonna have removable usb.
If you ever get to the point where you want to spend $450 on a board, I think the Rekt1800 might be back in stock again
https://cannonkeys.com/collections/brutalist-series/products/rekt1800-keyboard
All the other boards with a numpad are that weird super compact 96 key like layout.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 19, 2021

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

CaptainPsyko posted:

The Drop keyboards draw an ABSURD amount of power so if you are daisy-chaining or even using a long USB cable, it may disconnect randomly.

Try using a shorter USB cable and plugging it into a powered USB hub / directly into your PC.

If this works, you hopefully don't have to buy a whole new keyboard.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Infinikey is not exactly one of my favorite manufacturers but I would be remiss to not mention them. I do own a couple of their sets and while they have had a lot of QC issues, I don't believe it is necessarily due to a lack of their ability so much as it is a mishandling of aspects of the groupbuy by their vendor; TkeKeyCompany. I genuinely want them to do better so that more people can have affordable, good quality keycaps, but they have a long way to go with regards to QC and customer service before they will get my recommendation.

FWIW, other vendors who have contracted with IFK have had the sets show up perfectly fine and with correct colors. TKC just refuses to do real quality control and their products suffer as a result.

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 19, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Agreed. But, like, we can still post about this topic right?

Yes, sorry I was vague, was on a call. Just also like... consider whether or not it's worth it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

interrodactyl posted:

The Drop keyboards draw an ABSURD amount of power so if you are daisy-chaining or even using a long USB cable, it may disconnect randomly.

Try using a shorter USB cable and plugging it into a powered USB hub / directly into your PC.

If this works, you hopefully don't have to buy a whole new keyboard.

FWIW, other vendors who have contracted with IFK have had the sets show up perfectly fine and with correct colors. TKC just refuses to do real quality control and their products suffer as a result.

Yeah that's kinda what I was getting at. But also TKC did deliver on 808-Boom and that looked pretty great.
There was a slight delay because Langelandia refused to accept the original deskmat and made them redo it. But all in all that set turned out fantastic.

But also TKC bad, so gently caress 'em.

Internet Explorer posted:

Yes, sorry I was vague, was on a call. Just also like... consider whether or not it's worth it.
:thumbsup:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Yeah I’ve tried plugging the drop directly into the PC and have the same issue. It initially occurred when using it plugged into the powered port on my monitor.

What’s funny is, plugged into the same port on said monitor, I have zero issues using the keyboard with my MacBook. It’s just when I’m running the windows PC. It’s weird AF.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

CaptainPsyko posted:

Yeah I’ve tried plugging the drop directly into the PC and have the same issue. It initially occurred when using it plugged into the powered port on my monitor.

What’s funny is, plugged into the same port on said monitor, I have zero issues using the keyboard with my MacBook. It’s just when I’m running the windows PC. It’s weird AF.

Getting a powered USB hub may still be cheaper than trying to get a new keyboard in the specs that you want, so I'd suggest that next.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Are you using the stock cable? I've heard the Drop boards are finicky and like other cables.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

At this point I would rather just go full size. The reason I liked the shift is it cuts an inch or so off the width of the board without giving up the numpad; separate numpad + TKL is… taking up more space than a full size, not less.

Also consider how much you'd need to use the keypad. If you'd be on it all the time then yeah it takes up more space but if it's occasional use you could stow it when you aren't using it and reclaim the space. I was skeptical of this approach with a TKL+keypad but a friend encouraged me to try it and it works for me.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
If it's a custom mech can you just make a numpad layer and use that? You won't even need to move your hands to access the numpad.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Some interesting words from GMK ANDY

GMK_ANDY posted:

While I can absolutely agree that if you want instant gratification you do probably want to look elsewhere. I'd also like to provide a little bit of context.

For starters, Germany is having a much more intense lockdown than than US specifically. COVID has certainly affected our employees and workforce quite hard. Many of our employees live outside of the country as we are near Czechia, and have been unable to cross the border (we are still taking care of them during these times). Despite many beliefs that everything is automated, our process is highly dependent on skilled workers.

