Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yes and yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Fermented sweet onions are divine too.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

effika posted:

My house is a little warm to ferment sauerkraut right now, but I had lots of extra cabbage from making coleslaw:

There is a glass weight in there, but it's hard to see.

I stuck it in a quiet closet. I will put a fresh ice pack nearby once a day to try to keep the temp down a few degrees. Our AC is set to 75F right now, so it just needs a little help. Thinking of picking up a cheap foam cooler.

If it turns out it is too warm, I'm only out time!

Look what a difference 3 weeks makes! (Chemistry junkies: Look at that red cabbage pH indicator color change! Definitely below 4 pH now.)

It is juuuust sour enough for me to like it. If I weren't impatient I'd do another week, but it's complex and tasty enough now. Yum.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Something to be aware off if one is using quart mason jars with the freezer plastic lids set up like that with the air lock, the plastic lids themselves aren’t air tight.

Sandtrout Catsuit
Feb 15, 2008

They were all over his body now. He could feel the pulse of his blood against the living membrane.
I pickled and canned 15 quarts and 2 pints of dill pickles yesterday! Turns out my kids love 'em.

Last year's pickled jalapenos developed a bitter, soapy taste. Any suggestions on how to prevent this? I used a sugarless brine.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Something to be aware off if one is using quart mason jars with the freezer plastic lids set up like that with the air lock, the plastic lids themselves aren’t air tight.

It's got a silicone gasket in the lid to help that, along with a gasket around the air lock. It was the Jillmo plastic lids fermentation set of off Amazon. Maybe not airtight but pretty good.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Oh yeah I wasn’t saying yours was that. Just a general warning cause I did it wrong the first time.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Cool cool. It is good remember next time for sure, in case I get lazy and don't want to use the gasket.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
I found out doing Rainer cherries in some Chinese scotch. The cherries at the top oxidized because the air was being in.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
July again, this means buying 10kg of strawberries from the local plantation, sorting them and making jam to last until next year.

We're freezing ours though, hence we can also use plastic freezer containers like this.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
We finally bought a steam juicer! This year we'll have a decent harvest of black currants, maybe red currants might be saved too if we get rain soon.

Anyway my first try was a pure experiment, I had heard people make cordial using black currant leaves and lemons. I used limes since I had no lemons. Also some sugar.

I got about 500ml of a orange urine lookine concentrate. Since it was an experiment I used a suitable container. I also cooked some black currant jello which goes great with meat, it's better to make jello earlier since the berries are higher in pectin then and cordial later in august when the berries give more juice.

Turned out quite nice, odd, but nice, refreshing! I think you can also make tea from the leaves.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

His Divine Shadow posted:

Anyway my first try was a pure experiment, I had heard people make cordial using black currant leaves and lemons. I used limes since I had no lemons. Also some sugar.

So I was seeing different things about steam juicers and citrus - is the takeaway here that you can steam juice citrus with a steam juicer but you will need to slice it first?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I wasn't sure, i just figured it would work better with larger surface area. But I believe a recipe like this isnt meant for the juicer, the traditional way is to boil it all in a pot and let it steep for several days.

We're gonna get a hella lot of apples this year it looks like, steam juicing apples is nice because you get this apple juice cordial and the leftovers are also edible, apple jam basically.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 29, 2021

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Sandtrout Catsuit posted:

Last year's pickled jalapenos developed a bitter, soapy taste. Any suggestions on how to prevent this? I used a sugarless brine.

I'd like to hear suggestions for this as well; I made a quick fridge pickle batch that included peppers and some of the peps ended up with an unpredictably intense bitterness.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021
One thing to consider, especially if you are canning homegrown, if that pepper flavor is super variable based on growing conditions. Uneven or sporadic watering can spike bitterness, especially in green peppers/Chilies. I've also found that some wine vinegar, white particularly, can get bitter in large amounts. I've also had decent luck with a brine presoak if you're slicing them.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Making sauerkraut for the first time. How long should it take before there's visible fermentation going on? I'm used to beer where you shouldn't worry till it's gone 48 hours but also realize it gets fed a ton of yeast to start.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

honda whisperer posted:

Making sauerkraut for the first time. How long should it take before there's visible fermentation going on? I'm used to beer where you shouldn't worry till it's gone 48 hours but also realize it gets fed a ton of yeast to start.

