Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
gently caress Ted Faro. The part in the creche where the first new humans are desperately trying to get the AIs to tell them literally anything is heartbreaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
I don't know why people are bringing up "anprim" as he was clearly only ok with deleting the knowledge to remotely scrub his name, and also that's not what anprim is.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

packetmantis posted:

gently caress Ted Faro. The part in the creche where the first new humans are desperately trying to get the AIs to tell them literally anything is heartbreaking.

yeah those scenes got me

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

The Lone Badger posted:

Also without Apollo there wouldn't be a society technologically advanced enough to read those datapads.

Aloy didn't need APOLLO nor make contact with GAIA to read those datapads mentioning the Faro Plague.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phobophilia posted:

Aloy didn't need APOLLO nor make contact with GAIA to read those datapads mentioning the Faro Plague.

She needed a Focus to be able to learn to read English though. Or hear audio logs.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

Aloy is one woman. Without mass-literacy there will be no mass awareness of Faro's crimes.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

I don't know why people are bringing up "anprim" as he was clearly only ok with deleting the knowledge to remotely scrub his name, and also that's not what anprim is.

Core Control Datapoint, located in the ruins of Gaia prime, chronologically written after Sobeck manually locked GAIA prime from the outside. Chronologically after every other member of the team held a wake for her.

quote:

MARGO SHĔN: Um, Dr. Ronson, I've been getting... a lot of messages, unsolicited messages. From Ted.

CHARLES RONSON: Margo, I'm sorry. With Lis... gone, we've got no-one to run interference with him. I'll talk to Ted. He mostly wants updates, constant updates--hundreds of updates on things he knows nothing about. Lis used to field all of his crap...

MARGO SHĔN: He doesn't understand the systems at all. That was kind of by design. But he's getting pretty sketchy with me.

CHARLES RONSON: We just have to keep him happy. Lis always said keep him happy.

MARGO SHĔN: Are you kidding? You ever hear how she talked to him?

CHARLES RONSON: She was managing him, Margo.

MARGO SHĔN: I mean, maybe I should ignore him. He's buried in his pyramid with the holo-holo girls and Pantah Antimod cuckoos... What can he do?

What does the bolded part mean? It could absolutely be read as a group of primitivists that have finangled their way into the heart and mind of the richest man on Earth. And it also indicates that Faro has been doing alot of deep, heavy thinking, far too much for his stunted little skull.

Now what precedes this datapoint? These three:

quote:

Rest In Peace:
TED FARO: Hello, Lis. I know... I know you're never gonna hear this. That's not the point. You, ah, you got to play the savior and the martyr all at once this time. Great work.

The Future:
TED FARO: What are we going to plug into their heads, Lis? A whole lot of history. A whole lot of so-called truth. A whole lot of noise. It's not pablum, Lis. It's poison.

The Solution:
TED FARO: I've been taking a hard look at the project. In the end it's simple. It's clean. It's clear. It's erasure. It's addition by subtraction. I can make it better, Lis. With a single stroke, make it all go away.

What does this tell us? Faro's explicit motivation that he gives us is he wants to save future society from making our (his) mistakes. Does he have a hidden motivation to hide his shame and humiliation from future generations? Maybe. Every man contains multitudes. But we may never know.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phobophilia posted:

Core Control Datapoint, located in the ruins of Gaia prime, chronologically written after Sobeck manually locked GAIA prime from the outside. Chronologically after every other member of the team held a wake for her.

What does the bolded part mean? It could absolutely be read as a group of primitivists that have finangled their way into the heart and mind of the richest man on Earth. And it also indicates that Faro has been doing alot of deep, heavy thinking, far too much for his stunted little skull.

Now what precedes this datapoint? These three:

What does this tell us? Faro's explicit motivation that he gives us is he wants to save future society from making our (his) mistakes. Does he have a hidden motivation to hide his shame and humiliation from future generations? Maybe. Every man contains multitudes. But we may never know.

Lol, no.

