Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

If I found a fossilized wheel made of teeth I would not automatically assume there was originally a shark attached to the end of it.

That's on you, pal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

If I found a fossilized wheel made of teeth I would not automatically assume there was originally a shark attached to the end of it.

There's other forms of evidence, like CT scans that have uncovered cartilaginous remains forming jaws, that have indicated decently well how they were attached to the shark's mouth.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Fuckin' dork fish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG3dzXPU8eo

Sorry for redneck comedy tour, but for the last 20 years every fish that has a dumb face (all fish), I think about this bit.

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 06:46 on Jul 23, 2021

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Dunking on a shark with a loving circular saw for a jaw, let's see your evolutionary speciality then bud.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

easily the most sarcastic of all the gelatinous invertebrates

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
modern reboot of jaws using goofy rear end prehistoric sharks

shark shows up and everyone laughs and calls it stupid until it departs in shame

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Dunking on a shark with a loving circular saw for a jaw, let's see your evolutionary speciality then bud.

head real big, pelvis all hosed up, larynx slightly lower than normal, less hair on most of the body but really long hair on the head. it may sound like a silly set of adaptations, but you don't see sharks driving humans to extinction to make lovely soup, so who's the real loser here??

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Our high level of intelligence has allowed us to bring about the end of all life in this epoch and shitpost on the Internet, truly the perfect organism.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I don't really understand how the circular jaw would work. Unless the lower jaw moves back and forth.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Lady Disdain posted:

I don't really understand how the circular jaw would work. Unless the lower jaw moves back and forth.

It's not actually a circular saw, just looks like one. The teeth were serrated inwards so each bite would pull prey back towards the throat.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

darkwasthenight posted:

It's not actually a circular saw, just looks like one. The teeth were serrated inwards so each bite would pull prey back towards the throat.

That's a common misunderstanding. I am doing a PhD in Prehistoric Marine Biology and the teeth actually rotate on a 360 degree ball socket, what you are looking at is the world's first pizzaiolo with built-in pizza cutter

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5GHg27wYLI

I like this channel a lot!

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

darkwasthenight posted:

That's my point, though. How does the normal opening-closing action of a draw jaw pull food backwards without the jaw also pulling backwards ?

e: "draw" ? Why the hell did I write "draw" ?

Lady Disdain has a new favorite as of 13:50 on Jul 23, 2021

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lady Disdain posted:

That's my point, though. How does the normal opening-closing action of a draw pull food backwards without the jaw also pulling backwards ?

It didn’t. That’s why they’re extinct.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://i.imgur.com/kiD9eEj.mp4

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
On that note, does anyone have a link to that guy who's basically Danny MacAskill on skis ?
In one of his videos, he gets towed along by a horse for a bit, and it ends with him skiing onto a lake and getting picked up by a helicopter (I think).

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

I really appreciate how quickly he talks while still being very clear! I tend to find youtube videos really tedious otherwise

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

cakesmith handyman posted:

Goofy looking things are often the most dangerous. I had a buddy that was 6'4" and 140 lbs. Looked like a concentration camp victim. He was like fighting a spider. I was 6', 245lbs. I could pick him up like a baby and throw him like he was nothing if he were to let me. He'd beat me most of the time wrestling. He was all limbs. Couldn't get a grip on him. Significant advantage. I'm a good wrestler, with weight in my favor, with a strong grip and big arms. But he had reach.

Point being, adaptation doesn't make sense sometimes. If it works, it works. If you want a Rolodex of teeth and it works, go nuts.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mauser posted:

I really appreciate how quickly he talks while still being very clear! I tend to find youtube videos really tedious otherwise

Same here, increasing the playback speed to 1.25 or even 1.5 normal speed is often the only way I can get through a slowtalker video

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Same here, increasing the playback speed to 1.25 or even 1.5 normal speed is often the only way I can get through a slowtalker video

gonna hit fast-forward on vaatividya so i can hear him make poo poo up about dark souls at the speed of light while he sounding like a british loving chipmunk

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://i.imgur.com/esNg13k.mp4

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Why is no one reacting?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

ElGroucho posted:

Why is no one reacting?

That's Randy, he does that every game.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Since everyone is talking so much evolution stuff
https://twitter.com/moths_daily/status/1418238460767391747
For those who aren't seeing it Second from bottom is a moth

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

-Zydeco- posted:

Since everyone is talking so much evolution stuff
https://twitter.com/moths_daily/status/1418238460767391747
For those who aren't seeing it Second from bottom is a moth

Good luck, that moth's new habitat is a jar full of chloroform on the way to the display case.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDeUzB12ln8

quote:

You may be interested to know that the entire crocodile scene was not in the original script for the film and that the man who performed it wasn't even a stunt man!

