Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

pokeyman posted:

Great post, and if you have any other stories you're able to share then please :justpost:

One time my colleagues and I were working with some people in a park that had maybe 4 or 5 tents, next to an apartment building. As we're chatting with the people, seeing if there's ways we can help, an old lady rides up in an electric wheelchair and asks who she can talk to about these camps. "Oh great here we go" I think as I go to talk to her, ready for her to just start saying a bunch of heinous poo poo about these people(This is the same park where on Easter Sunday I argued with a neighbour about the camps - he asked me who would be responsible if his kid runs up and steps on a needle or something, and he did not like my answer of 'oh you would dude'. Happy Easter you fucker). So I'm preparing for this lady's anti-homeless tirade and she eventually goes 'why are all these nice white boys out here sleeping in tents when that apartment building right there is full of coloured people and immigrants?'. I was dumbstruck, completely expected an anti-homeless rant and got a racist one instead. Told her to uh go ahead and contact her city councilor.

If you're ok with the crushing despair of a non functional system and hearing white people basically yell reddit comments about homelessness irl at you, the job is actually pretty fun. We aren't really ever 'expecting' outcomes, we just work away. But I'm outdoors, basically just travelling around the city and checking on / keeping track of people in case ICM's or housing workers need to find them. I get to go and hike the trails a lot and travel out to some weird corners and spots of the city - people who work for like, parks and forestry for the city send us tips all the time. Downtown is where a lot of it is visible, but there are people set up all the way from Dundas to Stoney Creek. Legend has it there's a guy who's been staying out in the Dundas Valley Conservation Area for years and he's basically a ghost....!!!!!!

Capital Letdown fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Gros Tarla posted:

Yeah, misread that entirely. Doh.

Easily done! Sorry if I was too snarky, it was just more fun to write it that way.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Capital Letdown posted:

Hi everyone - I'm an outreach worker in Hamilton. I waltz on in to encampments and start talking to people 5 days a week, uh feel free to ask questions and I can answer any to the best of my ability/confidentiality also please dont dox me.

[snip big good post]

Thanks for writing that. I have questions and comments about encampments! Its uhh maybe a lot so feel free to pick and choose what to answer.

1) Can you offer any demographic breakdowns, either based on official data or what you think you see day to day? I'm talking stuff like age, sex, race, disability, really anything.

2) How many people in these encampments are local vs come-from-aways? You may define these terms as you choose.

3) How long to people typically (whatever that means) stay in an encampment? Like, is this the sort of thing people bounce into and out of every few weeks? How seasonal is it? Are people moving from one encampment to another, maybe in another town? How much are people between encampments, shelters, and more secure housing?

4) How do people in encampments live? How are they getting their food and water? Their tents? Their drugs? How do they get money?

5) What % of the inhabitants of a camp have serious drug/mental health issues? I assume its high, but is it everyone? Or maybe its lower than I think.

6) Do people have kids in the encampments, or other dependents?

7) How much could encampments be "solved" by, say, taking care of people's needs for 6 months? Paying their rent and bills, giving money for food, helping them with paperwork or whatever to improve their lot, helping find a job of some sort. If these needs were met for that length of time, would most of these people be able to stay out of camps/out of shelters after that, do you think?

Comment:
I don't know if this is an accurate reading of your job, but I think its really good for the homeless to have a sort of advocate, most especially someone who is there on the ground actually talking to them and getting to know them. I think a well-spoken person like yourself as an interface could/should be a great help both for homeless people individually but also in systems that deal with them. If this poo poo is run correctly of course, and since you describe coworkers who seem to hug their desk and do poo poo all it probably isn't. Still a good idea.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Gros Tarla posted:

Yeah, misread that entirely. Doh.

Added context that maybe gets missed if you're not a British Columbian is that there's been a lot of baseless criticism of young people during this pandemic from both the media and government. John Horgan got a ton of pushback for asking young people to "not ruin it for the rest of us." This sort of inane statement by Hedy Fry goes hand in hand with the narrative of clueless Boomers/GenXers criticizing millennials/zoomers.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

Count Roland posted:

1) Can you offer any demographic breakdowns, either based on official data or what you think you see day to day? I'm talking stuff like age, sex, race, disability, really anything.

2) How many people in these encampments are local vs come-from-aways? You may define these terms as you choose.

