Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Thoguh posted:

lmao no one is ever going to post about a breakthrough infection in this thread ever again because they'll get a million angry goons demanding to know if they checked their respirator straps before they came within 20 feet of the the person that was handing them curbside pickup.

advice for future goons who want to post about breakthrough cases- just lie and say you got it from your job, especially if you work at one of the many places that has people working on site or will be dragging them back in shortly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Googes
Sep 2, 2006

Not much bro, just dancin on a streetlamp
Decided to catch up on the covid thread a few days ago and welp

Thanks to "nobody wanting to work" at the restaurant I'm working at my schedule was hosed up enough (~70 hr weeks) that I wasn't able to get my first shot until the beginning of this month, now I'm flashing back to xcom percentages every day until I get my second one on august 2nd

ISU classes start back up on August 23rd and everyone's currently helping each other shuffle around apartments lmao

It's a good thing I'm already a weirdo shut-in whose only real activities outside of work/grocery store are painting miniatures and walking around in the woods

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

We've been yelling at the federal government and the cdc to do something since april of 2020. they aren't going to.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Can y'all tell me how stupid I was?

We needed some farm equipment so we went to two auctions last weekend looking for it (because we couldn't find it locally; not even for order). I had a respirator on 100% of the time except when in my own car, windows up, hand sanitizer everywhere. Auction 1 was in a huge barn with all huge doors open and fans pushing air everywhere but 0 people other than me were masked. I was 6 ft away from people at all times except when someone walked past. Auction 2 was also in a barn with all doors open and fans everywhere, too, though distancing was probably 4-5ft instead of 6 and very few were wearing masks.

In both of these areas, there's been very low community spread. We're talking 3-4 cases per week for the past several weeks. I've been vaccinated since early May (2x Moderna).

I'm feeling like this was probably about the same risk as anything else because I am always the only person with ppe anywhere I go these days; groceries, feed store, take-out, paying bills I can't pay online, etc.

Sometimes you have to do poo poo if not doing it is going to cause problems, loss of income, suffering etc.
Sounds like you needed to go to those auctions to get stuff to keep your farm operating and you took all reasonable precautions.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

navyjack posted:

I’m getting that lockdown feeling again. I know the prevailing wisdom is that USA will never lockdown again, but if the return to school ends up with the slaughter of the innocents, it might happen.

That in mind, I’m gonna do all the things I wish I’d done before the previous lockdown. Costco run to get my rice, bean, TP, flour, yeast, etc game on point.

What did everybody here wish they had known/done (or we glad that they knew/did) before March 2020?

It’s hard to say. I wish I had known then what I know now, obviously, but a lot of the really critical information wasn’t as easy to come by and I hadn’t gotten into the habit of seeking it out. I should have been more of an obsessive weirdo for sure.

I was definitely wearing a bandanna around for way too long, although even that seemed like overkill when everyone else was still wearing nothing. One thing that I’ve decided about PPE is that overkill is the opposite of gettin killed. I’ve also learned to really, really not trust the CDC, which other people already knew not to do, but I ended up learning it too. I’d say if the man tells you that six feet is good, think twelve. If they tell you no mask, mask. If they tell you two masks, respirator. Cool people are cool about this, if they’re even a little weird about it just say you’re crazy and ask them to respect that. It works on everyone I wanted to talk to in the first place.

Stocking up on a humane and affordable amount of stable goods isn’t ever going to gently caress you over. Don’t go and buy all the toilet paper at the costco, obviously, but having enough of something you use all the time to float you for a few weeks or months is unlikely to be a regrettable decision. It’s hard to predict which particular supply chains are going to break, so I wouldn’t laugh at anybody who wanted to buy an extra box of toothbrushes or light bulbs or whatever on top of the classics. Beans and rice are a good call, canned goods are great, maybe a new set of solid shoes if the ones you have are on the way out, household basics, affordable quantities of stuff that doesn’t go bad that you’ll end up wanting either way is a good investment.

Masks seem like one of the few items to stock up on right this second, there seem to be a lot of clearance sales going on that are likely to get right back to regular price in the near future. Even if they don’t, buying a bunch of n95s for cheap and being wrong about it is better than being late to the game and paying the same money for fewer masks or worse quality. If you’re ever going to buy masks, now is probably the time.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Shiroc posted:

bawfuls you really gotta stop arguing in this thread like its about the Astros cheating in the World Series, take the L and I hope you recover and don't get hosed up lungs or brains.
The Astros took the W though

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

We needed some farm equipment so we went to two auctions last weekend

You're fine. My rule of thumb is that any mask+outdoors+vaccine is good enough. If local cases are low, then just mask+outdoors is fine (i.e. kids playing together).
At some point a crowd could get dense enough to feel like indoors, which is where I think you should always have kf94 or better if around a bunch of strangers.

So few people are taking any precautions at all that just keeping an eye on local cases can tell you a lot about if covid is around because it spreads fast in this environment where everyone lost their fear and returned to being naive.

