Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

boop the snoot posted:

We need a new uniform for the army.

Space force.

Space force needs new uniforms. There's a new sponge in town to absorb tax dollars.

I haven't kept up with space force, so this is all presumptuous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Notahippie posted:

It's a weird story - Monsignor Jeffrey Burrill, who is a decidedly chuddy Catholic Bishop and Secretary of the UCCB got outed earlier this week by a right-wing tradcath website as being on Grindr. I don't know how they found him specifically, but there's been some buzz in tradcath circles about basically doing open-source intelligence stuff to find gay priests.

If you have purchased a data set of user locations (thanks Verizon!), it would be relatively trivial to identify each unique identifiers' most-frequented landmarks and then go fishing to see who's in the middle of the Venn diagram of church facilities vs. dens of iniquity. Translating from an identifier to a person is theoretically impossible, unless they ever go home.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Flikken posted:

Maybe since we are leaving Afghanistan in 2021 we don't need as much spending in 2022???

Gotta start stockpiling for the resource wars.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

quote:

Commercially available app signal data, The Pillar said, "does not identify the names of app users, but instead correlates a unique numerical identifier to each mobile device using particular apps."

"Signal data, collected by apps after users consent to data collection, is aggregated and sold by data vendors. It can be analyzed to provide timestamped location data and usage information for each numbered device," The Pillar added.

Well this will make a handy example to point to in privacy discussions.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Lake of Methane posted:

If you have purchased a data set of user locations (thanks Verizon!), it would be relatively trivial to identify each unique identifiers' most-frequented landmarks and then go fishing to see who's in the middle of the Venn diagram of church facilities vs. dens of iniquity. Translating from an identifier to a person is theoretically impossible, unless they ever go home.

Remember back when AOL released a huge amount of :airquote: anonymized :airquote: search logs, and the internet more or less instantly de-anonymized a lot of it?

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Space force.

Space force needs new uniforms. There's a new sponge in town to absorb tax dollars.

I haven't kept up with space force, so this is all presumptuous.

Space Force is currently using the Army OCP ACUs just like the Air Force, so yeah probably

gonna make a lovely space themed MARPAT knockoff or maybe some tiger striped nonsense then quietly switch back to OCP again a few years later

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Zamujasa posted:

Remember back when AOL released a huge amount of :airquote: anonymized :airquote: search logs, and the internet more or less instantly de-anonymized a lot of it?

lol no but I dont doubt it. When was this

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Worthleast posted:

Do you know of a decent thread or journalist covering this?

This is a trade magazine, but it's pretty even handed.

https://www.freightwaves.com/

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Milo and POTUS posted:

lol no but I dont doubt it. When was this

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTHLKHL_whs

Pretty sure this will be the conservative outrage for the next couple of days

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
God bless Nas X. It's that old dril tweet about turning the racism dial up and looking back for approval, except he keeps turning the gay dial up and looking back and cackling at the increasing amount of hair-rending

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Flikken posted:

Maybe since we are leaving Afghanistan in 2021 we don't need as much spending in 2022???

It’s fascinating to read how post-Cold War there was a brief window when the US defense budget did decrease. Wonder if there’s any connection with the government running surpluses and speculation pre-2001 the debt was going to be paid off.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
https://twitter.com/BW/status/1418229455911260161

Tommy Fisher posted:

“If I only did 1,000 or 2,000 feet, everyone’s going to make fun,” he says. “No one can really make fun of this.”

lol

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://cdn.fro.wtf/reddit/publicfreakout/opurqy.mp4

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

I dunno I'm laughing at him.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Current Event: Mil and veterans with honorable discharge can stream Olympics for free on NBC or via nbc app using Exchange login.

May not be available if you live oversees, other than on a military base.

Free way to watch live and choose sports to watch vs US broadcast primetime edits.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

I do appreciate that he likes to call them out on their dumb poo poo.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Alabama's governor is pissed at the unvaccinated people:

https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/1418409503578632195

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
Watching an old republican from Alabama do something right evokes the same feeling I get from watching crows figuring out doorknobs or w/e.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Before you start laughing, for anyone who didn't read the article, it's this guy

quote:

When Tommy Fisher decided he wanted to build his own private border wall in Texas, he said he wanted to keep out trouble from Mexico.

Now that wall has created its own set of troubles on the U.S. side of the border: Engineers warn the structure will wash away in a flood, neighbors want it dismantled, and Fisher is embroiled in lawsuits.

Nonetheless, Fisher and his North Dakota construction company have landed more than $2 billion in contracts to build President Trump's official wall.

Fisher, who supports Trump and regularly promoted himself on Fox News, erected the iron barrier 18 feet high and 3 miles long along the highly regulated Rio Grande as his personal project.

Opponents say it has since fallen into disrepair and could exacerbate flooding because it's too close to the international river. Locals are dumbfounded by the project.

For critics, the greatest puzzlement about the private wall is its pointlessness. Trump's massive and expensive border barrier that's under construction just a mile to the north negates the need for Fisher's wall.

Moreover, Fisher's wall sits right next to the winding river, not on top of the levee that is outside of the flood plain, where the Trump administration is building its own controversial barrier.

