Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3
Pretty sure I'm going to go with self cast Orb of Winter or whatever the new frozen orb is called, just trying to decide between Occultist, since it escaped the nerfbat, or Elementalist...
I figure if it sucks I can swap to vortex if I'm Occultist at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Occultist has nice cold buffs

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Enkis arc … hierophant ?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, yes. I did. It's no longer a witch, so I shan't be playing it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
GGG hates my favorite class and they hate you for using it for anything besides cdot or minions.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

search engine posted:

I'm sure some people will go for CI or totems, but 80%+ chaos resistance is attainable on a completed build without even that big of a budget. At that point you're taking <2.5% of your life in damage per cast. Given that it hits hard and generates a decent number of hits against packs, both leech and life on hit could easily counter that. Even decent regen could do it if your cast speed wasn't too high.

I think you misread the gem. It doesn't deal 12% of your life as damage to you. It deals 40% of your life as damage to you. "Take 40% of maximum life and 25% of maximum energy shield as chaos damage". So, 80% chaos res would reduce that to 8% and 5%, which is still a lot.

I wonder if Traps or Mines would prevent you from taking damage? Traps have life, do mines count as having life?

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Mentat Radnor posted:

I think I'm going to leguestart with Hierophant Forbidden Rite totems, going crit and MoM. Soul Mantle, 2x Kikuzaru, the 20% reduced effect of curse on you node, and Self-Flagellation jewel looks like a setup that could smoothly get into red maps, and the single-target damage should be even better than Dark Pact if I'm interpreting the skill's mechanics correctly.

Karv was building it out in PoB on stream and it looks solid, although he seemed to prefer Scion over Hiero.

As for the patch notes, I'm happy with the general direction and motivations behind most of the changes, but disappointed with some of the specifics and glaring lack of changes to aurabots / stackers.

As others have pointed out, the large amount of timer-based content puts explicit motivations in the game to move and kill as fast as possible (beyond just farming currency per hour). Not addressing that in this patch seems like a mistake. And of course, the arbitrary grind length before you can set up the atlas to your liking feels too long and will feel a bit longer now.

Awakened gem changes just feel rude. I would rather they nerf the numbers down to the same as non-awakened and keep the interesting extra mechanics!

Anyway, heart in the right place, details clumsy and many problems still ignored. Meh, I'll still have fun and try new builds.

Just a couple of things to consider about your starter idea, but the 2 rings and -20 curse node do not give you curse immunity, this has been pointed out in the thread but you will still take self curses at 80% strength and map curses between 20 and 60% strength. Your totems will also live for about 2 seconds until you get a pair of chaos resist cluster jewels which may or may not be in high demand for this new skill.

I think FR is one of the few gems in the new 19 that has actual potential, but not as a starter. Self casting would require either CI, which cuts the damage way down since ES is worth less than half what life is, or getting close to 90 Chaos Resist with cluster jewels and a timeless jewel. I think you would have pretty good defenses with the last setup, but then you are heavily invested in life and Chaos Resist, making it hard to work in Crit and spell damage.

In a crazy min-max scenario totems can have around 60k life which would be amazing for fueling FR. Do they inherit your life leech? I know they do not pass it on to you, but to keep them topped off. Depending on cast speed they will loose between 20 and 30% of their life each second, so life leech + sitting on consecrated group would be huge for their time to live against bosses.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

McFrugal posted:

I feel like there's no way Forbidden Rite is going to feel good without going CI.

Here's a PoB of a self-cast witch I've been working on, with 2.2 mil Sirius DPS. I'm still working on it (you've gotta pay 750 mana a cast in chaos damage because you're using ivory tower, but only have 450 base regen before flasks) but it's certainly viable. I had a hierphant version with better mana regen and tankiness, but worse DPS aswell.

https://pastebin.com/q5URZz8h

This is only 82% chaos resist, which is a little high honestly. You can either go to staff crit and switch to Grey spire (+4%), or switch the shield to a +max chaos resist shield (Saffell's Frame is a unique with +4%) and use arrogance for the reservation instead. If you're not doing Ivory Tower shenagegains and just tanking the damage to your life pool, divine flesh gets you to 90% easily, but timeless jewels are a pain.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 23, 2021

search engine
Jun 16, 2020

McFrugal posted:

I think you misread the gem. It doesn't deal 12% of your life as damage to you. It deals 40% of your life as damage to you. "Take 40% of maximum life and 25% of maximum energy shield as chaos damage". So, 80% chaos res would reduce that to 8% and 5%, which is still a lot.