My 80 year old step mother in law, who is on immuno suppressants (so even she acknowledged the vaccine might not have worked for her) is flying to Florida. I gave her some of my n95s since she has used nothing but cloth this whole time. Is it the right move? No, just due to case counts, but if she'd flown around memorial day it would have been ok to do

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 13:52 on Jul 23, 2021

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Only 30% of kids aged 12-15 have been signed up for the vaccine here. Parents would rather gamble their lives and health on a virtually guaranteed Delta infection and 1/12 risk of long COVID than the vaccine. :lmao:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Real Mean Queen posted:

It’s hard to say. I wish I had known then what I know now, obviously, but a lot of the really critical information wasn’t as easy to come by and I hadn’t gotten into the habit of seeking it out. I should have been more of an obsessive weirdo for sure.

I was definitely wearing a bandanna around for way too long, although even that seemed like overkill when everyone else was still wearing nothing. One thing that I’ve decided about PPE is that overkill is the opposite of gettin killed. I’ve also learned to really, really not trust the CDC, which other people already knew not to do, but I ended up learning it too. I’d say if the man tells you that six feet is good, think twelve. If they tell you no mask, mask. If they tell you two masks, respirator. Cool people are cool about this, if they’re even a little weird about it just say you’re crazy and ask them to respect that. It works on everyone I wanted to talk to in the first place.

Stocking up on a humane and affordable amount of stable goods isn’t ever going to gently caress you over. Don’t go and buy all the toilet paper at the costco, obviously, but having enough of something you use all the time to float you for a few weeks or months is unlikely to be a regrettable decision. It’s hard to predict which particular supply chains are going to break, so I wouldn’t laugh at anybody who wanted to buy an extra box of toothbrushes or light bulbs or whatever on top of the classics. Beans and rice are a good call, canned goods are great, maybe a new set of solid shoes if the ones you have are on the way out, household basics, affordable quantities of stuff that doesn’t go bad that you’ll end up wanting either way is a good investment.

Masks seem like one of the few items to stock up on right this second, there seem to be a lot of clearance sales going on that are likely to get right back to regular price in the near future. Even if they don’t, buying a bunch of n95s for cheap and being wrong about it is better than being late to the game and paying the same money for fewer masks or worse quality. If you’re ever going to buy masks, now is probably the time.

Ever since I changed my stance from 'this is no big deal' to 'this is a loving big deal' in March last year, my perspective has been whatever the government says, I'm taking precautions at least a year beyond that.

This seems to be paying dividends. Government says mask off, I keep mine on, two months later oh god they were wrong who could have predicted :nallears:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

this is the most over covid has been in terms of ending

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

We needed some farm equipment so we went to two auctions last weekend looking for it (because we couldn't find it locally; not even for order). I had a respirator on 100% of the time except when in my own car, windows up, hand sanitizer everywhere. Auction 1 was in a huge barn with all huge doors open and fans pushing air everywhere but 0 people other than me were masked. I was 6 ft away from people at all times except when someone walked past. Auction 2 was also in a barn with all doors open and fans everywhere, too, though distancing was probably 4-5ft instead of 6 and very few were wearing masks.

In both of these areas, there's been very low community spread. We're talking 3-4 cases per week for the past several weeks. I've been vaccinated since early May (2x Moderna).

I'm feeling like this was probably about the same risk as anything else because I am always the only person with ppe anywhere I go these days; groceries, feed store, take-out, paying bills I can't pay online, etc.

A respirator should work in a covid ward. I wouldn't worry.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Business Gorillas posted:

Things you should do if you haven't already:
- buy weightlifting equipment before it triples in price again. I also suggest a yoga mat
- buy your mask of choice or respirators in bulk
- don't goon out this time. pick a hobby or skill and give yourself time in your day to work on it. build a daily schedule to keep yourself regimented and stick to it
- budget out a part of every day to love yourself. It doesn't matter if it's getting drunk doomposting or (what I'm doing) smoking a bowl in my bathtub listening to Mozart, just do something nice for yourself daily. If things do get bad again, it's going to be way worse than the last time. The liberals want you terrified and alone and frankly, you have a responsibility not to let them do that to you

thank you for this!

i just picked up a couple more 45# bumper plates. they are so cheap right now!!

i got into archery, myself (big target in the basement), and my local SRA chapter has had virtual book club & chess club so those have been getting me off my rear end to actually learn things & participate in good leftist conversation

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

genericnick posted:

A respirator should work in a covid ward. I wouldn't worry.

no ppe is 100% effective.

ppe is the last defense, not first.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Vasukhani posted:

abstinence is the only way to be safe

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
that may be the most doomer thing in this thread lol. there’s nothing I wouldn’t feel safe doing in a p100 respirator

unless you plan on never leaving your goon lair, get a loving respirator, wear it, do things, enjoy as much of this lovely life as you can

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Is MLB the show 21 good?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
the best thing about a p100 respirator is that i look cute in one

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Helith posted:

Considering how often The Philippines gets hit by typhoons and natural disasters how common is it for people who are able to, to have stockpiles of food and emergency supplies?

