Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Fishstick posted:

Ive been playing this for a week or so and am a level 70ish doing elite runs. Which leads me to my question: how do you deal with Elite Monks? The AE "gently caress-you" area is huge, and they seemingly heal to full everytime they teleport? Took down a group of 4 of us after we plinked it for 5 minutes and just gave up because we weren't making a dent in it.

If you aren't solo, then you really have to spread the each corner of the arena as far apart from each other to make sure it can only catch one, maybe two of you at a time. At this point it feels like the worst designed elite, with frustration stemming from how long it can take to kill rather than how dangerous it itself is to the player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Relentless posted:

That's gotten a little screwy, the Fire Tower is actually slower than the Foundry, but the Foundry is as fast as some other things:

https://gunfirereborn.fandom.com/wiki/Movement_Speed

tl;dr: Flowing Light or Poisonous Ghost if you have them, else just equip the Foundry for boulder things.

The big secret on the Desert one is do NOT go after the red chest first. Go right, then back left to the main chest. From the main chest you can jump across the boulders to the red chest, and then you're going with boulders instead of against them to get out.

Don't forget that there's a meta upgrade that gives melee weapons +20% move speed.

Also the worst is when you're too fast by Act 3 so you can't do the pillar jumps to the secret chest.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
the pillar jump secret is super annoying, and knowing how it works is not much help, just the game mechanics can gently caress you out of being able to do it

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

the parkour rooms are my favorite vaults just behind Elite vaults because they're super easy and two free occult scrolls. The trick is to just be fast enough you can you strafe jump the hard sections instead of having to awkwardly jump dash.

Cat struggles the hardest because of having the lowest base speed, but with even one speed enhancing scroll you can be set. The devs even fixed the only bullshit jump left in one of the desert vaults.

Maybe I'll clip a recording of me doing the parkour vaults with base speed if that'll help folks.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Went back to this recently:

it was certainly a run.

Also I beat Yoruhime-Maru for the first time on a different run, which I guess they nerfed it recently? The cannonfire in the later parts of it felt way more forgiving.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Oh my god I just did two full runs to try and get parkour vault footage in the desert on Normal and only just remembered they loving removed parkour vaults from Normal mode.

:negative:

It baffles me they even did that, especially after fixing the one job. Did people just get super turned off by jumping puzzles to complain enough about it?

Dave47
Oct 3, 2012

Shut up and take my money!

Evil Kit posted:

the parkour rooms are my favorite vaults
Counterpoint: Jumping puzzles in FPS games are garbage, a fact which has been universally known since the 1990s.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Dave47 posted:

Counterpoint: Jumping puzzles in FPS games are garbage, a fact which has been universally known since the 1990s.

counter counterpoint: that's when they're hamfistedly forced in a game not designed around actual jumping. Also they usually block progression in some way, making them even more frustrating. Video game design has come a long way since the 1990s as well.

Gunfire at least does a good job of making it entirely optional and fairly easy experience with a generally appealing reward at the end for succeeding, doubly so if you can master the hard route.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
nightmare is kicking my rear end, I do so little damage to the vault bosses, Ive run out of ammo a few times and then usually die to one of the minions they spawn

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Evil Kit posted:

counter counterpoint: that's when they're hamfistedly forced in a game not designed around actual jumping.

That would describe gunfire yes

Movement does not feel good or polished in this game and while it could ultimately get there if the devs focused on it, which it doesn’t appear they’re going to, the game would currently be improved by all the boulder and jumping vaults being axed entirely

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Nightmare is where you start needing to A) has basically maxed out your talent tree and relevant hero talents B) actually really care about inscriptions and elemental weaknesses. Especially any Elite enemy with a giant armor bar, you need a corrosion weapon your will run out of ammo.

Also aim for crit spots, and if you want you can also fully clear a level to get the Golden Goblet for an ascension before going back to fight an Elite vault.