I wonder if Traps or Mines would prevent you from taking damage? Traps have life, do mines count as having life?

Youch, good point. I was looking at the life converted to base damage. Yeah 8-10% is on the high end of what you'd expect to be countered by a combo of leech + regen for something like 3 casts per second. It could be done but it's not clear the damage gained would be worth the trouble. Traps and mines don't count as 'you' for most purposes so very likely they'd avoid the self damage part. Last I recall, they both have exactly 1 life.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

McFrugal posted:

Should, but they'd also be using the trap or mine's life/es values for their damage, so odds are it'd be way lower than yours I would think.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you guys are looking at this all wrong. we simply use wicked ward and occultist to have really high ES Regen and a low recharge cool down, but also a high rate. then we stack life, es, and specifically life regen such as the lifesurge cluster notable, and also running a vitality and stone golem, as well as leeching. this way we don't have to use CI or totems at all

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
seems like the only real downside is not being able to use zealots oath. really wish there was a like, 'all hp regen halved, but regen applies to energy shield when health is full' version somewhere

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You
The Allcraft interview with Chris Wilson was unironically the best interview GGG has ever done for the game, and I very highly recommend anyone interested in the future of PoE check it out. Chris was asked actually difficult, real questions (ziggy sucks), that were blunt about the state of things. He gave compelling, well thought out answers to every single one of them, and demonstrated the passion he still has for the game. It pretty much single-handedly convinced me to give this league a sincere shot.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Magus42 posted:

Should, but they'd also be using the trap or mine's life/es values for their damage, so odds are it'd be way lower than yours I would think.

That's true... It'd be strictly worse than CI in that case.

I feel like Totems are the way to go, especially when leveling.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

poemdexter posted:

I assume he's poppin ritalin to stay up 24 hours for an entire 7 days. Not sleeping that long is EXTREMELY bad for your health and you can't "catch up" on sleep afterward. Your brain is just turbo hosed forever. But it's Kripp so who cares.

I'm not convinced a man can go 7 days without tuggin', that will be the true test of endurance.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Zero VGS posted:

I'm not convinced a man can go 7 days without tuggin', that will be the true test of endurance.

I'm sure he's got his buildplan optimized so it'll be discrete.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
He's probably not going to piss or poo poo on stream either, I think he might excuse himself for a few minutes now and again.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Vulpes posted:

He's probably not going to piss or poo poo on stream either, I think he might excuse himself for a few minutes now and again.

On Twitch no, but on OnlyFans...

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

can anyone point me to a build for the bouncy self hurty purple stuff?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

victrix posted:

can anyone point me to a build for the bouncy self hurty purple stuff?

my plan is to do it as totems. level as holy flame totems/purifying flame, switch to freezing pulse totems, then once i have the gear switch to forbidden rite totems.

i dont think theres a solid way to play forbidden rite as a starter unless maybe you level as ed/c or hexblast occultist and then switch over?

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Drakyn posted:

I was planning on giving Vortex Occultist a shot in this league and I'm sort of scrambling a bit here; any chance there's a guide you recommend for this? I've found a few things googling but I don't trust myself to tell the bad from the good.

I posted my GCBF setup from last league a few pages back. People were saying you need >10 APS for the mirage guys to finish channeling so that the final BF burst happens; I'd personally go over that a little more to account for latency, server ticks, etc.

This is not the 'standard' GCBF as seen on poe.ninja; my variant with the Thread of Hope helps hit your attack speed breakpoints when your gear's bad (the totem effect node affects your Ancestral Protector totem, which buffs your attack speed). It also helped cheat out another 20% impale chance on the tree, but that's no longer needed with the impale support changes.

facepalmolive posted:

I was just gonna say, have you met our good friend and savior GC/BF?

