Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I finally caved and watched the trailers. Looks incredible. That's all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Mister Speaker posted:

I finally caved and watched the trailers. Looks incredible. That's all.

same. was gonna go dark, made a compromise with myself to only watch it once. maybe just get...a little dunc

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

535pm...going back for more trailer

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I can't wait to get home and watch it on my TV instead of on my phone in a bathroom stall at work

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

FBS posted:

I can't wait to get home and watch it on my TV instead of on my phone in a bathroom stall at work

I hope you had the sound up so it sounded like you were dropping a deuce and whispering to some guy named Paul

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Uncle Enzo posted:

This actually does make sense. On Caladan the Harkonnens would have had to fight a united, entrenched enemy on their home turf. Leto would have been able to recruit at will from the general populace and had the support of the power base of an entire planet. Transplanting him to Arrakis removes those advantages.

I've read the book several times, I know the hidden reasons why these things happen. I'm wondering about the overt, stated reasons. I guess no one really believes the emperor just up and decided to take Arrakis from the harkos and give it to Leto, the fact the situation makes no sense is clear from the characters pov.

So for the Arrakis coup I know the emperor needs his involvement to be quiet. But the harkos openly deposed the emperor's designated fiefholder? Isn't that acting against the imperium? Again I know they're actually in cahoots, I mean isn't that a huge upset in their power system if you're allowed to openly steal what the emperor just barely gave someone. Like, why bother trying to win the favor of the emperor if people are allowed to just steal the favor right under his nose? Does kanly just give the baron the right to do whatever he wants to the Atreides short of atomics? Doesn't that just make kanly a free pass to steal whatever you want?

Yeah, in the books they call it the assassin's war. A feudal monarchy is really only one step up from chaotic lawlessness. The only thing keeping the fraufreluches together is the Landsraad, the guild and the sisterhood, and they Are all doing it for self-serving reasons.

Edit: also the H were just cleaning up a demesne that had sadly devolved into chaotic fighting due to an episode of violence sparked by a trusted retainer with a secret chip on his shoulder. If the H hadn't restored order, spice production would have been even more affected and think what that would have done to your balance sheets.

exmachina fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 22, 2021

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Rebecca Ferguson seems nice

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I was going to do a parody thread and even did a bit of work but no way.
I'm too into it for real and frankly so are many other goons. I'm just going to savor it.

It will be good even if it's not really, I'm a fanatic pretty much.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Yeah the trailer was really amazing, it looks good. The director etc. is all lined up to be great.

Can "Groovelord Neato" gently caress off out of the thread, he's such a downer nerd bitch.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Groovelord Neato is an Essential Poster

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Rebecca Ferguson seems nice

Yeah, I was sort of weirded out by her as the choice but the more I see the more I am starting to become convinced that she'll end up the definitive motion picture version of what is essentially the book's most important character. She really looks like she's giving it her all.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Yeah the trailer was really amazing, it looks good. The director etc. is all lined up to be great.

Can "Groovelord Neato" gently caress off out of the thread, he's such a downer nerd bitch.

he has RLM thread poisoning.

The thread about RLM and movies that doesn't like RLM or movies.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

skasion posted:

It’s completely accepted under the forms of kanly that the Harkonnens won’t take their expulsion lying down. The emperor’s formal order to Leto is “to take possession of this planet and end all dispute”. This is a euphemism for military occupation. It’s implicit that he will need to take the planet with force and put down resistance. Change of fief is expected by everyone to be violent to some extent, which is why there’s an imperial official (Judge of the Change) on the spot to arbitrate the fighting and keep it from escalating into total war. The Landsraad and galaxy at large didn’t expect a full scale invasion, but that’s because of practical concerns like full scale invasions being ridiculously expensive, not because it’s morally or politically off limits to them to attack another house in properly declared kanly. The only things the Baron conceals are 1) the emperor’s involvement and 2) that the Duke refused to accept quarter and exile before he died. He totally wants other houses to know that he did all this. The Baron is obviously on the ruthless side by the standards of space nobility, but his actions are just pushing the envelope and not outrageous to anyone who isn’t directly concerned, at least as long as the emperor’s complicity is concealed. That’s how ritual vendetta works in their culture.

The Baron is Donald Trump (if he was actually competent ). The other nobility hate/dislike him because he is crass, and "in-your-face" with his actions and decor. They don't hate him for anything that he has ACTUALLY DONE.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

some rad lore posts on the past 2 pages

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

The more that comes out the more confidence in this I have. They're actually adapting it to the screen, instead of the attempted literal translation (or transliteration) of the other versions.

We need to see the status quo of Harkonnen rule on Arrakis. We need to watch Leto decide to take the bait. We need the pomp of the official acceptance of the ordered move. We need to see the relationships between Gurney/Duncan/Hawat/Yueh/Leto/Jessica/Paul. We need to care about these people and understand what they're facing before poo poo really pops off.

