Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Stealth Tiger posted:

This thread moves way too fast, but I want to post about feeling lukewarm about the pinnacle vs inner circle feud. And I am the same way, and it is because I cannot view Jericho as a face at all. It's not even some thing about his politics or anything, any time he's on TV I just ask the TV why he isn't acting like a jackass. I feel kind of bad because this guy has entertained me for decades, and plenty of the live crowd is giving him his due on this retirement tour of his, but face Jericho does absolutely nothing for me.

This isn't WWE twitter, you don't have to like everything AEW does. I'm enjoying the 5 labors thing, although I think MJF needs to give the "putting up a wall to face me" thing a break after this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

theres a lot of stuff every episode that i dont like. either due to my weird standards or just personal taste. but it’s so much more fun to post about what i like and enjoy about it so thats why i dont really worry about the bad crap

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

Guillermus posted:

I have this theory... call me crazy but I think Christopher Daniels will suddenly appear to make the Bucks lose their tag team tittle. When the whole Elite starts losing tittles it's gonna be a chaotic mess around the ring with the Elite finally being outnumbered by Dark Order, Mox, Eddie Kingston, CD, Kaz...

Let me dream about that night.

I'd be surprised if CD doesn't come out at least once during this storyline. If not here, Tommy Malakai End Aleister Black implied during one of his streams that he was interested in working something with CD, so maybe after he's done with this initial Cody storyline we'll get to see CD back for that.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

yea ok posted:

theres a lot of stuff every episode that i dont like. either due to my weird standards or just personal taste. but it’s so much more fun to post about what i like and enjoy about it so thats why i dont really worry about the bad crap

if i enjoy 80% of the show which i pretty much always do, its doing pretty dam good by wrestling and even tv standards

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

JUNGLE BOY posted:

if i enjoy 80% of the show which i pretty much always do, its doing pretty dam good by wrestling and even tv standards

:agreed:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Guillermus posted:

I have this theory... call me crazy but I think Christopher Daniels will suddenly appear to make the Bucks lose their tag team tittle. When the whole Elite starts losing tittles it's gonna be a chaotic mess around the ring with the Elite finally being outnumbered by Dark Order, Mox, Eddie Kingston, CD, Kaz...

Let me dream about that night.

I honestly expected Fallen Angel dark CD to show up to save Kaz last night.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I hope after the Dark Order crushes the Elite they make em lick dog turds after recess

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

yea ok posted:

yea.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The Bee posted:

The fact that AEW constantly tries to elevate the business around it is astounding. Even in its founding, WWE was out to smother the industry and become top dog. The energies are inconcievably different.

esp right now when wrestling is resurgent and attractive to a lot of big money people that need to fill content. Its why AEW is hitting their metrics and WWE has to keep penciling over.

It doesn't take 4 months of negotiations with NJPW to come to a deal with WWE loaning out Daniel Bryan. Its literally a phonecall to Rocky Romero going "hey Daniel Bryan's bored and wants to work some NJPW dates, no bullshit and we'll throw $20k as assurance" Instead WWE tacks on a bunch of nonsense stuff like DB has to win every every match or every match placard with DB has to have a WWE logo bigger than NJPW logo.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I just re-watched Nick Gage's intro and I HAVE GOOSEBUMPS AGAIN AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

PRO WRESTLING

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Guillermus posted:

PRO WRESTLING

I LOVE IT

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

coconono posted:

esp right now when wrestling is resurgent and attractive to a lot of big money people that need to fill content. Its why AEW is hitting their metrics and WWE has to keep penciling over.

It doesn't take 4 months of negotiations with NJPW to come to a deal with WWE loaning out Daniel Bryan. Its literally a phonecall to Rocky Romero going "hey Daniel Bryan's bored and wants to work some NJPW dates, no bullshit and we'll throw $20k as assurance" Instead WWE tacks on a bunch of nonsense stuff like DB has to win every every match or every match placard with DB has to have a WWE logo bigger than NJPW logo.

it probably helps that AEW is stocked to the gills with guys with great reputations in Japan, guys who know how poo poo works there, and are very good friends with big names in NJPW like Okada. I couldn't imagine how anyone thought WWE would have really had an advantage over AEW in terms of a consistent Japan working relationship, especially when guys like KENTA and Ibushi likely warned them.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

coconono posted:

I remember when Moxley first appeared on New Japan Strong, back in January I think, and there was this big "how did the Forbidden Door get opened??" question. And Mox went on one of Meltzer's podcasts and was like "I don't know about any door, I called Tony and said 'hey there's this New Japan Strong thing taping like a five hour drive from me and I want to go fight Kenta on it' and Tony said 'ok, cool'"

Having that kind of agility and not having to route things through a shitload of red tape is a huge plus

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

DLC Inc posted:

it probably helps that AEW is stocked to the gills with guys with great reputations in Japan, guys who know how poo poo works there, and are very good friends with big names in NJPW like Okada. I couldn't imagine how anyone thought WWE would have really had an advantage over AEW in terms of a consistent Japan working relationship, especially when guys like KENTA and Ibushi likely warned them.

I can't wait for Okada to come out and the chyron says:

"Best Friends Protege"

:v:

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Pinwiz11 posted:

I can't wait for Okada to come out and the chyron says:

"Best Friends Protege"

:v:
justin roberts introduces him as "Chuck Taylor's friend, Kazuchika Okada"

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I wonder if they'll drag the 5 Labors of Jericho out long enough so that at some point he'll have to fight Sami Zayn, whose WWE contract is up next month

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

DLC Inc posted:

You've hit the nail on the head, I think. A lot of this stuff works by goodwill and good relationships, and WWE's store of these in companies in Japan isn't exactly high.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I also really liked the largely untranslated Spanish segment between the Lucha Bros and Andrade. I don't speak Spanish, but through everyone's body language and vocal intonation (and decades of watching wrestling promo segments), I didn't feel lost and had a decent idea of what was being said. I think it's good for wrestling to hear different languages on TV in non-comedy segments anyway, and in particular Penta and Andrade are great ambassadors for that because they're so slick.

