Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Apollodorus posted:

TBH I think he’s right about Alien.

By which I mean I don’t think the Company knew about the signal before the movie started but I do think Mother and Ash were programmed beforehand with the protocols that made the crew expendable when they did find something.

I believe we will have to agree to disagree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edit:
She did not think of Aliens

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 23, 2021

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I think that point of contention bends heavily on exactly how much stock you put into events surrounding Prometheus and the other prequel that shall not be named. If Ridley Scott ever finishes his Crayola script and macaroni-picture storyboard for the third prequel and mails it out of the nursing home, we'll likely get a much stronger answer to "just how much did the Company know about what kind of heebie-jeebies there are out there in the void?"

Personally I like the other explanation though, that the Company just had some very callous attitudes towards crew value in the face of coming across anything potentially valuable, and reflected that in their ships' and androids' latent programming.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm never not thinking about Aliens.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Mister Speaker posted:

Personally I like the other explanation though, that the Company just had some very callous attitudes towards crew value in the face of coming across anything potentially valuable, and reflected that in their ships' and androids' latent programming.

Yeah, WY is a huge transplanetary Halliburton and it stands to (nerdy, fake) reason that in a long-planned shipping route a probe or lesser vessel may have previously come across the Derelict's GTFO message and somebody planetside raised a flag because it sounded familiar and was from suspect territory. MUTHR probably has a zillion hidden special orders for lots of contingencies, so they just install a new Science Officer with generic programming on the next ship using that route to be sure any new Science is Officered. MUTHR is the brains, Ash is the hands. If nothing happens on the trip nobody ever knows. If something does happen, it's covered up by layers of other carried-out special orders. Bing bong.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Edit:
She did not think of Aliens

Well that’s probably a good thing since she would have been wrong.

its alien duh

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I watch a lot of tabletop gaming/miniature painting channels on YT and I've recently been seeing some of them put out vids for both the Alien RPG and the Aliens miniature game. I'd like to get both but I don't know if anyone I game with would want to play the RPG as they're mostly the typical D&D players and not big into sci-fi survival horror. I might still grab the RPG though, the sourcebook looks to be really high quality in terms of both design and production.

The Alien RPG is fantastic and a ton of fun. Aside from the rules being solid, the scenarios they’ve published are absolutely bananas in the best ways. Just an incredible rollcoaster ride of surprises, betrayals, and white knuckle moments. There is also a very active community on Facebook/discord that runs a lot of virtual games so even if your regular group isn’t interested you can still get some games in.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Class Warcraft posted:

The Alien RPG is fantastic and a ton of fun. Aside from the rules being solid, the scenarios they’ve published are absolutely bananas in the best ways. Just an incredible rollcoaster ride of surprises, betrayals, and white knuckle moments. There is also a very active community on Facebook/discord that runs a lot of virtual games so even if your regular group isn’t interested you can still get some games in.

Sounds hella fun.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm never not thinking about Aliens.

:same:

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

I was not thinking about aliens (the movie) but then I clicked on my bookmarks page and welp. If xenomorphs could speak English, what do you all think they would sound like?

Based on the shape of the mouth, I think they would have a thick prairie accent, kind of like boomhauer from king of the hill.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Classic 80s valley girls.

'Like, Becky just like GRABBED the Colonial Marine I had been like STALKING for like HOURS, and then just like TORE it in half instead of like COCOONING it... What a BITCH.'

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I was not thinking about aliens (the movie) but then I clicked on my bookmarks page and welp. If xenomorphs could speak English, what do you all think they would sound like?

Based on the shape of the mouth, I think they would have a thick prairie accent, kind of like boomhauer from king of the hill.

Do they talk with their big mouth or their small mouth?

Also, given their clenched teeth, they talk like they've got coke jaw all the time.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Young Freud posted:

Also, given their clenched teeth, they talk like they've got coke jaw all the time.

This is exactly the line of thinking I went down. The clenched jaw and lack of lip movement in the big mouth would make them very mumbly, like boomhauer.

But I am interested to hear differing opinions as well.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Prof. Crocodile posted:

This is exactly the line of thinking I went down. The clenched jaw and lack of lip movement in the big mouth would make them very mumbly, like boomhauer.

But I am interested to hear differing opinions as well.

I tell you what man ah was followin' that danged ol' colonist for like 2 hours man, dude was like I'm... gonna go do some colonist junk man and danged if he didn't go round this ol' chicks place and they was like boodleloodleooo and man you should have seen their faces when I just went round them airducts and popped out from under than danged ol' bed they was in like boo and he was like I told you don't be coming 'round here no more you danged ol' zeenoh and I just grabbed 'em both and brought 'em down here 'n cahcooned 'em right up so they could get... danged ol'... facehuggered..., cause boy I don't take no lip from no drat colonist coming here, putting atmospheere reactors all over the drat place, and now he prolly got a danged ol' ovipositor down his throat I tell you hwat.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 23, 2021

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jay_Zombie posted:

I tell you what man ah was followin' that danged ol' colonist for like 2 hours man, dude was like I'm... gonna go do some colonist junk man and danged if he didn't go round this ol' chicks place and they was like boodleloodleooo and man you should have seen their faces when I just went round them airducts and popped out from under than danged ol' bed they was in like boo and he was like I told you don't be coming 'round here no more you danged ol' zeenoh and I just grabbed 'em both and brought 'em down here 'n cahcooned 'em right up so they could get... danged ol'... facehuggered..., cause boy I don't take no lip from no drat colonist coming here, putting atmospheere reactors all over the drat place, and now he prolly got a danged ol' ovipositor down his throat I tell you hwat.

