Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Zurtilik posted:

I like it a lot but it is overwhelming to try to figure out how everything works in the first couple play throughs.

One playthrough should be enough.

That playthrough might last 80 hours, however.

Anyway, I don't know if it was me who recommended it or if it was someone else, but I'm happy nonetheless to see one more... Uhhh.... subnaut? :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

One playthrough should be enough.

That playthrough might last 80 hours, however.

Anyway, I don't know if it was me who recommended it or if it was someone else, but I'm happy nonetheless to see one more... Uhhh.... subnaut? :toot:

I reset after my first 30 minutes or so because I'm a terrible perfectionist and I had literally 0 idea what was going on.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Metroid Fusion completed now, I think I like this game the best of all the 2D entries I’ve played so far juuuust edging out Super. It’s just so sharp and tight and the narrative railroading doesn’t bother me in the slightest, came out with a 2:22 zero death and 97% completion score.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Zurtilik posted:

I like it a lot but it is overwhelming to try to figure out how everything works in the first couple play throughs.

I’ve seen some episodes with a streamer who played parts of it so I have some basic idea of what to do. What I didn’t suspect was how scary it would feel to dive in pitch-dark water.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

bladeworksmaster posted:

Metroid Fusion completed now, I think I like this game the best of all the 2D entries I’ve played so far juuuust edging out Super. It’s just so sharp and tight and the narrative railroading doesn’t bother me in the slightest, came out with a 2:22 zero death and 97% completion score.

It's probably my favorite, too. The subtle horror aspect was done so well.

Going to Samus Returns expecting more Fusion was disappointing, hopefully Dread gets it right.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Rolo posted:

It's probably my favorite, too. The subtle horror aspect was done so well.

Going to Samus Returns expecting more Fusion was disappointing, hopefully Dread gets it right.

God yes, the narrative and horror atmosphere was done to drat near perfection in Fusion, combined with a delicately balanced Samus that feels weaker physically and more vulnerable to danger around her. It was extremely daring of the devs to do that instead of playing it safe.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I love Fusion even if it's not Proper Metroid like Super/Zero Mission. Still an extremely fun game and probably the only Metroid game that did an explicit narrative correctly. They just went all in with the Aliens premise and it worked really well. That Nightmare boss is hot garbage, though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i thought Zero Mission did narrative really well

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Subnautica is also hilarious after you finish it and look back at what the game says about your character and then what you do, as well as what went down before you got there.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
One of the few negatives regarding fusion is that it doesn't achieve the best sense of isolation with Adam yammering in your ear, unfortunately

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
As I get further into Ecclesia, I wish the glyph list wasn’t a complete mess of duplicates and color coding. I also wish they were named something useful instead of gibberish with a description you have to read every time until you memorize the gibberish.

Why even have them in a list if you have to flip through each single one to find the one you want?

Edit: finally beat albus after like 15 tries and died doing the next story part because I used one of the glyphs by accident. I only had like 20 hp and the old bastard wouldn’t let me go save.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 23, 2021

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

DLC Inc posted:

I love Fusion even if it's not Proper Metroid like Super/Zero Mission. Still an extremely fun game and probably the only Metroid game that did an explicit narrative correctly. They just went all in with the Aliens premise and it worked really well. That Nightmare boss is hot garbage, though.

That boss nearly killed my playthrough as a kid. Fortunately, I had a GameShark!

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Nightmare is an incredible boss. maybe the gameplay is unpleasant and the only viable strategy is stupid but the design and atmosphere make up for all that

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

bladeworksmaster posted:

I went on a Metroid kick back when the Prime Trilogy was released for Wii U. Having played through Super, then the GBA Metroids, I would rank both the GBA ones over Super. Fusion was probably my overall favorite.

I had to do a bit of control remapping on Super to make it somewhat sane, but even so having to hot swap between half a dozen different functions on one button drove me crazy. Fusion and Zero Mission do so much more with fewer buttons. It's insane.

Still haven't finished Samus Returns though. I need to get on that before Dread!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cojawfee posted:

Subnautica is also hilarious after you finish it and look back at what the game says about your character and then what you do, as well as what went down before you got there.

I loved the humour in the game. The "ham and cheese" radio call had me legitimately :lol:ing.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

The Pokemon moba game is really addictive. These kinds of games are just fantastic when there's no communication go figure.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Social Animal posted:

The Pokemon moba game is really addictive. These kinds of games are just fantastic when there's no communication go figure.

Actually, I think you'll find that not hearing someone scream in your ear about feeding and jungling every 10 seconds is a sign of Nintendo being bad at internet.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I bought the bad Zelda. Hope I can get some free time somewhere :shrug:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

bladeworksmaster posted:

Yeah ive always likes fusion better for being more horror focused, dread seems to be tapping into that even more which excites me a lot

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

djfooboo posted:

good luck. botw takes a lot of time if you’re not speedrunning it.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

I went on a Metroid kick back when the Prime Trilogy was released for Wii U. Having played through Super, then the GBA Metroids, I would rank both the GBA ones over Super. Fusion was probably my overall favorite.

I had to do a bit of control remapping on Super to make it somewhat sane, but even so having to hot swap between half a dozen different functions on one button drove me crazy. Fusion and Zero Mission do so much more with fewer buttons. It's insane.

