Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Vince MechMahon posted:

Everything related to child birth is dark. The ripping and tearing. The fluids. The fact that you're bringing another disgusting human being into this doomed Earth to do either nothing but suffer or cause suffering. It's a bad scene all around and it should be abolished, IMHO.

fr

I hope the album is nothing like the trailer tho because it sounds like more rehashed poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Not gonna probe this but I am doing the largest jerkoff motion imaginable.

I thought it was pretty clearly exaggerated to the point no reasonable person could take it seriously. It literally started with a reference to Doom. Poe's Law I guess.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 19, 2021

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Vince MechMahon posted:

I thought it was pretty clearly exaggerated to the point no reasonable person could take it seriously. It literally started with a reference to Doom. Poe's Law I guess.

Color me shocked that a mod hates jokes about there being fewer children around

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CaptainViolence posted:

:drat:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

CaptainViolence posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lmfao

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Free him.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah 24 hours for a harmless joke is a bit much dude.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
“Hehehe mods are pedos” is an extraordinarily tiresome and lovely kind of post that I’m not interested in tolerating. A one day is fine, he’ll be okay.

The original r/childfree rear end post was reported, but it didn’t seem worthy of an action, so I made fun of it. Now you have mod transparency and can go back to posting about NIN.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ADD SUBTRACT VIOLENCE

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
anyway, saw this floating around /r/nin earlier:

https://twitter.com/nin_my_nothing/status/1417161213742624772

it's kind of a bummer that the Everything video never got released, and looking back at it i don't think the song itself deserved all the fan hate. it actually really has grown on me over time - imo the only bit that's kinda dragging it down is the two-chord repeating bit in pre-chorus that's just a tad too corny lol

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

nurmie posted:

imo the only bit that's kinda dragging it down is the two-chord repeating bit in pre-chorus that's just a tad too corny lol

hesitation marks in a nutshell

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

STONE COLD 64 posted:

ADD SUBTRACT VIOLENCE

lol worth it

nurmie posted:

anyway, saw this floating around /r/nin earlier:

https://twitter.com/nin_my_nothing/status/1417161213742624772

it's kind of a bummer that the Everything video never got released, and looking back at it i don't think the song itself deserved all the fan hate. it actually really has grown on me over time - imo the only bit that's kinda dragging it down is the two-chord repeating bit in pre-chorus that's just a tad too corny lol

:aaa: there was an Everything video??? i mean, i knew it got cancelled, but i didn't realize that it got as far as production. did the footage get released raw like the Lights In the Sky shows? i would love to see that, i was always bummed at how bad a reception that song got

jaylynne
Nov 7, 2005
putting the fun in dysfunctional
Everything is my favorite song to run to. Start out at a nice pace, then the chorus hits and it’s SPRINT TIME.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'll admit that I thought Everything was pretty dumb when I first heard it. It's grown on me a lot, though.

But I still find this hilarious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaWe_4AaH8Y

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i think that video is probably part of what helped me enjoy the song because i also was not on board the first time i heard it. but much like the meathead video for Discipline or whoever had the I GOT MY ARMS A FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP FLIP avatar here, i realized that i enjoy the silly NIN stuff as much as the super serious stuff because that line is very, very blurry.

i also loved the Miley Cyrus covers from Black Mirror, too, although i can't remember how those were recieved.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
i honestly never had an issues with the "flip flop flip" lyric - that whole song is kind of self-deprecating and sarcastic in tone, so it always felt, i dunno, appropriate?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
it's a reference to this song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91KBuWqxE7g

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I love dumb trent lyrics chat. There’s some corny stuff for sure but imo nothing tops phm’s grey would be the color if i had a heart, the devil wants to gently caress me in the back of his car, after you taught me how to kiss… you?

jaylynne
Nov 7, 2005
Randomly inserting “rain rain, go away” is pretty corny, but “taught me how to kiss…you” remains number one in my heart

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

jaylynne posted:

Randomly inserting “rain rain, go away” is pretty corny

holy gently caress i forgot that one

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

polyester concept posted:

I love dumb trent lyrics chat. There’s some corny stuff for sure but imo nothing tops phm’s grey would be the color if i had a heart, the devil wants to gently caress me in the back of his car, after you taught me how to kiss… you?