He's a tech billionaire who only cared about self-image. And that image for future generations, carved in stone, is "TED FARO KILLED THE PLANET". It's what drives him into his spiral of self-delusion and looking for anything to justify what he ultimately does. You need to take a look at how he writes those lines, not just what he's writing. Those are the words of a cornered man panicking and coming up with a solution to the problem of "I will be known as worse than Hitler for All Time".

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The text does not explicitly support your reading.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Speculating on a man's motivations is difficult in the best of times, lest we forget this is a story about a fictional character who's motivations are given in brief snippets of dialogue.

The reading can be at most inferred, but it is not set in stone. People are reading far too much into it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You know that phrase "the benefit of the doubt"?. Ted Faro should be given the opposite of that. Everything should be read in the worst possible way.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phobophilia posted:

Speculating on a man's motivations is difficult in the best of times, lest we forget this is a story about a fictional character who's motivations are given in brief snippets of dialogue.

The reading can be at most inferred, but it is not set in stone. People are reading far too much into it.

Uhh, no. Ted Faro's entire storyline is thus;

"I need to spin this, the malfunctioning robots have my name on the side of them."

"I need to fix this, the malfunctioning robots have my name on the side of them."

"What do you mean, it can't be fixed? The malfunctioning robots have my name on the side of them!"

"OH gently caress, ALL THOSE KILLER ROBOTS HAVE MY NAME ON THE SIDE OF THEM."

"I need to spin this, everyone's calling it the 'Faro Plague!' I'll hitch my cart to Sobecks' project and look like a hero!"

"Oh poo poo, everyone's still calling it the Faro Plague, and they're documenting everything I did!"

"I need to spin this..."

*Wipes all of history so nobody will know it was the fault of Ted Faro, Destroyer of Worlds*

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Phobophilia is the "Horizon Zero Dawn represents a neoliberal tech utopia" guy so I think his reading of the text is just wilfully bad at this point.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Unrelated to Ted Faro (gently caress him), I found an incredibly cute thing in Death Stranding. When you bathe in a hot spring, BB also takes a bath. And he swims! In his little pod! It's too cute for words.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Taeke posted:

lol people ironically giving loving Ted Faro the benefit of doubt itt

gently caress Ted Faro.

To me one of the most memorable bad guys in the last decade+ because it's so loving mundane and human.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Philippe posted:

Unrelated to Ted Faro (gently caress him), I found an incredibly cute thing in Death Stranding. When you bathe in a hot spring, BB also takes a bath. And he swims! In his little pod! It's too cute for words.

Louise.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Ted is deleuded - he doesn't want to be known as history's greatest failure, but equally he can't stand the idea he's been sidelined. As Mr Galaxy Brain surely he should be leading the project, not being humiliated and shuffled off to retirement by his own employees and the darn anti business gubmint. He's desperate to find some genius contribution that everyone else missed.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I know.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Dark Souls 3's second and final DLC starts you off in an area called the Dreg Heap. It's the manifestation of DS3's idea of essentially 'fantasy Big Crunch'; the game's been making a big deal that time and space are getting distorted, and the Dreg Heap is where it's getting distorted towards. Civilizations both great and small converging on each other in a big pile of architectural decay. It's a really neat concept, and a super interesting way to re-use assets, since it's all crashing together; you're climbing sideways on towers and the like.

But the interesting part to me is which assets they thought to re-use. It starts with parts of Londor, the first and last area you visit in DS3. And its boss arena is Direlink Shrine from DS1, which is honestly the only place it could've been. But between those two is the Earthen Peak from DS2, which is only really remembered from A: being one of the resident Poison Zones, and B: having the worst zone transition in the series, where you travel up on an elevator (in a keep open to the elements with collapsed towers) into a... subterranean fortress. Not only do they bring back the poisonous grounds of the Earthen Keep, they even call back to the elevator, by making the way you leave that area to drop down from the now-destroyed elevator shaft.

It's one thing to reuse assets from your own game, that's just smart. Bringing back a classic area is just knowing your audience. But bringing back an area only known for being bad, and trying to make something good out of it? That takes guts.