Still haven't finished Samus Returns though. I need to get on that before Dread!

There's a great romhack for Super Metroid called Control Freak that gives it the button layout of the GBA games.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/405/

There are some more recent ones that add even more improvements that I need to try though.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4963/

I replayed the whole series before heading in to Samus Returns, but for some reason it didn't really grab me. I was hoping for a follow up to the GBA games but AM2R did a much better job at that.

Part of the problem was just being a 3DS games post-Switch, and having to deal with a 2.5D game at 30fps with an incredibly zoomed-in camera, plus important buttons on the touch screen.

Hopefully we start seeing more 3DS games on the Switch now that there's almost nothing left to take from the Wii U. Dunno why the started with Tomodachi Life, all I know about it was Nintendo patching out same sex relationships because they considered it a glitch.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

djfooboo posted:

OoT is merely overrated, it's not a bad game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That loving Sned posted:

Part of the problem was just being a 3DS games post-Switch, and having to deal with a 2.5D game at 30fps with an incredibly zoomed-in camera, plus important buttons on the touch screen.

I had the exact same issues with Samus Returns, it didn’t feel good at all to play

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Takoluka posted:

Actually, I think you'll find that not hearing someone scream in your ear about feeding and jungling every 10 seconds is a sign of Nintendo being bad at internet.

Sounds like they're being good at internet lol. Although I do see text chat and voice stuff in the settings but no clue how it all works.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I had the exact same issues with Samus Returns, it didn’t feel good at all to play

I didn't like the constant stopping to do the counter attack thing. Enemies felt too spongy otherwise.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

Get an 8bitdo. There's also a pro + which has handles like a more traditional gamepad and the pro 2 which iterates upon that design. I really enjoy the classic sf30 pro though and regularly use it for certain 2D or platform games where it just feels more appropriate than the official pro controller.

Nice, thanks to you and everyone else who recommended this. I just googled the one from the original post and never noticed there were other models. I appreciate the SNES color scheme... will need to paint those bottom buttons if I get it!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

so the upcoming Castlevania collection is supposed to be just the GBA games without the DS games, right? I know Aria of Sorrow is great but I don't really hear the other two GBA games talked about much.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Augus posted:

so the upcoming Castlevania collection is supposed to be just the GBA games without the DS games, right? I know Aria of Sorrow is great but I don't really hear the other two GBA games talked about much.

I feel like I liked all of them pretty well (edit: I can't recall how I felt about Harmony of Dissonance... I had to look the name up even, but I borrowed that game from a friend). I remember a lot of people were pissy about Circle of the Moon when it first came out because the dark GBA screen and dark graphics were nearly impossible to see. I started after the SP came out so I had no problem.

MaxDuo fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 23, 2021

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Circle of the Moon is great Harmony of Dissonance slightly less so. Both pale in comparison to Aria and the DS games but I’d say they are both better designed than Symphony

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

djfooboo posted:

Condolences for wasting money on Majora's Mask but everyone makes mistakes.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Augus posted:

COTM is actually my favorite but I hope they update the controls. You have to double tap in a direction to run and the normal walk is soooo slooow

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I would like to play Metroid Fusion on my Switch.

:negative:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

teagone posted:

I would like to play Metroid Fusion on my Switch.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I feel like CotM is also the hardest one. There's a sewer level with ice witches that I remember being really difficult.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

MaxDuo posted:

Nice, thanks to you and everyone else who recommended this. I just googled the one from the original post and never noticed there were other models. I appreciate the SNES color scheme... will need to paint those bottom buttons if I get it!

If you look them up on ebay or aliexpress you can find old stock with the original designs from before the cease and desist

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

flavor.flv posted:

If you look them up on ebay or aliexpress you can find old stock with the original designs from before the cease and desist

I have the SNES one. Great controller.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

flavor.flv posted:

I heard the newer models still use identically shaped button parts to original SNES controllers, so if you can find some appropriate parts you can swap them out

Haven't done it myself though

e: yep

https://www.reddit.com/r/8bitdo/comments/cpy8l1/confirmed_oem_snes_buttons_fit_pro_plus/
https://www.reddit.com/r/8bitdo/comments/mrpevy/8bitdo_sn30_pro_2_button_swap_for_snes_colors/

repiv fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 23, 2021

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Wait, they got C&Ded?

I didn't even realize. Glad I got one when I got one, which was more of an impulse buy than a need. But it's turned out to be quite a convenience, and my thumbs were shaped by (and for) the convex/concave combination of ol' purple.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I don't think it was ever confirmed but that's the most obvious explanation, either legal action by Nintendo or 8bitdos NA/EU distributors getting nervous over the potential for legal action

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I got the SN Pro+ when it came out and specifically waited extra time to have one of the SNES ones shipped to me because I wanted the purple buttons with the concave X and Y, and I was delighted to discover, when I bought the Pro 2 (which does not come with the concave buttons) that the buttons are all the same mold.

It just feels right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

repiv posted:

I don't think it was ever confirmed but that's the most obvious explanation, either legal action by Nintendo or 8bitdos NA/EU distributors getting nervous over the potential for legal action
Might be in conjunction with that but it felt like a general rebranding. Like going from straight up knockoff controllers to going more into their own stuff, like retro inspired rather than the retro repros/copies they mainly did before.