3) How long to people typically (whatever that means) stay in an encampment? Like, is this the sort of thing people bounce into and out of every few weeks? How seasonal is it? Are people moving from one encampment to another, maybe in another town? How much are people between encampments, shelters, and more secure housing?

4) How do people in encampments live? How are they getting their food and water? Their tents? Their drugs? How do they get money?

5) What % of the inhabitants of a camp have serious drug/mental health issues? I assume its high, but is it everyone? Or maybe its lower than I think.

6) Do people have kids in the encampments, or other dependents?

7) How much could encampments be "solved" by, say, taking care of people's needs for 6 months? Paying their rent and bills, giving money for food, helping them with paperwork or whatever to improve their lot, helping find a job of some sort. If these needs were met for that length of time, would most of these people be able to stay out of camps/out of shelters after that, do you think?

1) Honestly not a ton of insight I can provide, I meet all kinds of people. Very few youths, mainly adults and seniors. More men than women, maybe 60/40 to 70/30 split.

2) Most are local. 80-90%. Some people from other towns occasionally - I have ways to get transportation out of town for people if they want, but we have to make sure they have actual family / supports out there and a place to land. We don't want to just 'ship our homeless to another town' as it were.

3) I can't really answer this beyond 'people move around a lot'

4) not well!! Money wise, most people are on OW / ODSP. I have ways to get people on to OW very fast. That Keeping Six group I mentioned in another post runs a clinic every month that gets people from OW to ODSP - doctors and lawyers and advocates basically go through the whole application step by step in one day, instead of having to play tag with your doctor. In my main post I talked about how its impossible to afford a place, so people will use that for their own ends. People make up the rest from panhandling, scrapping, sex work, etc. Advocate groups drop off food and water semi-regularly. There are spots downtown to get meals - Wesley Day Centre on Catherine st does coffee, breakfast and lunch every day. St Patrick's on Victoria does lunch every day. Good Shepherd does dinner at like 5. There are ways to get food if you know about them and aren't picky about dietary needs, but by no means am I trying to suggest it's as secure as being able to make your own food.

5) It's high. Fentanyl / Down / Opiates are probably the most common addiction I see. Alcohol is common. Meth less so. Crack lesser than that. Anxiety/Depression is rampant obviously, more severe diagnoses like say BPD or Schizophrenia are not uncommon, but I'm not necessarily on the medical side so I wouldn't know peoples diagnoses (if they have them!).

6) Youths are rare. There's a secret, third hotel that is only for families with youths. Its only ever a couple rooms. I've only ever seen one camp with a child in it and they were in hotel within like 5 hours of anybody finding them. I do see parent/child combos that are non-youths semi-often. Like an adult child and senior parent.

7) I wonder about this a lot. There was that program out in BC where they just gave a bunch of people $7500 or something (it's talked about in this thread at some point I'm sure) with pretty high success rates. Even if they got a lump sum and used it perfectly, if they're on OW or ODSP they'd still be slowly dipping into that lump sum just to pay rent - so there income would need to increase. I wouldn't hold my breath about OW or ODSP increasing, so that leads to getting a job - which would require a lot of work on addiction. People do usually do the best and stay housed long term once you get into City Housing, which is rent geared to income (I think the rent is capped at 30% of income?). I had a client who moved into a CH building and they pay $115/mo for rent. They are far more likely to stay housed just from a dollars and cents stand point- OW pays CH directly so unless they absolutely demolish the unit or something, they're ok. I think more subsidized / rent geared to income should be the absolutely number one priority for this city (province (country)). As I mentioned in the big post, this ones a huge ball of yarn that basically goes back to 'capitalism'.

EDIT: To the general comment: my actual co workers are all out there non stop. It's usually housing workers from other agencies we have trouble getting out. I try not to just poo poo talk em too much though, cause I've been a housing worker, and what the hell are they supposed to do? They're usually fresh outta school and told to find rent for this person who has a ton of addictions and who makes $400 less than what an apartment costs. It's unsolvable and I try to remain sensitive to that. But I had a client tell me that it's better to see the postman and have them tell you there's no news, then to not see the postman at all. It's not all roses and noble stuff though. We often approach and get told to gently caress off - cool man, not a good time. Often times people will confide absolutely brutal and horrible things of their past and all I can do is listen and then give them a bottle of water.

Capital Letdown fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 23, 2021

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

MakaVillian posted:

Given the number and severity of Liberal "scandals" before and during the campaign, I think a minority Liberal government was a huge loss that you can pin almost entirely on Scheer.

