Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Not really. It’s like ready player one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
His space jam video is amazing because it's such a weird movie and you can have a lot of fun with it.

His workstation video isn't amazing because I've seen a dozen variations of the theme play out in my tickets at work and nobody has ever had their inner furry awaken by wasting money in a b2b setting. That's more the realm ob b2c.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Sydin posted:

Space Jam divisive, apparently. I've got half my feed telling me it's great and half telling me it's garbage. It's also got a huge critic-audience score gap on RT.

I feel like that's just how RT is at this point. With the publicity some of the recent score gaps have gotten it's just sort of become a battleground for people to try and force the rest of the world to comply with their media opinions. Just a ton of people who cannot handle the idea that review aggregators are not an absolute measure of a movie's objective quality.

Like, Tuca and Bertie has a 99% critic score on RT but only a 68% audience score which seems weird because that show is very clearly trying to appeal to a fairly specific niche and does what it does fairly well, so it feels like a decent chunk of the 32% who disliked it were probably people who weren't in its target demographic to begin with but had very strong opinions that a show not targeted towards them exists.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Zach Hadel (psychicpebbles) guests on The Create Unknown to discuss his work and influence on the upcoming Smiling Friends show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3SPnm43q3E

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

KingKalamari posted:

I feel like that's just how RT is at this point. With the publicity some of the recent score gaps have gotten it's just sort of become a battleground for people to try and force the rest of the world to comply with their media opinions. Just a ton of people who cannot handle the idea that review aggregators are not an absolute measure of a movie's objective quality.

Like, Tuca and Bertie has a 99% critic score on RT but only a 68% audience score which seems weird because that show is very clearly trying to appeal to a fairly specific niche and does what it does fairly well, so it feels like a decent chunk of the 32% who disliked it were probably people who weren't in its target demographic to begin with but had very strong opinions that a show not targeted towards them exists.

The RT Audience Score is also still very easily review bomb-able despite the efforts taken to curtail such tactics in the wake of Angry Men leaving 5,000 zero star reviews for Captain Marvel like three weeks before it even landed in theaters. I'd trust one of those toys where you pull the rip cord and it tells you what sounds farm animals make's opinions on movies and TV shows before I'd put any stock in the Rotten Tomatoes Dot Com Audience Score.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

nine-gear crow posted:

one of those toys where you pull the rip cord and it tells you what sounds farm animals make
:ssh: The name you're looking for is "See n' Say"

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

everything i've seen of space jam 2 makes it look like a corporate trainwreck so bad it wraps around to ironic enjoyment but im sure if i actually see it i'll be disappointed in some way

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

CYBEReris posted:

everything i've seen of space jam 2 makes it look like a corporate trainwreck so bad it wraps around to ironic enjoyment but im sure if i actually see it i'll be disappointed in some way
You just described SpaceJam 1 too so I guess they did right by the original.

I think the only actual genuine laugh Spacejam the original got from me was when the baddie saw Bill Murray's character and exclaimed 'I didn't know Dan Aykroyd was in this picture!'.

Other than that its jusr a worse Who framed Rodger Rabbit hypercharged with 90s nostalgia and memeified to the shrek degree.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
there are many people out there who watched space jam the first as a child and still believe that it's good. I wonder how many of them might re-evaluate that after watching space jam 2

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Is it weird that I've accepted that ironic enjoyment is the same thing as actual enjoyment but I can't accept the idea of someone liking spacejam unironically?

Edit: maybe i was just at the right age to see how blindingly obvious the pandering to my demographic was. These out of date characters playing basketball.

Closest thing to it is the XXX movies where Xander Cage drives Jack Thompsons car off a bridge for his youtube chanel then goes back to his house which is a combination nightclub skatepark. Half expected to see the foot clan in the background of those shots lol.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 24, 2021

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

https://twitter.com/KyleKallgren/status/1418933795907121157?s=19

"Huh, i wonder why Kyle hasn't been around much."

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

It's already gone

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The only good stuff in the first space jam is in the live action segments with the basketball players. Charles Barkley gave exactly the amount of barely a gently caress needed for his role to work

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The 7th Guest posted:

The only good stuff in the first space jam is in the live action segments with the basketball players. Charles Barkley gave exactly the amount of barely a gently caress needed for his role to work

Be gone, wannabe! Be gone!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The 7th Guest posted:

You're not Charles Barkley, you're just some guy who looks like him! Sorry man. Begone wannabe, begone!

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

... and he is my navigator.

Already deleted. Is he all right? :ohdear:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I will say one good thing Space Jam 2 had was giving the role of announcers for the big basketball game to Ernie Johnson Jr. and Lil Rel Howery instead of a toon. Johnson doing his usual deadpan strangeness with Rel having manic energy is genuinely a good comedy team and I mainly just want a movie of those two guys having to go around the world commentating on various insane fantasy sports situations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Peoples responses to the deleted Kyle kallgren tweet are still up and from the little context that provides it seems its another development in that ongoing twitter drama from last year with jourdain searles and Todd in the Shadows et al.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

posting to find smthn

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

My "this is Kyle writing this, of my own volition" preface is prompting a lot of questions already answered by

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

This is one occasion not to touch the poop.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

josh04 posted:

My "this is Kyle writing this, of my own volition" preface is prompting a lot of questions already answered by

He did say that "this is A kyle "

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Hoo boy, it looks like he’s being abused and forced to write that.

