Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I said come in! posted:

How is rFactor 2? I have been intimidated by the complaints on Steam about the UI, but there was apparently an overhaul? ACC by the way is $16 on Humble Bundle.

Totally depends on the cars and tracks, and by that I mean totally depends on the third party mods/stuff you use, because the game’s content is quite limited. There is third party content especially in GT3 and Class1 that not only rivals other, first party sims in that regard, but even surpasses it imo…..which then again is dependent on wether the third party racing track you prefer is setup correctly…

Tbh: I haven’t touched it since two years, so I assume a lot has changed, but after that one big R3E physics update, I got the same out of that (with the cars adapted to the new physics model), plus way more first party tracks to race on.

It’s a shame, actually, because the physics model of rFactor 2 seems to be really good when everything fits perfectly together, but I got the feeling (years ago) that the whole platform is a bit abandoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

VelociBacon posted:

This is how I have my rig with the same pedals:

I think you need to adjust your seat though as well, I was having a lot of left knee pain when I was too close and too low in my seating position. If you have a proper racing seat you should have it angled so that your leg (your thigh) is supported by it. When I was having knee pain (in an office chair with locking casters) I noticed that I could feel myself using the muscles around my knee to basically hold my leg in position, especially off the brake.

I think it also helped a lot to set my brake up so that I could rest my foot lightly on it without it applying any braking force in the game. I did this by going to the fanatec property page for the pedals and then putting my foot on the brake as if I was approaching a braking zone, then clicked the 'set min' on the brake so that it would only register force exceeding that pressure as braking force. If you or anyone else is reading this (with this LC brake) and you don't do this already you're actually either slightly braking when you don't want to yet or you're not able to properly modulate the onset of your braking force (because your foot isn't already on the brake).

e; yes those are drywall anchors holding down the back of my pedals.

e2: no they're not always that clean, I just finished taking them apart to install hall sensors and to grease everything.

This is good stuff, thanks.

I moved my brake over quite a bit, so it's really close to the clutch, and it's helped, I also learned back my seat a bit but I haven't raced since doing it. Might also lower the pedals a bit. Just getting dialed in

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

This is good stuff, thanks.

I moved my brake over quite a bit, so it's really close to the clutch, and it's helped, I also learned back my seat a bit but I haven't raced since doing it. Might also lower the pedals a bit. Just getting dialed in

Ergonomics are a huge thing. I was getting some nasty wrist pain, especially in ACC and all it took to fix it was lowering my seat 1/2" and moving the wheel away from me about 1 inch. Completely solved the issue. There's lots of guides out there on this, This One Seems Decent

I also found this thread helpful

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Top day today at Silverstone, the crowd went insane when Lewis punted Max off :laugh:
The ending was awesome, real nail biter and one of those things that was a pleasure to witness, just a great time

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
That's a pretty good seat. Nice dude.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Zaphod42 posted:

That's a pretty good seat. Nice dude.

It was awesome man, such a buzzing atmosphere, having Lewis catch Leclerc in the last few laps just made the crowd more and more intense every time they came around, it was a lot of fun - Weather was cool, Red Arrows were awesome.
To me it was an odd sensation seeing all those dudes in the flesh, a real rush.

I'll go through my phone and see if I have any good vids, I got one of the crowd reaction to Lewis's punt which was like 'YES!!, NOOOooo. erm (then Lewis came around the corner) YEEESSSS' :lol:

Edit: Dunno if this will work

https://streamable.com/a8vmjq

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 18, 2021

Brackit
Jan 23, 2019
I'm just getting back into sim racing, and I'm loving the "driving school" they have in Dirt 4. Are there any circuit racing sims that feature a lesson plan that teaches you how to properly drive on a race track?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I mean, Gran Turismo has it's license tests, I feel like that gives a fairly decent road racing introduction and breakdown of how to tackle corners.

Here's a bunch of recommendations for YouTube videos including the ever popular Skip Barber Going Faster. One guy suggests GTR2's tutorials but I've never played so I can't really offer much there, and it's 15 years old, although the fundamentals haven't really changed. Assetto Corsa's half-assed career mode definitely doesn't have any tutorial functionality.

https://www.reddit.com/r/simracing/comments/8hf9sp/are_there_any_racing_sim_fundamentals_tutorials_i

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 22, 2021

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Another racing cockpit for sale. $300 normally down to $159. Price will show as $179 until checkout.