"This thing that the Fisher group did, it's way too close to the water. And it's in an area where we would never be allowed to build at the federal government level," says Ron Vitiello, retired chief of the Border Patrol who oversaw some of the federal wall construction.

Over the summer, heavy rains revealed just how precarious the wall is. Water erosion scoured deep trenches under the foundation. The U.S. attorney representing the IBWC described it as "severe."

Wright's lawyer, Javier Peña, went along with an inspection team after the rains passed.

"People can actually fit and just crawl under the foundation of the wall, and it's months old," Peña said incredulously. "This thing was supposed to last a hundred years, and it can't even last a year."

Meanwhile, Fisher has received four border wall construction contracts from the Homeland Security Department valued at $2.25 billion — more than any other federal contractor.

Democrats in Congress suspect favoritism, and now the Pentagon's inspector general is auditing a $400 million contract to his company, Fisher Sand & Gravel.

These days, Fisher is busy in Arizona with his mega-contracts building the official border wall — to the government's specifications, not his own. But he did return to Texas in early August to answer complaints of erosion under his prototype wall.

He says the fixes are simple: Fill in the eroded gullies with more dirt, pile gravel on and seed the area with grass. That, he claims, will stand up to Mother Nature.

But experts remain deeply dubious.

A forensic report prepared by engineers hired by the Butterfly Center warns the private wall is in danger of toppling over because of a poor foundation and continuing erosion.

Jude Benavides, an associate professor of hydrology and environmental science at the University of Texas in the Rio Grande Valley, has studied flooding on the international river. He says while it appears placid to outsiders, it can become fierce, as in, el Rio Bravo — Mexico's name for the river.

"And so to build, not only in the flood plain, but essentially in the floodway, it's going to have repercussions when [the river] decides to wake up and rage again," Benavides said.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTHLKHL_whs

Pretty sure this will be the conservative outrage for the next couple of days

I love his videos. The music is catchy, the visuals are bright, the costumes are nuts. I hope he continues loving with the conservative's with his art.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Oh my god I was wrong
It was real all along

Oh I’ve finally made a monkey
Yes I’ve finally made a monkey
Yes I’ve finally made a monkey out of me!

I love you Dr Fauci!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Can I play the piano anymore?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Stultus Maximus posted:

Before you start laughing, for anyone who didn't read the article, it's this guy

Ah yes you see the solution for erosion in a structure in the desert is to plant grass seed on it and let the grass grow.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

mlmp08 posted:

Current Event: Mil and veterans with honorable discharge can stream Olympics for free on NBC or via nbc app using Exchange login.

May not be available if you live oversees, other than on a military base.

Free way to watch live and choose sports to watch vs US broadcast primetime edits.

Neat! Here's an article that shows how to do it: https://www.military.com/off-duty/t...mpics-free.html

Takes like two minutes to make an Exchange account, super easy.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Mr. Nice! posted:

She is against masking in schools

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

lightpole posted:

She is against masking in schools

I'm not handing it to her. She's garbage for a lot of reasons. It's just funny seeing republicans get frustrated with the monster they created.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

ASAPI posted:

I love his videos. The music is catchy, the visuals are bright, the costumes are nuts. I hope he continues loving with the conservative's with his art.

I hope history views him as an activist instead of just a musical artist. Dude is doing work.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1418574083634171907?s=19

https://twitter.com/ValerieInsinna/status/1418573195679043587?s=19

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Sacrist65 posted:

Watching an old republican from Alabama do something right evokes the same feeling I get from watching crows figuring out doorknobs or w/e.

I can assure you that Kay Ivey does not care about us being buck naked last in vaccinations. She has repeatedly told us this, and refuses to make any policy changes to push vaccinations or to increase masking.

Her sole improvement over usual occupants of the Governor’s mansion is that the stupidity is mostly below the surface, and there’s just the normal background radiation level of corruption.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

boop the snoot posted:

I hope history views him as an activist instead of just a musical artist. Dude is doing work.

I'm with you on that. Hopefully he has a long career and becomes known for being an "activist artist".

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

boop the snoot posted:

The Industry Baby video is a fundraiser for The Bail Project, which is real cool

So far it's up to $15k raised

UP THE BUM NO BABY fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 23, 2021

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

What the hell is a Guardian? They should have gone with Cleveland Commodores or Cleveland Burning Rivers or something.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hekk posted:

What the hell is a Guardian? They should have gone with Cleveland Commodores or Cleveland Burning Rivers or something.

https://twitter.com/spaceforcedod/status/1340054052894326785

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Oh my god, as if the name space force didnt already make me want to wedgie anyone who joined that branch

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Hekk posted:

I thought it was just bullshit and not being creative, but:

https://twitter.com/wxbrad/status/1418578993348030468?s=19

But look at how awesome it could've been:

https://twitter.com/BaseballBros/status/1418582739482288134?s=19

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Space marines was right there.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Defenestrategy posted:

Space marines would need to be their own special branch under the Dept of the Space Force.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Defenestrategy posted:

Doesn't Games Workshop own the term Space Marine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

RFC2324 posted:

Doesn't Games Workshop own the term Space Marine?

They sure want people to think so.