Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

CarForumPoster posted:

A replacement regulator is $80 from rockauto but I figured this looked like a job where 3D printing might actually be much easier as I bet removing that window regulator is a bitch. Anyone attempted something similar? Any tips?

Tip: Don't use PLA, it will melt in service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

ryanrs posted:

Tip: Don't use PLA, it will melt in service.

Oooh good point this is a black car in a hot place. And of course I only have PLA or PLA+Wood on the shelf.

I kinda wonder if I can put a c-clip or an e-clip on it...somehow. It has a little shafty bit. I might be overthinking this for $80 and for the back window of a car thats worth $2K.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

Their main function is to keep brake dust off your wheels, so how important is that to you?

What? No it isn't. It's to keep road debris out of your brakes. They're in the totally wrong position to keep brake dust off your wheels and absolutely do not do that.

You can get away without them depending on how and where you drive, but calling them cosmetic is ridiculously wrong.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

CarForumPoster posted:

Has anyone replaced the slider on a window regulator like the design below? My wifes 2010 insight window regulator popped out of the track that clamps the glass. It appears its a ball joint in a little white plastic follower, shown below in red. I can likely remove one bolt on the glass clamping part and slide in a new follower.

A replacement regulator is $80 from rockauto but I figured this looked like a job where 3D printing might actually be much easier as I bet removing that window regulator is a bitch. Anyone attempted something similar? Any tips?

Regulators aren't *that* bad to change, but be careful with the interior plastics when removing and be sure to use plenty of tape to keep the window glass held up while you work.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Thank you! I will be working on this over the weekend and will follow up here with what I find.

Also a possibility: the rear wheel cylinders are leaking brake fluid, which can make brake shoes very grabby and impossible to modulate.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
How much will having a coupe raise your insurance rates vs. having a sedan?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

It depends on your city, state, zip code, insurance company, your driving record, the mood of the insurance company, and the phase of the moon. Also depends on what statements Elon Musk has made on Twitter in the past 15 minutes.

Nobody except for your insurance company can tell you; even then, it depends on the specific car - they'll need, at the least, a make/model/trim level (they'll will want a VIN for the most accurate rate). I've personally found that rates for a coupe vs sedan aren't really much different, but that's in TX, and on compact/subcompact cars (all Hondas/Acuras). Moving between zip codes has affected my rates far more than the number of doors on the car.

It's like that old myth that red cars double your insurance rates. My mother still swears by that; I've owned two red cars, and my rates were cheaper than the cars they replaced both times (one was white, one was black; both red cars were hatchbacks, so "3 door" by insurance standards).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jul 22, 2021

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

CarForumPoster posted:

Not much help specifically for your Insight but might give you an idea or two...

Did a few for a GM. Dorman actually offers replacement bushings for those since the old ones are prone to cracking. The old style was a rectangular block that cracks, the Dorman replacement is a wheel. Bent a couple tabs on the end and they went in with some force. Easier to do when the new ones are sitting in hot water so they are more malleable to accept the pivot pin.

Soooo, you might be able to adapt those for your use. They are a few bucks (for 5 cents worth plastic). Got them at either advance or AZ I think, where Dorman sells the rest of their oddball "help!" type poo poo.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

CarForumPoster posted:

Has anyone replaced the slider on a window regulator like the design below? My wifes 2010 insight window regulator popped out of the track that clamps the glass. It appears its a ball joint in a little white plastic follower, shown below in red. I can likely remove one bolt on the glass clamping part and slide in a new follower.

Doit. Nylon. Abs(meh). Petg. Annealed htpla.
Machining a piece of uhmw would be perfect...

STR posted:

It depends on your city, state, zip code, insurance company, your driving record, the mood of the insurance company, and the phase of the moon. Also depends on what statements Elon Musk has made on Twitter in the past 15 minutes.

Also credit score.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

NotNut posted:

How much will having a coupe raise your insurance rates vs. having a sedan?

I think my two door GTI ended up costing $50/6 months more than the quote I got for a four door (in 2007), but that may have also been down to different options and such (base vs moonroof).

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Motronic posted:

Did you test the new thermostat in a pot of water before you installed it?

