Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/BrettKelman/status/1418596296789827584?s=19

I think there was hilariously awful polling data sent around Republicans that antivax positions are completely toxic for the next election cycle. The problem for them and society as a whole, is that wingnuts don't give a gently caress and just want to win primaries, and conservative media doesn't give a gently caress, they just want to make money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hekk posted:

What the hell is a Guardian? They should have gone with Cleveland Commodores or Cleveland Burning Rivers or something.

I don’t hate it and the use of the old art decco style is cool however Cleveland Steamers was a possibility too!

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

That Works posted:

Ah yes you see the solution for erosion in a structure in the desert is to plant grass seed on it and let the grass grow.

go look up how an "oxbow lake" happens

erosion will eventually put this wall entirely in Mexico even if it doesn't knock it down lol

there's no way it will stand that long but I still love the idea

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Crab Dad posted:

I don’t hate it and the use of the old art decco style is cool however Cleveland Steamers was a possibility too!

I remember seeing some really cool art deco stuff, especially furniture pieces made by local steelworks in the museums in Cleveland, so I think it's a nice fit for the vibe of the city in the mind of me, a guy who once spent a couple days in Cleveland

"guardians" also slots nicely into any chants that included the team's previous name

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Lmao there is a small problem with following the river that close

The border doesn't actually follow the river, its as much as several miles away from it in quite a few places because the river has shifted so much in the hundred years or whatever since the border was last adjusted. My grandmother grew up on a farm that is on this side of the river, but the family lost it because its in Mexico now. We used to go down to the border and look at it when our parents were bored

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Crab Dad posted:

Accurately represents the city, its history and generally its sports teams as well

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

US Berder Patrol posted:

go look up how an "oxbow lake" happens

erosion will eventually put this wall entirely in Mexico even if it doesn't knock it down lol

there's no way it will stand that long but I still love the idea

As a geologist, :laffo:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Milo and POTUS posted:

Accurately represents the city, its history and generally its sports teams as well

https://twitter.com/redsteeze/status/1418571887089754114?s=19

Or just double-up on the awful and call them the Cleveland Ohios.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
:gamefreak:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The Cleveland Steamers was RIGHT THERE, ripe for the taking!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/redsteeze/status/1418571887089754114?s=19

Or just double-up on the awful and call them the Cleveland Ohios.

loving EXCELLENT.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Lake of Methane posted:

If you have purchased a data set of user locations (thanks Verizon!), it would be relatively trivial to identify each unique identifiers' most-frequented landmarks and then go fishing to see who's in the middle of the Venn diagram of church facilities vs. dens of iniquity. Translating from an identifier to a person is theoretically impossible, unless they ever go home.

It looks like this is what happened. Grindr sold their database to an aggregator and a tradcath website bought it as a journalist. Since it's Grindr they just went looking for id's that showed up at UCCB events and presumably other high-level Catholic locations, then backtracked to find residences. I have no idea how many high-profile priests are on Grindr, but I suspect there are a few sweaty Roman collars right now because I doubt he's going to be the last one outed here.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
What's the name of that corned beef place in Cleveland

Easily my favorite thing in that city. Big pile of corned beef and rye toast for breakfast. Only place that's ever given me enough horseradish, really spoke to me

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTHLKHL_whs

Pretty sure this will be the conservative outrage for the next couple of days

this rules.

Edit: this is amazing, he's taking the vibe of like some the gayer corners of bounce and actually making it gayer and more mainstream. If you like this stuff check out Sissy Nobby (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAlqJgIO_KM), which actually has a bunch of dudes dancing their dicks in the middle of the song and is still somehow less gay than Lil Nas X videos.

Notahippie fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 23, 2021

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Notahippie posted:

It looks like this is what happened. Grindr sold their database to an aggregator and a tradcath website bought it as a journalist. Since it's Grindr they just went looking for id's that showed up at UCCB events and presumably other high-level Catholic locations, then backtracked to find residences. I have no idea how many high-profile priests are on Grindr, but I suspect there are a few sweaty Roman collars right now because I doubt he's going to be the last one outed here.

Someone should try to tease this out with conservative law makers, if for no other reason than to get more stringent privacy laws in place.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Notahippie posted:

this rules.

Seriously, total banger and lmao at the lyrics

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1418603227134660608

Stolen from c-spam

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Call your congress critter and tell them to get off their rear end to make laws to extend authority as part of the CDC emergency powers.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Wasabi the J posted:

Call your congress critter and tell them to get off their rear end to make laws to extend authority as part of the CDC emergency powers.

lol I'm in one of the bluest parts of NC and even the lower middle class people think the eviction moratorium needs to go, voters are generally okay with it and nobody's gonna lose an election over it

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
They want to "end the labor shortage"

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Lil Nas X paired that video with a partnership with a bail fund and now he's directly targeting other musicians to get them to ante up. This dude is going to singlehandedly make that old joke about luxury gay space communism real.

https://twitter.com/franklinleonard/status/1418581166953832452?s=20

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
they're tired of getting hosed over at the job they don't think they can quit

e: also lil nas x rules and i'm gonna give his causes some money

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Coasterphreak posted:

they're tired of getting hosed over at the job they don't think they can quit

e: also lil nas x rules and i'm gonna give his causes some money

I was talking about the ruling class.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

US Berder Patrol posted:

What's the name of that corned beef place in Cleveland

Easily my favorite thing in that city. Big pile of corned beef and rye toast for breakfast. Only place that's ever given me enough horseradish, really spoke to me

I don't know it but I'm sure if you google some combination of corned beef, horseradish, Cleveland, and Michael Symon you'll find it pretty quick.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I don't know it but I'm sure if you google some combination of corned beef, horseradish, Cleveland, and Michael Symon you'll find it pretty quick.
Slymans is the answer.