If you'd like some help clearing it join the Gunfire Goons group and I can help via co-op! If you'd rather not join, here's my steam friend code 66644532

edit: so not to double post

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

That would describe gunfire yes

Movement does not feel good or polished in this game and while it could ultimately get there if the devs focused on it, which it doesn’t appear they’re going to, the game would currently be improved by all the boulder and jumping vaults being axed entirely

gonna give you a hard disagree on this. The movement is great and feels pretty smooth and the hitboxes are tight enough it's generally your fault if you flummox something. I'll be willing to admit this is a personal take though that not everyone is gonna agree with.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
I like the jump puzzles except for the zone 3 post jumping one

also I see no steam results for "gunfire goons"

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 20, 2021

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
World 3's secret path in the jump puzzle is pretty easy imo because all the dash jumps are the exact distance of your dash, so you jump to the right height and dash and do nothing else. Move speed doesn't effect dash distance so if you're overshooting it because you have high move speed, you need to let go of W earlier and/or hold W for less time before dashing.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I like the jump puzzles except for the zone 3 post jumping one

also I see no steam results for "gunfire goons"

Here's a link Gunfire Goons

Count Uvula posted:

World 3's secret path in the jump puzzle is pretty easy imo because all the dash jumps are the exact distance of your dash, so you jump to the right height and dash and do nothing else. Move speed doesn't effect dash distance so if you're overshooting it because you have high move speed, you need to let go of W earlier and/or hold W for less time before dashing.

Fun fact, since the Bunny update (and maybe even semi-major update before that?) I have not seen the world 3 parkour vault once. That's one I don't miss though, if only because it's so exacting to a ridiculous degree.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Count Uvula posted:

You can also juke it and avoid that whole 2nd part with the pillars.

There's a broken upright beam to the right of that, if you jump, airdash, and then spam jump on it, sometimes it'll let you jump a second time, and then you can just hop right on up.

And you don't even HAVE to do that, because if one of your teammates opens it, you can do a standing jump from the little ledge under it and reach all 3 scrolls anyway.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Evil Kit posted:

Oh my god I just did two full runs to try and get parkour vault footage in the desert on Normal and only just remembered they loving removed parkour vaults from Normal mode.

:negative:

It baffles me they even did that, especially after fixing the one job. Did people just get super turned off by jumping puzzles to complain enough about it?

It's funny, because they are actually making normal mode harder by removing these vaults! After the first pair of tries, they are two free scrolls.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Relentless posted:

And you don't even HAVE to do that, because if one of your teammates opens it, you can do a standing jump from the little ledge under it and reach all 3 scrolls anyway.

Similarly:
In the desert jumping puzzle with the wooden bridge you can get the right-most scroll from the bonus chest by jump-dashing from on top of the normal chest. I think if you have foundry equipped without any movespeed bonuses you have just enough jumping distance to nab it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Once in area 3 I killed an Elite Kappa (I think?) that had flown up onto a platform I couldn't reach and it dropped a goblet :argh: After futzing around for a few minutes I managed to stand on some random level geometry underneath it and make a blind leap towards the center of the platform while looking straight up and was just able to activate it and get the upgrade. Maybe give item drops like that infinite height or something so you can 'pick them up' from any Z plane?

The desert jumping puzzle is sometimes trivial and sometimes impossible, depending on if I feel like being able to curve jumps around those wooden platforms or not.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Aight, time for a bit of an effort post. Here are some clips of me doing both Desert vaults with a base MS Prince aka the slowest character in the game. Along with the base MS clips will be some with speed boosts from Occult Scrolls and/or a melee weapon while having the weapon specific talent maxed out for the extra % MS.

In the base MS clips I'll just be mousing over each scroll in my inventory to prove none of them provide a MS buff.

Base MS Desert Vault 1:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/789881673092562944/867161799040303184/Desert_Parkour_Vault_1.mp4

+55% MS Desert Vault 1:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/789881673092562944/867161741392871444/Desert_Parkour_Vault_1_with_Speed.mp4

In Desert Vault 2 is the infamous jumps I'll be pointing it out by shooting in the first two clips. The corner jump to the diagonal wooden platform is the nasty one and the trick is to aim primarily towards the center but tending towards the right side, as that's where your character will naturally catch on instead of face planting.