We have now installed one that passed this test first. This did fix the issues we were having burping the thing, but the truck still overheats almost immediately when driven. So lol, the thermostat was indeed DOA but that wasn't the greater problem.

Fwiw, oil and coolant look pristine. It does actually go into open loop when it should, but I never get hot air out of the vents (forgot to fondle the heater hoses to confirm, will do next try)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Water pump could be kaput.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

How likely is that at 13 months old? Pretty sure I took months off my life changing that bastard on the road last June.

We're thinking of trying to flush it with a hose tomorrow; is there a means of ruling out the head gasket without a shop? I see some compelling prices on pressure test kits..

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I went from a 2007 Hyundai accent 2 door hatch to a 2007 4 door GTI and my insurance went down by a considerable amount. Even with the GTI having like double the horsepower of the Hyundai.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Javid posted:

How likely is that at 13 months old?

If you bought a parts store junk rebuild or even new manufacturer: exceptionally likely.

You know, just like your bad out of the box thermostat that is such a well known thing someone on the internet called it.

Parts store crap is often shockingly bad and it only seems to be getting worse. I'm at the point where it's not worth my labor to gamble on it. I buy the real deal online or at least OEM.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Motronic posted:

I buy the real deal online or at least OEM.

What you pay for in dollars is peanuts vs the cost in time. I do only OEM for stuff like this as well.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Well, poo poo. That would suck less than a head gasket, at least.

Is there a way to figure out the exact issue now that we've covered most of the common bases? Or is it time to limp to a shop and find out how hosed we are?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Autozone will rent you a tester deal that you stick in the radiator opening - the liquid inside will change color if there's exhaust in the cooling system. You have to buy the liquid itself for like.. $10 or $20 I think, and IIRC there's like a $50 deposit for the tester that you get back when you bring it back.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
this is a stupid curiosity question, apologies if it's inappropriate: are BMW's/ZF's torque converter automatic transmissions, the ones they've been putting in like all their cars like the M240i, etc, really "as good as or better than" a real dual clutch (like of the sort VAG uses) when using paddles? I've heard people say they're as quick and precise to shift without any of the downsides or idiosyncracies of PDK but I don't believe it.

If they're so much better then why would VAG, etc stick to using a complex, occasionally temperamental, relatively fragile system vs the relative bulletproof-ness of a torque converter? It's not like ZF wouldn't sell them a transmission if they wanted one.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I only drove a DSG for like two days when my car was in the shop over a decade ago, but I now have a 240 hp car with a ZF transmission.

It seems like the DSG is better at rev matching and can shift slightly faster, especially when skipping gears. Day to day, I find the ZF the best automatic I've ever driven (ie I never, ever have to think about a delay when I step on the gas to pass in traffic), but it does sometimes hang for a second if I want to down shift a couple of gears and accelerate and I can trip it up if it's in auto mode and I go from hard braking to hard acceleration. I don't really paddle shift as there's 8 gears, so it's just tap tap tap with little tactile difference between the gears and its just a little abstract and boring (on the street).

I still miss driving a manual, no matter what the advantages are.

I'd guess VAG will keep using the DSG as a premium marquee option and because the drive train was originally designed for it and they don't wanna re-engineer for a different transmission.

I also wonder if there is more drag loss with a torque converter.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

You car-understanding goons are so helpful. Who is up for a challenge?
Long story short:
Went on a road trip. Had shudder when braking (50 miles from home)
Les Schwab said: rear brakes. I said: fix it. They said: LOL no. Not on Saturday.
I kept driving to Colorado (1200 miles) and Firestone said ok. We will fix it.
Car still had shudder. I called back. Firestone said: steering wheel = front brakes. Pedals = rear brakes. Shudder more in front.
Came home. (1200 miles).
Went to Firestone here who said : yeah you need front brakes. Also LOL we hosed your back brakes up. Lucky your family didnt die. We will fix it free (no poo poo) and fix your front ones.
Took the car in. Went to pick it up and theres a knock you can feel under the passenger floorboard when braking.
They said: must be defective rotor. Try again tomorrow. Replaced the rotor. Knocking continues.
They said: must be axle joint (cv?). Try again tomorrow. Replaced axle shaft or whatever. Knocking continues.
They said: must be bad caliper. Try again tomorrow. Replaced caliper. Knocking gone. (Yay)
Drove to Costco and home knocking is back. Wtf, mate?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

otter posted:

