Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have come so goddamn close to buying that star destroyer so many times. Probably should just rip the bandaid off. It’s not like I’m gonna allow myself not to get it before it’s gone. 700 hundred friggin dollars though…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

RatHat posted:

I'm about to disassemble my Fire Brigade modular set to sell it and I've learned apparently the Dark red pieces have a tendency to break? I know I can contact Lego for replacements but I hope they still have those parts available.

EDIT: Checked Bricklink and thankfully all the dark red pieces are in a ton of sets so it'll be really cheap to buy replacements if necessary.
Just go slow and be careful. If you need to replace dark red pieces, you may suffer a color mismatch. Fire Brigade came out in 2009, meaning it should still have the original Dark Red color. In 2010 or so, it was changed to New Dark Red, and its shade was changed again in 2018 or 2019. But if you go to buy some used Dark Red pieces on Bricklink, you have literally no way to distinguish any of these generations/eras/shades because Bricklink calls them all "Dark Red" and doesn't require, or even have a system to allow, sellers to differentiate. You'll be rolling the dice.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

veni veni veni posted:

I have come so goddamn close to buying that star destroyer so many times. Probably should just rip the bandaid off. It’s not like I’m gonna allow myself not to get it before it’s gone. 700 hundred friggin dollars though…

Kits like that and the Falcon are just beyond the outer limit of what I’d play with or be able to display. I’d love to have them if I had a huge house or something, but I don’t.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dogen posted:

Kits like that and the Falcon are just beyond the outer limit of what I’d play with or be able to display. I’d love to have them if I had a huge house or something, but I don’t.

Yeah it's so big I'd have to reconsider my current display and probably have put all of my UCS Starfighters into storage to make space for it.

Only reason I have the Falcon is that it was a gift. It's pretty manageable if you get a stand for it though. Personally the most i have ever dropped on a set was $350 for Mos Eisley. To me the ISD is like the coolest SW set ever though. If I don't get it, I know I'll just be super mad at myself when it's $1500 a year after it goes out of production lol. It'll probably be the one and only time I'll spend that much on a set, although get back to me if the AT-AT rumors pan out to be true. Still I have come just minutes shy of pulling the trigger nothing short of 20 times now. The cost is just such a hard pill to swallow. I think I am going to sell some stuff first so I can feel less guilty about it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Carbohydrates posted:

Just go slow and be careful. If you need to replace dark red pieces, you may suffer a color mismatch. Fire Brigade came out in 2009, meaning it should still have the original Dark Red color. In 2010 or so, it was changed to New Dark Red, and its shade was changed again in 2018 or 2019. But if you go to buy some used Dark Red pieces on Bricklink, you have literally no way to distinguish any of these generations/eras/shades because Bricklink calls them all "Dark Red" and doesn't require, or even have a system to allow, sellers to differentiate. You'll be rolling the dice.

Ugh this is a huge pain. I wonder if I should try to sell the set already put together to avoid this.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

veni veni veni posted:

The cost is just such a hard pill to swallow. I think I am going to sell some stuff first so I can feel less guilty about it.

Just put aside a chunk of however much you'd normally spend on entertainment a month until you have enough for it, that way you'll feel like you've earned it a bit more and the anticipation of knowing when you'll be able to order it will make you enjoy it all the more

Or just order the fuckin thing and enjoy it, life is too short

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah it's so big I'd have to reconsider my current display and probably have put all of my UCS Starfighters into storage to make space for it.

Only reason I have the Falcon is that it was a gift. It's pretty manageable if you get a stand for it though. Personally the most i have ever dropped on a set was $350 for Mos Eisley. To me the ISD is like the coolest SW set ever though. If I don't get it, I know I'll just be super mad at myself when it's $1500 a year after it goes out of production lol. It'll probably be the one and only time I'll spend that much on a set, although get back to me if the AT-AT rumors pan out to be true. Still I have come just minutes shy of pulling the trigger nothing short of 20 times now. The cost is just such a hard pill to swallow. I think I am going to sell some stuff first so I can feel less guilty about it.

Sleep on it a few more nights and if you still feel the same, do it. So long as there isn’t any undue sacrifice you need to perform to make it happen.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Butterfly Valley posted:

Just put aside a chunk of however much you'd normally spend on entertainment a month until you have enough for it, that way you'll feel like you've earned it a bit more and the anticipation of knowing when you'll be able to order it will make you enjoy it all the more

Or just order the fuckin thing and enjoy it, life is too short

Any time there's something I think I'll want I go ahead and order it. If I end up not wanting it I can usually sell it for more than I paid for or get store credit for something new I want if it's still on shelves. I think they do 10% restocking fee now for anything over $500 though...

Point is, when it comes to Lego just buy it if you can afford it. The likelihood of it not paying off in some way is pretty unlikely.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Just think about 5 hours of an actual fun build followed by 16 hours of greebling.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Those sound like the same thing to me. How much aligning of tiles with a brick separator will there be?

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
I made an incredibly stupid thing and I'd like you to vote for it if you would:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/41918c77-c9e0-410b-ad1f-948a368c6619

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Just think about 5 hours of an actual fun build followed by 16 hours of greebling.

Correction: 5 hours of tedious Technic frame building followed by 16 hours of fun.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

AllisonByProxy posted:

I really like those condiment dispensers

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Is the ISD the largest object, real or fictional, to be represented in an official lego set (bear in mind the world map is merely a map and not depicting the world itself :spergin:)? That makes it kind of neat.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think the Great Wall set beats it, although I suppose it’s not to scale.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Is the ISD the largest object, real or fictional, to be represented in an official lego set (bear in mind the world map is merely a map and not depicting the world itself :spergin:)? That makes it kind of neat.

