Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

this is an important point. Dune is great, Dune 2 is middlin and it fuckin falls off a goddamn cliff from there
chapterhouse was great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

SmokaDustbowl posted:

dune is like baby politics I don't know why it's not assigned reading in school

i'll tell you what tho, the books they make middle schoolers and high school students are generally awful. Like why the gently caress would you make ANYONE read fuckin Flowers For Algernon, that poo poo is just a grenade tossed right into your emotions

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if you don't read flowers for algernon the always sunny parody episode isn't nearly as funny

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Chris Knight posted:

chapterhouse was great

really? i think I got like halfway through the fourth one and gave up

mystes
May 31, 2006

I have a friend who read all of the dune prequels. Coincidentally I don't trust his book recommendations at all. He also likes Brandon Sanderson.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

i'll tell you what tho, the books they make middle schoolers and high school students are generally awful. Like why the gently caress would you make ANYONE read fuckin Flowers For Algernon, that poo poo is just a grenade tossed right into your emotions

I dunno I dropped out in grade 11

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I dunno I dropped out in grade 11

it was honestly more of a rhetorical question

mystes
May 31, 2006

Flowers for Algernon is good it's just a downer.

I wish I was assigned that in school instead of poo poo like The Rape of the Lock and Henry the Blah Part Blah.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

mystes posted:

Flowers for Algernon is good it's just a downer.

yeah, and all the books they want kids to read are generally huge downers, that's what I'm sayin

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

if you don't read flowers for algernon the always sunny parody episode isn't nearly as funny

or the "smatthew" episode of newsradio

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i was an angsty teen so i chose Paradise Lost for my Big Senior English Book Report

Sometimes I wish they kept copies of that poo poo on file so i could FOIA it back from the school and see exactly how bad my paper was

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

rotor posted:

They had me read Bridge to Terabithia in grade school when I was doing in-school suspension

😭

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

or the "smatthew" episode of newsradio

or that one simpsons

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i was allowed to do a critical paper on neuromancer because there was actual academic literary criticism of it available to reference, which was the main requirement

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i was allowed to do a critical paper on neuromancer because there was actual academic literary criticism of it available to reference, which was the main requirement

that's pretty cool, nice

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
algernon was in my sophomore survey lit book in hs. i had to read a ridiculous amount in high school. soso many papers to write. shockingly i'm a reader so whatever i mostly enjoyed it.

BUT

the all time worst one by a mile was tess of the d'urbervilles

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

algernon was in my sophomore survey lit book in hs. i had to read a ridiculous amount in high school. soso many papers to write. shockingly i'm a reader so whatever i mostly enjoyed it.

BUT

I failed the math part of my GED but made up the points in language arts

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I like to read and I like to post

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

indigi posted:

why are there evil space nobles. seems like you’d just pick good guys to be space nobles, if you’re the emperor.

the emperor is threatened by the good nobles. the duke leto atreides is such a good dude that all the other nobles listen to what he says, and the emperor knows that if they all band together he doesn't actually have enough troops to stop them. so he has to keep them fighting with one another, and he has to get rid of leto specifically. his plan is to take arrakis from the harkonnens and give it to the atreides, knowing that the harkonnens are scummy and will try to kill leto to get it back. to make sure the attack succeeds, he sneaks in a bunch of his own elite shock troops in harkonnen armor. paul sees through the disguises and realizes that his fight won't end until he dethrones the emperor.

rotor posted:

trying to remember what i had to read at that age, beyond the usual shakespeare and whatnot. i remember we had the handmaid's tale, fifth business, the chrysalids, and zone, so there must have been some sort of cancon requirement.

i have still never read many of the "classic" middle school novels that you get in america, like catcher in the rye and the great gatsby.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

really? i think I got like halfway through the fourth one and gave up
I found god emperor hard going too, but powered through it. can't remember much of heretics, but Chapterhouse all bene gesserit stuff like WAY in the future, so It rocks

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

had to read Jude the obscure in university. would not recommend.

also noped out of middlemarch because I kept falling asleep reading it. I think i opted to do pass/fail for that class lol

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
tleilaxu bitches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-qhj3sJ5qs

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

had to read Jude the obscure in university. would not recommend.

also noped out of middlemarch because I kept falling asleep reading it. I think i opted to do pass/fail for that class lol

yeah i didn't want to seem too much of a philistine but i don't like thomas hardy at all

the only non-science stuff i really had to read in college was a bunch of french plays and myths, mostly

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
i remember having to read the red badge of courage (and bridge to terebitha :hfive: trashcakes) and then mark twain's little morality play The War Prayer and Occurrence at Owl Creek

apparently my teachers were more hippy than hawk

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

bump_fn posted:

do they gently caress the whales

Could I be known as Paul Mua'cafee

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

in high school freshman and sophomore years were both survey courses with a standard textbook that had a bunch of different readings from across western literature, plus some other stuff like romeo and juliet freshman year. more greek stuff in sophomore year plus a bunch of plays. the crucible, death of a salesman, etc. third year was all american literature. i remember before the year started we had to read heart of darkness, awakenings, maybe fahrenheit 451? stuff by twain and a few biographies incl having our say, by two black women who lived to be over 100 years old. senior year was all british lit. tess, maybe 1984? more shakespeare, bunch of bronte stuff since my teacher was regrettably a fan

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqaAs_3azSs

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

its 97f out and i have zero interest in Sand And Thirst: The Movie

im sure i will be more interested as the weather breaks

one of my best movie experiences was going to see fury road on a scorching day, then leaving the theater moments after a rainstorm soaked the lot and left a comfortable breeze

seeing jurassic park in a drive-in during a summer rainstorm's also good too

SmokaDustbowl posted:

it's not like game of thrones, dune is lord of the rings level

like lord of the rings, the initial trilogy is the strongest, too. unfortunately his son is tackier and cashed in on the legacy harder

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
If there's going to be another lord of the rings style supermovie based on a book we could do worse than Dune. Heinlin's grave is still full of unmined crap like Stranger in a Strange Land. The last thing we need is another superhero movie but with strong 60's cult vibes.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

we read The Inheritors which was impossible.

I actually enjoyed the crucible and stuff, it's pretty snappy even on the page. I went to a production as an adult and it was really great irl

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

should have done yospos book club while wfh left most posters with way looser than usual schedules.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

i don't really like david lynch's work in general though.

yikes!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

yeah i didn't want to seem too much of a philistine but i don't like thomas hardy at all

the only non-science stuff i really had to read in college was a bunch of french plays and myths, mostly
I think That period of English novels can be a bit dire. I loved the hell out of A Sentimental Journey, Tristram Shandy and Shamela, mostly because they're a lot shorter lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

its 97f out and i have zero interest in Sand And Thirst: The Movie

im sure i will be more interested as the weather breaks

:rolleye:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/stephenchowgifs/status/1418390409450070021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Chess sucks too!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

Chess sucks too!

wrong.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
chess is good for me to poop on

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the worst single piece of fiction I had to read in high school was probably tess of the d'urbervilles, what a miserable slog [much like my posting]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the victorians were petty degenerates, why do we make children read so much of their literature