Because I'm a sucker for it, I'm borrowing from the Inspector Gesicht school (despite not remembering how to spell his name): What other exceptionally interesting or daring ways to re-use assets or designs do people remember?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Because I'm a sucker for it, I'm borrowing from the Inspector Gesicht school (despite not remembering how to spell his name): What other exceptionally interesting or daring ways to re-use assets or designs do people remember?

It was very brave of the Bioware team to make a sequel to Dragon Age consisting of a single cave map and a single outdoor map, but with different boxes placed everywhere imo :hmmyes:

The story of why is kinda interesting though. EA basically wanted to turn Bioware into the same kind of studio as their sports teams where they'd release a minor sequel every year. The Bioware team said heck no and tried their hardest to churn out a full sequel in about a year and a half and welp.

As for a real little thing I like about Dragon Age 2 though, I really like the way they had the rivalry/relationship system. You could keep pissing off a character you didn't like and that would still advance your plot together, but you'd be rivals instead of friends. If you just sort of waffled between being friendly and being a rival for the character that was the only time you didn't build their relationship, which was neat. I like that it was more than just "insert agreement/compliments until friend/lover"

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

It was very brave of the Bioware team to make a sequel to Dragon Age consisting of a single cave map and a single outdoor map, but with different boxes placed everywhere imo :hmmyes:

The story of why is kinda interesting though. EA basically wanted to turn Bioware into the same kind of studio as their sports teams where they'd release a minor sequel every year. The Bioware team said heck no and tried their hardest to churn out a full sequel in about a year and a half and welp.

Isn't that sort of the opposite though, because the reason DA2 has only one dungeon is because they didn't reuse assets from the previous game, decidiing instead to completely redo all art assets despite the short deadline.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

That's part of his motivation but not his entire motivation. From the datapoints it's clear that by the time he gets around to deleting Apollo, he does genuinely believe that technology and knowledge is bad and caused the apocalypse, and that if humanity stays ignorant it can't repeat these mistakes. That's what makes him anprim. It's just very convenient for him that this will also make it so future generations don't know about how badly he hosed up. It could very well be the main unconscious motivation that drives him to rationalize his actions as just, but the end result is the same either way

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Taeke posted:

lol people ironically giving loving Ted Faro the benefit of doubt itt

gently caress Ted Faro.

To me one of the most memorable bad guys in the last decade+ because it's so loving mundane and human.

Yeah, this is what made me despise Ted so much. He's real. Ted wasn't out to murder and destroy just for shits and giggles. He wasn't a morally ambiguous villain, who was doing some terrible poo poo, but in the name of The Greater Good. He was just a rich, selfish rear end in a top hat, who let his ego do all the driving, and did whatever mental gymnastics were necessary to justify it to himself and not feel bad about it. There are Teds in the news every day, loving things over, while they smile and feel like brave, genius saviours.

Anyway, just picture a sports arena packed with people, all chanting "gently caress TED FAIR-OHHH" *CLAP, CLAP, CLAP CLAP CLAP*

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Horizon's main plot is such a success that you don't notice you go through the same boring cave-theme five times.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
People thinking that Faro did what he did out of ego is assigning far more credit to a man who was never malevolent, just incredibly, incredibly stupid. The idea that he actually thinks that what he's doing is a good thing, rather than actually doing it because he's a moustache twirler who would rather destroy the knowledge of humanity rather than be seen in a bad light is far more in-line with his inability to think for more than three seconds about consequences.

Also not quite in a video game, but the opening ceremonies of the Olympics have a medley of video game music - notably games like Nier, Final Fantasy, and Dragon Quest - as the fanfare playing with the countries walking it and drat if it doesn't fit perfectly.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You don’t spend months building a backdoor access to GAIA Prime in secret out of stupidity. Everything Ted Faro did was premeditated, not out of moustache twirling evil, but because he was a cowardly bitch who couldn’t own up to his apocalyptic mistakes. Even as he’s preparing to vent the alphas he’s still justifying it on his own mind. His actions are so reprehensible because they’re so relatable given the behaviors of our own world’s billionaires.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

You don’t spend months building a backdoor access to GAIA Prime in secret out of stupidity. Everything Ted Faro did was premeditated, not out of moustache twirling evil, but because he was a cowardly bitch who couldn’t own up to his apocalyptic mistakes. Even as he’s preparing to vent the alphas he’s still justifying it on his own mind. His actions are so reprehensible because they’re so relatable given the behaviors of our own world’s billionaires.