Next Level Racing F-GT Lite Black Simulator Cockpit
https://www.gamestop.com/toys-colle...pit/213765.html

No idea how good it is just bringing it to attention.

Cage fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 22, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Cage posted:

Another racing cockpit for sale. $300 normally down to $159. Price will show as $179 until checkout.

That looks pretty nice. Do most of you have dedicated simming areas and monitors for racing games?

I use this kind of thing, which is basically the same except without the seat. I position it in front of my couch and it works pretty well actually.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Dedicated rig? Yes. Although I started with something smaller and worked my way up to what I have now.

Monitors?? VR :cool:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

One guy suggests GTR2's tutorials but I've never played so I can't really offer much there]

GTR2’s track tutorials are really good since they break the track down into sections so you can learn each sequence before it asks you to put it all together.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Cage posted:

Thanks. I’m moving next month to a tiny apartment and I was wondering how I was going to manage my huge DIY rig. Just ordered this so that’s one less thing to think about.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Cage posted:

Hmmm, looks kinda nice for that price. Briefly glanced into getting one since I now have space/money if I wanted to and a big part of falling out with sim racing last 'bout was getting a budget wheel/pedals and then stopping because the hassle of setup/teardown every time I wanted to race.

Then I'd probably want to get VR too though because my monitor is at-the-desk-use sized. :retrogames:

And probably get better pedals because the included ones with the T-150 (think that's what I have, it's hiding somewhere) are real cheap. :retrogames: :retrogames:

Was a sale length hiding somewhere for how long to hem and haw about it?

Edit: Welp, after looking at reviews and other more budget oriented options--$160 seems like too good a deal so I went for it. :retrogames: At least it folds away nicely if my sim racing kick is short lived. :laugh:

bUm fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 23, 2021

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

bUm posted:

Hmmm, looks kinda nice for that price. Briefly glanced into getting one since I now have space/money if I wanted to and a big part of falling out with sim racing last 'bout was getting a budget wheel/pedals and then stopping because the hassle of setup/teardown every time I wanted to race.

I was once like you. Same issues, although I didn't want VR since I hate wearing my headset for more than like 30 minutes.

It's a slippery slope is all I'll say.

(Work in progress as far as making it look nice, plus I still need to permamount my tablet for second dash as well as my button box)
This is in rally config at the moment, for GT3 I swap in the wheel you see way off on the left on the futon, although I leave the rally shifter/handbrake on because they're more trouble to remove than it's worth.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Thaqnks guys I'll show that pic to myfiancee and tell her I could be doing this instead of my current setup.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Idk about those speakers crowding around the seat. I think they're up to no good. Be careful.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

tater_salad posted:

Thaqnks guys I'll show that pic to myfiancee and tell her I could be doing this instead of my current setup.

It does actually look much nicer after cable stuff, that's an old picture, but there really wasn't a good place to put it for time being so it's temporarily in front of the basement fireplace that we can't use due to a chimney issue. It'll be moved somewhere better in the fall when my sister in law takes our old couch, but nothing is going to make it any smaller. It's enormous, and only has 27 inch monitors. Rigs can get ridiculous.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

GhostDog posted:

Idk about those speakers crowding around the seat. I think they're up to no good. Be careful.

Why are they trying get into his blind spots? Watch your back OP

tater_salad posted:

Lol, yeah that's part of why I got the folding stand I posted earlier. It actually folds right down with everything still attached, then I move it to the side of my entertainment system nice and out of the way. I don't like living in large places, I have a fondness for little apartments and cabins so being able to break it down is crucial for me.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I love my full rig but I do wish a lot of the time that I got something foldable I could store. My rig got me through the pandemic but I’m tired of explaining it to dates and having to say no, it’s not a sex thing.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

But if there are mods for that I would be open to the option

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Why do you have to zip up your pants every time you get off that rig, house of dad?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

house of the dad posted:

... explaining it to dates and having to say no, it’s not a sex thing.

lol yeah right. Maybe don't leave your bad dragon in the seat.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

house of the dad posted:

I love my full rig but I do wish a lot of the time that I got something foldable I could store. My rig got me through the pandemic but I’m tired of explaining it to dates and having to say no, it’s not a sex thing.

