Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

TheScott2K posted:

I thought Deus Ex was an okay game with a few really good bits. It didn't look very good, didn't run very well, and had a whole lot of jank. It did that fake choice between playing it as a decent stealth game or a terrible shooter and nowadays everyone's loving gaga over it. People forgive a lot of stuff because it's old but that stuff was wack back then too.

The SquareEnix Deuses Ex are better.

What a bizarrely ahistorical take. Nobody liked Deus Ex back in the day, yeah.

I first played it in like 2005 and even 5 years removed from its original release date there was still nothing quite like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

TheScott2K posted:

I thought Deus Ex was an okay game with a few really good bits. It didn't look very good, didn't run very well, and had a whole lot of jank. It did that fake choice between playing it as a decent stealth game or a terrible shooter and nowadays everyone's loving gaga over it. People forgive a lot of stuff because it's old but that stuff was wack back then too.

The SquareEnix Deuses Ex are better.

2/3 (or 3/4 if you liked Deus Ex Go I guess)

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Gobblecoque posted:

Deus Ex owned when it released and it still owns today.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Eidos Montreal's Deus Exes were great, but I still love DE1 way more, and I didn't even get to play through that game til like 2009. It has some jank, but it's predictable jank and there's not a whole lot of it

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm not a fan of Deus Ex either. The shooting is way too bad at the start (so a special agent can't shoot a pistol for poo poo) and even with the proper skills it doesn't get much better (and by better I mean enjoyable for me). It has great dialogue and does cool stuff but it isn't even on my top 20 games. I rather play Human Revolution or even Mankind Divided instead.

I like System Shock 2 though.

Deus Ex memes and shitposts are amazing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The original Deus Ex is great and so was at least the first new one (it's the only one I played).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

OG Deus Ex is great, you philistines!

But they are more about exploration, choices and their tradeoffs, and resource management than action.
Deus Ex HR & Mankind streamlines too much to be good Deus Exes. Their character progression is bad, the stealth is too casualized unbalancing the game, and some items break the game.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It was really funny in the new game stacking boxes around a door in the police station so I could hack into it.

I will say it also had one of my gaming "holy poo poo" moments when I was sneaking around and an NPC actually did a turnaround to check his back as he was walking his path.

Mad I didn't get the pacifist achievement despite doing it on hard. The helicopter crash sequence had to be orchestrated perfectly.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

prey 2017 adding a nerf dart crossbow that can specifically activate touchscreens is still probably one of the coolest things i've ever seen in a game of that sort just because of the cool poo poo you can do with it, especially if you're specifically avoiding using neuromods for abilities and whatnot

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The shooting being bad is dx1 is fine since you shouldn't be using anything other than the blackjack anyways

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Groovelord Neato posted:

The original Deus Ex is great and so was at least the first new one (it's the only one I played).

Mankind Divided is awesome and has one of the best hub worlds in any game.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

Deus Ex owned when it released and it still owns today.

I first played it a few years after release and fell in love. I still replay it (mods and all) every few years.

Dues Ex owns. It sucks the series died after Mankind Divided. Human Revolution had shown so much promise. :(

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Johnny Joestar posted:

prey 2017 adding a nerf dart crossbow that can specifically activate touchscreens is still probably one of the coolest things i've ever seen in a game of that sort just because of the cool poo poo you can do with it, especially if you're specifically avoiding using neuromods for abilities and whatnot

Most of the "weapons" in that game are explicitly not weapons - not even in the Dead Space "mining tool but actually gun" way, just legit not even remotely weapons, and it's so so good.

Also OG DX is good, as are the Jensen games, and gently caress me, I just wanna replay them all now! I think HR is my favorite in terms of hitting a sweet spot for the series, but they're all so drat good.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

site posted:

The shooting being bad is dx1 is fine since you shouldn't be using anything other than the blackjack anyways

Give me the gep gun. Sometimes you've got to make a silent takedown.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Gobblecoque posted:

Go in and go in and go in and go in like the US marshals and his three daughters.

Take PILLS on my orders.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Gobblecoque posted:

If there are only gibs around, nothing is left that has heard you. That's almost exactly the same as being slient.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If you don’t like the gunplay then use GMDX. It makes it feel a whole lot better, among other things.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

All this talk just makes me wish Gloomwood was out.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

shoeberto posted:

Also OG DX is good, as are the Jensen games, and gently caress me, I just wanna replay them all now! I think HR is my favorite in terms of hitting a sweet spot for the series, but they're all so drat good.

yeah actually i had picked up md over Christmas and haven't gotten around to it yet. kinda feel like starting that series playthrough after i wrap up my current game

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Just a heads up about MD: Everyone complains that it just ends, which it kinda does story-wise, but it actually has an effective finale from a gameplay perspective. So don't let that naysaying turn you off, it's a really very good game. But HR is just a better overall package imo. (People say to avoid the director's cut? I'm not sure if it's even possible nowadays, but I can't speak from any experience, I just own the original)

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Do people say that? The director's cut has better boss fights for sure and I'm struggling to think of a downside over the original, though its been awhile.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I wouldn't say avoid the Director's Cut of HR but I really don't like the way the DLC is shoehorned into the middle of the campaign because it takes away all your augments and makes you start from a blank slate until the end of the DLC when you get your Praxis points back. I didn't even really like it that much to begin with. And then I did an NG+ playthrough only to find that the DLC resets you to absolute zero and then only gives you back an NG amount of Praxis points, making the game identical to NG after that point, so my playthrough ended there.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The DC opens up your options for dealing with the boss fights. The original fights were more straight up action scenes that didn’t suit everyone’s play-style. The Fedorova fight was pretty tough in my first time through.