There's the SSD and Death Star

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

The Death Star and SSD from Star Wars are larger. I think there's a model of Thanos' ship in a set and that's vaguely in the same ballpark.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Ah yes the SSD is the one I was thinking of- it’s been years since I’ve seen the movies :sweatdrop:

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

AllisonByProxy posted:

Done

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Do planets count as objects?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lego works the same way.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That death star piece is 100% worth having. The other planets are pretty uninteresting but a hand sized death star? gently caress yeah.

I kinda miss lego doing sets where the container is also lego pieces. They had those transparent puck like containers too with the plastic discs you could twist off. Some really cool builds have been done with those over the years.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Lego has apparently cancelled the Vidiyo line. Retailers are unable to order any more of the sets.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

The_Doctor posted:

Lego has apparently cancelled the Vidiyo line. Retailers are unable to order any more of the sets.

Finally more boxes for printed pieces!

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

The_Doctor posted:

That theme sounded like such a loser from the start, where are castle and pirates lego?!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Is that the new music playing stuff? Because those minifigs we're off the drat chain. It'd be sad if they stopped making them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That new tie fighter is only $30 on Amazon right now, so I grabbed one to do an interceptor conversion. It's not like Lego is ever going to give me one so I guess I have to make it happen myself.

This guy's conversion is awesome and looks amazing. It does use a few extra parts though. Hopefully I have them...I think I do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtzeJoI-lIE

I am still surprised how much they were able to cut the price compared to the last Tie considering the only sacrifice seems to be smaller wings (tbf the Solo tie was was bafflingly over priced to begin with) . It's way too chibi looking for me though. But man that's a nice pool of parts for building the Ties Lego has neglected. I am half tempted to buy an extra and make a bomber as well.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Scipiotik posted:

That theme sounded like such a loser from the start, where are castle and pirates lego?!

Explorians or riot!

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

The_Doctor posted:

That's a shame, the upcoming proper sets looked pretty cool, and I might have bought the Punk Pirate Ship. I got several of the minifigs from Bricklink, they're fantastic.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’m not surprised. I know there was “more” to it, but it looked like you were buying a single minifig for $20. I’m sure every parent that saw it thought it seemed like a horrendous deal. And I’m not sure they are wrong.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

The_Doctor posted:

Same for Monkie Kid.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Jehde posted:

I finally got pieces in to build Carbohydrates' 1940 pickup truck! A bit different from my usual gaggle of rally cars.

I built mine, too! I designed it in yellow, "finished" it in brown, and then made a last-minute switch when ordering the parts to bright light yellow.

Design stream tonight at 7PM Central / 4.5 hours away!

treetheheavy
Mar 28, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

A stand for the falcon is so critical. I ended up getting the Wicked Brick stand, and it looks a thousand times better.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I thought I was done with LEGO and then I found out they're making a VW T2 in the same god drat color as my 68 T2. drat it. I also opted to order the FIAT because I have a modern 500 and I want both models sitting next to each other on the shelf.

gently caress you LEGO.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Dimensions, Hidden Side, Vidiyo. That's 3 failed toys + tech lines. Are these types of things succeeding for other toy companies?

I do kinda want the ice cream cone mermaid figure. She's fun in a 'lol wut' kinda way.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

deoju posted:

Dimensions, Hidden Side, Vidiyo. That's 3 failed toys + tech lines. Are these types of things succeeding for other toy companies?

I do kinda want the ice cream cone mermaid figure. She's fun in a 'lol wut' kinda way.

While Vidiyo does seem to have been a big enough financial failure for them to cut production I bet the data they got on the app users was invaluable and worth the somewhat dud lines.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Update: not cancelled, but certainly regrouping and rethinking. Statement issued tonight by Lego in obvious response to the news:

quote:

We wanted to provide you with an update regarding LEGO VIDIYO.

As you know, we launched LEGO VIDIYO in January to connect with children in a completely new way, blending music, digital play and LEGO building in a fun and unique way. The product tested extremely well during development and has received really positive feedback from those children and families who have played with it.

We’ve seen a positive response to the launch, but we’ve also received feedback from people that we could make the play experience across the app, BeatBits, music and minifigures even simpler. So, we’re taking that onboard and together with Universal Music Group are going to pilot some new ideas in 2022, then release new play experiences in 2023 and beyond.

LEGO VIDIYO is very much still available, the current products will continue to be sold in stores and marketed globally, and we’re continuing to support this fantastic play experience, including new updates and fun challenges to the app to inspire children’s creative music video making.

Thank you for your continued support of the LEGO brand, we hope for your understanding behind this decision.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

deoju posted:

Thanks for pointing her out. I'll try to add her to my fig collection.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Scipiotik posted:

I have a feeling that, while not my thing, the enthusiasm for Castle in the Forest did not go unnoticed. The new Blacksmith is the Pirates of Barracuda Bay for anyone who missed out on the Medieval Market Village (one of the GOAT) and its ilk, I have a feeling they'll release an official official revived Castle set before long. Bear in mind the process takes as long as it does but I'm confident we'll see one. :black101:

e:

Carbohydrates posted:

Same for Monkie Kid.

especially if they have to continue axing product lines after 1.5 cycles, hopefully they'll remember which side their bread is buttered on :reject:

I loved the little shop that came with the big Megazord guy :negative:

crazy eyes mustafa fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I decided I'll buy the Blacksmith at the end of the year if I can't convince myself otherwise or don't convince myself to get it sooner. I like that roof. The closer I look I realize overall it's a very agreeable composition and well-designed set.