Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

bartolimu posted:

won't be sorry to see his brand of "I'm going to get increasingly violent and uncaring about whether I hurt you until I win" sumo gone.

But enough about Hakuho :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Lol I almost stayed up to watch the whole thing just to see what Hakuho did but now I’m glad I didn’t.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Southpaugh posted:

It matters to the grumpy old men and potentially to the populace as a whole. Weeds normalised throughout the west at this point, but MMA people are constantly in hot water about it despite legality in california for example. So its not surprising to me atleast that they would bring the hammer down, particularly if his sumo was despised and therefore not really someone you want to potentially become a yokozuna. Potentially is doing a lot of work in that sentence but you know what I mean.

Yeah, while it’s fun to blame everything on the JSA, this is a society thing that has nothing to do with sumo or how well liked Takagenji is. Weed is bad and will probably get you fired from most jobs and if anything, Japan seems to be moving in the opposite direction of the west with criminalizing non-medicinal usage.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20210612/p2a/00m/0li/018000c

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Southpaugh posted:

It matters to the grumpy old men and potentially to the populace as a whole. Weeds normalised throughout the west at this point, but MMA people are constantly in hot water about it despite legality in california for example. So its not surprising to me atleast that they would bring the hammer down, particularly if his sumo was despised and therefore not really someone you want to potentially become a yokozuna. Potentially is doing a lot of work in that sentence but you know what I mean.
I don't think anyone in the JSA had any problem with Takagenji's sumo style. That's purely my own opinion.

Beeswax posted:

But enough about Hakuho :v:
Sure. But with Hak it doesn't seem motivated by temper so much as "welp I'm old and have two functional limbs but I can still smack this whippersnapper silly." Probably not a great image but I've never thought he was striking to injure or cause pain - just to win. In contrast, Takagenji's body language got increasingly angry, and his slaps/pushes/throws more jerky and violent, the longer a fight went on. Like he was getting frustrated at not just winning. And I definitely saw him do things that unnecessarily risked injury to his opponents. That's not unique to him, of course; AOIYAMA did a big shove this basho that was definitely unnecessary and risky. But between Genji's fighting style, obvious temper, and the scandal just a couple of years ago where he was beating up other rikshi and his brother took the fall for them both, I had a healthy dislike for the guy.

And the main reason I don't like him being ejected for weed of all things is I'm sure he's the tip of the iceberg. Just like Asanoyama being made an example of despite probably lots of wrestlers violating COVID protocols. The standard in sumo isn't "don't do this thing," it's "don't get caught." Do as I say, not as I do.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i'm sure the rep he and his brother had didn't help but people in other sectors of japanese entertainment have had their careers ruined due to being caught with weed

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Also, the last dudes caught smoking up caused 4 guys to be kicked out and the grumpiest old man Kitanoumi, then chairman of the Sumo association to resign so drugs are a capital letter Big loving Deal that everyone involved in sumo should know the consequences of.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_sumo_cannabis_scandal

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Jeez, it's only cannabis. Not exactly loving smack.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

It's really illegal in Japan. :shrug: Weren't mushrooms only recently criminalized there though?

E: If you get a drug charge and you're any kind of famous you get disappeared. There was one guy who got caught with cocaine who was a character in a game so they hired a new person and patched the offender out of the game.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

net work error posted:

E: If you get a drug charge and you're any kind of famous you get disappeared. There was one guy who got caught with cocaine who was a character in a game so they hired a new person and patched the offender out of the game.
In Japan, famous people who gently caress up big enough wind up in the memory hole. A character in an anime I was translating was voiced by a famous Japanese dude and even inspired by and named for him. Said dude was arrested and indicted and sentenced to five years in prison for sexually assaulting an outcall masseuse IRL. Not only did the production team find a new voice actor for his character from that point forward, they had the new VA redub all of the criminal's existing lines for the home video release. I also remember Arino cheekily commenting about not being able to say a given sports figure's name on television after some career-ruining scandal. We're talking total persona non grata.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, Japan has a really lovely drug policy for its citizens, and a prosecution system that only takes on cases they will win, so if you get a drug charge there you're hosed.

Also what the gently caress no Hakuho in the opening ceremony? The Olympics suck.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hakuho more like HakuNO

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
The Organizing Comittee must be glad he can't elbow charge them.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Martytoof posted:

Hakuho more like HakuNO

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Jeez, it's only cannabis. Not exactly loving smack.

Japan are really really strict on any mind-altering substances including legal ones elsewhere. Before I went a few years ago i had to jump through a lot of hoops to have paperwork to prove my SSRIs were for my own personal use and were not for addiction.

https://livejapan.com/en/article-a0002471/

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Lid posted:

Japan are really really strict on any mind-altering substances including legal ones elsewhere. Before I went a few years ago i had to jump through a lot of hoops to have paperwork to prove my SSRIs were for my own personal use and were not for addiction.