Mine was more budget than that. These are prices ~3 weeks in.
Paradoxica (phys%/qual%), much cheaper than aspd: 4ex
+1 GC enchanted abyssus: 4ex
Clusters: 8ex if we're being conservative, probably more like 4-6ex
6L chest with crit% and life: 5ex maybe?
Stygian vise, Thread of Hope, Kitava's Teachings, Fortify boots (not needed), aspd jewel (harvest speed rerolled this one): 1ex each (5ex total)
Everything else: peanuts
Total cost: ~25ex

My PoB with very conservative boxes checked: https://pastebin.com/RrQwDZAY
Sirus 9 last phase: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1lAfedqt1w

PoB came out to 125mil Sirus dps once all blitz charges are up, etc. Even with a 40% damage nerf next league, that will still be 75mil dps, which hopefully still comfortably instaphases Sirus. I'm a bit concerned about any attack speed losses (on MPD, for instance).

MPD now has '10% less attack speed' on it, which drops my setup under the 10 APS breakpoint. But my ~75mil dps PoB is pretty much on-point (once I fix the attack speed issues). I would drop the fortify effect nodes and run a channeling skills medium cluster instead, which has some great attack speed options. (I think I had over 11 APS at some point.)

From my experience with the build:
- GCBF's damage is very backloaded, so it won't 'feel like' 75mil dps -- you need to desecrate, then warcry, then the mirage dudes pop out, then they channel for a bit, and then they release the BF for megalodamage. So it'll feel like you're barely scratching the boss for a couple seconds, and then their hp bar suddenly drops like a rock. The Sirus video kinda shows that.
- Redblade Banner is a build enabler (it was 70c day 1 of last league). But it doesn't really feel very good until Kitava's Teachings (mana sustain, probably even more important this league; I did try an enduring mana flask at first and it still felt bad) and Paradoxica (you're a glass cannon, and prior to Paradoxica you're just... glass). Don't go Abyssus until you have your Paradoxica; Deidbellow and Ichimonji are good stepping stone options.
- You also do absolutely need Mob Mentality and Lead By Example on mediums clusters. That's the other (relatively) pricy part of this build.
- The crit chest and fortify boots definitely aren't needed. In particular dangerous packs, I don't even cyclone close to them to even proc the fortify.
- With increased mana costs across the board, it might actually be worth dropping your cyclone-CWC-desecrate setup for Corpsewalkers. It frees you up from needing -channeling cost on your jewelry, even. However, this does take away the ability to run infused channeling (which does buff your BF).
- Your next two huge upgrades are a +1 mirage warrior GC helm enchant, and Ryslatha's. I really should've gotten a Ryslatha's, but I needed to rejuggle my resists and ended up getting distracted by my special snowflake alts.
- Leveling-wise, you don't have access to Redblade Banner so just level slams with a bunch of warcries. I didn't have a particularly good time leveling so you shouldn't listen to me.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

TyrantWD posted:

I think I'll start with a generic minion army build tomorrow, try Reaper, dump Reaper, and then as I get currency transition to cold Carrion Golems, assuming the prismatic jewel costs are depressed due to people ditching Golemancer.

Golemancer jewels will still be very expensive early league, it is one of the laziest builds and people pay a premium for that. Now that Soulwrest was changed to drop from anywhere, and because the More Damage on the links weren't super great in the first place, I'm confident you can get way more budget performance in the early league with that instead. Put a few points into Skill Duration and wear Bubonic Trail and you'll make another Phantasm every time you step on a corpse which can cap you at 21 easily (or Corpsewalker and the Kitava jewel to be extra lazy, but Desecrate/Bubonic is slightly more optimal in most situations).

