Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Before I forget I wanted to say I'm glad that both you and Tea are aware of Terranigma. It deserves more attention and love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Terranigma came out on UK SNES a lot more than a bunch of other titles, to be fair. Was probably easier to get than a Final Fantasy other than Mystic Quest IIRC.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I mad I never even considered pogoing off the spears. Watching Nat fly past them now I have to think that's the intended way.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Actually now that I think about it White Palace is probably just what the King did with the money he had left over after his eugenics project.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I don't think the White Palace is just a dream. Instead the Pale King transported the White Palace to the dreamscape itself after the Hollow Knight failed to contain the infection. For one thing the White Fragment is physically present there, and this is the first time we found a physical object inside the dreamscape (I'm not counting the Dreamnail, since that's made of dream energy). Also we find the King's body but the palace is otherwise intact. If this is supposed to be a dream of the White Palace at it's finest, you'd expect the King to be alive. But if it's supposed to be a nightmare, then I'd expect the stage to be much more, well, nightmarish. (Yes there are spikes and buzzsaws everywhere, but they're much too neat and orderly).

Also, we enter the White Palace by dream-nailing a Kingsmold. There's a hidden workshop that reveals that Kingsmolds are made from void and are unable form dreams on their own

Finally, there's the Path of Pain, which I do think is more of an actual dream. Aside from being harder, both the stage and the music feel even less real than the rest of the White Palace. Plus what you find at the end doesn't line up is unique to that part of the White Palace alone.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 17, 2021

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I sat down and binged every episode I missed.

Nat 20 I just have to say, you do a lot better on bosses when you don't panic and don't get greedy on healing.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Alxprit posted:

Before I forget I wanted to say I'm glad that both you and Tea are aware of Terranigma. It deserves more attention and love.

Tea had a physical copy of Illusion of time when we were young and played it through to completion. It was enough that we both independently went out to find more games in that series and came upon Terranigma as a result.

I think it remains one of Tea's favourite games ever and I've shed a tear or two over the ending.

AtomikKrab posted:

I sat down and binged every episode I missed.

Nat 20 I just have to say, you do a lot better on bosses when you don't panic and don't get greedy on healing.

Absolutely. The bosses I struggle with the most by a long way are the ones that punish you for dashing away from their attacks. Since I don't internalise how to dodge those attacks as quickly I tend to attempt to heal badly and die as a result.

In general to the comments on the White Palace. I really didn't mind the area too much, it was challenging but ultimately not that hard for me. I just largely feel that what it's trying to do has been done better by other games that are more focused on their platforming. Dustforce/Super Meat Boy/Celeste all feel like fairer attempts to do platforming difficulty. Buzzsaws at the end of crystal dash paths are pretty needless and frustrating for example.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

I don't think the White Palace is just a dream. Instead the Pale King transported the White Palace to the dreamscape itself after the Hollow Knight failed to contain the infection. For one thing the White Fragment is physically present there, and this is the first time we found a physical object inside the dreamscape (I'm not counting the Dreamnail, since that's made of dream energy). Also we find the King's body but the palace is otherwise intact. If this is supposed to be a dream of the White Palace at it's finest, you'd expect the King to be alive. But if it's supposed to be a nightmare, then I'd expect the stage to be much more, well, nightmarish. (Yes there are spikes and buzzsaws everywhere, but they're much too neat and orderly).

Also, we enter the White Palace by dream-nailing a Kingsmold. There's a hidden workshop that reveals that Kingsmolds are made from void and are unable form dreams on their own

Finally, there's the Path of Pain, which I do think is more of an actual dream. Aside from being harder, both the stage and the music feel even less real than the rest of the White Palace. Plus what you find at the end doesn't line up is unique to that part of the White Palace alone.

Also, when you die in the white palace, you die for real. Every other dream just teleports you back outside. If anyone happens to be playing steel soul mode, please don't forget this part!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Marluxia posted:

Also, when you die in the white palace, you die for real. Every other dream just teleports you back outside.

There is one other dream in which you can die for real. :ssh:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

My advice to Tea: If you really want to see Nat suffer, I suggest forcing him to complete the Delicate Flower quest.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah it's definitely time to start pointing Nat to the remaining things to do, if you ask me. Although the Hall of Gods helps with that a bit with its boss hints.

I hope you point him toward the secret in the Hall Of Gods too

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Don't let Nat stop until he does all the Radiant refights in the Hall of Gods. :)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Watching Nat quickly get a read on Oro & Mato and Tea just losing his poo poo was just :kiss:

And they're fairly simple, no big surprises with range or hitboxes. It's practically the Mantis Lords.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Oh yeah, Oro and Mato are a great fight. Mechanically they're very solid, for one thing. Plus the satisfaction of actually getting to face off against one of these great nailmasters that you trained from. And then the escalation of it being a surprise double battle, which really sets the bar for what the end fights of the other pantheons are going to have to be.

