Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Thoguh posted:

COVID killed a lot of people but not a number that would explain what's going on with the labor market. I understand why people are loving off from food service but my question is where are they going instead.

DC area is so weird right now. Traffic is at pre-pandemic levels, but also no one can hire enough employees??? and also most government and contractor jobs are still WFH.. So, does this mean that traffic will become even more insane next year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Owned.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1418201599680253953

what a cool guy.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

total human extinction would qualify as peace. what a visionary.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

honestly he’s so profoundly stupid that it’s enviable. chuggin some kombucha, meditating on a mountain, contemplating how btc might rid the world of all evils. beautiful

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Not a Children posted:

It turns out that when you cut labor/capex costs to "maximize efficiency" and "efficiency" is defined as "money to the C-suite" your whole fuckin operation goes to hell p fast once you need that labor or capacity back

But the C-suite gets all the way those bucks because they work that much harder than the other employees. They should be able to easily do the labor themselves.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

are a bunch of websites down (Steam, fidelity,UPS etc). is the end happening now?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Mike the TV posted:

DC area is so weird right now. Traffic is at pre-pandemic levels, but also no one can hire enough employees??? and also most government and contractor jobs are still WFH.. So, does this mean that traffic will become even more insane next year?

everyone who left foodservice and retail now works as a rideshare driver or food delivery servant. the future of work is driving sandwiches to work from home yuppies 10 hours a day

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

ughhhh posted:

are a bunch of websites down (Steam, fidelity,UPS etc). is the end happening now?

I'm in banking and there's an email in my inbox saying several services are down but isn't mentioning which ones

Edit: just got a follow up email, it's FIS

Lacrosse has issued a correction as of 17:18 on Jul 22, 2021

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I think a lot of people are probably dropping out of the job market cause there's no way to afford anything anymore and it's not worth it to go to work for a pittance that doesn't or barely covers rent.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Lacrosse posted:

I'm in banking and there's an email in my inbox saying several services are down but isn't mentioning which ones

My bank is throwing a DNS error, so I guess this explains why.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lacrosse posted:

But the C-suite gets all the way those bucks because they work that much harder than the other employees. They should be able to easily do the labor themselves.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
https://mobile.twitter.com/Reuters/status/1417945013498044419

This seems bad

Maybe ban Bitcoin or something :shrug:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lacrosse posted:

my bank does not work online as well. fingers crossed everyone, this is it the end of money!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bitcoin isn't putting even a tiny dent in the chip shortage. Automotive is the biggest cause of the chip shortage right now.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Automotive chip shortage is caused by them being stupid fucks who don't understand how to run a business. "Surely my suppliers will let me jump the line after I broke my contract with them."

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Relevant Tangent posted:

Automotive chip shortage is caused by them being stupid fucks who don't understand how to run a business. "Surely my suppliers will let me jump the line after I broke my contract with them."

they are used to being able to bully their suppliers since the suppliers depend entirely on the automakers.

doesn't work too well when your business is a tiny percentage of the supplier's business

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

https://twitter.com/howieweiner/status/1418239714323206144?s=21

some DNS thing is busted

I know this bc I got a Taco Bell notification a few hours ago about a free taco, went to look, and was greeted with an error page. you guys look at your bank accounts?

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

wolfs posted:

some DNS thing is busted

I know this bc I got a Taco Bell notification a few hours ago about a free taco, went to look, and was greeted with an error page. you guys look at your bank accounts?

Sir, Fortnite just went down

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

wolfs posted:

some DNS thing is busted

I'm within earshot of the customer service center and every call is just customers reporting the online banking is down. The call rep can still pull up account info though so they can still tell you things like your balance over the phone.

Even though I work for a bank, I don't bank with them. I just checked my credit union account and it came right up so they must be on another system.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Relevant Tangent posted:

They lowered their orders on the expectation of lower sales. The chip manufacturers reduced their production on the expectation of lower sales. Now there aren't enough.

JIT stupidity does not allow for forward thinking and can't cope with disruptions at all lol

:capitalism:

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

oh hey, my credit union’s website is fine too. cool.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

hey guys what's another name for a stock?

a gammon stake

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

GoLambo posted:

clearly they've just bootstrapped themselves into better paying work

They read mirthless posts

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Spatial posted:

They lowered their orders on the expectation of lower sales. The chip manufacturers reduced their production on the expectation of lower sales. Now there aren't enough.

JIT stupidity does not allow for forward thinking and can't cope with disruptions at all lol

:capitalism:

The chipmakers were right to respond the way they did the automotive industry was wrong. Either everyone dies or people will need at least as many cars as they did before the pandemic. Meanwhile the chipmakers kept making chips and the industries that weren't stupid kept up their demand.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1418245173268598791

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

oh poo poo oh poo poo oh sh... nvm

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Relevant Tangent posted:

The chipmakers were right to respond the way they did the automotive industry was wrong. Either everyone dies or people will need at least as many cars as they did before the pandemic. Meanwhile the chipmakers kept making chips and the industries that weren't stupid kept up their demand.

Maybe less electronics in new cars would be a good thing. Less expensive, hard to fix poo poo to break. Also I'm convinced that driver assist braking is making worse drivers. I was in a car with my buddy driving his brand new crosstrek and kept trying to look at the scenery instead of the road. We nearly rear-ended someone at a stop light but the car stopped us in time and he's all "see, it's doing its job!"

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/Fxhedgers/status/1418255056269316097

wtf? aliens?

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Thoguh posted:

COVID killed a lot of people but not a number that would explain what's going on with the labor market. I understand why people are loving off from food service but my question is where are they going instead.

do the restrictions on international travel have anything to do with it? I have no idea if h-1bs, student visas, and the like were curtailed and if so how much.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Alas if only I was in the US to do crimes and looting

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Thoguh posted:

I'd there any data on where all these people are going? Some are leaving the active labor pool but the rest have to be going somewhere. Are they all just becoming GrubHub drivers?

graves and the streets one assumes

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1418245067635101704

holy loving gently caress this is bad.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Nah. It is already fixed. It was the dns thing.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Gonna do all my insider trading while the SEC is off the net.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Torpor posted:

do the restrictions on international travel have anything to do with it? I have no idea if h-1bs, student visas, and the like were curtailed and if so how much.

beyond legal migrant workers there's also the colossally stupid gestapo ice/cbp raids targeting undocumented workers who were doing the jobs nobody else would willingly accept, for criminally-low wages

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

silentsnack posted:

beyond legal migrant workers there's also the colossally stupid gestapo ice/cbp raids targeting undocumented workers who were doing the jobs nobody else would willingly accept, for criminally-low wages

yeah in the old days they'd coordinate with the employers to do the raids after the harvest but before the workers got paid. Or if they suspected that the workers would be asking for a raise or something egregious like that.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
we'll just expand incarceration rates and prison labor some more. slaves aren't just for wildfires these days!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

Nah. It is already fixed. It was the dns thing.

Yeah just got an update that the FIS outage is resolved