"Now I'm slipping on the tears you made me cry" still gets a chuckle out of me. PHM is loaded with these kinds of lines now that I think about it.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

cross my heart, i'll hope to die

but the needle's already in my eye

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

nurmie posted:

i honestly never had an issues with the "flip flop flip" lyric - that whole song is kind of self-deprecating and sarcastic in tone, so it always felt, i dunno, appropriate?

i think that's exactly what i enjoy, honestly. like, yeah, some NIN lyrics are goofy when you think of them devoid of context, but within a song they help build a particular texture. i can't imagine that song without the flip flop flip lyrics, but i know some people who hate them even knowing they're a reference to the pere ubu song. it's ridiculous and i will never not yell along to it when the song comes on in the car

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

yeah the flip flop isnt bad

i even love the with-uh teeth-uh inflection or whatever you'd call it

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Flip flop flip doesn't seem out of place to me in any way, it does make for a good meme though

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

cross my heart, i'll hope to die

but the needle's already in my eye

Yeah this is mine
I never could get into "Down In It"
The drums are cool I guess, and the weird chimey sound

Also
Hey pig piggy pig pig pig

And the first verse of The Collector is pretty bad but the song as a whole owns

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Doesn't Trent think down in it is super cheesy and hates it? I remember that being the story for a while.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Doesn't Trent think down in it is super cheesy and hates it? I remember that being the story for a while.

What's cheesy about this?
https://youtu.be/whVtrLrTWwE

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Always go back to this performance of Down In It. So good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkphW38WyYo

jaylynne
Nov 7, 2005
Another one that gets me every time is the beginning of All Time Low. “This-par-tic-u-lar-scen-ar-i-oooooo.”

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Macrame_God posted:

"Now I'm slipping on the tears you made me cry" still gets a chuckle out of me. PHM is loaded with these kinds of lines now that I think about it.

Yeah that's the one that gets me.
If he changed it to "drowning in the tears you made me cry" it would be still be bad, but would just be bad "high schooler emo kid got dumped" lyrics, but "slipping" just makes the poor kid a total klutz too.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

jaylynne posted:

Another one that gets me every time is the beginning of All Time Low. “This-par-tic-u-lar-scen-ar-i-oooooo.”

I love this song. The bassline especially.

I also love the final fantasy Esque interlude in the ending. So good

Percy Teatwillow
Jan 9, 2006

let us go out this evening for pleasure, for the night is still young

The REAL Goobusters posted:

It really is one of the best NIN songs, Hesitation Marks as a whole should have gotten more love than it did. That last run of I Would For You -> Black Noise is just immaculate.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I still snort and roll my eyes every time I remember he named an album hesitation marks lol

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I kinda like the title as a pun of him being afraid/unsure to make new NIN tracks after taking all that time off. Came back haunted an even more explicit reference

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I dunno why this song didn't grab me when the EP came out, but I am kinda feeling like it's one of NIN's best songs in a long long time. but holy gently caress it's already 5 years old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvyywDE67tY

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

I dunno why this song didn't grab me when the EP came out, but I am kinda feeling like it's one of NIN's best songs in a long long time. but holy gently caress it's already 5 years old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvyywDE67tY

yeah it's got that gleeful "gently caress everything let it all fuckin burn" energy that i really dig. it's probably my favourite song from the EP trilogy

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I remember seeing a rehearsal of All Time Low a few years back with a horn section and backup singers. poo poo was funky.

jaylynne
Nov 7, 2005

Macrame_God posted:

I remember seeing a rehearsal of All Time Low a few years back with a horn section and backup singers. poo poo was funky.

Yessss, this song was amazing with the backup singers, also Copy of A is better live than the album version imo. I love watching the video of the first time it was played at Fuji fest, because you can pinpoint the exact second in the chorus that the crowd realizes that it’s loving amazing and starts to roar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

And the first verse of The Collector is pretty bad but the song as a whole owns
A lot of NIN lyrics range from good to great, but there are two distinct types of bad NIN lyrics: The corny trite kind on stuff like PHM, and the vague not-really-about-anything lyrics on Hesitation Marks and in The Collector. Like when you have nothing to write but you know you need words there, so every noun is "thing" or "something", or lazy rhymes like hey/day/way/stay.

Various Methods of Escape is a really cool song though. I think for HM he just had more ideas for music than he had ideas for words, which is odd because he's never shied away from instrumentals.