It's fine in the book to be dropped in the middle of things, everyone already committed. It's terrible for a film. Part of why the other versions are such characterless slogs is that the whole first act is completely on rails - everyone is just doing what they decided to do before we started watching, and nobody makes any new choices. Pair that with nebulous stakes and confusing worldbuilding and it's a wonder even fans who understand everything can sit through it.

The only thing I'm not completely on board with is Helmet Paul - but I'm thinking that's got to be a vision. I like the idea of armor in Dune, it makes perfect sense for the Imperial soldier trained in shield fighting (and/or having to go without because of the worms). But not as much for the Fremen, and we don't see them in armor otherwise. So I'm hoping it's a clever sleight of hand, with Paul seeing that he'll lead Fremen in battle, but wrongly projecting his Imperial ideas of fighting on to the future. If not... I can live with it. Maybe it's just the design, every other weirdass helmet in the movie looks awesome.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Johnny Aztec posted:

The Baron is Donald Trump (if he was actually competent ). The other nobility hate/dislike him because he is crass, and "in-your-face" with his actions and decor. They don't hate him for anything that he has ACTUALLY DONE.

Tbh the Baron isn’t all that competent, he persistently ignores the Fremen threat even though he knows his enemies took it very seriously. In the end the emperor misinterprets his incompetence as active collusion with the Atreides, he accuses the Baron of masterminding the whole affair to lure him here and coup him with a Fremen army.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Also like Trump, the Baron is a hugely hypocritical snob who thinks the Fremen are subhuman rabble.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I figured everyone realized the reality of the situation was surprised people were mad about that. I have a Dune av.

Regarde Aduck posted:

he has RLM thread poisoning.

The thread about RLM and movies that doesn't like RLM or movies.

Movies are mostly bad. This will not be one of those.

I love this shot so much the scale is insane.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 23, 2021

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

DP Fraser got his reps in on the Death Star in Rogue One.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Golden Armor Paul looks rad and seems totally in line with the Atreides love of conspicuous gallantry.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

loving lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfe_g92JAOs
i had this in the background and the video audio started playing with the citypop talking about rolling sands and i though dennis went with a really hosed music choice

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Golden Armor Paul looks rad and seems totally in line with the Atreides love of conspicuous gallantry.

I've said before that I'm pretty sure the Atreides are meant to have a Round Table vibe, with storied and skilled noble warriors and a history of being unafraid to get personally involved and put themselves in danger.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Aww, man. Villeneuve is going to make me care about these people. I'm really not ready for that.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I wonder if the golden armor is also gonna be a reference to the golden lion throne

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

Aww, man. Villeneuve is going to make me care about these people. I'm really not ready for that.

The one that hit me hardest was Friend Jamis :(

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Hey Dune Vocalization Lady. I need some advice on operating a rocket powered sled.

"CALL EVEL KNIEVEEEEEEEL!"

That's good news, I will. And I'm thinking of going on OnlyFans for the first time later, any idea what I should expect?

"ALL HORNY PEEEEEEEOPLE!"

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

No Mods No Masters posted:

There is really not much reason I can see for an adaptation of the first half only to approach 3 hours. It's understandable to want maximum DUNC but good pacing is probably the most important thing or else it just becomes a hobbit nightmare

The original was already a novel infamous for its length, density, and impenetrability, especially for science fiction and its era of publication. Even standard novels don't make smooth transitions straight to film, because they're so much longer and denser; a short story is much closer to a film's runtime. That's why the best novel adaptations into films do tons of excision, consolidation of characters, and abridgement. Long works like this tend to fit more comfortably into miniseries length; I believe Stephen King has usually favored miniseries adaptations of his novels for that reason (and some of his best adaptations into films were of his short stories), and supposedly so did Herbert for Dune.

The Hobbit on the other hand was by far the shortest of the LOTR books. It's literally a children's story. Peter Jackson just stretched it out into three films because he wanted to recapture his success of adapting the main trilogy into a trilogy of films, or whatever.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

2:18-2:19 in the trailer looks like a lasgun being used on a harvester.

The explosion between the two frigates being channeled by their shields at 2:05 is neat. Going to suck for all those infantry on the ground between them.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
The other houses major hate the Baron because he's nouveau riche, not because he's a slaver/rapist.

I can already hear people going "This one part of Dune reminds me of this other movie" and I'm going to have to stop myself from tearing into them.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

phasmid posted:

I can already hear people going "This one part of Dune reminds me of this other movie" and I'm going to have to stop myself from tearing into them.