Exactly. His messages to Sobek are DRIPPING with jealousy that she is the hero, and if he really thought he was doing what was best for humanity, he might have, I dunno, SPOKE TO THEM ABOUT IT rather than spending months deliberately sabotaging the system with the intention to murder everyone at the last moment when there was nothing they could do about it.

He was used to being in charge, being the protagonist of reality, and then got sidelined while people tried to fix his fuckups. He was embarrassed, and rich people get angry when that happens. He absolutely did everything he did out of self interest and ego.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Morpheus posted:

People thinking that Faro did what he did out of ego is assigning far more credit to a man who was never malevolent, just incredibly, incredibly stupid. The idea that he actually thinks that what he's doing is a good thing, rather than actually doing it because he's a moustache twirler who would rather destroy the knowledge of humanity rather than be seen in a bad light is far more in-line with his inability to think for more than three seconds about consequences.

Also not quite in a video game, but the opening ceremonies of the Olympics have a medley of video game music - notably games like Nier, Final Fantasy, and Dragon Quest - as the fanfare playing with the countries walking it and drat if it doesn't fit perfectly.

https://twitter.com/Nymo/status/1418539444722827267?s=20

I never thought that loving SaGa music would ever be played at the Olympics. :psyduck:

(gently caress them for doing the Olympics this year, though.)

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Hel posted:

Isn't that sort of the opposite though, because the reason DA2 has only one dungeon is because they didn't reuse assets from the previous game, decidiing instead to completely redo all art assets despite the short deadline.

Yeah, I just wanted to take a dig at DA2 for reusing the same assets for literally everything, sorry!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Ted definitely fell into anprim philosophy, but I interpret it as the reason he was so susceptible to it was because if technology is inherently the problem, then it's not his fault. He's a stupid gently caress of a tech bro with a huge ego, and he was looking to deny his own blame, so that's tempting and he clung to it. And then, in his mind, he can justify murdering the Alphas and deleting Apollo, because he's saving the world from itself, not just trying to erase his own guilt, which is a convenient side effect. I'm not sure he saw himself primarily trying to hide his own involvement, but he sure saw it as a definite plus if he let himself think about it at all rather than bury it in justifications for why the plague of unstoppable robots that eat everything wasn't actually his fault. Few people are really honest with themselves about their own motivations, and Ted definitely wasn't.

Ted is an incredible villain, really, and way too real and believable.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

This is not my favorite little thing in games, but rather my favorite little game in a thing: there's a full SNES-style RPG in Chrome today for the Olympics, where you face off against six different masters of their respective sports. It's available when you open a new tab.

...and today, work has been pretty slow :getin:

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Ted is definitely one of the best villians of the past ten years thanks to how real his bullshit feels. I love how everyone comes out of that final scene absolutely despising him.

it's extremely clear by that point the whole "I'm giving humanity a clean slate!" Thing is just his extreme rationalization of a solution after the guilt of destroying the world and watching Sobeck save the day drove him into a spiral. He's jealous of Sobeck the whole game, she basically made him to begin with and now she's the hero again. Ted's a terrible egomaniac who can't accept what he's done so he comes up with a twisted solution that just so happens to erase all knowledge of him. He probably believes his own nonsense, but he's clearly gone by that point judging how the others talk about him

The worst part is Ted wins. It's too late when you find out what happened, he already ruined it. gently caress Ted Faro

Febreeze has a new favorite as of 15:52 on Jul 23, 2021

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

RoboRodent posted:

Ted definitely fell into anprim philosophy, but I interpret it as the reason he was so susceptible to it was because if technology is inherently the problem, then it's not his fault. He's a stupid gently caress of a tech bro with a huge ego, and he was looking to deny his own blame, so that's tempting and he clung to it. And then, in his mind, he can justify murdering the Alphas and deleting Apollo, because he's saving the world from itself, not just trying to erase his own guilt, which is a convenient side effect. I'm not sure he saw himself primarily trying to hide his own involvement, but he sure saw it as a definite plus if he let himself think about it at all rather than bury it in justifications for why the plague of unstoppable robots that eat everything wasn't actually his fault. Few people are really honest with themselves about their own motivations, and Ted definitely wasn't.