Luckily Michael Symon has nothing to do with it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I’m in Cleveland right now ama

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

stealie72 posted:

Slymans is the answer.

Luckily Michael Symon has nothing to do with it.

yeah I googled it, I'm pretty sure it was Slyman's

slightly dingy little mom n pop type place mostly staffed by immigrants from the former bloc. Only things on the menu are salted beef, potatoes and eggs

you eat in there and feel like there's still some good left in this world for working guys. Y'know, as a treat at $11 a sandwich or whatever, but still, very homey for me

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

boop the snoot posted:

Why? Do you need help?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

boop the snoot posted:

the art museum is surprisingly good

not like world class level, but way better than you'd expect from Cleveland

also, try Slyman's

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

West Side Market is fun to walk around in, the Zoo owns.

I grew up in NWPA and thought Cleveland was a light year away. Drove back from Seattle and stopped at my grandparents' place and realized it was like 45 minutes.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

boop the snoot posted:

Been to any good restaurants there?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Notahippie posted:

Lil Nas X paired that video with a partnership with a bail fund and now he's directly targeting other musicians to get them to ante up. This dude is going to singlehandedly make that old joke about luxury gay space communism real.

https://twitter.com/franklinleonard/status/1418581166953832452?s=20

Yeah I saw that - Lil Nas X is loving cool

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Lucky’s Cafe in Cleveland is good.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

boop the snoot posted:

Is this a cry for help?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

boop the snoot posted:

can i pat monty

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

US Berder Patrol posted:

the art museum is surprisingly good

not like world class level, but way better than you'd expect from Cleveland

Conversely, the rock and roll hall of fame is kinda lame, though they may have improved it since I was there

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Eason the Fifth posted:

Conversely, the rock and roll hall of fame is kinda lame, though they may have improved it since I was there

I remember the costume stuff being pretty cool. David Bowie and Michael Jackson alone have like an entire section.

You can also rent a Tiki Barge to see the wondrous scenery along the industrial section of the Cuyahoga river.

Cleveland is in kind of a weird place right now. There's a lot of push for modernization and improvement of some public areas, but then you go two blocks and it's like walking into the shittier parts of a third world country.

I was a fan of the proposals with a Commodore Perry theme like the Cleveland Commodores or Cleveland Commanders, but literally anything is better than the current team name, so Go Guardians I guess.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Eason the Fifth posted:

The country music hall of fame, however, kicks serious rear end. Worth an extra day in Nashville

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Didn't see it posted here but in the dorkiest news of the day the opening ceremony for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics included tracks from various video games including:

Dragon Quest- “Roto’s Theme”
Final Fantasy - “Victory Fanfare”
Tales of series - “Sorey’s Theme - The Shepherd”
Monster Hunter series - “Proof of a Hero”
Kingdom Hearts - “Olympus Coliseum”
Chrono Trigger - “Frog’s Theme”
Ace Combat - “First Flight”
Tales of series - “Royal Capital Majestic Grandeur”
Monster Hunter - “Wind of Departure”
Chrono Trigger - “Robo’s Theme”
Sonic the Hedgehog - “Star Light Zone”
Pro Evolution Soccer - “eFootball Walk-on Theme”
Final Fantasy - “Main Theme”
Phantasy Star Universe - “Guardians”
Kingdom Hearts - “Hero’s Fanfare”
Gradius - “01 Act I-1”
Nier - “Song of the Ancients”
SaGa series - “The Minstrel’s Refrain: SaGa Series Medley 2016”
Soulcalibur - “The Brave New Stage of History”

https://www.siliconera.com/tokyo-olympics-used-final-fantasy-kingdom-hearts-and-nier-music-in-opening-ceremony/

The only thing that could have been done better is if they had the Soul Calibur announcer announce the countries during the parade. "Welcome, to the stage of history!" and then some country with like 4 athletes walks in. It could have been really epic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Wrong Theory posted:

Didn't see it posted here but in the dorkiest news of the day the opening ceremony for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics included tracks from various video games including:

Dragon Quest- “Roto’s Theme”
Final Fantasy - “Victory Fanfare”
Tales of series - “Sorey’s Theme - The Shepherd”
Monster Hunter series - “Proof of a Hero”
Kingdom Hearts - “Olympus Coliseum”
Chrono Trigger - “Frog’s Theme”
Ace Combat - “First Flight”
Tales of series - “Royal Capital Majestic Grandeur”
Monster Hunter - “Wind of Departure”
Chrono Trigger - “Robo’s Theme”
Sonic the Hedgehog - “Star Light Zone”
Pro Evolution Soccer - “eFootball Walk-on Theme”
Final Fantasy - “Main Theme”
Phantasy Star Universe - “Guardians”
Kingdom Hearts - “Hero’s Fanfare”
Gradius - “01 Act I-1”
Nier - “Song of the Ancients”
SaGa series - “The Minstrel’s Refrain: SaGa Series Medley 2016”
Soulcalibur - “The Brave New Stage of History”

https://www.siliconera.com/tokyo-olympics-used-final-fantasy-kingdom-hearts-and-nier-music-in-opening-ceremony/

The only thing that could have been done better is if they had the Soul Calibur announcer announce the countries during the parade. "Welcome, to the stage of history!" and then some country with like 4 athletes walks in. It could have been really epic.

I though i was going insane because the music was familiar, im glad i am not.