I'm addicted to not hating my life sir. It's a burden.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I adore how they dont discriminate between ssri's and recreational drugs.

So you take them and it makes your brain work different?

Well yeah, but-

And it makes you feel good?

Well, I mean, yeah, but-

And if you stopped taking them abruptly you'd suffer?

Yes, but-

So you're addicted?

YES, BUT-

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Lid posted:

Shiiiiit I completely blanked on the fact that I'm now dealing with ADHD meds fo my next trip. Ugh.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Martytoof posted:

Shiiiiit I completely blanked on the fact that I'm now dealing with ADHD meds fo my next trip. Ugh.

This should help

https://www.associatedkyotoprogram.org/bringing-medications-japan/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh hey I’m on Concerta so that’s less worrisome. Anyway, not sumo related but thank you nonetheless, I actually hadn’t considered that at ALL before my (hopefully but somehow looking more unlikely) travel in early 22.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Woah, there's actual footage of Futabayama losing dropping his record win streak, I don't think I was aware of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC0SDPBwY9w

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://tachiai.org/2021/07/26/terunofujis-tsuna-uchi-takes-place-today/

terunofuji's rope is being made today. article talks about the two distinct dohyo-iri styles of shiranui and unryu (which i was previously aware of) but also the difference in how the rope belt is woven for practitioners of the two styles which i was not at all.

also the article mentions how both he and harumafuji are/were members of isegahama-beya and that the heya's oyakata used to be the yokuzana Asahifuji.

i know there's a limit of one foreign rikishi per heya, did terunofuji switch over when harumafuji was forced to retire? didn't start following sumo until summer of 2018 and wiki doesn't explain the timeline and you can't tell on sumo db when heya jumps or mergers occured.

edit: nevermind, it does

quote:

In September 2012, its wrestler Harumafuji won his second consecutive tournament and was promoted Yokozuna for the next basho. In March 2013, the stable absorbed the coach and wrestlers (Terunofuji, Wakaaoba and Shunba) of Magaki stable. Magaki was shut down due to the poor health of Magaki-oyakata.[2] Isegahama stable had four of its wrestlers ranked in the makuuchi and jūryō divisions in 2017, although Harumafuji retired in November 2017 and ōzeki Terunofuji fell to the lower divisions through injury in 2018 before staging a successful comeback, eventually reaching the rank of yokozuna in July 2021.

was the limit waived because of the merger?

Thauros fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 27, 2021

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Thauros posted:

https://tachiai.org/2021/07/26/terunofujis-tsuna-uchi-takes-place-today/

terunofuji's rope is being made today. article talks about the two distinct dohyo-iri styles of shiranui and unryu (which i was previously aware of) but also the difference in how the rope belt is woven for practitioners of the two styles which i was not at all.

also the article mentions how both he and harumafuji are/were members of isegahama-beya and that the heya's oyakata used to be the yokuzana Asahifuji.

i know there's a limit of one foreign rikishi per heya, did terunofuji switch over when harumafuji was forced to retire? didn't start following sumo until summer of 2018 and wiki doesn't explain the timeline and you can't tell on sumo db when heya jumps or mergers occured.

http://oyakata.seisa.de/

This is a heya/oyakata changelog dating back to 2000, so lets take a look:

Sumodb tells me that that Terunofuji entered Sumo in 2011 and was in Magaki before being in Isegahama, and Harumafuji entered Sumo in 2001 and was in Ajigawa before being in Isegahama.

2007 Nov 30 KC(Kabu changed) Ajigawa (former Asahifuji) changes to Isegahama. Ajigawa-beya is subsequently renamed into Isegahama-beya.

So looks like Harumafuji was just in the same heya all along, but it changed names, here's the next couple events chronologically that seem relevant:

2007 Nov 30 KB(Kabu bought) Aminishiki acquires Ajigawa-kabu.
2007 Dec 07 KA(Kabu assumed) Kobo retires and becomes Ajigawa-oyakata (on loan).
2018 Jan 12 RO(Retiredment (other) ) Otowayama (former Kobo) retires at the age of 45 as Takanohana (Ichidai Toshiyori), who still controls the kabu, wants to give the kabu to former Daido.
2019 Jul 17 KA Aminishiki retires and becomes Ajigawa-oyakata.

And as for Terunofuji:

2013 Mar 25 HS(Heya Shut-down) Magaki-beya shuts down. Magaki (former Wakanohana), all other personnel and all rikishi will be attached to Isegahama-beya from now on.

So it looks like the Hanada family have their hands all over that whole situation.