It's not like we have done nothing during this past year though. We have build an entirely new production facility and installed brand new machines that have more than tripled out manufacturing capacity from last year. We have also added a 3rd shift to our existing plant and plan on one for the new plant (we are still hiring for all the new positions, it is a very difficult time to find workers in Germany, like many other places in the world currently). All of these additions to our company were made because of this community - one that we are very happy to be engaged with and continue to invest in.

Furthermore we have denied any new vendors for the time being. I know this has been frustrating for some, but we found it necessary. This is because we recognize that we owe our existing clients the fastest delivery possible, even with the current conditions. We are working very hard to get through the current que before we open up the line to new vendors - with the anticipation that once we are caught up and have both facilities fully operational we can get lead times down to 10-14ish weeks even with the massive number of orders we are currently seeing. We are also investing in ways to automate packaging the caps which will also cut down on lead times even further.

Finally, our pricing is what it is. We pay our workers well. When they get stuck outside of work because they are unable to come in due to border lockdowns, sickness, etc, we still pay them and ensure they have a job. We use skilled German labor to produce all of our products. I will not argue that we are a budget option as we aren't outsourcing any of our labor and do take pride in providing good pay, working conditions (also building a new more spacious HQ as our current building is VERY packed).

This information is not being provided to convince you to buy any product from us. If you want instant gratification, I understand that we are not a viable option. This was just some context to show that as a company we do have certain priorities, we do care and invest in this community, and we are always so excited to see what the next projects are. We genuinely love seeing what people come up with and often have internal chats talking about what sets we are looking forward to, or aspects of our own production capabilities that are being pushed by community sets.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/on15xa/gmk_moomin_preorders_are_open/h5su1ch

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Interesting post, surely sheds some light on things we already know but probably forget in day 2 day life. Like getting paid an honest wage for delivering high quality work. Nobody wants to work in Chinese sweat shop conditions themselves but we all want the price tag it provides.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

LochNessMonster posted:

Interesting post, surely sheds some light on things we already know but probably forget in day 2 day life. Like getting paid an honest wage for delivering high quality work. Nobody wants to work in Chinese sweat shop conditions themselves but we all want the price tag it provides.

Yeah I mean "no ethical consumption under capitalism" and all that but it's nice to be reminded that there's actually humans involved in the production side of this hobby. It's not just robots.
That's not to say I agree with GMK on everything, or even most things. But I do appreciate this.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I guess I understand. In order for a small business to pay its workers not just a livable wage but a thriving wage, prices do need to take that into account. A real shame that ordering anything from them takes so long though. That's the biggest part for me. I don't mind paying up for something that's meant to be of premium luxury quality-- the quality is the point. But having to wait so long really leaves a bad taste in my mouth and it's starting to bug me that pretty much every hobby of mine is falling into this system of "pay now and maybe you'll get it in a year or something".

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Framboise posted:

"pay now and maybe you'll get it in a year or something".

This is particularly bad for me and my fickle tastes. I'll think something is pretty cool and get in a group buy or pre-order, and by the time it ships I've stopped wanting it :sweatdrop:

Hoping I still want that Mode SixtyFive in December, lol

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Framboise posted:

I guess I understand. In order for a small business to pay its workers not just a livable wage but a thriving wage, prices do need to take that into account. A real shame that ordering anything from them takes so long though. That's the biggest part for me. I don't mind paying up for something that's meant to be of premium luxury quality-- the quality is the point. But having to wait so long really leaves a bad taste in my mouth and it's starting to bug me that pretty much every hobby of mine is falling into this system of "pay now and maybe you'll get it in a year or something".

oh don't feel bad. Their queue is absolutely hosed and its entirely their own doing.
But I mean as long as people are dumb enough to hand over their money and wait then, why not right?