I'm sure if you put your mind to it it could be a sex thing. Don't give up so easy!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I once got a BJ while playing Gran Turismo 3 back in college. Does that count?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KillHour posted:

PC Sim Racing: I once got a BJ while playing Gran Turismo 3 back in college

:mods: please

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Not a PC sim. :colbert:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Shine posted:

Not a PC sim. :colbert:

https://pcsx2.net/ :colbert:

It truly is the PC virgins vs the console Chads.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

KillHour posted:

Sim Racing: I once got a BJ while playing Gran Turismo 3

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

KillHour posted:

Mods please go change the GT thread title to this. Do not explain why.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

KillHour posted:

How was the stimulation value?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Real Driving Stimulator

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

This might be useful if anyone is in Canada, or is interested in moving from their GT Omega wheelstand into a cockpit.

So I have the GT Omega Apex wheelstand, which is fantastic and recommended by the Dirty Discord Boys (join the discord) and genuinely a huge step up from desk-mounting your stuff. GT Omega themselves have a Canadian distribution/website so I didn't have to pay customs or anything, which is fantastic.

I recently started using VR for sim racing so I decided to figure out a way of having a dedicated cockpit/rig beside my PC desk so that I don't have to move anything when I want to hop in a session. I was happy to find out that GT Omega actually make an add-on piece that extends the wheelstand and allows a spot to mount a seat. This was out of stock in Canada and the GT Omega Canadian amazon page for the longest time but they came into stock a couple weeks ago and I picked it up with prime shipping, great.

I started to realize that the Gt Omega seats are super hard to come by, never in stock on amazon or their website. Using tools like camelcamelcamel to see historical pricing I noted that the seats basically hadn't been in stock for 6 months. I sent an email and they didn't really have any answers for me about when I could expect them. I started looking online for bucket seats that I could buy and adapt to the frame but actually ended up clicking on this listing for a "Minneer" seat and found that the few reviews mention that it bolts right up to the Apex seat base extension after you flip the L brackets on the seat, and it has a working seat slider and isn't a garish RACERBOY kinda thing.

I'll let you all know when it arrives (in early August) but thought I'd mention it for other Canadian people having to deal with customs, import fees, etc.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
After spinning out and crashing into barriers for the majority of my F1 2020 career, I picked up F1 2021 and I'm not going to say it's easier at all, but for some reason I'm now having almost no problems completing laps/races without binning it. I'm playing on all the same assists/difficulties as 2020, but I guess they really changed the physics models and the like? I'm not doing better/worse as far as my times/finishing places, but now I'm getting there without having to use Flashback like a million times. For this alone I already like 2021 a lot more than 2020. Aside from the killer kerbs, I'm having a hard time finding online what exactly changed between the games as far as the simulation itself.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
It is possible that you are in fact getting better

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

It is possible that you are in fact getting better

My votes are assists are on and they weren't before.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

tater_salad posted:

My votes are assists are on and they weren't before.

Nope, I made it a point to go through it all and turn everything off again (I'm even teaching myself to do unassisted starts). The only assists I run are pit lane assists and auto DRS. It just felt like a night and day difference to go from one game spinning everywhere to the other game, same tracks, same setups, and being able to complete laps in the same difficulty (middling, like 75-85 depending on the track) and roughly the same times. Makes the game fun again for me.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Did you maybe change some wheel settings in the interim? They didn't really change anything much in the car dynamics side between 2020 and 2021 I don't think.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Maybe I did get magically better in the interim, then. I'm not complaining, I'm just happily curious. This thread also got me to get an iracing account and I'm totally lost there but I'm also having fun crashing into new and exciting walls with new and exciting cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Fhqwhgads posted:

Maybe I did get magically better in the interim, then. I'm not complaining, I'm just happily curious. This thread also got me to get an iracing account and I'm totally lost there but I'm also having fun crashing into new and exciting walls with new and exciting cars.

You need to join us in the iRacing discord for weekly hosted races and endurance events with drivers of all skill levels!