Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

InternetJunky posted:

Is this possible with an STL file only?

STL is a pretty standard/simple model format, and it seems like most 3d suites have either a native ability to import/export them, or can do so through a plugin. You should be able to pop it open and make the changes.
It might just be a case of importing the model into Blender/etc, removing any interior polygons that cause the voids, and re-export as an appropriate, solid mesh in STL. (If the issue is that there are interior volumes due to internal polygons, as opposed to something due to the format itself.)

I could take a peek at it if you have a STL file with the voiding issue (compared to one that does not.), and see if it's just a model-specific issue. But if the issue is STL/format specific then you might be better off hitting up some 3d-printing communities for help.

e: Opening a couple STL files they just seem to be a standard watertight/continuous mesh, nothing fancy on the 3d end. If the issue is that there's a double-layered shell, or some polygons accidentally left over inside the mesh, you should be able to clean it out pretty quick in Blender/your 3d suite of choice.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Here's a link to an example of the problem if anyone wants to see what I'm talking about :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r7hjIpR-4CqLCMj0DFr4WpnDbA6ozNED/view?usp=sharing

This dragon head has a cavity in its head that must be filled to get it to print correctly.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

InternetJunky fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 26, 2021

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

You gotta go in and delete that if you don't want it in the print. That's likely a mouth bag or some other nonsense for that model when it was made for some purpose other than printing, but yeah, I don't think any slicer is going to assume the user doesn't want that, it's just gonna try its best. You should be able to import and modify and re-export the STL in Blender or whatever, though.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The headvoid actually connects to the exterior of the mesh in some spots. (under it's chin/mouth edge etc / ears.)
Still something you should be able to clean up in blender and just delete internal areas and patch up the holes.

The geo is pretty messy and very clearly not designed for print, that mouth-cavern extends a bit down + connects to the outside of the mesh through gaps in the cheeks.
The way it connects to the outside makes me think the artist just made it in chunks, slapped them together + auto-retopoed, then didn't care or didn't notice that gaps in it led to those internal pockets. I can't see anyone modelling throat-to-ear canals intentionally.

So yeah, some cleanup in blender is required unless you can get the original artist to update and supply a print-friendly version. But it should be pretty straightforwards work.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

That geo seems mostly fine for printing, it was just made in zbrush. Zbrush would likely be the best tool for prepping it, but if you don't have it then you gotta muddle through somehow.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll try to figure out exactly how you might delete those internal areas. Since I print these commercially I come across problem models like this all the time so I need to figure out how to clean them up myself since the artists take ages to fix them (if at all).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You can open the STL in blender, switch to edit mode and vertex selection, and just drag a box around the vertices that make up the hollow and delete them.

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

I just started learning Blender the other day so I have a really dumb question. I'm on the part of the Udemy course where I create a scene out of basic mesh objects. At this point my scene is just a road with another road on top parallel to it. Before I got to adding in some cars and poo poo, I wanted to frame my scene to get a basic sense of composition. I'm having an issue with camera clipping though.

Clipping distance seems to work in the viewer, but for some reason the camera clips objects after about 2000 m, even if I set it to a distance way beyond that. Here's a video showing what's happening.

https://i.imgur.com/KnP6hpj.mp4

You can see the clip end parameter working from a close distance to about 2000 m, when objects just stop rendering in the camera even though they're definitely there when I'm in the viewer. What am I doing wrong here?

Edit: lol nevermind, it's functioning exactly as it should, needed way more objects

space chandeliers fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 3, 2021

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Guess it's time to learn Mari now that Substance has been Adobed

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

KinkyJohn posted:

Guess it's time to learn Mari now that Substance has been Adobed

Substance was bought by Adobe and put on a subscription model a while back, did something new happen?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

They rebranded officially and killed the separate Allegorithmic launcher so you have to use Creative Cloud now, that's all.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I bought SP on steam for Christmas, I saw 2021 had an update then when I launched it, it said my license expired even though I bought the perpetual license for 2021? I can still launch and use 2020 though so I just do that. 2021 seemed to work the second time but I don't trust it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/rodtronics/status/1414307893172658188?s=21

click the link and view on gfycat website for quality

this shader is a fake dispersing shader but the IOR
range the dispersing covers crosses 1 .. that is to say that one end of the dispersing shader has an IOR <1 and the other end >1

who cares

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

mutata posted:

They rebranded officially and killed the separate Allegorithmic launcher so you have to use Creative Cloud now, that's all.