In similarly cheery news, https://youtu.be/OF9HLsPFfCw

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
What the actual hell.

Even Kyle??

The TTWTG gang really was cursed by the fates, or assembled with gallery of broken types.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

thetoughestbean posted:

Hoo boy, it looks like he’s being abused and forced to write that.

In similarly cheery news, https://youtu.be/OF9HLsPFfCw

Class act of those particular TLOU2 fans.

Sephyr posted:

What the actual hell.

Even Kyle??

The TTWTG gang really was cursed by the fates, or assembled with gallery of broken types.

You say that as if nobody on that site came out uncorrupted..

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 24, 2021

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Sephyr posted:

What the actual hell.

Even Kyle??

I wonder if being located around Chicago is another factor to this?

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Grouchio posted:

If you're saying what I think you're saying, then yes, it's entirely possible that Chicago is haunted by the ghost of Al Capone.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

DeafNote posted:

You say that as if nobody on that site came out uncorrupted..

Of the people from TGWTG I still follow, Linkara, Phelous, Allison Pregler (Obscurus Lupa), Ashens, Film Brain, and Mike Jeavons (Shameful Sequels) all seem to have come out of TGWTG mostly unscathed. The first two are even still doing what's basically the same schtick they did when they were on the site. But yeah, that's not exactly great when you consider there were dozens of people on there at its peak.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 24, 2021

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Grouchio posted:

Are you implying that Channel Awesome was hexed because they were not sufficiently deferential to deep dish pizza?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Mr.Radar posted:

Of the people from TGWTG I still follow, Linkara, Phelous, Allison Pregler (Obscurus Lupa), Ashens, Film Brain, and Mike Jeavons (Shameful Sequels) all seem to have come out of TGWTG mostly unscathed. The first two are even still doing what's basically the same schtick they did when they were on the site. But yeah, that's not exactly great when you consider there were dozens of people on there at its peak.

Todd in the Shadows is doing pretty well.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Is Todd still MIA reasons unknown?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Yardbomb posted:

Is Todd still MIA reasons unknown?

Hes still posting videos so idgi

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SongVsSongPod/status/1415382355728949249
looks like todd's account is suspended due to a DMCA takedown

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Aw that's lame as poo poo, dismantle copyright.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

this is some late act 2 horror thriller poo poo

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

On kyle's twitter he says they broke up.

I imagined in my head that something like this would happen for similar reasons but now that's it's happening i feel like a dick for even considering it.

I don't know what happened but it's clear what he and (pretty loudly mind) implicitly she thought wasn't it. At worst it was just lovely jokes in an environment of poop touchers where it's systematically impossible to get them to stop.

I hope he finds peace and forgives himself because that isn't an guarantee even when relationships with abuse end.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

I feel numb rn. I just can’t up but think kiwi farmers and the likes have been aware of these shitstorms and joining in the fray at least partially based on Foldable and us talked by about her.

Like clearly Kyle was getting abuse and I’m honestly glad it’s over but the cure was loving poo poo and I feel upset even inadvertently contributing to that.

I need space and somewhere else to talk. Junpei you already have my self probe request.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

Are you implying that Channel Awesome was hexed because they were not sufficiently deferential to deep dish pizza?

Any deference to deep dish pizza is already excessive.

But back on topic, I guess it hits harder with the whole "Youtube is(was) just regular people having a go at it" aspect. Watching a community form and then seeing it wither and break away due to abuse, malfeasance, nervous breakdown, paranoia and burnout engulfing such a large percentage of it feels like 40% of the real world is also like that.

Which is not the case, of course. Youtube stopped being 'regular people' maybe a year after its debut. A lot of the people who started doing videos as a career were the types who would normally be trying for theater, TV, comedy or news but were not conventionally attractive or well-connected, so rolled the dice on a new platform.

And we know enough about celebrity culture since the 1920s to be aware of how hosed up the people that make it can be, how it hollows out the few 'common' folk that manage to get in, and how even their neuroses and breakdowns become part of the show.

Stars in the 1920s had managers and friends in the hollywood-backed media, so they could be alcoholics, wife-beaters, or neonazis with little harm to their public image: it'd be swept under the rug until they stopped making money, and by then nobody cared. There's a new face around!

Now we see people that fell into the public eye because they did a Final Fantasy spoof video the week the algorithm thought that was important, having to keep churning content while hoping YT doesn't change the rules on them again, dealing directly with fanbases that alternate between fawning and terrifying, cultivating ties with other creators so they stay relevant and tending to their own personal lives on top of that, all by themselves.

So it's no surprise that they crack, or get pasteurized into the corporate aspect of the site: just brands, likely not even related to the original, ad-sellers trying to be memes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I think that Channel Awesome specifically had problems because it was full of people copying a guy whose main gimmick was being mad at video games.