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

This is particularly bad for me and my fickle tastes. I'll think something is pretty cool and get in a group buy or pre-order, and by the time it ships I've stopped wanting it :sweatdrop:

Hoping I still want that Mode SixtyFive in December, lol

Exactly, who the gently caress knows what you're gonna like in a few months, let alone a year and a half.
Half of my keycap buying strategy is "just buy 40's kits and then try to snag basekit extras when it delivers."

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Just got some of those durock lavenders - they sound great but wow they are heavy, I'm used to reds and clears (45g and 35g), the 65g of these lavenders is some serious resistance compared to that. I assume swapping out the springs will be perfectly fine? I've got a bunch of extra Kailh red's I'm probably never going to use, so I could just steal them out of those.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I fancy building up a tactile switch tester to get a feel for what exists outside of the MX Brown bubble, is there a good list anywhere of the most relevant ones nowadays?

I found this but I don't know how complete it is: https://switchandclick.com/top-5-best-tactile-switches-for-your-mechanical-keyboard/

There's a good store here I can order single switches from but it's pretty overwhelming, they have over 120 different tactiles in stock

repiv fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 22, 2021

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Boba U4T seem like the tactile go to right now. Durock Sunflower POM T1 are supposed to be really good too.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

repiv posted:

I fancy building up a tactile switch tester to get a feel for what exists outside of the MX Brown bubble, is there a good list anywhere of the most relevant ones nowadays?

I found this but I don't know how complete it is: https://switchandclick.com/top-5-best-tactile-switches-for-your-mechanical-keyboard/

There's a good store here I can order single switches from but it's pretty overwhelming, they have over 120 different tactiles in stock

https://github.com/ThereminGoat/switch-scores/blob/master/Composite%20Overall%20Total%20Score%20Sheet.csv

https://github.com/ThereminGoat/switch-scores

ThereminGoat is a very well regarded switch reviewer who takes a lot of different things into account. This hobby is all preference, but it's worth looking at the top few tactile switches in the overall score sheet in the first link and then reading a bit about them in the PDFs for the second.

The switch and click choices are...fine? But their explanations don't make a lot of sense and aren't consistent in explaining what they care about.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Thanks, that looks very useful

down the rabbit hole i go

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Is there a thread standard recommendation for a hotswappable (and ideally programmable) 60/65%? Or I'd be willing to go 40% too if there's something really fun there.

(I'm really enjoying the two boards I have but they're both tough to modify, having Topre and Alps switches respectively, so I figure I might as well get another board focused on max flexibility so I can mess around with switches and keycaps.)

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

repiv posted:

Kimdi-keys also let's you order some singles, this would be my recommendation:

That covers most of the more popular brands and types of tactile switches. My personal recommendation is the Boba U4T for incredibly tactility and quality, the Kailh Polia (clearance sale on NovelKeys) as an excellent budget option, or the Gazzew Boba U4 if you want something quiet but still feels very tactile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Scythe posted:

Is there a thread standard recommendation for a hotswappable (and ideally programmable) 60/65%? Or I'd be willing to go 40% too if there's something really fun there.

(I'm really enjoying the two boards I have but they're both tough to modify, having Topre and Alps switches respectively, so I figure I might as well get another board focused on max flexibility so I can mess around with switches and keycaps.)

Really depends on your budget.

The Tofu is an incredibly popular 65% hotswap board, but it'll run around $200: https://kbdfans.com/collections/65-diy-kit/products/dz68rgb-customize-keyboard-diy-kit?variant=28550375276592

The NK65 is also pretty popular at sub-$200, though the Tofu would be my first choice: https://novelkeys.xyz/collections/keyboards/products/nk65-v2-aluminum-edition?variant=34917914706087

There's also the Drop Alt that you can get barebones for $160, though I'd recommend paying the extra if you can to get the Tofu or NK65: https://www.amazon.com/Massdrop-ALT-Mechanical-Keyboard-Programmable/dp/B083TP3TDB/

The Keychron K6 also has a hotswap option and it's around $70: https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-k6-wireless-mechanical-keyboard?variant=31441088315481