Would that apply to me if I'm running a perpetual license whose maintenance doesn't end until October?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I have a weird request. I am working with a dude on getting a sculpture done, and he's sent me a file to use to let him know what I'd like changed. The only thing is, I dunno how to pose said for the way I need it. It's a skull, and I need it laying back with the jaw open. Can I get one of you dudes or dudettes to rotate it a bit for me?

I've tried but somehow all I can manage to do is either warp the skull or have it snap back into position cause I have no idea wtf I am doing. It's a 80 something meg file, so I can't email it but I can drop you a link for it.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I have a weird request. I am working with a dude on getting a sculpture done, and he's sent me a file to use to let him know what I'd like changed. The only thing is, I dunno how to pose said for the way I need it. It's a skull, and I need it laying back with the jaw open. Can I get one of you dudes or dudettes to rotate it a bit for me?

I've tried but somehow all I can manage to do is either warp the skull or have it snap back into position cause I have no idea wtf I am doing. It's a 80 something meg file, so I can't email it but I can drop you a link for it.

I'm online now and could try to do it for you.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Pm sent!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Where's the best place to put an ad out to hire someone/a team proficient in UE - blueprints, frontend, interactivity?
From a games experience point of view, is this considered UI?
I took a look on Gamasutra, they have a contractor list 1700 strong but it's a bit of a random crapshoot to click through and try and figure out if they offer the services we want.

We'd like to find someone (or a team) that we can potentially rely on for more of this - someone excited about the possibilities and experienced enough to suggest new approaches and ideas that we might not have considered.
We'd supply scenes organized however required, and we'd be able to handle design elements of the UI if needed too - it's largely the programming and interactive component we need help with.

e: here's a quick reel of some of the past experience spaces that we've designed & built - we get healthy budgets to do it properly. https://vimeo.com/341597152

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 20, 2021

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

cubicle gangster posted:

Where's the best place to put an ad out to hire someone/a team proficient in UE - blueprints, frontend, interactivity?
From a games experience point of view, is this considered UI?
I took a look on Gamasutra, they have a contractor list 1700 strong but it's a bit of a random crapshoot to click through and try and figure out if they offer the services we want.

We'd like to find someone (or a team) that we can potentially rely on for more of this - someone excited about the possibilities and experienced enough to suggest new approaches and ideas that we might not have considered.
We'd supply scenes organized however required, and we'd be able to handle design elements of the UI if needed too - it's largely the programming and interactive component we need help with.

e: here's a quick reel of some of the past experience spaces that we've designed & built - we get healthy budgets to do it properly. https://vimeo.com/341597152

Are you looking to hire for an in-house team or partner with a vendor?

I just got hired on as a Creative Director as a production company that has been doing a lot of VR lately. They're physically just down the street from Epic and have lots of Epic/nVidia partnerships going. Some talented programmers and artists that spend their days in UE/VR world. I was brought on to help elevate their output and I've always thought of architecture as a great avenue for that (also coincidentally, as I'm moving there in two weeks, I got put in touch with George Smart the president of the US Modernist organization - and I'm hoping we can develop some VR experiences for the modernist world).

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I am pushing hard for a vendor we can partner with - I think long term it will make more a more collaborative process and both sides can benefit.
It sounds like we should have a chat....!

Apr 7, 2019

Looks like Redshift is moving to subscription-only next month. This press release really tries to make it sound like a good thing.

