Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

I work downtown and would walk to work every morning and home every evening through some of the "worst" parts of Victoria. I guess I'm lucky because other than really depressing and sad sights of extremely visible homelessness, (and even then they would mostly tuck themselves in corners out of sight) I never really saw anything dangerous. But there's always some suburban dad on reddit posting daily poo poo like: "Tried to go downtown today but while I was looking for parking a homeless person attacked our car and smashed the window" "Had to go downtown to deal with the insurance claim from the last time I was downtown and a gang of homeless people set my car on fire. I tried to file a police report but the desk sergeant told me confidentially that due to Mayor Lisa Helps they basically can't prosecute any homeless person for any crimes" "Hopefully the last time I'll ever have to go downtown, I was minding my own business when a group of homeless people start shooting at me with zip guns made from stolen bike frames. When a reporter asked me about the weapons and I said they were made from stolen bike parts I was SHAMED for assuming the parts were stolen just because they were made by houseless people"

and then there will be 20 replies of similar people all agreeing such things happen to them almost every time they go downtown and how every business owner they know is trying to sell and leave Victoria because between bike lanes and homeless people business is dead.

It's always people from Langford who can't afford to live in Victoria making those comments lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Meth is contaminating the landscape to the point where fish are getting addicted to it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

so what you're saying is if i put a bunch of meth in the pool, and let the fish swim in it, i can smuggle drugs in the fish meat?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

so what you're saying is if i put a bunch of meth in the pool, and let the fish swim in it, i can smuggle drugs in the fish meat?

Buddy, you can definitely smoke fish

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

EvilJoven posted:

Meth is contaminating the landscape to the point where fish are getting addicted to it.

I do not think that article says what you think it says.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The text of this article which is the first one I read but didn't link inferred that the levels of meth used in the study were the same levels found in some waterways and that if the behaviour found in their study may be found in the natural environment.

So ya you're right they haven't proven that fish in the wild are getting addicted to meth, just that fish can become addicted to meth at levels currently found in waterways.

I guess we'll find out if fish start stealing bicycles tearing them apart and selling them on FB marketplace with mismatched components that don't work together.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 22, 2021

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ZeeBoi posted:

No, it’s totally like how when a gas station gets torn down you can’t develop on that land until all traces of gasoline have been cleaned up. :v:

Speaking of which, I was recently at Upper Canada Village (a quasi-faithful reconstruction of a hypothetical 1860s Ontario town, much like Black Creek Pioneer Village in Toronto) and they have some stained glass windows from the former mansion of JP Wiser (of lovely whiskey fame), an ornate gazillion-dollar house with carved wood-panelled rooms and all kinds of poo poo that you'll just have to imagine because it was demolished in the 1950s to make room for... a gas station.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Is there any credibility to there being an election this fall or is the news media just trying to kill some time and drum up a story?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
We should get the fish addicted to coffee and cigarettes so they can make useful contributions.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

Is there any credibility to there being an election this fall or is the news media just trying to kill some time and drum up a story?

it's pretty much guaranteed, the liberals are doing tons and tons of election-style funding announcements, they've been handling their bills like campaign planks for the next election, et cetera.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ZShakespeare posted:

We should get the fish addicted to coffee and cigarettes so they can make useful contributions.

It worked for Zappa!

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Arivia posted:

it's pretty much guaranteed, the liberals are doing tons and tons of election-style funding announcements, they've been handling their bills like campaign planks for the next election, et cetera.

Guess I'll send Jagmeet some money.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Starks posted:

It’s so bizarre. There are so many posts about needles in Trinity Bellwoods. One poster said that they “sat down on a bench to comfort their crying baby” and saw 6 needles scattered around them. Another said that the city recently had to test the soil for narcotic levels.

I lived close by for like 6 years (moved recently) and had never even seen a needle in the park. Always felt safe. I know lots of people in the area with kids that take them there. It’s like Redditors are living in a different reality.
I don't get why people are so freaked out about needles. HIV is a very fragile virus; unless you get a poke with a "hot" needle I.e. one that has just been in someone else it's probably impossible to get HIV. Seriously, there's never been a documented case of a cold needle transmitting HIV. One case of hep C. Literally the worst you will get is a mild poke. Chill the gently caress out, Reddit.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Apparently there's talk of people blockading the roads to Investor's Group field for Blue Bombers games because they're requiring double vaccination to attend. First Nations protesting because of things like genocide is nothing compared to my right to watch some beefy dudes toss a football around in person while paying for overpriced beer without being vaccinated.