Ted is an incredible villain, really, and way too real and believable.

Yeah, this is the most reasonable reading of Faro's motivations. It doesn't detract from how idiotic and deluded his decision was. Humans are very clever monkeys, even in the absence of APOLLO, they're going to start poking at old world tech to see how it works. And so, without APOLLO, the descendants are almost guaranteed to accidentally make the same mistakes of the old world, from overhunting triggering the Derangement, to a cadre of religious fanatics activating the old Farobots.

Maybe trying to cover up his crimes was a part of it, but at that point it was a lost cause. Faro's name was mud. Everyone called it the Faro plague.

Strategic Tea posted:

Ted is deleuded - he doesn't want to be known as history's greatest failure, but equally he can't stand the idea he's been sidelined. As Mr Galaxy Brain surely he should be leading the project, not being humiliated and shuffled off to retirement by his own employees and the darn anti business gubmint. He's desperate to find some genius contribution that everyone else missed.

This is indeed a part of it. It explains his envy of Sobeck and the respect she got from everyone else.

It was a failure of Sobeck, and of the US government, that instead of sidelining him 95%, they should have sidelined him 100%. The only thing he was good for was smoothly rubber stamping all the resource and requisition requests from Faro Robotics by the ZD project. At that point, they should have stripped him of every ounce of executive decision making. But that's only known in hindsight. Who the gently caress knew he had something audacious in him like utilizing Omega level overrides to murder his peers. That back door was in there for a reason, and the reason was not to fulfil Faro's idiotic whims.

exquisite tea posted:

Phobophilia is the "Horizon Zero Dawn represents a neoliberal tech utopia" guy so I think his reading of the text is just wilfully bad at this point.

Horizon Zero Dawn is a phenomenal game. It is also infused with Ideology. It is extremely optimistic, in that it posits that not just one, but two existential crises for planet earth's biosphere can be solved using Technology.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The main thing that defines his actions is guilt and shame, and his need to completely avoid any of the negative feelings that come with it. Just look at the current state of the US, how half the country is struggling to justify all the poo poo that happened in the past few years. If they can't justify it, it means they were wrong, and if they were wrong, it means they are Bad.

Ted Faro is easily in the top 5 for best villains in video games.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it’s about as realistic as a tech-savior narrative can feasibly get, since when the legion of STEM geniuses have the crisis explained to them half just go “lmao” and opt for suicide

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Just out of curiosity, what do the people who think that Ted Faro was genuinely a visionary genius doing what's best for humanity think of Elon Musk?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The main thing that defines his actions is guilt and shame, and his need to completely avoid any of the negative feelings that come with it. Just look at the current state of the US, how half the country is struggling to justify all the poo poo that happened in the past few years. If they can't justify it, it means they were wrong, and if they were wrong, it means they are Bad.

Ted Faro is easily in the top 5 for best villains in video games.

This is why i don't think he was trying to cover up his mistakes - I don't think he can comprehend that he made mistakes to cover up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ookiimarukochan posted:

Just out of curiosity, what do the people who think that Ted Faro was genuinely a visionary genius doing what's best for humanity think of Elon Musk?

i don't think any such people exist here. maybe if you scraped a few reddit posts or something, but the game did a pretty good job of showing that faro didn't know his rear end from his elbow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This is why i don't think he was trying to cover up his mistakes - I don't think he can comprehend that he made mistakes to cover up.

Maybe in the way that he deluded himself so deeply to avoid having to reckon with it all, sure. Is that any better though?

The fact that this discussion can even happen over a villain who plays a relatively minor role in a game shows just how good that villain is imo