Edit: Yeah, the DLC suddenly getting jammed into the beginning of the movie third act just doesn’t feel right, and you can’t turn it off.

I liked MD a lot better. One thing it does better than just about any other game is let you feel like you’re taking part in a dynamic mission where things can change rapidly. Particularly the opening and final missions.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Finishing MD with a nonlethal takedown of the end boss was funny as hell and also pretty satisfying.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
The Director's Cut removes a lot of the yellow/gold color tinting from the original release. Not sure why! I mean I guess some folks complained about it but it was sure a distinctive look.

There's a thing here to try to restore the look, although I haven't tried it myself: https://github.com/CookiePLMonster/DXHRDC-GFX/releases

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Revisiting Hexen, and I forgot a lot about the later sections of the game. This trap in Gibbet owns.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

MMF Freeway posted:

Do people say that? The director's cut has better boss fights for sure and I'm struggling to think of a downside over the original, though its been awhile.

I remember people making a stink back when it came out about technical issues or something. No idea if that's just extremely-online people making GBS threads on it because ???reasons??? or if any of it was valid.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

People wrecking the poo poo out of Prey demo with gluegun madness was glorious

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Cruelty Squad is probably my favorite indie game of all time. Haven't 100% completed it yet but I've played 12 hours and I love the gameplay and aesthetics. The lack of saving gives it kind of a dark souls feel which I love.

I also happen to be playing through Mankind Divided. It feels like a DLC but the map is cool and I love looting apartments so I'm enjoying it. I think I got it for like 4 dollars.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

shoeberto posted:

I remember people making a stink back when it came out about technical issues or something. No idea if that's just extremely-online people making GBS threads on it because ???reasons??? or if any of it was valid.

the director's cut reintroduced a bunch of bugs that had previously been patched out of the original release, as well as adding a few new ones

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Weedle posted:

the director's cut reintroduced a bunch of bugs that had previously been patched out of the original release, as well as adding a few new ones

It does fix a massive flaw in the original by letting you get around the boss fights, also they upped the energy regeneration thing to 2 bars instead of 1 which helps a lot. There's a mod which restores the original look as well.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

JLaw posted:

The Director's Cut removes a lot of the yellow/gold color tinting from the original release. Not sure why! I mean I guess some folks complained about it but it was sure a distinctive look.

There's a thing here to try to restore the look, although I haven't tried it myself: https://github.com/CookiePLMonster/DXHRDC-GFX/releases

I might have to check this out. Kinda funny that on my first playthrough I used a mod to remove the yellow filter, now I'm gonna use a mod to put it back in

Also that menu theme is so drat good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxcYSEcH8Fk

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Guillermus posted:

I'm not a fan of Deus Ex either. The shooting is way too bad at the start (so a special agent can't shoot a pistol for poo poo) and even with the proper skills it doesn't get much better (and by better I mean enjoyable for me). It has great dialogue and does cool stuff but it isn't even on my top 20 games. I rather play Human Revolution or even Mankind Divided instead.

Yeah, I found it took until around Hong Kong for the pistol I'd been dumping all my points into to finally feel like an effective option, which is a lot of gameplay to spend feeling woefully underpowered. Although around the same time the enemies switch to absolute dogshit weapons which makes the later half of the game bizarrely easier. I need to get back to HR, I keep on getting distracted partway through.

Guillermus posted:

:yeah:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

picked up cruelty squad and this game is just loving amazing. it took me a little bit to get into it but it finally clicked. the movement and gunplay feel so much better than a game where you have to hold rightclick and drag your mouse down to reload ever should

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
I'm getting back into Blood and playing Post Mortem, which I skipped for Death Wish. It's... okay. Aqueduct is an awful level though.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

dracula vladdy AF posted:

I'm getting back into Blood and playing Post Mortem, which I skipped for Death Wish. It's... okay. Aqueduct is an awful level though.

Post Mortem is... fine. Agreed.

Cryptic Passage is 110% worth your time though

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Earthless: Prelude is now available for download within the official Doom port on Steam and consoles. Earthless, but not necessarily Switchless.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Guillermus posted:

Do you have a single fact to back that up?

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Has anyone here tried the Hexen Rebalanced mod? It sounds promising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I've tried and failed to do another playthrough of Mankind Divided something like 3 times now. Can't seem to get into it.

HR I replayed fully something like 3 or 4 times. Also bought it on the Wii U... for... some reason.