Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1418197642543304706

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1418249478939844619

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

quote:

Security officials have said law enforcement action is based on evidence and has nothing to do with an individual's political stance, background or profession.

seems like it’s entirely based on that??

the article is whatever, who knows what’s true and what they’re leaving out, but lol that they’re using British colonial law to crack down on this stuff

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Hong Kong is still almost entirely still using the British colonial government structures and China is bound by treaty to let them remain (lol). They removed the imperial governor and the 30% of the legislature he was allowed to appoint unilaterally but none of the bad things about Hong Kong are new.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

FrancisFukyomama posted:

reminds me of when I went to China and found Lawson’s all over the place and then learned it was a huge multi billion dollar company in japan, while being from northeastern Ohio I mostly knew it as being that store boomers are nostalgic for for being a better version of circle k

every person born in Asia believes 7-11 is Japanese and would be shocked to find out it's from Texas (but is owned by a Japanese conglomerate now).

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Albright also was a major player in lying about Yugoslav/Serb warcrimes and Milosevic leading a genocide against Kosovo/Albanians, giving full-throated support of NATO's illegal bombing, obfuscating the KLA's much more rampant warcrimes and ethnic cleansing, and explaining why we had to bomb civilian targets

I loving hate this bitch

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://mil.news.sina.com.cn/china/2021-07-22/doc-ikqcfnca8323899.shtml

Using drones to restore cell service to flooded areas.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Did Western media just get really bad at creating a bunch of wargames and technical specification coffee-table books about the PLA, or have I just been missing a lot of them?

Like, you could find out a lot about the Soviet Navy and Air Force just from playing Harpoon and reading Tom Clancy/Larry Bond, but setting aside "The Bear and the Dragon", where's all the Jane's Defense pieces on the PLAN missiles and carriers and aircraft?
those groups still exist. the china maritime studies institute are the actual U.S. guys who do that kind of stuff:

https://twitter.com/AndrewSErickson/status/1417952014307368963

the modern day "harpoon" is CMANO. do you remember baloogan? he was really into that game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4IisWABU-Y

there isn't any popularizer like tom clancy though. there was a guy from the new america foundation who wrote a clancybook about the PLAN using container ships to hide their d00ds to sneak into our bases and kill our d00ds. and then they hack the gibson so all the modern warships don't work, so the U.S. has to refurbish old mothballed ships like in battlestar galactica

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

have the Chinese plans for the next few years included expansion of the social safety net? I’ve heard the robust Mao era one was mostly eliminated during the 90s though Xi seems to be stepping up on expanding govt programs in general

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

there isn't any popularizer like tom clancy though. there was a guy from the new america foundation who wrote a clancybook about the PLAN using container ships to hide their d00ds to sneak into our bases and kill our d00ds.

lol that’s just straight up stolen from red storm where the Soviets invade Iceland to take down SOSUS via disguised cargo ship

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol that’s just straight up stolen from red storm where the Soviets invade Iceland to take down SOSUS via disguised cargo ship

And it got ripped off in a bunch of video games later https://youtu.be/jGBU1URjqnw

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Ghost Fleet literally has China teens hacking into the 'US military using some sort of VR out of Neuromancer. Then China conquers Hawaii by sneaking in troops on container ships, just like how the USSR captures Iceland in Red Storm Rising. There's a great scene of a US fleet getting owned by ballistic missiles. It's also very insistent that China in the book is no longer governed by the Communist part, which today makes it seem a bit dated.

I didn't finish it because the authors get weirdly horny for a the widow of a troop who is stuck in occupied Hawaii. They love describing her fit body, how she seduces and kills Chinese soldiers, and how she self harms.

2034 is the other WW3 US novel that got some attention recently. It's less specific about the technical stuff compared to Ghost Fleet. It's goofy in it's own way, but seems to have some insight in how declining global power is making parts of the US establishment insane. India ends up intervening to stop the US and China from a full nuclear exchange for example. Ridiculous, but self-aware enough to realize the US isn't going to be the good guy or winner of a world war.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

And it got ripped off in a bunch of video games later https://youtu.be/jGBU1URjqnw

lol Tom Clancy has one decent idea and everyone steals it

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

it's an old commie trick. they don't play by the rules

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Atrocious Joe posted:

I didn't finish it because the authors get weirdly horny for a the widow of a troop who is stuck in occupied Hawaii. They love describing her fit body, how she seduces and kills Chinese soldiers, and how she self harms.
what the gently caress

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Wing Loong is the same UAV sold to the Saudi and UAE (both I and II models)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

what the gently caress

look they just really, really copied all of red storm rising's iceland plots

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

what the gently caress

I still have it from the library so have some excerpts

tw for self harm. I don't want to go all YA author about content like this, but I was not expecting it in a pulpy techno-thriller with footnotes referencing Wired articles.

and her killing a Chinese officer who grew up in the US by using her female wiles after he hires her to teach him surfing. The Directorate is the post-Communist Chinese government.