You car-understanding goons are so helpful. Who is up for a challenge?
Long story short:
Went on a road trip. Had shudder when braking (50 miles from home)
Les Schwab said: rear brakes. I said: fix it. They said: LOL no. Not on Saturday.
I kept driving to Colorado (1200 miles) and Firestone said ok. We will fix it.
Car still had shudder. I called back. Firestone said: steering wheel = front brakes. Pedals = rear brakes. Shudder more in front.
Came home. (1200 miles).
Went to Firestone here who said : yeah you need front brakes. Also LOL we hosed your back brakes up. Lucky your family didnt die. We will fix it free (no poo poo) and fix your front ones.
Took the car in. Went to pick it up and theres a knock you can feel under the passenger floorboard when braking.
They said: must be defective rotor. Try again tomorrow. Replaced the rotor. Knocking continues.
They said: must be axle joint (cv?). Try again tomorrow. Replaced axle shaft or whatever. Knocking continues.
They said: must be bad caliper. Try again tomorrow. Replaced caliper. Knocking gone. (Yay)
Drove to Costco and home knocking is back. Wtf, mate?

Sounds like they loosened something off and didn't tighten it back up.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Okay, guess I'm diagnosing my aircon and would appreciate any advice folk had

2004 audi A4 b6 1.8t

Aircon refuses to turn on full ice cold mode, stays in economy mode, not sure whether that actually runs the compressor or not yet

No abnormal sounds from what I can tell, recently did coil packs and replacement of coolant pipe but it worked fine after that.

Its been pressure checked each year at service but I don't think it's been topped up in the last 8 years- so I guess that's a high chance that's the issue?

I was going to go out and test the relevant fuses/relays as my first port of call and then look at the stuff by the engine to see if there's any obvious problem then a buddy had told me to look into the pressure switch

Anything else to look at?

Can I just turn the accessory belt by hand safely?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Ok Comboomer posted:

this is a stupid curiosity question, apologies if it's inappropriate: are BMW's/ZF's torque converter automatic transmissions, the ones they've been putting in like all their cars like the M240i, etc, really "as good as or better than" a real dual clutch (like of the sort VAG uses) when using paddles? I've heard people say they're as quick and precise to shift without any of the downsides or idiosyncracies of PDK but I don't believe it.

If they're so much better then why would VAG, etc stick to using a complex, occasionally temperamental, relatively fragile system vs the relative bulletproof-ness of a torque converter? It's not like ZF wouldn't sell them a transmission if they wanted one.

They're better if you are starting from a clean sheet, but they're not better if you have invested a ton of time effort and money in dual clutch transmissions. VW makes DSG gearboxes in Kassel at an internal plant that employs like 16,000 people and moving to other transmissions would be expensive.

plus the really good zf transmission that everyone talks about, the 8HPXX, is longitudinal only and could maybe work on MLB, but VW uses DSG on FF MQB as well

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They're better if you are starting from a clean sheet, but they're not better if you have invested a ton of time effort and money in dual clutch transmissions. VW makes DSG gearboxes in Kassel at an internal plant that employs like 16,000 people and moving to other transmissions would be expensive.

plus the really good zf transmission that everyone talks about, the 8HPXX, is longitudinal only and could maybe work on MLB, but VW uses DSG on FF MQB as well

makes sense, thanks

so did KIA/Hyundai do a similar thing? Is that why they've got DSGs in all their crossovers now? Did they do it to distinguish themselves from all the brands using CUVs and 10-speeds?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

VelociBacon posted:

Sounds like they loosened something off and didn't tighten it back up.

My thought as well. Check all of your caliper and caliper bracket bolts. If you can get the car up in the air, give everything a good manhandling and see if anything moves around when it shouldn't be able to.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

My thought as well. Check all of your caliper and caliper bracket bolts. If you can get the car up in the air, give everything a good manhandling and see if anything moves around when it shouldn't be able to.