Both the crocodile farm and its ominous sign reading 'Trespassers Will Be Eaten' were real and stumbled upon by chance during an early location scout for the film. Inspired, the producers decided that they couldn't pass up the opportunity to use such a Bond-esque location!

They contacted the owner of the farm, a man named Ross Kananga, for permission to film there. Kananga, himself a Bond fan, readily agreed and the screenwriters set to work creating a scene where Bond is trapped, surrounded by the crocs. The only snag was- how on earth would 007 escape?
The initial idea was to have him use his magnetic watch to summon a small boat to his aid but his was deemed too easy. (In the finished film, he actually does try this but the boat is tied) They posed this problem to Kananga and it was Kananga himself who suggested Bond use the crocs as stepping stones to get across. The producers loved the idea but were sceptical of accomplishing the stunt. Not comfortable with putting the welfare of a stuntman on the line from an idea that he had suggested, Kananga offered to perform the fantastic feat himself...

The crocs were not tranquilized or tied down but were kept in line via two transparent panels placed either side of them under the water's surface. Kananga sustained a number of injuries from the stunt, one of which required 193 stitches. Despite this, he amazed the production crew with his determination to get the stunt just right, even apologising profusely for his failed attempts!He was rewarded with the sum of $60,000 and with having the honour of the film's villain named after him! He died of a cardiac arrest only five years later aged just 33.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:classiclol: those crocodiles look so pissed, nobody asked them for permission and they didn't even get billing!

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Or a lump sum payment. But presumably they got the satisfaction of outliving the bellend who stepped on them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPEq_YcjuiQ

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Anna_Kiesenhofer:

quote:

Anna Kiesenhofer (born 14 February 1991) is an Austrian cyclist and postdoctoral fellow in mathematics at the École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL).
EPFL is generally considered to be one of the best universities in the world, so being attached to it in any capacity is a tremendous accomplishment.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

ultrafilter posted:

Anna_Kiesenhofer:

EPFL is generally considered to be one of the best universities in the world, so being attached to it in any capacity is a tremendous accomplishment.

No trainer no coach!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

verbal enema posted:

No trainer no coach!

That's the craziest poo poo about this

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No trainer no coach, wasn’t even considered a contender and won gold

Holy poo poo what a badass

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

No trainer no coach, wasn’t even considered a contender and won gold

Holy poo poo what a badass

All the people who were expected to win didnt even know she was kicking their rear end!

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

verbal enema posted:

All the people who were expected to win didnt even know she was kicking their rear end!

Isn't it obvious? They clearly miscalculated her as a threat.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
She looked like she was digging real deep in the last few kms.
It was really cool to watch

The riders behind her didn't know she was out ahead because there was no race radio, unlike normal tour events that they ride

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

EoinCannon posted:

She looked like she was digging real deep in the last few kms.
It was really cool to watch

The riders behind her didn't know she was out ahead because there was no race radio, unlike normal tour events that they ride

Yeah, and like the 2nd place one threw her hands up in victory, or something. Crazy, and embarassing.

If you walked up on this :

Would you be safe, and they'd ignore you? Join forces?

But clash of the titans was pretty cool.

Even the school yard trick of ducking around a tree

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
She's amazing, and her win is incredible. But other than that, as someone who knows nothing about cycling, what really amazed me is that the peloton managed to catch up on that 10 minute lead. I'm sure it's something to do with flying-duck-formations and aerodynamics and teamwork (and maybe it's not that unusual in cycling :shrug:), but 10 minutes sounds to me like an insane amount of catching up.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Lady Disdain posted:

She's amazing, and her win is incredible. But other than that, as someone who knows nothing about cycling, what really amazed me is that the peloton managed to catch up on that 10 minute lead. I'm sure it's something to do with flying-duck-formations and aerodynamics and teamwork (and maybe it's not that unusual in cycling :shrug:), but 10 minutes sounds to me like an insane amount of catching up.

With a group you can tag team being the one who takes the brunt of the wind resistance. This allows you to keep your legs relatively fresh than that person out there on their own. So it becomes less a matter of them gaining 10 minutes on the lead person and more a matter of the lead person slowing down at a much faster rate as they are worn out faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
That makes sense. Thanks for explaining.