Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Heath posted:

I haven't had the impossible burger but I quite like the Beyond Burgers. Texture and taste wise they're pretty close to my senses, but I think I could tell them by smell. The BB has a slight undertone of something that distinguishes it from real meat, but for what it's worth I also prefer the smell of them to real meat

I've had both and they're both pretty good.

IMO the Impossible Burger tastes very much like meat, however (as mentioned) it's a little drier and also has a less complex flavor then real meat. It's still quite tasty, and fills the role of meat very well. If they were a dollar cheaper rather than a dollar more expensive, I'd probably get them every time.

The Beyond Burger ranks a bit lower in my opinion. It's still "meaty" and fill the role of beef perfectly fine, but they have a flavor I don't really care for, I think it's because of the beets they use to color it. Also their CEO caved to all the anti-soy panic and uses other legumes for their product, which annoys me. Still they're okay and like the Impossible Burger I'd probably consistently order them if they were cheaper... just slightly less enthusiastically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/Kaceycalhoon/status/1418066729486458883

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The lack of quotation marks around "cheesesteak" in this post troubles me, since a vegan cheesesteak is a thing that cannot by definition exist, as vegan food cannot contain either cheese or steak.

Like, I'm sure it was a tasty sandwich, but it wasn't a cheesesteak.

If questlove calls it a cheesesteak I'm gonna call it a cheesesteak. Good enough for me.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I know that if I were creating a sinister recombinant genetic manipulation serum with which to rewrite humanity's DNA, I would be sure to trumpet my achievements through every media outlet that it uses "messenger RNA technology" so we're all on the same page

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

I had a vegan cheesesteak made with impossible beef. It was alright, the "beef" was the best part.

Ohh... I read this as "cheesecake" at first was was getting kinda queasy thinking of a cheese cake with beef crumbles.

The lack of quotation marks around "cheesesteak" in this post troubles me, since a vegan cheesesteak is a thing that cannot by definition exist, as vegan food cannot contain either cheese or steak.

There's actually is a vegan cheese in the works that basically is real cheese.

Basically they've inserted the genes for the proteins in milk into yeast, making a product that's more or less the same as real milk. They're planning to use different fats (making it healthier) and different sugars (making it lactose free), but if it goes as planned the end product will look taste and cook the same as cow milk cheese. There's already been some ice cream produced using this method.

Viscous Soda has a new favorite as of 01:39 on Jul 23, 2021

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Powered Descent posted:

Someday when Taco Bell rolls out the impossible-meat taco, all of our lower intestines can become filled with gender fluid.

Good news! If you want your colon filled with Gender Fluid that's called having anal.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

Yeah, and the other day some clown tried to sell me beefsteak tomatoes, I said no thanks, tomatoes cannot contain either beef or steak.

Then today someone called a joke cheesy. I said that's ridiculous, a joke cannot contain coagulated milk curds, the one and only definition of the word cheese.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

My eyes just rolled so hard that they exploded in their sockets. Which is just fine because I can't see this post any more

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Viscous Soda posted:

Basically they've inserted the genes for the proteins in milk into yeast, making a product that's more or less the same as real milk. They're planning to use different fats (making it healthier) and different sugars (making it lactose free), but if it goes as planned the end product will look taste and cook the same as cow milk cheese. There's already been some ice cream produced using this method.

This is really cool, got any links for more info?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Viscous Soda posted:

Ohh... I read this as "cheesecake" at first was was getting kinda queasy thinking of a cheese cake with beef crumbles.

Jesus christ this would rule

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Viscous Soda posted:

they've inserted the genes for the proteins in milk into yeast

The origin of the gene might make it not technically vegan though. Unless you can literally build it from scratch?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean by that logic nothing is vegan because the plants probably have stuff what came from a dead animal at some point cos that's how the life cycle works.

If you're approaching your eating habits out of some weird homeopathic animal content approach that's silly, if they make a way to produce useful and desirable food products more efficiently and without the industrial harm of animals that's obviously a good thing.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 02:11 on Jul 23, 2021

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Otana posted:

This is really cool, got any links for more info?

Mostly going from this 2015 Wired Article. As I mentioned the technology is already being used by Brave Robot to produce ice cream.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

The truly vegan food can only come from a planet where animals never evolved, as it requires an unbroken chain of plant-on-plant cannibalism. Otherwise it's just repurposed meat.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

gbut posted:

The truly vegan food can only come from a planet where animals never evolved, as it requires an unbroken chain of plant-on-plant cannibalism. Otherwise it's just repurposed meat.