Also, even if you never picked up on the brothers having drama between them, there's a great sense that seeing them fight together is the end of some sort of personal arc for those two. It's so good.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Oro and Mato are a great fight. Tough but very fair, all their attacks are well telegraphed and with plenty of openings to heal.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Dareon posted:

Watching Nat quickly get a read on Oro & Mato and Tea just losing his poo poo was just :kiss:

And they're fairly simple, no big surprises with range or hitboxes. It's practically the Mantis Lords.

I am only here really to watch Nat cause Tea distress via not failing on bosses.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Please for the love of god Tea, make sure you direct him to the Zote fight. It wouldn't be a Hollow Knight LP without it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
And for that matter, because he's the best, the White Defender.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

My advice to Tea: If you really want to see Nat suffer, I suggest forcing him to complete the Delicate Flower quest.

Multiple times :getin:

Seconding the Oro and Mato praises. This LP inspired me to get back to my steel soul run and I just got back to godhome and I've been fighting them.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I'm laughing so much at Nat just entering the first trial without knowing and destroying it without a care.
Also, you can inspect the unopened doors to see the portraits of the bosses you're missing.

Eeepies fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 20, 2021

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The challenge for the true, final ending is pure bullshit but I wouldn't mind Tea directing Nat to the rest of the bosses.

Also, the Path of Pain should at least be attempted.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

The challenge for the true, final ending is pure bullshit but I wouldn't mind Tea directing Nat to the rest of the bosses.

Oh yeah, at a minimum, up to the third pantheon should be attempted. Sheo and Sly are cool bosses, and I'd like to see Nat try Pure Vessel in the fourth pantheon too, but the final pantheon is... rough. Given how Nat has been blowing through the bosses that we expected to go poorly, it might just be possible, but Absolute Radiance really isn't worth the effort. And seconding Path of Pain.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Marluxia posted:

Oh yeah, at a minimum, up to the third pantheon should be attempted. Sheo and Sly are cool bosses, and I'd like to see Nat try Pure Vessel in the fourth pantheon too, but the final pantheon is... rough. Given how Nat has been blowing through the bosses that we expected to go poorly, it might just be possible, but Absolute Radiance really isn't worth the effort. And seconding Path of Pain.

Given how Nat does things Nat will just blow through absolute radiance on the first go,

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

anilEhilated posted:

That is not a "true, final ending", it's just a different ending.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SirSamVimes posted:

That is not a "true, final ending", it's just a different ending.
Yeah, I was paraphrasing something they said in the video. Still, the practice of hiding bits of story behind extremely obnoxious lategame challenges is one the very few things I really dislike about this game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

lol I wasn't one of those forum members but it's about time you went there.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Thank you, Tea! :tipshat:

Also I've never rescued Brett this late so it'll be hilarious for her to immediately ditch the Knight for Zote

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

SirPhoebos posted:

Thank you, Tea! :tipshat:

Also I've never rescued Brett this late so it'll be hilarious for her to immediately ditch the Knight for Zote

I wasn't quite as late as Nat was but I never had Bretta hang out with me until my second playthrough.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Wait...Tea wants Nat to activate Oversoul? Hopefully nobody ends up summoning a copy of the Pale King using his combat data and a giant mecha.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Epicmissingno posted:

Wait...Tea wants Nat to activate Oversoul? Hopefully nobody ends up summoning a copy of the Pale King using his combat data and a giant mecha.

We have the soul, the technology, the Dad... But lack the war orphans

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I just wanted to randomly let the thread know that I got the game when it was on sale and I'm actually playing it myself now! Doing up the latest banners and getting all hype for this late game stuff finally made me cave in. I love everything about this game's aesthetic so much, I just want to wander around it at my own pace, and read all the Hunter journals, and dream nail everything... :3:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Welcome, and I hope you enjoy your stay.

As for this episode, nothing too much to say. I think the little Void Heart thing is fairly self-explanatory at this point. And now Nat finally gets to the warrior dream I fought FIRST.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

A request for Yorkshire Tea: I know Nat already beat on the training dummy next to Oro, but please direct Nat there to keep hitting it until something happens. :getin:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm almost certain that the Soul Catcher / Shaman Stone / Soul Eater are meant to evoke the snail shaman headgear.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

C-Euro posted:

I'm almost certain that the Soul Catcher / Shaman Stone / Soul Eater are meant to evoke the snail shaman headgear.

Yeah, soul and the spells are clearly associated with the snails. At least one form of the spells we get, we got from a snail, and a solid chunk of spell charms are found nearby too. Both versions of the hadoken came from snails.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Just managed to get through the White Palace. My completion is now at 107%.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Also this was a few episodes back, but I think I read once that the retainers in the White Palace only bow to you if you have the King's Brand? But I've never been to the White Palace without it so I can't say for certain. Would be a neat detail if that was the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Also this was a few episodes back, but I think I read once that the retainers in the White Palace only bow to you if you have the King's Brand? But I've never been to the White Palace without it so I can't say for certain. Would be a neat detail if that was the case.

It would make complete sense to me if that were the case. I don't feel the dev team would have ignored that detail.