I really hope they go through with it because it'd be amazing. Everyone I know who goes bikes or walks to the field anyways since there's like no parking closeby but instead there's a lot of active transportation there.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Kraftwerk posted:

The NDP certainly believe there is going to be. They've been busily organizing even in the non-competitive ridings, I stopped paying attention when summer started but last I heard they were def expecting a fall election.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Political market research is also picking up in expectation of an election. It's happening.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Trudeau sees this as his one shot to get his majority back so of course he's going to take it because O'Toole is melting before our eyes and is somehow an even worse Conservative leader than Andrew Scheer was. At this point it's only a question of who's gonna eat more of O'Toole's lunch, Trudeau or Singh.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

I guess there's no chance we can put these neoliberal shitstains on trial for murder if say, a crane was to collapse during a period of no enforcement?

Nah, being rich means never having to say you're responsible.

Excuse me while I get twitchy thinking about untrained, unlicensed crane operators.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

nine-gear crow posted:

. At this point it's only a question of who's gonna eat more of O'Toole's lunch, Trudeau or Singh.

And this I think is absolutely the relevant question. O'Toole obviously can't attract any more than the hardest core Tory voters, and so it's going to come down to whether NDP voters vote for Jagmeet cause they like him, or Trudeau because they're scared of O'Toole. Personally I suspect it'll be the former and we'll be right back where we started come November.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Well, im seeing us suddenly start shipping Elections Canada parcels en masse again. Seems a warning.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Albino Squirrel posted:

I don't get why people are so freaked out about needles. HIV is a very fragile virus; unless you get a poke with a "hot" needle I.e. one that has just been in someone else it's probably impossible to get HIV. Seriously, there's never been a documented case of a cold needle transmitting HIV. One case of hep C. Literally the worst you will get is a mild poke. Chill the gently caress out, Reddit.

lol cmon man

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Albino Squirrel posted:

And how is someone supposed to know whether a needle is hot or cold without stepping on it?

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

PT6A posted:

It's entirely ridiculous to compare Doug Ford, who speaks exactly one language, to Mary Simon, who speaks two languages, one of which is a language spoken in the territory now known as Canada well before some pale fuckin' settlers decided to step foot anywhere near it; a language which has endured, despite attempts to commit cultural genocide by those same settlers.

This is not an English/French issue. This is about the persistent devaluing of the First Nations and their cultures and languages, right now being done primarily by one specific language group in Canada.

Yikes man, it's pretty out of line to lay that primarily on francophones. The devaluing and attacks have been consistent across all parts of Canadian society and from many different vectors.
It's a pretty outrageous statement to make.

Oxyclean posted:

There's definitely pockets of ACAB, but its a bit more of specific subreddit thing. The Ottawa sub definitely has some of that, but then also has a lot of vocal crazies and/or gets regularly brigaded.

I've seen sporadic crazy stuff relating to hate against indigenous peoples pop up every now and then which seemed brigade style, and it really ramped up around Canada Day.
But it's highly consistent across every big city subreddit that you're going to get shouted down if you try to advocate for actual effective help for the homeless and addicted, or that the police need to be defunded and highly restricted as to when they're dispatched.
There was some modular housing, in Vancouver I believe, set aside to get homeless people off the street and treatment. It's not nearly enough but it's effective in its own small way. But somebody posted a photo/video of one of the tenants breaking a window (in the tenants own unit). That was enough for the comments to fill up with rhetoric against homeless people, that the government should never give out free housing ever again, that they should just let the overdose epidemic "take care of itself" and so on.

These assholes will go on complaining about crime from homeless people and addicts when the solution is right in front of their faces. If you treat homelessness and addiction effectively then surprise! the crime rate goes down.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

https://twitter.com/vancolour/status/1418054854916788229

Now here's Kim Campbell with an important announcement about who can be PM

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
"I wish this public space didn't have needles scattered about."

"LOL you pussy it's just a little prick and you probably won't catch anything."

Lots of interesting takes in this here thread.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 22, 2021

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

https://www.ledevoir.com/economie/619737/technologie-l-internet-residentiel-coutera-plus-cher-a-partir-du-mois-prochain

CRTC ruling expected to raise internet prices by around 10-20$, starting next month.

If we're going to pay the highest price on earth, may as well shoot for the moon I guess.

EvilJoven posted:

"I wish this public space didn't have needles scattered about."

"LOL you pussy it's just a little prick and you probably won't catch anything."

Lots of interesting takes in this here thread.

I'm half expecting this thread to declare used needles in parks a goodthing™ as if it was impossible to worry about needles without asking for addicts to be rounded up.