Atrocious Joe has issued a correction as of 23:48 on Jul 22, 2021

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

speaking of the bear and the dragon i started re-reading it a few nights ago. so far nothing too insane but there was a very funny sequence where a russian cop is like "oh i better call up odessa a city in russia on the black sea where all our crime and drugs come from". i didn't remember that clancy was a novorossiya maximalist!

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

what the gently caress

This happens in like every world War 3 book by every author.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Source4Leko posted:

This happens in like every world War 3 book by every author.

a widow self harming?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

indigi posted:

a widow self harming?

I can’t remember all the details of red storm rising but I’m still willing to wager a “yes”

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

all ww3 literature is going to have weird sex stuff

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

Lostconfused posted:

i'm the american soldier carrying the us flag into the fight at the battle of burger king home of the whopper

Edit: i'm the BTR that drives up a vertical pier side to crush a car B)

Lor has issued a correction as of 00:48 on Jul 23, 2021

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Atrocious Joe posted:

I still have it from the library so have some excerpts

tw for self harm. I don't want to go all YA author about content like this, but I was not expecting it in a pulpy techno-thriller with footnotes referencing Wired articles.

Wait, so the widow doesn't try to kill herself over her dead husband? She did it before when the husband was alive?

What the hell is Swiss nanoderm cream. #oddlyspecific

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

lobster shirt posted:

all ww3 literature is going to have weird sex stuff

even the Battletech books have weird sex stuff.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

we should stick to warhammer 40k where the books are so scared of sex stuff worshipping the god of loving manifests as fighting real good

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

space marines can't even gently caress at all, they've all got big gross silicone cocks

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

indigi posted:

a widow self harming?

Ok no thats true but a female character being sexy and her or other charaters rape or sexual experiences being described in totally unnecessary detail. That detail is an extra bit of something.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Know what I love about military widows? I'm still alive, and their husbands stay dead.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I can’t remember all the details of red storm rising but I’m still willing to wager a “yes”

In Red Storm Rising it was an Icelandic woman who gets assaulted by Soviet troops and the American protagonist rescues her and makes her keep the rape baby after Keflavik gets liberated

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

In Red Storm Rising it was an Icelandic woman who gets assaulted by Soviet troops and the American protagonist rescues her and makes her keep the rape baby after Keflavik gets liberated

was she a widower tho? that was the detail i couldn't remember

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1418134690041581570

quote:

The three-year investigation revealed for the first time the inner workings of Operation Fox Hunt, a shadowy fugitive-apprehension program that is a pillar of President Xi Jinping’s anti-corruption campaign.

But it underscored something more troubling: the extent to which China is brazenly persecuting Chinese people around the world, defying other nations’ laws and borders with impunity. And it illuminated a little-known cloak-and-dagger battle between Chinese operatives and American agents on U.S. soil amid growing tensions between the two countries.

Launched in 2014, Operation Fox Hunt and a program called Operation Sky Net claim to have caught more than 8,000 international fugitives. The targets are not murderers or drug lords, but Chinese public officials and businesspeople accused — justifiably and not — of financial crimes. Some of them have set up high-rolling lives overseas with lush mansions and millions in offshore accounts.
:thunk:

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 03:44 on Jul 23, 2021

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
:thunk::thunk::thunk:

https://twitter.com/ContentionNews/status/1418326677424312328

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ah yes the reverse Dark Knight

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
totalitarianism is when you extradite white collar criminals

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

gradenko_2000 posted:

If I remember right she was pregnant before the soviets even showed up, the father was some dude who ran off or something

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

a fine example of the "what if this thing that objectively owns is wrong and bad actually" genre

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

it rules how people think biden wants more irs money to do cool stuff like that when its actually so the government can better harass the fat cats who make an astonishing four digits a year off of ebay sales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've known for a while now that The Epoch Times runs "China Uncovered", which is basically just 24/7 PRC scaremongering

today I discovered that they also do "America Uncovered", which... covers "news" and punditry aimed at American events

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb-WgnFCOI0

apparently their take on COVID as of these days is "the media is hyping up the Delta variant to be scarier than it actually is"