Maxon team explains that the new licensing plan is there to ensure all users have access to the latest version of Redshift: "In order to maintain compatibility with the latest hardware, drivers and host application updates our Redshift development team is constantly updating, optimizing, and ensuring stability. In order to provide the best customer experience, we believe all customers should be running on the latest version."

https://80.lv/articles/redshift-will-become-a-subscription-only-product-in-august/

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

500 posted:

Looks like Redshift is moving to subscription-only next month. This press release really tries to make it sound like a good thing.

Maxon team explains that the new licensing plan is there to ensure all users have access to the latest version of Redshift: "In order to maintain compatibility with the latest hardware, drivers and host application updates our Redshift development team is constantly updating, optimizing, and ensuring stability. In order to provide the best customer experience, we believe all customers should be running on the latest version."

https://80.lv/articles/redshift-will-become-a-subscription-only-product-in-august/

We've been on redshift for 4 years now.
I think this will be the reason our pipeline guy switches us to something else.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

500 posted:

They announced this on Twitter the other day, and when I saw it about 3/4 of the responses were unhappy with the end of permanent licensing. Several hours later they just posted the exact same tweet, got maybe 1/2 unhappy responses; then repeated two more times until the only people replying were ones that were happy about them adding the subscription model.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

cubicle gangster posted:

I am pushing hard for a vendor we can partner with - I think long term it will make more a more collaborative process and both sides can benefit.
It sounds like we should have a chat....!

Yeah for sure! We're still small but they're making leaps and bounds and our main focus is building up that particular side of the team.
I'm currently home with both kids through today b/c of a COVID exposure in my kid's daycare room (we leave in 10 days. I cannot wait to be out of this state) so things are nuts, but I'll DM with a bit more of a detailed response tomorrow or Friday!

edit: Speaking of Epic - they just bought Sketchfab. They're on a tear.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 21, 2021

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWrMuyAl490

This is very good.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Haha hitting me with this just as I’m about to transition back to vfx from cartoon animation.

Also apparently Blizzard is a bunch of dicks:
https://news.bloomberglaw.com/daily-labor-report/activision-blizzard-sued-by-california-over-frat-boy-culture

Ccs fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 22, 2021

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I don't understand the rigify chest control bone alignment

That's the control bone in blue. The armature has "show axis" on, which are displayed in color.

I have also added an "arrows" empty to the scene and put a "copy transforms" constraint on it and targeted it on the chest bone. That's the larger axis shown in black. As you can see, the displayed axis of the bone and the empty do not match.

The figure on the right is the custom shape for the chest bone, it also has "show axis" enabled. They match the axis displayed on the bone.

Is this intended behavior? I'm asking because I tried adding a "track to" constraint to the chest bone and could not figure out why it was pointing in the wrong direction until I added an empty with "copy transforms" and saw that the bone's axis didn't match the axis on the empty.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I think the oddity is that the chest control bone itself is oriented so it's pointing along the y-axis, but the custom shape has a transformation override to align it with MCH-WGT-chest. Doing an empty with "copy transform" copying MCH-WGT-chest instead of "chest" has the axes pointing the same as the control bone's.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Remaking an old low poly mesh I made 2-3 years ago as a hi-def mesh. will probably look nice as a portfolio piece, especially once it's baked down, animated, and I have the cockpit internals done. Still have the arms left, but those shouldn't take too long. (though I'm changing how the hands function since little grabby prongs kinda suck for cool animations.)

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Houdini question, is there any simple and non-mathy way of animating a ramp attribute so that it repeats over $time?

Edit : Basically I'm trying to figure out how to do the animated spring effect in the tweet here : https://twitter.com/PaulEsteves28/status/1382303308103221253?s=20

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Aug 2, 2021

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Odddzy posted:

Houdini question, is there any simple and non-mathy way of animating a ramp attribute so that it repeats over $time?