Depends on ambient temperature, salinity, ye olde vapors etc. It's been a while for me but I recall that my summer fermenting took 5-7 days (kitchen temp 76f or more) and winter takes more like 7-10+. Visible signs could be cloudiness in the liquid, or some bubbles or buoyancy in the cabbage. Of course you can also smell and taste daily...it should be fine as long as there isn't any fuzzy growth going on.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I had some bubbles day one. The first stage of fermenting produces gas, so you should see something if it's warm within a day or two. Tiny bubbles caught in the cabbage, changes at the airlock, bubbly foam starting to form, etc.

This page has a good overview of the process, though you have to scroll down a lot to get to the fermentation signs.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Thanks! That was a good link.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Anyone tried the new 'Denali' brand canning lids? They are getting advertised at me. I recently tried 'Pur' which I got at Ace Hardware (seems to be exclusive?) Which were ok, but some failures and some where the gasket rubber is not contiguous on the lid. Not in love, and would check out others...

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
The only canning lids we have in the shops here are Bernardin, and only in Gem and standard Mason with occasional shortages of those as well. It's probably been close to a year since I've seen Wide Mouth. Fortunately I stocked up on Standards over the last three years as the Dollar Store gets cheap lots in. This situation is doing nothing to disabuse me of my doomer prepper fantasies.

In desperation I ordered a couple of sets of Tattler re-usable lids to test out before canning season gets serious. So far, so good, they've been sealing better than regular metal lids. Only complaint is that you can't just write on the lids you have to apply separate labels. Oh, and apparently you have to be diligent about following instructions if you want them to seal.

We had a good year for cherries - the June heat wave kept the birds hiding in the woods and they didn't start hitting the trees until we'd already started harvesting. We ended up with 48 litres + several bags frozen and a couple of cannisters of dried cherries. We're ready for Armageddon now. As long as we have cherries I can face my maker.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I just spent three hours in the kitchen, making applesauce. This effort was enough to make ~6.5 quarts, using over 20 pounds of apples. I'd forgotten how labor-intensive they are, between having to cook them down and running them through the food mill.

Any tips to speed things up? I prefer the smoothness you get from milled sauce, so I'm leery of just pureeing the apples with their skins on in a food processor.

On a related note, any suggestions for what to do with a big ol' pile of apple skins with bits of apple on 'em?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

We use a lathe on the apples, also run them in the steam juicer. It's mostly a sit and wait operation once things are going, until it's time to put everything in containers. ​The juice is collected and the leftovers are mashed and turned into applesauce.

Last night I picked our black currant bush clean and steamed the berries, got this much from one bush + some red currants. Our red currant bush isn't doing so well, we got two more this year and put them in another spot, they seem to be doing well. Also got our first gooseberries this year. And the pears (first year we're getting any) are growing huge.

This is almost only black currant concentrate then, we usually mix red and black. But since I had none...

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I just spent three hours in the kitchen, making applesauce. This effort was enough to make ~6.5 quarts, using over 20 pounds of apples. I'd forgotten how labor-intensive they are, between having to cook them down and running them through the food mill.

Any tips to speed things up? I prefer the smoothness you get from milled sauce, so I'm leery of just pureeing the apples with their skins on in a food processor.

On a related note, any suggestions for what to do with a big ol' pile of apple skins with bits of apple on 'em?
An apple peeler can speed things up. As for peels, I've used them for booze infusions, depending on the type of apple, it works well. I've candied apple peel with limited success. I love the super chewy texture, but it's definitely weird. Great flavor though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the suggestions. I actually own an apple peeler, but didn't use it this time because I legit forgot I had it. Whoops! I may well end up doing another batch though, since I have an awful lot of apples left to get through.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
If you want another rabbit hole of a hobby, you can likely make apple wine out of peels and scrap.