Base MS Desert Vault 2:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/789881673092562944/867161689064996926/Desert_Vault_2_base_movespeed.mp4

+30% MS Desert Vault 2:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/789881673092562944/867161661345103932/Desert_Vault_2_30_movespeed.mp4

+80% MS Desert Vault 2

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/789881673092562944/867161555028148274/Desert_Vault_2_80_movespeed.mp4

Additional note: if you're playing literally any character other than Prince, having a melee weapon or a single +MS Occult scroll is more than enough to trivialize the parkour in the desert. Hell, Bird doesn't even need +MS scrolls as Leap lets him cheat his way past some jumps. Hopefully these help if you've been struggling with the parkour!

Also bonus clip of the Longling Tomb Boulder Vault:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/789881673092562944/867161592876498984/Longling_Tomb_Boulder_Vault.mp4

Specifically with this vault, you can get an alternative pattern in the first section where both boulders roll down at the same time and you're forced to use the alcoves instead of grazing them like I do in the clip.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

is there any gemini/weapon combo better than this? all 3 damage types so it applies all the combo debuffs too, 50% shock chance and lightning dmg helps against the stupid archery fish dudes in act 3

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

is there any gemini/weapon combo better than this? all 3 damage types so it applies all the combo debuffs too, 50% shock chance and lightning dmg helps against the stupid archery fish dudes in act 3

I'm curious if you were actually getting fire elemental from Lappy on the sword, as I believe he counts as only Corrosion for the purposes of elemental sharing to other weapons.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Evil Kit posted:

I'm curious if you were actually getting fire elemental from Lappy on the sword, as I believe he counts as only Corrosion for the purposes of elemental sharing to other weapons.

I'm not using the sword

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I'm not using the sword

Ah! Well the shock chance would be based on the weapon you're using I'm pretty sure so it should be 10% but I honestly haven't ever actually tested it. That'd be pretty nuts if that gemini inscription inherited the elemental proc chance as well.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Evil Kit posted:

Ah! Well the shock chance would be based on the weapon you're using I'm pretty sure so it should be 10% but I honestly haven't ever actually tested it. That'd be pretty nuts if that gemini inscription inherited the elemental proc chance as well.

I mean I don't have the code so I can't say for sure but the shock effect applied to enemies all the time almost immediately so it definitely seemed like it took the 50%

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I mean I don't have the code so I can't say for sure but the shock effect applied to enemies all the time almost immediately so it definitely seemed like it took the 50%

Well poo poo, I'mma have to test that out then. Easy procing blight via lightning/corrosion combo would be nuts

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Evil Kit posted:

Well poo poo, I'mma have to test that out then. Easy procing blight via lightning/corrosion combo would be nuts

I've gotten that flowing light/dual fang and gemini combo twice and each time it was the easiest run. You proc all debuffs constantly, it's ridiculous. Pretty much every run I am on the lookout for a dual fang and some sort of lightning weapon, but flowing light is definitely the best just for that 50%

every enemy quickly looks like this

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 21, 2021

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

This is why I love this game

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/789881673092562944/867862652381691904/a_thing_happened.mp4

every enemy quickly looks like this

I love it :allears:

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Evil Kit posted:

It counts for whatever the element it displays at bottom right at the time is, so if it's your offhand you have to choose one or the other by firing it once, but not both.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

So uh, the clip of that Aura of Venom I posted? I picked it up after killing the desert boss.

It carried the gently caress out of me to finish Reincarnation 4. 52% of the total damage I did over the entire run occurred in the last stage on one goddamn gun lol.

Sighence posted:

It counts for whatever the element it displays at bottom right at the time is, so if it's your offhand you have to choose one or the other by firing it once, but not both.

Y'know I never actually paid attention to that, I always assumed it stayed on corrosion and the fire was just an intrinsic part of the game. TIL.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Evil Kit posted:

So uh, the clip of that Aura of Venom I posted? I picked it up after killing the desert boss.

It carried the gently caress out of me to finish Reincarnation 4. 52% of the total damage I did over the entire run occurred in the last stage on one goddamn gun lol.