Too long for a thread title but well done

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Cobra Commander.

Young Freud posted:

Both. The small one is a higher pitched Cobra Commander.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

:stonk:

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Too long for a thread title but well done

Thinkin' bout thos Aliens: You need a danged ol' facehuggerin'

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Cobra Commander.

Nailed it. I was going to say Starscream, and I didn't even know until thinking about it just now that they're the same voice.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cobra Commander.

And they argue with each other.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Do you guys think if it weren't for that egg opening, Ripley would've honored her unspoken truce with the alien queen? Or was she going to double cross the queen anyway

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Eh, she might have blown everything up anyway.

It's the only way to be sure.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Do you guys think if it weren't for that egg opening, Ripley would've honored her unspoken truce with the alien queen? Or was she going to double cross the queen anyway
No need to double cross the queen, she and all her babbies were sitting in a giant bomb. She was pre-crossed.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
They could have chased her the moment she got away from the eggs though.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Yeah there were at least 2 xenomorphs nearby. Hard to imagine they would've just let her saunter out...the truce was likely destined to fail anyway. Still a really cool little moment in the film.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Yeah it's a big moment of gently caress this poo poo catharsis for Ripley. The flamethrower probably would have been enough but then she just sprays her rifle across the egg chamber.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Yeah there were at least 2 xenomorphs nearby. Hard to imagine they would've just let her saunter out...the truce was likely destined to fail anyway. Still a really cool little moment in the film.

They're were probably just those two. They could only impregnate up to 157 colonists (less any killed, only James Cameron knows how many xenos died in the colonists' last stand, the Marines' initial probe, charging the two sentry gun pairs' chokepoints, and the final assault on the Operations room. They're could only be a handful of xenos left before Ripley enters the hive.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Young Freud posted:

They're were probably just those two. They could only impregnate up to 157 colonists (less any killed, only James Cameron knows how many xenos died in the colonists' last stand, the Marines' initial probe, charging the two sentry gun pairs' chokepoints, and the final assault on the Operations room. They're could only be a handful of xenos left before Ripley enters the hive.

Theoretically there could have been farm animals and dog sized+ pets to impregnate, since colonists brought pets and didn’t a couple of marines get taken as well?

I always figured those two Xenos were the Queen’s guard, but thinking on it, she probably didn’t need them at that point.

E: Even more theoretically, the Engineer’s Xeno could have been around somewhere.

tight aspirations fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jul 26, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Young Freud posted:

I still stand by my completely unsupported by any evidence belief that being hived up makes you a semi-reusable host

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Reusable in what sense?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Jay_Zombie posted:

This is art.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

zenguitarman posted:

Yeah it's a big moment of gently caress this poo poo catharsis for Ripley. The flamethrower probably would have been enough but then she just sprays her rifle across the egg chamber.

Catharsis is right.
Remember that Ripley also fired a few grenades right into, what was essentially, the Queen's babymaker.
Seems like it was kind of payback for the Xenomorphs essentially robbing her of her own daughter, and then trying to rob her of her new "adopted" daughter. Sort of like, "I'll teach you to mess with my kids by destroying yours, and your ability to have more."

There is almost a brief instant of mutual acknowledgement that both Ripely and the Queen are in a no win situation and that they will mutually gently caress each other's poo poo up. If the Queen lets her Xeno's attack Ripley will burn her eggs, and probably her before she goes down (and probably the grenades will go off too, but that's speculative) and Ripley knows that if she outright just burns the eggs, she's going to immediately get jumped. So she demonstrates in a "look what I can do to your babies, you don't want that, do you?"

So, the Queen orders her Xeno's to hold back, but not outright retreat. The Queen isn't totally stupid, she's working for the survival of her hive, but I highly doubt that once Ripley is clear of the eggs, that the Queen will let her waltz right out of there. I don't know how the eggs are triggered to open. Whether the hugger inside somehow senses that a potential host is near and opens deliberately, or if it's a reflex based on the fact that the egg is of the correct maturity and there's something nearby, or of it's just random dumb luck that an egg opened at that particular moment. But at that point, it doesn't matter. It could be the equivalent of the accidental shot that triggers a massacre, but the results are the same. Ripley was not going to let that one sneak by.

Then we get this instant right here. This perfect little "Really?" glare and head tilt right before she just lays waste to everything in sight.

That's one of my favorite parts.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 26, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xenomrph posted:

Reusable in what sense?
You get facehuggered, chest bursted bursts out, you don't quite die yet and you get another facehugger

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

PhotoKirk posted:

This is art.

Thankums.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I LOVE the head tilt.

Splicer posted:

You get facehuggered, chest bursted bursts out, you don't quite die yet and you get another facehugger

You definitely die.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

You definitely die.
Eventually.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Interesting that if Ripley'd have left the eggs alone, the queen probably wouldn't have chased and managed to sneak an egg aboard the dropship, leading to Newt's death and the infestation at Fiorino.

Little nod at MAD I guess.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

tight aspirations posted:

E: Even more theoretically, the Engineer’s Xeno could have been around somewhere.

Oh no it would have been loooong dead by then. What would it have eaten?

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 26, 2021

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Apollodorus posted:

Oh no it would have been loooong dead by then. What would it have eaten?

The eggs were alive and well, just saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

tight aspirations posted:

The eggs were alive and well, just saying.

I kind of figured that the layer of light above the eggs that Kane comments on reacting to him when he broke it was part of a preservation system that kept the eggs fresh for the trip, and had remained functioning even after the crash. Of course, who knows how long the alien lifecycle even is - the vacuum of space doesn't bother them so maybe they don't even die of old age!