Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Prolonged Priapism posted:

The one that hit me hardest was Friend Jamis :(

Villeneuve is going to make Paul an actual friend of Jamis. That duel is going to hurt. Darn you to heck, Villeneuve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-NOZU2iPA8

*jamis

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

sebmojo posted:

Tbf I think the hobbit would have been incredibly cramped in one movie, it's not long but a lot of stuff happens. Two would have been just right, and the names were right there

this teardown of the hobbit trilogy is worth a watch, a lesson in how not to adapt a book, and more...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTRUQ-RKfUs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElPJr_tKkO4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi7t_g5QObs

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Mister Speaker posted:

if i'm still alive when the movie comes out somebody had better hold my fuckin' hand through the whole thing

HOLD MY FUCKEN HAND DUDE

i will hold your hand

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jul 23, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

My Lovely Horse posted:

The Hobbit II: Back Again!

:balldo:

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
Alternate DUNC casting (a thread)

https://twitter.com/LuksemburgRadek/status/1418320931995496455

It's funny if you're polish

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

RedSnapper posted:

It's funny if you're polish

gimby nie znają

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdtiYwSP9ko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgzE2TeXCl0

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
It's interesting that the big master genius Harkonnen plan almost entirely revolves around dealing with a secondary character in the story - Thufir Hawat.

Like there's some talk about how the Duke has to take the bait or whatever, but what they're really worried about is the old brain genius just seeing right through the plan, having them dissolved in acid by their best friend out of nowhere and being fed to their children.

To beat him they had to take him entirely out of his element to a planet where he'd have to start over from scratch, overload him with problems like random Harkonnen sleeper cells and poo poo while he's still establishing his spy networks and secret police and stuff on a planet where the Atreides have no established support, and then throw in a monkey wrench with something he could never extrapolate logically.

It kind of sidesteps the problem of how to write someone smarter than the writer by placing the super smart guy in a position where it makes sense for him to be scrambling, and at a point in his life where he's just slowing down because of age. And how he's beaten doesn't really make him look stupid by accident because part of it hinges on a curveball that arguably nobody in the known universe would see coming.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Jamis is my friend
Jamis is a friend of mine
He taught me how to live, my life as it should be
He taught me how to walk whenever worms want to eat me

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Eau de MacGowan posted:

My dude, this was me and cyberpunk 2077 about this time last year :suicide:

This being bad would be more like Elden Ring ending up being poo poo.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Jamis is a friend
Yeah I know he's been a good friend of mine
But lately something's changed that ain't hard to define
Jamis got himself a girl and I wanna make her mine

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

sean10mm posted:

It's interesting that the big master genius Harkonnen plan almost entirely revolves around dealing with a secondary character in the story - Thufir Hawat.

Like there's some talk about how the Duke has to take the bait or whatever, but what they're really worried about is the old brain genius just seeing right through the plan, having them dissolved in acid by their best friend out of nowhere and being fed to their children.

To beat him they had to take him entirely out of his element to a planet where he'd have to start over from scratch, overload him with problems like random Harkonnen sleeper cells and poo poo while he's still establishing his spy networks and secret police and stuff on a planet where the Atreides have no established support, and then throw in a monkey wrench with something he could never extrapolate logically.

It kind of sidesteps the problem of how to write someone smarter than the writer by placing the super smart guy in a position where it makes sense for him to be scrambling, and at a point in his life where he's just slowing down because of age. And how he's beaten doesn't really make him look stupid by accident because part of it hinges on a curveball that arguably nobody in the known universe would see coming.

Ya, I liked how in the book it's pretty clear Thufir would have crippled or wiped out the Harkonnens from the inside even if Paul never did his Fremen uprising.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Just finishing Doystoyevsky’s Demons so now I can read Dune for the first time in a decade.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

My Lovely Horse posted:

Jamis is a friend
Yeah I know he's been a good friend of mine
But lately something's changed that ain't hard to define
Jamis got himself a girl and I wanna make her mine

lol

also yeah Spinz you should post it here

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Just noticed in the background of that shot of Paul as a gold ranger there’s a sandworm exploding out of the sand.

Also: does Paul use the word “dad” in the book? I can’t remember but it seems oddly modern in the trailer

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I will still say HarKOHnen in my mind when I read even though the movie (incorrectly:mad:) says HARKohnen

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

The Bloop posted:

I will still say HarKOHnen in my mind when I read even though the movie (incorrectly:mad:) says HARKohnen

I didn't think Gurney could be wrong but here we are.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

@duneauthor input prolly

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I know Mads Mikkelsen's been rumored to portray Shaddam IV in the nonexistent Villeneuve sequel but man if this random Reddit post I saw about him instead being Count Hasimir Fenring doesn't feel right as hell.

Or Moneo, though we'll never get that far.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Bloop posted:

lol was thinking the same thing.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

If they're supposed to be Russian analogues then the accent should be in the middle but hey no one knows what Ix stands for so whatevs.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Everyone in Dune is speaking Galach which is an “Inglo-Slavic” language so I’m forced to assume that all the characters have Russian accents

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.

skasion posted:

Everyone in Dune is speaking Galach which is an “Inglo-Slavic” language so I’m forced to assume that all the characters have Russian accents

Inglo-Slavic implies Sean Connery in Hunt For Red October

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Dune you guys

We are gonna go see Dune

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
No, we are going to see Dunc

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

ElBrak posted:

Ya, I liked how in the book it's pretty clear Thufir would have crippled or wiped out the Harkonnens from the inside even if Paul never did his Fremen uprising.