They insisted that they checked everything for tightness 3x. The manager, the A-tech, and the original tech who worked on it. They were all stumped. I don't have the ability to take anything apart and diagnose it.
What does one do at this point? They had my car for 4 days and still couldn't fix it correctly. Should I take it to another shop and have a second opinion? Can I send Firestone a bill for whatever it costs to fix it? Do I call Firestone Corporate and explain the issue I'm having?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I was changing the 12v battery in the back of my Prius and ended up accidentally breaking the little sense lead wire in the battery harness. (Snapped the wire off right where it connects to the little white plastic clip.) The car powers up fine though I have a few extra dashboard lights on (battery and "exclamation point through car."). My understanding is that the sense lead has something to do with regulating voltage, but it's not a total disaster if it's disconnected? I'm in the middle of a road trip, how far can I drive like this?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't know how critical it is but... ever crimped a wire before? Seems like something you could fix pretty quickly with parts available at any Walmart or Harbor Freight, let alone auto parts store.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't know how critical it is but... ever crimped a wire before? Seems like something you could fix pretty quickly with parts available at any Walmart or Harbor Freight, let alone auto parts store.

I have not, but I am willing to try! I was also considering soldering it? (Something else I've never done)

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 23, 2021

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you've never done either, crimping is easier to do in general, and far easier to do in a parking lot / side of the road situation because you just need some hand-operated tools instead of a power source to heat an iron. The factory connection between the pin and wire would have been a crimp too.

Got a photo of the damage and where the wire needs to connect?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Seems like a nice, chunky alligator clip might be enough to solve the problem until it can be properly addressed at home

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

If you've never done either, crimping is easier to do in general, and far easier to do in a parking lot / side of the road situation because you just need some hand-operated tools instead of a power source to heat an iron. The factory connection between the pin and wire would have been a crimp too.

Got a photo of the damage and where the wire needs to connect?

Yeah, it just broke clean off at the very end. I used a paperclip to get the little metal part out of the plastic end.

Needs to connect to the thing on the left below

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 23, 2021

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Update: I managed to crimp a basic terminal on the end of that wire and got what seems to be a solution for now. And now I know how to crimp wire! Thanks a big one, goon sirs

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Success story!

That looks for all the world like a standard 1/4" female spade connector. Whatever connector you have on there will get you by for now (and, honestly, probably a lot longer) but if you want it to look like it did originally you can get an uninsulated version of the connector and put it back in the same terminal block you took it out of.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ja, you'd cut the connector off that you just installed; feed the white wire back through the Jones plug (taking care that you thread it through the back); crimp on a new spade connector, and pull the connector back into the jones plug housing.

There. Now you're a pro.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

And just because no one else mentioned it: nothing in a car gets soldered except for the green circuit boards. The wiring is all crimped, no solder. Solder is weak and will cause wires to break in high vibration environments.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ryanrs posted:

And just because no one else mentioned it: nothing in a car gets soldered except for the green circuit boards. The wiring is all crimped, no solder. Solder is weak and will cause wires to break in high vibration environments.

Solder is not at all weak, it's just that most people can't solder properly nor have the stuff to do it properly.

There are plenty of soldered connection in a lot of high vibration and vehicle applications including: https://nepp.nasa.gov/docuploads/06AA01BA-FC7E-4094-AE829CE371A7B05D/NASA-STD-8739.3.pdf

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Yes, it is acceptable to solder to turret terminals in your car, should you happen to find any. I think there's also another NASA guide for lacing your wiring harness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
1999 Honda Civic. Car has sat for about 6 months, 6 year old battery in it was toast (wouldn't hold a charge after jumping it) so put a new battery in. Right now it reads 12.6V when sitting and 14.1V when the car is running. However, when I turn the headlights on, the interior lights start to dim, and when I turn stuff like the A/C and radio on, the engine starts to shutter a bit. Aren't those symptoms of something in the battery circuit not being right? I have no real experience diagnosing battery issues but I do have a multimeter if it makes sense to check other things.