And yeah, the limit is for recruits.

Interestingly enough, Hakuho now owns the Magaki Kabu.

Brut fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 27, 2021

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Yeah, it's also why Aoiyama and Tochinoshin are both in Kasugano and we'll never see the matchup that you've probably never thought of, but will now never stop thinking about.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
God drat IT

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Well now we just need Tochinoshin and Aoiyama tied for first after the final day to bring about this event that we need to happen.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Beeswax posted:

God drat IT

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tochinoshin vs Aoiyama
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5wpXtYEQe4&t=140s

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Shiroc posted:

Well now we just need Tochinoshin and Aoiyama tied for first after the final day to bring about this event that we need to happen.

I would probably implode in pure happiness if Tochi managed a yoshi and immediately retired

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Aoiyama not sporting the massive moobs yet? Going for the belt immediately? WINNING a belt bout? Against TOCHINOSHIN? :psyboom:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

main event of that 2012 january basho day just posted is the first ever meeting between hakuho and takayasu! it was fun to see a mixture of guys that are still hanging around, guys who have recently retired like goeido, kotoshogiku, and yoshikaze, guys like baruto and harumafuji i've heard about but never seen complete, and guys i've never heard of before.

wish he had posted the ranks during the matchup graphics like he does now tho

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Banzuke.aspx?b=201201&heya=-1&shusshin=-1

complete banzuke's fun to look through to see all of the names who had reached their career high level up to that point. was curious if the only guy who was undefeated in maezumo ended up having a sucessful career and it turned out to be daieisho

Thauros fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 27, 2021

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Yeah, there's not many people in Maegashira there that are gone completely. There's a bunch of oyakata and a few are still kicking around in Makushita.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

anakha posted:

Aoiyama not sporting the massive moobs yet? Going for the belt immediately? WINNING a belt bout? Against TOCHINOSHIN? :psyboom:

:psyboom: Its like, yes, those are technically those two men fighting but also no, that is not Aoiyama or Tochinoshin.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Thauros posted:

main event of that 2012 january basho day just posted is the first ever meeting between hakuho and takayasu! it was fun to see a mixture of guys that are still hanging around, guys who have recently retired like goeido, kotoshogiku, and yoshikaze, guys like baruto and harumafuji i've heard about but never seen complete, and guys i've never heard of before.

wish he had posted the ranks during the matchup graphics like he does now tho

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Banzuke.aspx?b=201201&heya=-1&shusshin=-1

complete banzuke's fun to look through to see all of the names who had reached their career high level up to that point. was curious if the only guy who was undefeated in maezumo ended up having a sucessful career and it turned out to be daieisho

Man, I don't feel like I've been watching sumo that long, and it feels crazy that there are people in this thread who have never watched Harumafuji fight. It must be wild once you've been around long enough to recognize all the shipman from their wrestling days. Some day it's gonna be Goeido, Hakuho, Ikioi, Kotoshogiku, and Kisenosato out there loving up calls and driving everybody crazy.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
It'll probably be less funny to me when the shimpan have rikishi falling on them and messing up their little arrangements when I know who they actually are. Or I'll find it more funny. We'll see.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Shiroc posted:

It'll probably be less funny to me when the shimpan have rikishi falling on them and messing up their little arrangements when I know who they actually are. Or I'll find it more funny. We'll see.

after some of the bowling for shimpan that hakuho's done it'll be at least a little bit funny to see the tables turned

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Gyoji or shimpan get knocked into, everyone looks disheveled and the boy servants have to run out to restore everything, hilarious

When the cool old spectators have rikishi fall on them, it almost universally looks like the best day in their sumo fan lives, heartwarming

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Shiroc posted:

When the cool old spectators have rikishi fall on them, it almost universally looks like the best day in their sumo fan lives, heartwarming

In 80s/90s puroresu clips, Stan Hansen would literally beat with a bullrope any members of the audience that got in his way while he was making his way to the ring, and those people would be delighted at being able to interact with him, even in that fashion. It's definitely a thing in Japan.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

there was a bout some time in the last two basho where takayasu bowled over some middle-aged looking dude who he helped back up and pat on the back and the guy looked like he was on cloud nine :kimchi:

whats for dinner fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jul 27, 2021

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Shiroc posted:

Gyoji or shimpan get knocked into, everyone looks disheveled and the boy servants have to run out to restore everything, hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lw8_AKZW6I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

whats for dinner posted:

there was a bout some time in the last two basho where takayasu bowled over some middle-aged looking dude who he helped back up and pat on the back and the guy looked like he was on cloud nine :kimchi:

In all fairness, I wouldn't be surprised if someone in this thread has a deviant art account that is solely being crushed by AOIYAMA foreverially and loving it.