Have you talked to your children about....
:btroll: Second hand meat! :btroll:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean by that logic nothing is vegan because the plants probably have stuff what came from a dead animal at some point cos that's how the life cycle works.

If you're approaching your eating habits out of some weird homeopathic animal content approach that's silly, if they make a way to produce useful and desirable food products more efficiently and without the industrial harm of animals that's obviously a good thing.

I don't disagree, but I'm also not a vegan. It is the kind of question that a strict vegan might ask though.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

shut up nerd

Midnight Voyager posted:

Sorry, a fetish of not wanting to have sex?
It's not a great theory

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Viscous Soda posted:

Mostly going from this 2015 Wired Article. As I mentioned the technology is already being used by Brave Robot to produce ice cream.

Thanks! It looks like they're still going strong, and I love that they're making the research publicly available for anyone to tinker with. It would be really cool to have vegan cheeses that come in tons of different varieties; I'm not vegan but I love the idea of making it easier for people to decrease their meat and animal product consumption.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
It's Chris it's always Chris.
https://twitter.com/ChrisCillizza/status/1417956557627723776

https://twitter.com/ChrisCillizza/status/1417978082640678917

Just the day before his garbage at cnn was this
https://twitter.com/ChrisCillizza/status/1417502648471785475

bad sugarpop habit
Apr 15, 2021

I love this thread but I really wish it didn't turn into Oops! All Transphobes!! quite so often :(

(but at the same time I'm lolling pretty hard at the academic rigor of the study that managed to find 29 whole questionnaire responses from a single employer. Over a fifty percent response rate! LMFAO)

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

They've been saying for years that we'll all get turned into catgirls, and I for one am tired of waiting.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

bad sugarpop habit posted:

I love this thread but I really wish it didn't turn into Oops! All Transphobes!! quite so often :(
Well, it's unfortunately a favorite pastime of idiots so... 🤷🏻‍♀️

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

burexas.irom posted:

My eyes just rolled so hard that they exploded in their sockets. Which is just fine because I can't see this post any more

Mission accomplished then.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
it seems really mean to want to just blind someone like that

rude even? idk

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Byzantine posted:

They've been saying for years that we'll all get turned into catgirls, and I for one am tired of waiting.

Final Fantasy XIV has a free trial going on if you want to give it a whirl.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Because they are the snake oil peddled by a man whose idiocy predates social media but continues unabated to this day, this guy:

oh poo poo, no, this guy

gently caress, wait a sec

This guy.

This is totally off-topic, but given Lana Wachowski is allergic to subtext, and the aesthetics of the Matrix films, and that she’s also a trans woman, and who the woman who left Buck Angel for her was, I would not be surprised if it came out that she has certain kinks.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Cool.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

One More Fat Nerd posted:

:wrong:
No one left on SA has an interesting enough mental illness to wholeheartedly claim that they have multiple personalities including a flying dog and several of their favorite fictional characters.
Its all just depression, anxiety disorder, substance abuse, all of the above, etc.
Also no one here has convinced themselves they're on the forefront of the revolution by fighting for otherkin rights. Maybe on Bread and Roses tho.
Most of that poo poo usually turned out to be like, 14 year olds trying to explore identity. Teens have been doing sorta weird and even embarrassing stuff while finding themselves for centuries.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Vib Rib posted:

Most of that poo poo usually turned out to be like, 14 year olds trying to explore identity. Teens have been doing sorta weird and even embarrassing stuff while finding themselves for centuries.

While they were certainly 14 year olds there were plenty of college age people on there encouraging it too

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So im sorry cause i cant keep up with all the poo poo you guys over there are doing but...Nazis tried to storm the capitol and overthrow the government right? And now the government pretty much decided that "Nah were not gonna look into that or investigate it any deeper than possibly prosecuting the people we could easily identify"? That cant' be right can it? Cause that would be pretty loving ridiculous!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Shai-Hulud posted:

So im sorry cause i cant keep up with all the poo poo you guys over there are doing but...Nazis tried to storm the capitol and overthrow the government right? And now the government pretty much decided that "Nah were not gonna look into that or investigate it any deeper than possibly prosecuting the people we could easily identify"? That cant' be right can it? Cause that would be pretty loving ridiculous!
It's because one of the two major political parties only continues to exist because of Nazis. They can't cut out their own base.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

One More Fat Nerd posted:

:wrong:

No one left on SA has an interesting enough mental illness to wholeheartedly claim that they have multiple personalities including a flying dog and several of their favorite fictional characters.

I have multiple personalities. One is me, a very sad person.

The other is also me, a very sad person but also with diarrhea.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

christmas boots posted:

pronouns are a sandwich

He/ham.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Vib Rib posted:

And most of the rest turned out to be fakes created by chuds to mock young people.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Angry Salami posted:

And most of the rest turned out to be fakes created by chuds to mock young people.