Gros Tarla fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 22, 2021

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Someone can be opposed to one thing while also wanting better things for everyone but that's lost on a lot of people. I've seen people literally miss work because some shithead stole the wheels off their bike and they can't afford the cost to replace them or lament that they don't feel safe to go to the only park they can afford to take their kids to because they aren't privileged enough to be able to be able to get to the good parks in the nicer (aka more affluent) parts of town but hey guess if you aren't OK with tent cities popping up wherever you're just a chud.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

Someone can be opposed to one thing while also wanting better things for everyone but that's lost on a lot of people. I've seen people literally miss work because some shithead stole the wheels off their bike and they can't afford the cost to replace them or lament that they don't feel safe to go to the only park they can afford to take their kids to because they aren't privileged enough to be able to be able to get to the good parks in the nicer (aka more affluent) parts of town but hey guess if you aren't OK with tent cities popping up wherever you're just a chud.

Yeah, I spent a huge chunk of my life in one of the poorest neighborhood in the country. Being able to enjoy parks and alleys as a kid without worrying about needles is privilege. Please don't ridicule people worrying about it.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Fwiw I live in an affluent part of Toronto and there's needles and used crack stems in our parks too. I've personally found 3-4 needles (with their loving caps right next to them on the ground too CMON) once in the park and a crack stem in the schoolyard while I was waiting to pick up my kids at 3pm.

There's a problem and it makes me angry because people in my area see it as an excuse to argue for shutting down needle exchanges and safe injection sites, two things that are vitally important.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

The particular encampments that triggered this discussed are like right next to me, I walk past it frequently and people are just loving making bullshit up about it out of some reflexive need to do vice signalling.

The only argument I'd allow is that the park was too small to be usable as a park with people living there, but that'd bring up uncomfortable questions about the government's housing policy that enough people have been driven to homelessness that they're starting to clog up public spaces on a large enough scale. And in this specific case there's no shortage of other (larger even!) parks to go to, and lakeshore is very close by (with beaches, bike trails, and even more parks).

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Yeah I think the problem is when people see encampments and go "these things are unsightly, so better to sweep it under the rug where I don't have to see it"; advocates and homeless people have long been advocating for injection sites, affordable housing, more shelters, etc. and largely been ignored over the past few decades, so the encampments and needles lying around are the result of not taking action sooner. Get this: clearing out encampments is not going to get rid of drugs or homelessness.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Tippecanoe posted:

Get this: clearing out encampments is not going to get rid of drugs or homelessness.

It doesn't clear out the encampments either, it just moves them.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

nine-gear crow posted:

Trudeau sees this as his one shot to get his majority back so of course he's going to take it because O'Toole is melting before our eyes and is somehow an even worse Conservative leader than Andrew Scheer was. At this point it's only a question of who's gonna eat more of O'Toole's lunch, Trudeau or Singh.

There was an interesting discussion on CanPol twitter the other day about how Scheer actually might have not been that bad. Everyone was focused on the fact that they didn't "win" but reducing the Liberals to minority status after a single majority term while winning the popular vote was a pretty good accomplishment. Harper got 3 cracks to win his majority and Scheer got turfed after 1. Not that I'm complaining, the Conservatives can suck it, but it's interesting to look at it from a different angle.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tippecanoe posted:

Yeah I think the problem is when people see encampments and go "these things are unsightly, so better to sweep it under the rug where I don't have to see it"; advocates and homeless people have long been advocating for injection sites, affordable housing, more shelters, etc. and largely been ignored over the past few decades, so the encampments and needles lying around are the result of not taking action sooner. Get this: clearing out encampments is not going to get rid of drugs or homelessness.

They're more than just unsightly, they're public health and safety nightmares. Cramped, filled with trash and excrement and are just waiting to go up in a blaze. At least the few I've come across-- they're not common where I am, and the few that exist are recent occurrences. Frankly the encampments don't seem very good for the people living in them, nor anyone else.

I agree though that they can't just be swept under the rug. Lack of affordable housing is a serious issue that is unlikely to improve any time soon. And for those that are messed up due to substance/mental health issues, they don't disappear if they're out of sight, they'll need help wherever they end up.

There was a small encampment fairly close to where I live a few months ago. I meant to take a walk down to that park and just sit there for a while, to observe the place and people and maybe strike up a conversation with someone that actually lived there. The police moved in before I got the chance however.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
We see camp's burn here all the time. They also very quickly fill with trash and hazards. The bigger the camp's get the more thefts assaults and arsons happen in the area.