I think one of the problems is that they tried to throw so much poo poo at Trudeau and most of it was either incredibly complex and hard to fit into an easy catchphrase(SNC-Lavalin) or exposed the Conservatives own hypocrisies(blackface and cancel culture). The other thing is most Liberals were happy with Trudeau in general, if you want a scandal to stick you need people upset at the Liberals already and then the scandal is the thing that puts them over the edge.

nine-gear crow posted:

The irony is this is all Harper’s fault, purging the party of all potential rivals and successors over his term in office left them with a bench full of rudderless goobers with no leadership acumen.

For example, ^^^ Scheer might well have been their best possible remaining choice and he actually did what Harper merely dreamed about : actually hurt Trudeau. God only knows what would have happened in that election if the Tories had real big boy or big girl candidate who knew what they were doing, or if the apparatus was still in place to actually groom Scheer into a worthy successor to Harper, had Harper not, in his monumental hubris, taken it down the hill from 24 Sussex one cold winter night and drowned it in the river.

I think this is the problem in general with the Conservatives is top-down the entire party is just so loving stupid. The platform they came up with was moronic and Alberta-centric that it just didn't win anyone over but the province that was already giving them 98% of their seats. They keep just trying to import everything the Republicans do without any of the actual money and evil genius to back it up.

I just think the argument in general that turfing a leader that just won the popular vote was a bad idea, especially looking where the party is now.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

This year would have been the perfect time for Kevin O'Leary to run, but instead he's busy starring in "So I Married a Boat Murderer".

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Thanks again, that was informative. I'm a bit surprised that youths and come-from-aways are rare. Makes me think less of travelling vagrants and more of 50yo+ people getting hooked on opioids and their lives going dramatically downhill. Of course there are many ways into this sort of life, just trying to change my vague impressions into something a bit more accurate.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Capital Letdown posted:

4) not well!! Money wise, most people are on OW / ODSP. I have ways to get people on to OW very fast. That Keeping Six group I mentioned in another post runs a clinic every month that gets people from OW to ODSP - doctors and lawyers and advocates basically go through the whole application step by step in one day, instead of having to play tag with your doctor. In my main post I talked about how its impossible to afford a place, so people will use that for their own ends. People make up the rest from panhandling, scrapping, sex work, etc. Advocate groups drop off food and water semi-regularly. There are spots downtown to get meals - Wesley Day Centre on Catherine st does coffee, breakfast and lunch every day. St Patrick's on Victoria does lunch every day. Good Shepherd does dinner at like 5. There are ways to get food if you know about them and aren't picky about dietary needs, but by no means am I trying to suggest it's as secure as being able to make your own food.

5) It's high. Fentanyl / Down / Opiates are probably the most common addiction I see. Alcohol is common. Meth less so. Crack lesser than that. Anxiety/Depression is rampant obviously, more severe diagnoses like say BPD or Schizophrenia are not uncommon, but I'm not necessarily on the medical side so I wouldn't know peoples diagnoses (if they have them!).

From someone that worked in a pharmacy for a bit near a location like the ones you work at, you are doing more good than you realize. The ludicrous barriers put in place over the years to prevent people from getting on proper OW/ODSP coverage has always been one of my biggest beefs because something as simple as diabetes or depression can quickly compound the daily problems they face. That isnt even factoring in the many methadone programs that have started up in recent years thanks to the opioid crisis. Access to basic medicine is a big deal, even though most people in Ontario seem to still take it for granted.

For those unaware, one of the first things Ford did when he took power was move the majority of support program applications online when before you used to be able to get the paperwork at any pharmacy. Obviously easy access to the internet is something that the vast majority of homeless people will not have access to. It was such a low key scummy move that almost no noticed since so few people ever needed to even think about using it at the time. There have been other things like slowly reducing funding for long term care beds and district health units which also were a part of the support network too, but the one I had the most experience with was the drug programs.

Basically I hope you know that there are a lot of people that appreciate what you do, even if we arent the most vocal or visible ones around.