Yeah, I think it really shouldn't be understated that the Tumblr Teens ended up being a very effective distraction to hide the birth of the chud right-wing, and soon became an equally effective boogeyman for their ascension.

The internet mock-o-sphere made perhaps the wrongest possible choice in favorite targets in that time.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Wasn’t that Reddit’s fault though? I remember at the time they were all mean young men acting far worse than any group of teenage girls ever could because at the root was a genuine hate of anyone who wasn’t a white young straight Cis man.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'd submit that in the age of 9/11 if you were going to mock someone online, it was a much tougher choice to go after the "common sense, roll up your sleeves, get 'r done, no time for this wussy self-absorbed PC bullshit" side instead of the ones who looked more like they were living in an escapist fantasy world of personal grievances.

Throw in a dose of South Park and I'm surprised there was anyone the wind didn't blow to the nazi side.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I'm kind of amazed that Dilbert is still running, but not amazed at this take because Scott Adams is both a mega-chud and a total moron. Surprised he doesn't show up in this thread more to be honest!

Truly the Wimp Lo of reporters (sorry, ""reporters"").

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Speaking of 9/11 I found a 9/11 fanfic on a dragon pet site. Idk if its idiotic but it did make me laugh. Bolding mine

quote:

I moved from my home in the Light Flight to find a new home in the Wind Flight in the Clan of the Singing Winds. The leader of the clan welcomed me to the flight and presented me with a choice: I could name myself without any help or go to the Pond of the Singing Winds where I would see a vision that might lead me to find a perfect name for myself. Given this choice, I decided to go to the Pond of the Singing Winds, which was a large pool of crystal clear water. The leader of the clan, Kristoff, told me that all I had to do was touch my nose to the water, close my eyes, and calm my mind and the pool would give me a vision.

I didn't believe him at first, but I found out that he spoke only the truth when it happened. It was as if clouds had filled my calm mind, I was flying through some clouds, I felt happy, as if this day could be nothing but good. When I broke through the clouds, I saw a very large city with tons of tall buildings and I found myself grinding to a stop when I saw a metal bird of some sort careen into a tall building which stood near a building which stood just as tall as it and only a few feet away from it.

I watched in horror as the tower fell down, the panic of the humans below and those from within the towers. My dream had turned into a nightmare, this once happy day was now quite the opposite. I fled, I flew away, or at least that's what I thought. It was more like the vision had changed and I was somewhere else, watching another metal bird crash, this time into a field. After seeing that, the vision changed yet again and I was looking at a pentagon shaped structure and yet again, there was another metal bird flying into it.

What is with all these metal birds flying into things? Can they not fly well? I wondered to myself.
"Those are not metal birds, they are airplanes," a voice spoke to me, sounding as if it came from all around me, though I could see no one and it did not sound like any voice I had ever heard before, "They are a form of transportation for humans that they created."
"Oh, so...these metal birds have just been badly controlled ones then?"
"No, these airplanes were hijacked to send a message to these people," the voice informed me solemnly, "They hijacked them with the intent of destroying the spirit of people within this country, they killed many on this day. The day when the world stopped turning."
"Oh," I replied, "That's horrible, but I don't understand. Why am I being shown this?"
"You are the 9,112,001 dragon to be born, the date of this tragedy is 9/11/2001. That is why."
"I see, but what does this have to do with helping me find my name?"
"That, is for you to discover," the voice told me and I felt as if the presence had left me to learn things on my own.

I flew down and found somewhere that I could hide and watch the humans watch the news on their boxes that showed moving pictures, televisions I think they are called. I learned more about what happened and I learned of the honor that the people within one of the planes had shown by fighting off the hijacker and taking control of the plane and redirecting it.
These are honorable people indeed, I thought to myself, and they deserve to be honored.
In that moment, I knew what my name would be.
"What is your name?" It was Kristoff's voice calling me back from my vision.
"I am Honor," I replied, my eyes opening to look up at him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Well, it's unfortunately a favorite pastime of idiots so... 🤷🏻‍♀️

I feel like here it's mostly born of ignorance and most poster are willing to learn but maaaaan lots of people just can't resist pushing back when someone with lived experience tells them to stay in their loving lane.

In general? Yeah, idiots love to punch down and they should be thrown in a lake for it. A deep lake.

FWIW your posting and others' here have helped me grow and mature on the issue a lot over the years, so I appreciate your patience in wading through the bullshit and putting up with our ignorant-rear end poo poo in general. Sorry us straight white dude are so lovely!