Someone's going to write a troll article about how Dune rips off so much of Star Wars, just to see how many nerds' heads they can make explode.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

phasmid posted:

don't stop yourself, gune, rip and tear

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Momoa’s quippy jokes are supposed to frame him as the guy who respects his lords but still treats them like real people. I assume it’s for pathos when he gets ganked but will probably have the bridging effect between paul and the fremen that he was supposed to have but frank didn’t know how to write it without it being trite. Honestly I expect Denis to lean into the class struggle aspect of it more than any other adaptations. I very rarely have this kind of trust and hype behind a project but god drat. I haven’t cared about a movie this much outside of like episode 1 or the lotr series.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TK-42-1 posted:

Momoa’s quippy jokes are supposed to frame him as the guy who respects his lords but still treats them like real people. I assume it’s for pathos when he gets ganked but will probably have the bridging effect between paul and the fremen that he was supposed to have but frank didn’t know how to write it without it being trite. Honestly I expect Denis to lean into the class struggle aspect of it more than any other adaptations. I very rarely have this kind of trust and hype behind a project but god drat. I haven’t cared about a movie this much outside of like episode 1 or the lotr series.

Oh absolutely he will, and climate change stuff, too. Villanueve is pretty cunning, imo, and I totally echo your trust/hype

Prolonged Priapism posted:

The more that comes out the more confidence in this I have. They're actually adapting it to the screen, instead of the attempted literal translation (or transliteration) of the other versions.

We need to see the status quo of Harkonnen rule on Arrakis. We need to watch Leto decide to take the bait. We need the pomp of the official acceptance of the ordered move. We need to see the relationships between Gurney/Duncan/Hawat/Yueh/Leto/Jessica/Paul. We need to care about these people and understand what they're facing before poo poo really pops off.

It's fine in the book to be dropped in the middle of things, everyone already committed. It's terrible for a film. Part of why the other versions are such characterless slogs is that the whole first act is completely on rails - everyone is just doing what they decided to do before we started watching, and nobody makes any new choices. Pair that with nebulous stakes and confusing worldbuilding and it's a wonder even fans who understand everything can sit through it.

The only thing I'm not completely on board with is Helmet Paul - but I'm thinking that's got to be a vision. I like the idea of armor in Dune, it makes perfect sense for the Imperial soldier trained in shield fighting (and/or having to go without because of the worms). But not as much for the Fremen, and we don't see them in armor otherwise. So I'm hoping it's a clever sleight of hand, with Paul seeing that he'll lead Fremen in battle, but wrongly projecting his Imperial ideas of fighting on to the future. If not... I can live with it. Maybe it's just the design, every other weirdass helmet in the movie looks awesome.

Completely loving yes to all of this.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 23, 2021

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Fuschia tude posted:

Peter Jackson just stretched it out into three films because he wanted to recapture his success of adapting the main trilogy into a trilogy of films, or whatever.

I think 3 films just allowed him to more efficiently dismantle the labor protections of the entire NZ film industry

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Spinz posted:

I was going to do a parody thread and even did a bit of work but no way.
I'm too into it for real and frankly so are many other goons. I'm just going to savor it.

It will be good even if it's not really, I'm a fanatic pretty much.

Post your Content here this is the good dunc thread for good duncposting. We've been photoshopping different faces onto the god emperor for years now

Prolonged Priapism posted:

The only thing I'm not completely on board with is Helmet Paul - but I'm thinking that's got to be a vision.

That shot of him is totally going to immediately cut into him waking up from a spice-mare in sietch. It's jihad

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 23, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fuschia tude posted:

The original was already a novel infamous for its length, density, and impenetrability, especially for science fiction and its era of publication. Even standard novels don't make smooth transitions straight to film, because they're so much longer and denser; a short story is much closer to a film's runtime. That's why the best novel adaptations into films do tons of excision, consolidation of characters, and abridgement. Long works like this tend to fit more comfortably into miniseries length; I believe Stephen King has usually favored miniseries adaptations of his novels for that reason (and some of his best adaptations into films were of his short stories), and supposedly so did Herbert for Dune.

The Hobbit on the other hand was by far the shortest of the LOTR books. It's literally a children's story. Peter Jackson just stretched it out into three films because he wanted to recapture his success of adapting the main trilogy into a trilogy of films, or whatever.

Tbf I think the hobbit would have been incredibly cramped in one movie, it's not long but a lot of stuff happens. Two would have been just right, and the names were right there

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Dune 3 books
LOTR 6 books
Hobbit 1 book

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

40% of lotr is landscape descriptions, and 10% is lyric poetry

E: the first book of dune is being done as two movies, insh'allah

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

sebmojo posted:

Tbf I think the hobbit would have been incredibly cramped in one movie, it's not long but a lot of stuff happens. Two would have been just right, and the names were right there
The Hobbit II: Back Again!

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

TK-42-1 posted:

I very rarely have this kind of trust and hype behind a project but god drat. I haven’t cared about a movie this much outside of like episode 1 or the lotr series.

My dude, this was me and cyberpunk 2077 about this time last year :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
if i'm still alive when the movie comes out somebody had better hold my fuckin' hand through the whole thing

HOLD MY FUCKEN HAND DUDE