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

I'm Very Glad I'm Going To Be An Earl
efb on the last page. keeping this up tho:

I know this was discussed in the previous iteration of this thread, but I wasn't aware of many elements of the story, including the fact that Minister of Finance Chrystia Freeland, whose Ukrainian grandfather was the editor of an anti-semitic newspaper in Nazi-occupied Poland and then Austria in the 1940s, has already committed 4 million $ of federal funds to the victims of communism monument:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/victims-communism-memorial-fascists-1.6112809

quote:

Initially, the Wall of Remembrance was supposed to feature the names of 1,000 victims of communism, but by the end of 2015 a list of only 300 or so names had been compiled. The department said it is now looking at a list of 600 names for possible inclusion in the memorial.
Canadian Heritage hired Carleton University historian Michael Petrou to review those 600 names, but not the names listed on Tribute to Liberty's website or in its newsletters. Petrou told CBC News there is overlap between the list of names for the monument and the list on the website.

Identifying the Collaborators
Petrou filed his report to the department back in the spring. He said he red-flagged the names of individuals in that list of 600 who collaborated with the Nazis or were associated with fascist organizations that were active in Eastern Europe and the Balkans during the Second World War.

Petrou said he also flagged names of individuals who could not reasonably be described as "victims of communism."

The Pathways to Liberty list seems to embrace a very broad definition of "victims of communism" that extends to other apparent victims of political violence and veterans of Cold War era conflicts.

The list on the website also includes people who don't seem to be victims of persecution by communist regimes — such as Tara Singh Hayer, a Sikh journalist and activist assassinated in Vancouver in 1998, and Jagat S. Uppal, a successful B.C. businessman who was one of the first Sikhs to attend public school in Vancouver.

[...]

Jam Band Death Cult fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 24, 2021

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Capital Letdown posted:

In terms of sending money, here are a few different things off the top of my head, which may or may not sit right with anyone based on their politics:

Keeping Six - https://keepingsix.org/ - This is the group that's actually responsible for getting the encampment injunction in place, which probably has done a lot to prevent scenarios like Toronto. They do harm reduction, peer counselling, and I believe they have a few doctors on staff / at least they are very close with the shelter health network. Donating to them would probably go towards things like phones, occasionallytents, etc. for people in encampments, or even towards paying a little bit to people with lived experience who are doing peer support. They've caused a few battles with the city and HPS here and there but they're good people.

Hamilton Encampment Support Network - https://hesn.ca/ - This is a younger group largely led by the same group behind DefundHPS. TBH I'm not sure if they're actually registered as a non profit in order to give tax receipts if you donate or if they're much more fringe than that. They are pretty online, they hate cops, and they're angry about housing - they will deliver harm reduction supplies, tents, water, food, naloxone to people who need it. They don't super play nice with lots of the other orgs, think Hamilton's encampment policy is effectively the same as Toronto's, and if clean ups or cops do happen, they're always there filming and documenting it. They make a lot of people nervous but I think they're alright - they're just pretty mad and online, yknow?

Aids Network / The Van - https://aidsnetwork.ca/the-van/ - The van is a service anyone can text or call and just say like 'hey we need safe use supplies at x park' and they'll just text back 'be there in 30 mins' like no questions asked. They're awesome, they also partner up with an outreach group run through public health / ADGS. It's the aids network, so they're far more established than HESN or K6.

HRIC Outreach Van - I'm embarrassed to say I couldn't find a direct link to this one in 20 seconds of googling and I'm off today so I'm not lookin at my work phone. These guys run a route every day that basically starts in the west end in the afternoon, goes up the mountain, finishes in the east end. They have soup, sandwiches, first aid supplies, coffee, stuff like that. Super good dudes.
EDIT: Felt racist that I was lazy about only this one so I found it. http://www.hric.ca/programs.php It doesn't look like they've updated their website to reflect the outreach van, but this is the org that does it.

I wouldn't really worry about donating to any of the bigger orgs like say, Good Shepherd, Mission Services, Sally, or anything. They're big and get all kinds of government funding and grants, I personally think an individual donation would be much better served with those direct services I listed above.

Awesome, thank you, I'd never heard of any of these orgs and I typically have just donated to like City Kids and Hamilton Foodshare.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

You gotta pump those numbers up, Victims of Communism memorial. Our hypothetical Victims of Capitalism memorial would be able to get more names from just those nursing home neglect deaths alone.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Monument to the Victims of Conservatism.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Mad Hamish posted:

Monument to the Victims of Conservatism.

Lassitude posted:

Victims of Capitalism memorial

they're_the_same_picture.jpg

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/tonynick/status/1418699804020908032?s=21

Everything is okay

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
I'm reaching the point of just not caring about the unvaxxed

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
That's fine.