Y'know I never actually paid attention to that, I always assumed it stayed on corrosion and the fire was just an intrinsic part of the game. TIL.

The acid shooter has some weird coding going on with its altfire. I had one and started getting the skill that gives you free shots after a reload (Dog skilltree?) and what I think was happening was it would count each mag dump of the gun's alt fire as a single shot. Like, say I had 'first 3 shots after reloading don't consume ammo', when I would reload and hit alt-fire it would (I think) mag dump continuously for 4x mag rounds. It would just spray darts constantly for like 6 seconds, it was impossible to aim but also awesome :tubular:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Takes No Damage posted:

The acid shooter has some weird coding going on with its altfire. I had one and started getting the skill that gives you free shots after a reload (Dog skilltree?) and what I think was happening was it would count each mag dump of the gun's alt fire as a single shot. Like, say I had 'first 3 shots after reloading don't consume ammo', when I would reload and hit alt-fire it would (I think) mag dump continuously for 4x mag rounds. It would just spray darts constantly for like 6 seconds, it was impossible to aim but also awesome :tubular:

That's a Bird ascension! But yeah, with "Missed shots return ammo" I thought I would literally just fire forever, combined with a huge mag and Against the Flow. Must be hardcoded to just shoot up to a certain amount and then stop.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Deft Hands does that too, free ammo for 2 seconds after a kill and the Aura's altfire just goes haywire. It's great.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'm a big fan of the combined magazine Gemini with Wild Hunt. That shotgun...is definitely not designed to fire off more than like, 4 shots.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Arzaac posted:

I'm a big fan of the combined magazine Gemini with Wild Hunt. That shotgun...is definitely not designed to fire off more than like, 4 shots.

What is this blasphemous horse birdshit???

GRDubbs was also an early adopter of acid gun alt-fire jank:

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

thought: will right clicking a single time with advanced depot + aura of venom make it uncontrollably fire away all your ammo?

https://i.imgur.com/jgXUvCi.mp4

answer: yes, and that owns

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'm just saying, its loving amazing but you'd better be ready for that recoil to send your gun to the sky

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I actually found the Aura has a weird ceiling of recoil. In the one clip you can see it go straight up and just stop while continuing to fire, that was me not touching my mouse.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wooo first Elite win after never getting past the desert before. Kept trying to get somewhere with rabbit but she's too glass cannony for me, so I tried tanking it instead. Some good luck and a string of helpful scrolls (and a souped up Wildhunt) carried me to victory.

Dragonchaser is pretty sweet once you get its little homing beacon stuck to something's head, and a 7-shell/clip Wildhunt cleans up close encounters real nice.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Congrats! First Elite clears are always exhilarating. Nightmare is a step up that I'd only recommend after you've mostly filled out your talent tree, at the very least all of the damage talents and survival talents.

It's funny because I personally consider Bunny and Bird to be the two tanks, since Bunny's final talent actually allows her to keep shield regenning even when getting shot. If you don't have it yet though I can totally understand why you wouldn't consider her one.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't have anyone's final talent yet, I'm trying to buy them roughly in order of cost to give myself a smoother powerup curve, though I'm sure it would be more efficient to save up for the more useful skills and wait on buying Start With +100 Copper :v: Oh well no rush, gives me something to look forward to as I always seem to fall off on games like this once I run out of carrots rabbit pun to chase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Finally got all the speed run cheevos in the bank :toot:

Nightmare took me some tries but I finally cracked it with ol' reliable:

Slap Bird best Bird.

Tomb 1 Max Cleave goblet, Tomb 2 Dual Edge scroll and Easy Kill set me up to clean house as I proceeded to get perfect Slap Bird ascensions dropping at the right moment the rest of the run to let me sweep the game. I think I could have even gotten closer to 20 minutes if I had stopped going into vaults in the latter half of desert, but was comfortable enough that I just full cleared. Got me some extra goblets from elites and a solid finish slapping the Abyssal Serpent to death.

I even got stuck with Wind God and was slap strong enough that point to actually just cleave it to death.