Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

I like Raimi but he hasn't done anything good in over a decade. And actually the only thing he's done within the last decade was another Disney franchise movie that was completely forgettable.

He directed the amazing opening episode of Ash vs Evil Dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Gonna be bummed if it Bruce Campbell isn't Mephisto though

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Bruce Campbell will be a 4 second cameo blocking Tom, Tony, and Andrew from getting to the macguffin.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lmao.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's still bullshit Nic Cage isn't Doctor Strange

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
He's gotta be Ghost Rider.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He can be both, and should

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I wonder if Gustin Grant is going to cameo in this

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

omg chael crash posted:

I wonder if Gustin Grant is going to cameo in this
Word on the street is yea

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Straight up me at all times lmao

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Preferably as John Milton from Drive Angry as Ghost Rider.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Leslie Grace from In The Heights is Batgirl in a HBO Max exclusive movie.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Michaela Coel has been cast in the Black Panther sequel and will be co-writing. Her character is not being named - unclear who it could be that they would want to keep a secret.

quote:

Her Emmy-nominated series I May Destroy You—which Coel created, wrote, directed, produced, and starred in—became one of the most talked-about TV shows of 2020. She also met success with her previous series Chewing Gum, which she also created and starred in, and which gained an international fanbase after it was acquired by Netflix. Between those series, Coel starred in Tinge Krishnan’s adaptation of the musical Been So Long, and portrayed a member of the Resistance in Star Wars: Episode VIII—The Last Jedi.

I haven't seen her TV show and don't remember her in Star Wars. She has a pretty short, but awards-filled IMDB page.

https://www.avclub.com/michaela-coe...source=facebook

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It's a really, really good show.

She's be a dope Storm.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

It's still bullshit Nic Cage isn't Doctor Strange

The Sorceror's Apprentice is pretty close to this. It's a kid's movie but he plays an eccentric Sorceror in the big city and there's some weirdly good effects.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sorcerer's Apprentice is a very, very fun movie.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Michaela Coel has been cast in the Black Panther sequel and will be co-writing. Her character is not being named - unclear who it could be that they would want to keep a secret.
Alternate Reality Shuri who went mad with technology or something

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Timeless Appeal posted:

Gonna be bummed if it Bruce Campbell isn't Mephisto though

Jeffrey Combs would be the ideal pick to play someone in the Dr. Strange sequel now that the multiverse is a thing since he's already played Dr. Strange but they had to file off the serial numbers at the last second when they lost the rights to it:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

FilthyImp posted:

Alternate Reality Shuri who went mad with technology or something

Alternate Reality Shuri who stayed cool and sane after real world Shuri took a deep dive into anti-vaxxer nonsense?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Everyone posted:

Alternate Reality Shuri who stayed cool and sane after real world Shuri took a deep dive into anti-vaxxer nonsense?

Canonically, snorting an herb and burying yourself alive in Wakanda provides near complete immunity to disease and super strength, endurance, and agility.

She could have just been method acting.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's a really, really good show.

She's be a dope Storm.

Don't get my hopes up like that.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

As cool as would be if she's Storm , I'm Not excited for the marvel cinematic equivalent of all the black folks know or are related to each other

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

bushisms.txt posted:

As cool as would be if she's Storm , I'm Not excited for the marvel cinematic equivalent of all the black folks know or are related to each other

I would note that Sam Wilson got his new Captain America goodies because the "black folks" of Wakanda knew and rather liked a white guy - Bucky Barnes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

bushisms.txt posted:

They could pretty easily tie Storm's new origin. She was born in Africa and stayed there for a long while helping folks out.

Shuri could get word of a massive electrical disturbance and find Storm fighting a whatever.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Inzombiac posted:

They could pretty easily tie Storm's new origin. She was born in Africa and stayed there for a long while helping folks out.

I haven't kept up with comics for the last 10 years, but wasn't that Storm's original origin?

She was born in Africa, stayed there for a while before going to New York with her parents, then somehow ended up a teacher who would periodically go back?

There was also some weird nonsense about her mutation being part of a long line of African tribal priestesses that can control the weather and being worshipped as a god too.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

bushisms.txt posted:

Is this one of those things where people forget Storm and T'Challa were married?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

Is this one of those things where people forget Storm and T'Challa were married?

Guess why they're saying that

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

She was born in Africa, stayed there for a while before going to New York with her parents, then somehow ended up a teacher who would periodically go back?
It's actually the opposite. Storm was born in the US, but her parents moved to Cairo where they died. It's kind of a sweaty origin. Although I like in the comics that her and Jean are just roommates for a bit. Just two superpowered gal pals hanging out in NYC.

Honestly, I was also didn't love T'Challa marrying Storm in the comics because it felt out of nowhere and do get the "all the black people know each other" critique.