Not very common when it comes to stockpiling food. Anyone who's well-off enough to afford it usually doesn't think that hard about it, and anyone who might actually need it (i.e. they live in a flood-prone area) can't afford to.

Emergency supplies, on the other hand, almost every family has some kind of preparedness for. We've had a strong tradition of public messaging about first-aid and emergency kits because of floods and rolling blackouts.

SplitSoul posted:

What's a more reasonable limit? I just bought a bunch.

basic guideline is 40 hours per mask, less if it's in an area with bad air quality

what I do is, I wear a new mask on Day 1, and at the end of the day, stuff it in a paper bag
new masks again for Days 2, 3, and 4

on Day 5, I re-use the mask I wore on Day 1, and cycle through as necessary

at the end of the month, I dispose of all of them and start over

because I don't actually go out all that often, I don't even think I'm hitting 40 hours of use per mask with this system, but a month is an easy stoppping point to remember to refresh

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Respirators aren't like masks insofar as you don't need everyone wearing them to be maximum efficiency. As long as they weren't coughing in your eyes, I think the agita you're giving yourself rn is an adequate amount of goon flagellation

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
reminder for those of you not on respirator crew that these are pretty good, independently certified, and are the best seal i've personally found esp for glasses fogging https://www.airpophealth.com/us/airpop-light-se-4pcs-white

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Vasukhani posted:

Those hospital studies showed just how effective n95s are let alone the big easy to fit check silicon respirators. You really are safe in them, the problem is people will take them off rather than be hungry or thirsty for an hour

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

I think the agita you're giving yourself rn is an adequate amount of goon flagellation

the best part about this thread is you can easily see everyone's humiliation/degradation/cruelty kinks coming through in every post like one of those fancy reddit flashlights capable of illuminating the moon

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

euphronius posted:

this is the most over covid has been in terms of ending

i'm glad

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Things you should do if you haven't already:
- buy weightlifting equipment before it triples in price again. I also suggest a yoga mat
- buy your mask of choice or respirators in bulk
- don't goon out this time. pick a hobby or skill and give yourself time in your day to work on it. build a daily schedule to keep yourself regimented and stick to it
- budget out a part of every day to love yourself. It doesn't matter if it's getting drunk doomposting or (what I'm doing) smoking a bowl in my bathtub listening to Mozart, just do something nice for yourself daily. If things do get bad again, it's going to be way worse than the last time. The liberals want you terrified and alone and frankly, you have a responsibility not to let them do that to you

yea, but what If I improve my life and happiness, and nothing bad happens?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

This is a good idea and I need to consider if I need anything because last fall it took me like 6 months to successfully get a pair of adjustable dumbells and right now is probably the time to try and take care of anything else I need between the lead times happening because logistics are breaking down and a lot of people maybe noping out of gyms again for a while.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

do we have a lifting thread? I've been keeping an eye on slickdeals and every now and then something pops up for a 300-600 bucks but I can never tell if they're actually any good

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Ugh. Considering getting myself a booster shot if this becomes a thing. Confidence intervals are super broad though so maybe this was a small sample

https://twitter.com/MartinJuhl2/status/1418273528986615809?s=20

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Petey posted:

the best part about this thread is you can easily see everyone's humiliation/degradation/cruelty kinks coming through in every post like one of those fancy reddit flashlights capable of illuminating the moon

Let me be clear: If you wear a respirator to an outdoor event with unmasked people, I will NOT call you "a hosed up little grub" and step on your face with my bare foot

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

i built my own outdoor wooden powerlifting platform in the driveway in april 2020 and told my landlady i would probably only need it for 2-3 months before things reopened safely. lol. lmao

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

do we have a lifting thread? I've been keeping an eye on slickdeals and every now and then something pops up for a 300-600 bucks but I can never tell if they're actually any good

idk if there is one in c-spam but i would post in that one rather than the ylls one and i'm sure fiz would too

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3871067&pagenumber=142&perpage=40

The fitness thread is full of people that are good and strong and are my friend

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

703 posted:

Anyone here lose their sense of taste after getting the Roni but could still feel the heat from hot sauce? Asking for a friend.

spicy is a tongue-taste, like salty or sour. roni fucks up your olfactory taste

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Watching the Olympics opening ceremony and there are so many dicknosers among the athletes parading through.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There's a YLLS thread for asking questions about what stuff is worth buying that probably would give you more info than one in C-SPAM.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

sweat dreams

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Helith posted:

Watching the Olympics opening ceremony and there are so many dicknosers among the athletes parading through.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1418529961128955906

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
christ we have to get out of this state

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

cant believe Rick and Morty guy is now dead but oh well life goes on

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

God drat those infection numbers during summer.

This winter is going to be insane.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Thanks for the thread links time to get swole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fosborb posted:

christ we have to get out of this state

I would say there is no way it's actually still 16 percent but I know personally I have responded to nobody else wearing a mask by just going entirely to curbside pickup and I'm sure I'm not the only one so a lot of that 16% are people doing the same thing.