If you're going to to cold conversion, I feel like Syndicate Operative or Primal Crushclaw spectres are both better than Carrion Golem at this point. SO will shotgun everythihg for wacky clear and can out DPS every minion in the game if you convoke them on top of a boss. Crushclaw does a roar that increases cold damage taken, they do more single target damage if you aren't convoking, and they have like 3 times the HP of SO spectres so they're unkillable even on non-Necros. You can easily pick up either on day 2 from Global 6666, when leveling through the acts you can even toss them in a Bitterdream and they'll smoke everything, that is some secret tech from me.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Fenris13 posted:

Just a couple of things to consider about your starter idea, but the 2 rings and -20 curse node do not give you curse immunity, this has been pointed out in the thread but you will still take self curses at 80% strength and map curses between 20 and 60% strength. Your totems will also live for about 2 seconds until you get a pair of chaos resist cluster jewels which may or may not be in high demand for this new skill.

Thanks for pointing this all out, I'll give it some more thought. Certainly the endgame plan for that build would be Atziri's Reflection and Coward's Legacy with pain attunement but obviously that's not realistic in the first few days.

Well there's always my super jank backup plan! Anomalous Detonate Dead converts 60% fire to chaos, and Consuming Dark gives another 30 plus "your chaos damage has 60% chance to poison." The tree has a bunch more poison chance to pick up and jewels can help push that over 100%.

So Pathfinder Poison Prolif DD! PoB shows the damage as being really solid and it can't even account for the actual corpse explosion portion, only the spell hit. Now if I can just figure out defenses . . . and what to level with until I can snag Anomalous DD and equip Consuming Dark at 53 lol.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

GCBF is so much fun . It’s doesn’t look like it makes any sense, but then you get all the pieces flowing together and it just wrecks poo poo

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Fenris13 posted:

map curses sure but how are you taking self curses at 80% strength?

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Jinnigan posted:

map curses sure but how are you taking self curses at 80% strength?

Soul Mantle got nerfed at some point to apply the curses to you with 80% more effect instead of baseline 100%. I forgot all about it until that post.

Edit - my mistake was testing this on Standard yesterday . . . with a legacy Soul Mantle whoops.

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 23, 2021

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Soul Mantle is more effect, not increased effect.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

euphronius posted:

Enkis arc … hierophant ?

I've been trying to run a league with each of the base characters, and all I've got left is Templar and Duelist, so I think I'm gonna try this, thanks.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3147914

No reason to doubt Enki, but nothing pops out as a terrible idea, right?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

So you decrease the curse effect to 0% and then soul mantle multiplies the 0% by 1.8, yeah? or else isn't the build basically nonfunctional whereas plenty of hieros were running around these previous leagues?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah, 100% curse effect reduction means you are immune to self inflicted curses. They tried to have soul mantle be increased curse one time and people balked at them and they reverted it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
It really can't be that bad that people are going back to totem builds.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Red tier map curses will still apply on you at 100% reduced curse effect, but its very minor, you can mostly ignore them, while non mitigated curses at red tier can be pretty meaty.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

buy chris an account so we can fix him.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Jinnigan posted:

So you decrease the curse effect to 0% and then soul mantle multiplies the 0% by 1.8, yeah? or else isn't the build basically nonfunctional whereas plenty of hieros were running around these previous leagues?

You are correct, I forgot they changed Soul Mantle back from increased to more.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Fenris13 posted:

You are correct, I forgot they changed Soul Mantle back from increased to more.

Oh excellent, I also forgot that the reduction comes before the more. Your point about the totems dying super fast still stands of course.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

This part of the league is probably my favorite, just theory crafting, speculating, and trying to choose between a bunch of fun sounding builds. I’m sure I’ll solidify on something tonight and definitely not 10 minutes before league start.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

coupla atlas passive questions:
- whats good in new vastir after legions. more rogue exiles or more abysses? im skipping 100% of delve this league, gently caress delve, all my homies hate delve
- are we still doing harvest on atlas passives?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

imo abyss, and no.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
If I get that far (gently caress I ran into a brick wall in Ultimatum):

-Rogues, I don't need any more "not a Lich boss" Depths
-No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I’m probably still doing Frozen Orb but I’ve got some Blade Trap ideas I might want to run, so I might end up with Frozen Orb traps. I had wanted to start self cast as like an Assassin but we’ll see.