Alternatively though, Storm is a loving Goddess who was a very well written character in a time where Black and female characters very rarely were despite how horny creators often were for her. I think introducing her out of the broader mutant drama and let her upbringing be more than background information would really give her a chance to be a character and not cast as a third stringer behind Wolverine.

Her actually getting to be the first mutant they introduce and really getting a chance to breathe as a character works for me. A Storm movie would be nice too.

t;ldr Marvel Comics and movies aren't great about race and its all problematic, but I'd rather see Storm debut with Black characters and finally get a chance to feel like a big deal.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 22, 2021

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's actually the opposite. Storm was born in the US, but her parents moved to Cairo where they died. It's kind of a sweaty origin. Although I like in the comics that her and Jean are just roommates for a bit. Just two superpowered gal pals hanging out in NYC.

Honestly, I was also didn't love T'Challa marrying Storm in the comics because it felt out of nowhere and do get the "all the black people know each other" critique.

Alternatively though, Storm is a loving Goddess who was a very well written character in a time where Black and female characters very rarely were despite how horny creators often were for her. I think introducing her out of the broader mutant drama and let her upbringing be more than background information would really give her a chance to be a character and not cast as a third stringer behind Wolverine.

Her actually getting to be the first mutant they introduce and really getting a chance to breathe as a character works for me. A Storm movie would be nice too.

t;ldr Marvel Comics and movies aren't great about race and its all problematic, but I'd rather see Storm debut with Black characters and finally get a chance to feel like a big deal.

Not sure how I feel about introducing mutants in the part of the franchise that was explicitly about giving black audiences some representation. Mutants have often been kind of strained as a metaphor for minorities and this kind of introduction would feel very weird if you follow it up with the next mutant story featuring the white Southern gal or the charming Cajun thief or whatever. You'd sacrifice what little coherence the concept of mutants as a minority has just because Storm and Black Panther match up well because they are both kinda regal.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

My hope if they were doing something interesting like Michaela Coel as Storm is that they'd lean into why she's awesome as an actor. She excels at flawed, funny, accessible characters, which Storm definitely isn't. I never connected with Storm as a kid because she was always so lofty and kind of joyless; every interaction she had in the 90's Animated Series felt like a lecture, like the writers were concerned about placing a WOC into a fallible or imperfect role, or one where she was ever wrong or small-minded in any way. Halle Berry's version wasn't far off from that, and it was a pretty boring use of a really charismatic performer.

I was actually excited for a few minutes in X-Men: Apocalypse when Storm showed up with her 80's punk hair and had some stated anger and cynicism about social justice topics. Then the movie...did what it did, and she profoundly didn't matter anymore or have any opinions. Total waste.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Storm's the most fun when she's a massive ham, though. Her whole original deal is godlike powers and presentation to go with them, even a deliberately multiracial appearance (like Gaia from Captain Planet) and the silver hair. I more remember from the 90s show and Evolution where she's definitely one of the grown-ups and heavy hitters with the X-Men, and treated more like an equal by Professor X; even Wolverine treats her with respect and deference.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Everyone posted:

She didn’t take a deep dive, she posted a single dumb video and got into a few arguments on Twitter before backpedaling completely. Her own castmates dragged her and she issued an apology.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

She didn’t take a deep dive, she posted a single dumb video and got into a few arguments on Twitter before backpedaling completely. Her own castmates dragged her and she issued an apology.

I actually feel relieved to be corrected on this. I really liked Letitia Wright as Shuri and was sort of silently praying "Please oh please don't become black Gina Carano.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think Storm is a hard character to nail because I think she often is a pretty flawed and relatable person, but is also an over the top goddess. One of her most iconic stories is her becoming the leader of the X-men after losing her powers. It's a story about trauma, rediscovering yourself, and she goes through it all while being a ridiculous badass.

I think why I don't love her in X-men: Evolution or the Animated Series is that she is very motherly or matriarchal. And I think that's a misunderstanding of her relationship with Kitty in the comics that always felt more like a big sister relationship with a queerish big girl crush.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Storm as a character as done and been through so much you could do an entire movie just about Storm

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

No doubt. Spider-Man will wear a hat in one of them.

https://imgur.com/a/iU6HgfP

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grendels Dad posted:

No doubt. Spider-Man will wear a hat in one of them.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

:thejoke:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I saw Snake Eyes last night. It's a fun enough movie, and it felt like somebody remade Batman Begins with the one of an early-00s Marvel movie.

Only thing is that I hate it does the origin movie thing of not having the character in their costume until the literal end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Roth posted:

I saw Snake Eyes last night. It's a fun enough movie, and it felt like somebody remade Batman Begins with the one of an early-00s Marvel movie.

Only thing is that I hate it does the origin movie thing of not having the character in their costume until the literal end.

I don't remember if the trailer shows it. Does the costume have the lips it did in Rise of Cobra?