Edit : Basically I'm trying to figure out how to do the animated spring effect in the tweet here : https://twitter.com/PaulEsteves28/status/1382303308103221253?s=20

how much math is too much math? '%' is the modulo operator, so to repeat something over x seconds you can use $T%x. to scale that to 0-1 just divide by x, or
code:
($T%x)/x

Apr 7, 2019

Odddzy posted:

Couple of other solutions:

If you use a channel ramp inside an attribute wrangle, it will automatically repeat. Make sure to drop down a resample node beforehand and check the box to generate a curveu attribute, then use the curveu attribute + @Time to sample a channel ramp. Finally, use the resulting value to drive @pscale.

If you're allergic to VEX and would prefer to use VOPs, you could use something like this instead of the attribute wrangle. It's a bit more complicated and involves some mathy stuff. Basically you can use the fraction node to only output the fractional value of the input number. So for example, if curveu + @Time = 2.56, the fract node will return '0.56'. This means you can feed it any increasing value and it will always give you some value between 0 and 1.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

500 posted:

Couple of other solutions:

If you use a channel ramp inside an attribute wrangle, it will automatically repeat. Make sure to drop down a resample node beforehand and check the box to generate a curveu attribute, then use the curveu attribute + @Time to sample a channel ramp. Finally, use the resulting value to drive @pscale.

This worked perfectly!

I'm not allergic to VEX, but I am kinda afraid of making things complicated for nothing sometimes (should I learn hscript to create quickie expressions or instead learn how to be better with vex and vops for example?).

One followup question though, how the hell did you figure out you should use pscale to drive the width of the sweep? I thought I had to figure out a way to override the scale ramp in the sweep sop. Was that a fool's errand?

Edit : Thanks Jenny for your answer, not too mathy, but I gotta admit my mental ability doesn't really grasp when to use hscript in houdini, why do they have $F, $FF and $T. It's so confusing sometimes.

Apr 7, 2019

Odddzy posted:

One followup question though, how the hell did you figure out you should use pscale to drive the width of the sweep? I thought I had to figure out a way to override the scale ramp in the sweep sop. Was that a fool's errand?

I tested pscale and it worked! The pscale attribute tends to drive scale on lots of other sops (copy to points, for example), so I figured it might work here too.

I honestly don't know that much hscript. I usually only use it for basic math and to link channels to other properties.

Odddzy posted:

why do they have $F, $FF and $T

I do happen to know the answer to this one, though.

$T: time in seconds. So in a project set to 24fps, $T will be equal to 0 at frame 0, 0.5 at frame 12, and 1.0 at frame 24.
$F: frame number as an integer (integer means whole numbers like 1, 2, 3, etc. No decimals)
$FF: frame number as a floating point value. This means it will tell you how far you are between frames. Halfway between frame 1 and 2 would be 1.5, etc. $F wouldn't give you this info.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
crossposting this from the YOSPOS blender thread:

I made a film.
https://vimeo.com/579458197

Apr 7, 2019

Neon Noodle posted:

crossposting this from the YOSPOS blender thread:

I made a film.
https://vimeo.com/579458197

Love this! Did you do the audio too? It made me laugh several times.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Thank you! Yes I am the voice of the elephant.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Not sure the rules about selling here but is anyone interested in a EVGA 3080TI at cost? My step up pinged but I don't have a persronal use for it. Wanted to give an artist a crack at it first. All I ask is that you have post history in this thread. I have until the end of the day (pacific standard time) to pay for it

Mods: I can make a SA mart thread for it if necessary.

edit: dibbed

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Aug 11, 2021

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

I'm still learning ZBrush, so this may be a dumb question.

In 3DS Max, I can set edges up with crease values that help me control which edges stay sharp versus which edges smooth over when I'm using the Open Subdivision modifier.

Is there any way to take those crease values and... I don't know, bring them into ZBrush? So that when I subdivide a mesh in ZBrush it also respects the hard edges I've creased? I guess I could just crank the Open Subdivision modifier up a bunch before importing the mesh into ZBrush and go from there, but I figured I'd ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Does 3DS Max have a "Convert creases to geometry" feature somewhere? That would be the most straightforward way to get that into a Zbrush basemesh.