Also MDK all fuckin' day

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

CombineThresher posted:

I also really liked the largely untranslated Spanish segment between the Lucha Bros and Andrade. I don't speak Spanish, but through everyone's body language and vocal intonation (and decades of watching wrestling promo segments), I didn't feel lost and had a decent idea of what was being said. I think it's good for wrestling to hear different languages on TV in non-comedy segments anyway, and in particular Penta and Andrade are great ambassadors for that because they're so slick.

Also MDK all fuckin' day

Also it's quickly becoming apparent that "PENTA SAYS..." is over as gently caress.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Nick Jr. Face posted:

I wonder if they'll drag the 5 Labors of Jericho out long enough so that at some point he'll have to fight Sami Zayn, whose WWE contract is up next month

I assumed it was a match a week, but I may be mistaken.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lamuella posted:

Also it's quickly becoming apparent that "PENTA SAYS..." is over as gently caress.

For anyone who is bilingual, how much does Alex edit/abridge Penta? If at all?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
If this company has Bryan Danielson, I will start watching.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Mr. Squishy posted:

I assumed it was a match a week, but I may be mistaken.

Pretty much leading to their match at All Out. Although I'd love the swerve of Gage actually beating Jericho just to mess with expectations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

I remember when Moxley first appeared on New Japan Strong, back in January I think, and there was this big "how did the Forbidden Door get opened??" question. And Mox went on one of Meltzer's podcasts and was like "I don't know about any door, I called Tony and said 'hey there's this New Japan Strong thing taping like a five hour drive from me and I want to go fight Kenta on it' and Tony said 'ok, cool'"

Having that kind of agility and not having to route things through a shitload of red tape is a huge plus

https://twitter.com/TrevorDame/status/1418034430736625667

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Um,

WHAT IF THE NICK GAGE/MOX FIGHT IS AT ALL OUT

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

He pretty much translates 100% of what PENTA SAYS

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Pinwiz11 posted:

Um,

WHAT IF THE NICK GAGE/DOCTOR LUTHER THE ORIGINAL DEATH MATCH LEGEND FIGHT IS AT ALL OUT

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

VVVV

ARMBAR A COP posted:

He pretty much translates 100% of what PENTA SAYS

Alex stays true to what PENTA SAYS and puts his own hype. I love it.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Some more interesting stuff with CM Punk:

quote:

In the hours that followed the CM Punk story, we learned more about companies that have reached out to him. Fightful Select was told that in January of 2020 Ring of Honor -- specifically Marty Scurll, who had been leading the charge at that point -- asked to send out feelers to CM Punk. Obviously those conversations didn't go very very far, but people in Ring of Honor that heard of the conversations say that they were told that story, opponents and general plans were more important than dollars offered.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Punk can get the bag wherever he goes, definitely sounds like this is about him trying to fix his legacy.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Not as amazing a show as the past two weeks, but those two shows were like "good PPV" quality, this was merely two hours of very entertaining TV.

- Yay Lance! Insane match, that chair spot was just hosed up beyond belief and next week's match against Hikuleo ought to be good
- I have no idea who Nick Gage is. At all.
- Orange Cassidy and Sting owned
- Holy crap is Britt over

AEW is very good, wrestling is very good. (Play Final Fantasy XIV)

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Pinwiz11 posted:

Um,

I Want To Believe

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

- I have no idea who Nick Gage is. At all.

You should steal someone's Hulu account and watch his Dark Side of the Ring episode. He's the loving god of this poo poo.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CombineThresher posted:

AEW's done this since the beginning. "I have no idea what that little muscular goblin man said, but boy, PAC sure is pissed about something!"

Pinwiz11 posted:

Um,

OH GOD.

EXPLODING RING II

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

https://twitter.com/aew/status/1418278470224863238?s=21

Probably just In Action on Dynamite, but speculate wildly.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I don't know about the money, but a less intensive schedule, creative input, and the ability to work dates for other companies is what AEW offers everyone. Bryan should have been bargaining for like, a bowl of M&Ms only he can touch or being able to drive down to the ring on a motorbike.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

StarkRavingMad posted:

Tony likely understands that it's mutually beneficial for both sides to have those crossovers for big tournaments + it lets people cycle out and do other cool poo poo while they focus on other members of AEW.

also lol at ROH trying to get Punk and that line about "opponents mean more than money" welp, if that's the case, can't see why anyone would go to ROH over AEW

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

they should do an empty exploding stadium match. here in a few years the jaguars can sign plans for a new stadium instead of doing heavy renovations on the current one, and aew can use the old/current stadium for the last time with the demolition charges set to a timer. fans won't be in that stadium because it's too large and about to collapse. the only camera they have to show during the explosion is one set up like 300 yards away showing the whole stadium come down, and everyone will get that feed to their screen and a jumbotron at the regular event. everyone inside could easily die also. can't lose.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

https://twitter.com/aew/status/1418278470224863238?s=21

Probably just In Action on Dynamite, but speculate wildly.

“Thunder Rosa… has been released and is joining WWE!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

enigmahfc posted:

When Gage came out, my wife was all," isn't that guy really crazy? what if he actually hurts Jericho." :ohdear:
And i was all, "Yeah, what if he really huts Jericho." :sickos:

Very cool