The larger problem is when the only options people are given when it's their neighborhood are bad ones. Currently the only two available options seem to be 'do the chud thing and bulldoze the camp' or 'not do anything meaningful to fix the problem and just go somewhere else to use public green spaces'. People are eventually going to tell you to gently caress off and go with the bulldozer option even though it isn't a good long term solution if that's all that's available, because at least then the camp might relocate out of the neighborhood they don't have the resources to move away from.

Screaming at people for choosing the bad option while doing nothing to provide an actual good option just makes you a privileged wokescold Liberal, imo.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 22, 2021

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

In Victoria they cleared out the park camping but only after they had managed to secure shelter for everyone homeless (this did not go down well with the usual brigade of 'mah taxes!')

Unfortunately a lot of these people are severely mentally ill / have massive substance abuse issues, so you can't just give them a place and call it good, you need to give them 24/7 support

It looks like work is being done on that too however

https://www.saanichnews.com/news/more-supportive-housing-on-the-horizon-for-victoria/

EvilJoven posted:

We see camp's burn here all the time. They also very quickly fill with trash and hazards. The bigger the camp's get the more thefts assaults and arsons happen in the area.

The homeless population includes a lot of vulnerable people, and that attracts predators as well.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

The number of fires in encampments has been greatly exaggerated (but for what purpose?? how mysterious): https://factchecktoronto.ca/2021/06/07/encampment-fires/

The city also has not complied with recommendations from the Ontario chief coroner to provide fire-retardant tents and blankets and safe camping stoves to encampments: https://www.mcscs.jus.gov.on.ca/english/Deathinvestigations/Inquests/Verdictsandrecommendations/OCCInquestFaulkner2018.html

EvilJoven posted:

Screaming at people for choosing the bad option while doing nothing to provide an actual good option just makes you a privileged wokescold Liberal, imo.
Again, advocates have been asking the city for years to improve the conditions of shelters and access to affordable housing:
https://tdin.ca/announcement.php?id=2355
The city just ignores it. Advocates and homeless people want actual good options, it's the city and NextDoor creepazoids who want bulldozers.

Also important, but as mentioned earlier, bulldozing encampments changes literally nothing; they just pop up somewhere else.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

At least in Toronto, these encampments aren't really in poor neighbourhoods. They're mostly in gentrifying or recently gentrified downtown areas where housing is unaffordable but that still have the infrastructure in place to support the unhoused and addicted: shelters, needle exchange, soup kitchens, detox centres, etc. There are no tents in Jane and Finch or Galloway; that's exactly why there's so much urgency and outrage over them. Even in Moss Park, which is still low income on paper, homes are selling for 1M+. The developers and property owners know that taking out the encampments won't get rid of the unhoused, the ultimate goal is to get those services and amenities shut down or moved to lower property value areas. Which, ironically, is why those amenities were put in these neighbourhoods when they were first built. It's all part of a cycle that increases income inequality and reduces social services for the vulnerable.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

mila kunis posted:

Lmao bellwoods is like yuppie central, the biggest litterers in bellwoods were always the kids who come in on the weekend. I don't know if these reddit posts are right wing fantasists or anti-homeless astrotufers from property developers or something

It was the same sort of thing on /r/vancouver when there was the homeless camp in Strathcona Park in Vancouver. So so so many stories of "needles everywhere", of unlikely reports of crime and violence, alongside thinly veiled calls for the homeless to be sent "somewhere else", be vaguely gotten rid of. You'd occasionally read outright calls for the homeless to be killed en masse before the mods would delete the post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Chicken posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/playground-planned-for-former-victoria-tent-city-site-1.3833185

Apparently when the homeless camp in Victoria was cleaned up a few years ago they removed most of the soil in the park due to contamination from drugs, fuel spills, and human waste. The above article is the best I could find and I suspect the drugs were the least of the worries there but I don't know for sure. They also turned it into a playground which might have lower tolerance for contamination than if it was going to be something else.

Adding a playground over a former homeless camp may be a bit of clever park programming to dissuade another homeless camp, akin to putting arm rests on a park bench.

I've noticed they've removed soil at Vancouver's Strathcona park as well, but only in the area with the highest concentration of campers. The other areas the park board turned around and re-opened very quickly after just a bit of reseeding. In the areas of dense camping I can't imagine there's any grass left and the ground is probably hard packed (and yeah probably full of bits of litter). Pragmatic landscaping decision here is probably yeah to take away the top layer of dirt and bring in rolls of grass sod rather than try to reseed stuff.