Will take pectinase to clear out, but small batch fermentation of fruit is often tasty. You can also use a cider strain yeast, and have scrumpy!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Two buckets of gooseberries, we're not sure what to do with them aside from juicing them all. I made gooseberry jam once but did not care for it that much.

Also juiced more currants, both red, white and some black

There will be more buckets today waiting when I get home.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Canadian Tire had half a case of wide mouth mason lids yesterday. Nothing else on the shelves, no Gems or standards, and "Limit 4 per customer" signs on every bay. Still though, haven't seen WMM in any store here for close to a year.

Bought four boxes, went to another store, came back and bought another four. I think I might be the Canadian version of a sociopath.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I kept buying widemouth lids whenever I had the opportunity, and now I have like six boxes stashed away. I actually found myself in the strange position of running out of regular lids when I was making applesauce earlier this week. Had to use widemouth jars instead of the regular ones, so now I don't have enough widemouth jars for a full batch of pickles. :(

Sandtrout Catsuit
Feb 15, 2008

They were all over his body now. He could feel the pulse of his blood against the living membrane.
I got some Tattler reusable lids after reading about them in this thread. 7/7 sealed in the pressure canner, no problem. I still need to try them in the water bath canner.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Well this was a novel experience:

One of my batches of applesauce had too much citric acid in it. So, as an experiment, I mixed some baking soda into the dregs of one of the jars, hoping that that would neutralize some of the acid. This is the result: apple-flavored foam. I wouldn't really recommend it as a snack, but I could see a dollop or two being an interesting garnish on top of cake or something. It's quite stable. Unfortunately, it didn't do a whole lot for the flavor.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hexigrammus posted:

Canadian Tire had half a case of wide mouth mason lids yesterday. Nothing else on the shelves, no Gems or standards, and "Limit 4 per customer" signs on every bay. Still though, haven't seen WMM in any store here for close to a year.

Bought four boxes, went to another store, came back and bought another four. I think I might be the Canadian version of a sociopath.

brb I'm gonna pop over to Canadian Kitchenwares to get my wheels rotated and air pressure checked

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

oh thank goodness there is a canning thread. i finally am learning to can after years of being too intimidated by it, but no one i know wants to talk about it but my mom

so far i've canned dill pickles, bread and butter pickles, and sweet pickles. i hope they are all tasty but i still have a lot of quick pickles to work through before i can open a jar to do a taste test.

this weekend i want to buy some fruit and make jam for the first time. i've only ever made freezer jam before so this is exciting!

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

i made apple scrap vinegar last year and it's pretty nice and easy to make

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

What makes this time of year the best is putting up lots of delicious food from the harvest.

This week I rendered half a bushel of homegrown Roma tomatoes into delicious salsa. Two of the jalapeños were bright red, so this batch will keep me extra warm this winter.

Bonus pic of a tree frog chilling on a tomato.

Before the salsa, I shredded 25 lbs of cabbage purchased from the local farm stand known as the Tiki Hut and stuffed it in a crock with salt for sauerkraut.

It do make a mess of the kitchen.

It will fart on my kitchen counter until late November, early December before handing it out for the holidays.

Today I am making lacto-fermented cauliflower. The Tiki Hut announced they have pears now so I may have to start a batch of pear ginger butter in the crockpot this weekend.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Cauliflower is really good fermented.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

that salsa looks delicious :yum:

i haven't tried fermented cauliflower but that sounds good - got a recipe recommendation?

i fermented some yellow squash with basil & garlic and it smells exactly like hotdogs, it's uncanny

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

City of Glompton posted:

i haven't tried fermented cauliflower but that sounds good - got a recipe recommendation?

i fermented some yellow squash with basil & garlic and it smells exactly like hotdogs, it's uncanny

Cultures for Health has a basic recipe I have embellished over the years. I add different veggies with the cauliflower and carrots depending on what's in the garden.

https://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/recipe/lacto-fermentation-recipes/lacto-fermented-cauliflower-carrots-garlic/

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

thank you very much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

City of Glompton posted:

Yo if you haven't made pickled eggs yet, do it. Super easy since they don't require processing and very tasty. The big jars that sit in dive bars give them a bad rep but they're delicious and you can make several varieties with minor variations to the recipe.