Its a system of years focusing on rote memorization rather than critical thinking skills and media focused on dividing people/individualism to ensure that the poors don't get ideas about class consciousness again.

But they don't have to be such dicks about it.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

linoleum floors posted:

Please hold off on not caring until children are eligible for vaccination tia

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Ain't that some poo poo.

Between full reopening and Stampede the difference is just the size/number of gatherings for Stampede?

Another Bill posted:

Please hold off on not caring until children are eligible for vaccination tia

The children must suffer.

There's an entire cohort that's going to remember being repeatedly sent back to school in the middle of a pandemic because it would have been inconvenient to do otherwise.

Jam Band Death Cult posted:

I know this was discussed in the previous iteration of this thread, but I wasn't aware of many elements of the story, including the fact that Minister of Finance Chrystia Freeland, whose Ukrainian grandfather was the editor of an anti-semitic newspaper in Nazi-occupied Poland and then Austria in the 1940s, has already committed 4 million $ of federal funds to the victims of communism monument:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/victims-communism-memorial-fascists-1.6112809

It was also discussed in this thread on the last page. Another reminder of why we have actual honest to goodness Nazi war memorials can't hurt though.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 24, 2021

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
How does chrystia Freeland have 4 million dollars to blow on a statue

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

What did she do now? Erect a statue in honour of Ukrainian fascists?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

well well well, if it isn't the consequences of my actions

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
It's probably 'fine' to commemorate people who were slaughtered by oppressive regimes but I imagine that the vast majority were peasants that no one can provide the name of so you're basically left with the issue that most of the names left are horrible nazis.

Anyway, I'm in Ottawa so I promise to vandalize the poo poo out of any suspect names that end up on there.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Draft of Alberta inquiry report critical of environmental groups, but says nothing improper about anti-oil campaigns

*wet fart noises*

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

linoleum floors posted:

as someone wiping out his immune system with medication in the next week, thanks for your lack of caring good buddy.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Fidelitious posted:

It's probably 'fine' to commemorate people who were slaughtered by oppressive regimes but I imagine that the vast majority were peasants that no one can provide the name of so you're basically left with the issue that most of the names left are horrible nazis.

Anyway, I'm in Ottawa so I promise to vandalize the poo poo out of any suspect names that end up on there.

Then why isn't it "Victims of the Soviets" or "Victims of China". There's a reason that the framing is ideological in nature, and that's the same reason that it's being supported by a bunch of fascists.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Fidelitious posted:

I've been looking forward to pissing on this thing since the day it was announced.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

infernal machines posted:

Ain't that some poo poo.

Between full reopening and Stampede the difference is just the size/number of gatherings for Stampede?

Same poo poo on BC and Saskatchewan. BC's cases have tripled in less than 2 weeks (mid thirties a week ago Monday, triple digits yesterday).

All the provinces that rescinded their mask mandates...

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Goosed it. posted:

Same poo poo on BC and Saskatchewan. BC's cases have tripled in less than 2 weeks (mid thirties a week ago Monday, triple digits yesterday).

My feeling is we can reach enough people with the vaccine to get to herd immunity and it's a bad move to fling the doors wide open before that point. It may require some work taking the vaccine to the remaining willing holdouts, and you can't give up until you've thoroughly exhausted every avenue you can think of.

But suppose we reach that point, where everyone who can/will get vaccinated has done so, and (making up numbers) we got to 80% of the population while we think we need 85% for any hope of herd immunity. What's the appropriate policy? Permanent mask mandate etc. until enough people slowly catch covid that you get over the 85% line? What if it takes a decade? Or do you open 'er up as soon as you figure hospitals won't be overwhelmed, meaning people catch covid faster?

The pandemic ends one way or another. Is there an advantage to drawing it out?

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

pokeyman posted:

The pandemic ends one way or another. Is there an advantage to drawing it out?

Responsible political leaders could use the time to scale up healthcare and ICU capacity, but fat chance of that happening

I don't really see a good reason to remove mask mandates though. they are so easy to wear and have no drawbacks, I have no idea how this issue became so divisive

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Tippecanoe posted:

I don't really see a good reason to remove mask mandates though. they are so easy to wear and have no drawbacks, I have no idea how this issue became so divisive

I agree 100% and am glad Nova Scotia has kept one in place. Again, I don't think anywhere in Canada has reached the point of giving up, not yet, and it's shameful that some areas are doing it anyway.