I must've missed that, where does Thufir plot the downfall of the harkonnen?

Sounds pretty Franky to me. Plans within plans, Yueh wants to kill a man.

He knows it will likely be the Baron and/or Piter in the room interrogating the Duke due to being able to talk to Thufir and the Harkonnen being clowns . So the tooth comes out and Yueh poisons Piter.

If Thufir never 'what if'd every single retainer I'd be surprised. So he may have had a batman contingency plan for Yueh delivering the Duke.

Also, who would supply the poison to Yueh for the tooth? Thufir.

Leto knew he was going to be betrayed and captured and was establishing a contingency with Thufir and using Jessica to drive the real traitor into making a mistake.

Is that it?

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 23, 2021

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Thufir just killed himself instead of Paul in the end and possibly tried to assassinate Sting but even that's a toss up. He wasn't some kind of badass genius, by the time Harks got him he was entirely set up against Paul's mom for killing the Duke

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

phasmid posted:

The other houses major hate the Baron because he's nouveau riche, not because he's a slaver/rapist.

It's so European aristocracy, it's genuinely delightful.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

DebonaireD posted:

If they're supposed to be Russian analogues then the accent should be in the middle but hey no one knows what Ix stands for so whatevs.

Apparently the name is Finnish.

skasion posted:

In the far future, everyone speaks Nadsat

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Fuschia tude posted:

Apparently the name is Finnish.

In the far future, everyone speaks Nadsat

Baboochka Gesserit

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Givin the ol emperor a kick in the yarbles

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Hawat very carefully gave the Baron a mixture of good and bad advice, in the scene where he explains the origins of the Sardaukar to him. He also plays Feyd and the Baron against each other.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 23, 2021

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Dreams make good stories, but everything important happens when we're awake.

The sleeper must awaken.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I really dig the design of Duncan's flightsuit.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I must've missed that, where does Thufir plot the downfall of the harkonnen?

Sounds pretty Franky to me. Plans within plans, Yueh wants to kill a man.

He knows it will likely be the Baron and/or Piter in the room interrogating the Duke due to being able to talk to Thufir and the Harkonnen being clowns . So the tooth comes out and Yueh poisons Piter.

If Thufir never 'what if'd every single retainer I'd be surprised. So he may have had a batman contingency plan for Yueh delivering the Duke.

Also, who would supply the poison to Yueh for the tooth? Thufir.

Leto knew he was going to be betrayed and captured and was establishing a contingency with Thufir and using Jessica to drive the real traitor into making a mistake.

Is that it?
Hawat never suspected Yueh at all due to Suk conditioning. Piter sets it up to have him suspect Jessica. Duke Leto lets Hawat think this hoping it will cause the real traitor to make a mistake, but tells Paul the truth. Jessica calls Thufir on his bullshit which makes him go even crazier on the idea (who's better positioned than her?). Before anything else can get resolved the Harkonnens/Sardukar invade, Leto is captured, and tooths his way out of existence. Hawat is captured in the open desert and the Baron lets him continue thinking Jessica was the traitor. The Baron very wrongfully assumes that Hawat will ignore him in favor of loving with the Emperor because Hawat knows the Emperor is behind the attack.

There's a conversation between the Baron and Thufir towards the end of the book where Thufir explains that the real reason behind the Emperor taking out Leto was that Leto had trained some of his soldiers so they were almost as good as/even better than the Sardukar. Since Leto was popular in the Landsraad if he were to expand that training to the rest of his army and rally the other houses to his side, bye-bye Shaddam. The Baron had a plan all along to install Piter as the governor of Arrakis who would grind the population into submission. Once things reached a boiling point he would eliminate Piter and replace him with lovely Feyd who would treat them marginally better and be welcomed as a hero/savior. Piter gets killed by the Duke so he puts Rabban in charge instead. Having arguably the most important planet in the galaxy under willing Harkonnen control puts them in a very good position, and sets Feyd up for success. A parallel between Salusa Secundus and Arrakis is made. The Fremen are relatively a huge population - 10 million - and to have that size of an army who are better than the Sardukar makes the Emperor very nervous. Thufir had been letting information out about the situation so that it seemed like the Baron was doing all this on purpose when he actually dismissed the Fremen as nothing more than an annoyance and was really hoping to increase spice revenue/set up the Harkonnens as "legitimate" rulers of Arrakis. Thufir was hoping for a repeat of the first invasion, with the Sardukar wiping out the Harkonnen forces, executing the rest of the Harkonnen line for treachery, and then making the Emperor's collusion with the Harkonnens known so the Landsraad would band together and take out the Emperor.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

and on every one of those posters it says 'it begins'

Didnt Remo Williams have a similar tagline? Or was that Space Dad?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Hasselblad posted:

Didnt Remo Williams have a similar tagline? Or was that Space Dad?

I misread Remo Williams as Emo Phillips and got very, very confused.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Cacator posted:

I misread Remo Williams as Emo Phillips and got very, very confused.

Better movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Yueh doesn't need thufir to make a poison tooth, he is a doctor and a dentist. It would be trivial.