Also is it me or has BC has been oddly anti-mask the whole time? Not necessarily the people, but the health authority. My recollection is they dragged their feet the longest on every step of masking, and were quick to drop it. Wonder if some of the "carbon dioxide!!" or similar brain worms asserted themselves.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

pokeyman posted:

I agree 100% and am glad Nova Scotia has kept one in place. Again, I don't think anywhere in Canada has reached the point of giving up, not yet, and it's shameful that some areas are doing it anyway.

Also is it me or has BC has been oddly anti-mask the whole time? Not necessarily the people, but the health authority. My recollection is they dragged their feet the longest on every step of masking, and were quick to drop it. Wonder if some of the "carbon dioxide!!" or similar brain worms asserted themselves.

It's not just you.

I've had to be ultra aggressive in enforcement at the office and I'm starting to resent the repeat offenders a lot. One of our new staff is immunocompromised and can't come in (we're wfh-first, so it's not really an issue) and I can't seem to get people to understand that their decisions affect others, and that yes, you are an rear end in a top hat if you flout our safety measures.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
BC government has been running with this sense of superiority and downplaying crises throughout the pandemic because of their idiot eastern neighbour making them look good in comparison. Horgan and Bonnie Henry felt pretty flippant for the longest time.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Goosed it. posted:

We’ll see about Saskatchewan, I’m not too optimistic, but numbers have been high due to outbreaks in northern communities. There are a lot of unvaccinated people up there. I have a nurse friend who travels up there frequently for work and she said their is a lot of vaccine hesitancy due to a justified historical mistrust of the government. There hasn’t been huge increases in regina or Saskatoon yet, and for what it’s worth, about 1/2 the people are still wearing masks.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I try to stay skeptical of conspiracies but what is going on with this internal inquiry that they're removing people so connected to the RCMP establishment?

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

CopywrightMMXI posted:

We’ll see about Saskatchewan, I’m not too optimistic, but numbers have been high due to outbreaks in northern communities. There are a lot of unvaccinated people up there. I have a nurse friend who travels up there frequently for work and she said their is a lot of vaccine hesitancy due to a justified historical mistrust of the government. There hasn’t been huge increases in regina or Saskatoon yet, and for what it’s worth, about 1/2 the people are still wearing masks.

Yeah -- it's just not looking good. BC, AB & SK have all had Rts above 1 for a little bit now.

https://twitter.com/DFisman/status/1419015585623646212?s=20

It's nice that Adrian Dix is blaming the increased numbers on activities that the government explicitly okay'ed.

https://twitter.com/richardzussman/status/1418684194792742912?s=20

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Goosed it. posted:

Yeah -- it's just not looking good. BC, AB & SK have all had Rts above 1 for a little bit now.

https://twitter.com/DFisman/status/1419015585623646212?s=20

Not a stats person but some of those confidence intervals look ridiculous? Is "Rt 0-4 with 95% confidence" meaningful?

(I know you posted re: AB, BC, SK and those numbers seem more informative.)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

pokeyman posted:

Not a stats person but some of those confidence intervals look ridiculous? Is "Rt 0-4 with 95% confidence" meaningful?

(I know you posted re: AB, BC, SK and those numbers seem more informative.)

If you have basically no cases, like NS, you don't have adequate data for a reasonable confidence interval. It also means, reasonably speaking, you don't have to give a poo poo.

Based on those numbers, I'm not happy. But on the other hand, there's a limit to what I'm going to do about it. My risk of getting symptomatic COVID, being double vaccinated, is already pretty low, and the risk of it being serious is even lower. There is no way in hell I'm taking another year off my job, and isolating myself from everyone, to protect others, at this point. Masks in public? Fine, I don't give a gently caress, but until the government gets serious about forcing shots in arms for stupid goddamn loving morons that are the main source of the problem, I'm not going out of my way to do gently caress all for the common good at this point. I did that for a year and a half, then Kenney decided "hey let's do Stampede!" and now we're spiking again. I am absolutely not going to put in the hard work again because he hosed it all up, at least until the point that he does something himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Goosed it. posted:

It's nice that Adrian Dix is blaming the increased numbers on activities that the government explicitly okay'ed.

https://twitter.com/richardzussman/status/1418684194792742912?s=20

Is this really pointing a finger or just stating the facts?