Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kit Walker posted:

The one point you’re wrong on is that Faro didn’t really contribute anything besides funds. Sobek was the one who actually developed the technology that helped undo climate change. Faro simply had his name on the company. The comparison to Musk is extremely apt. Faro has a giant ego but it doesn’t come from his own accomplishments. The only thing he ever did was work with the right people

not only that, but when sobeck split from faro after becoming disillusioned by his profit-chasing in the military sector, he spent the rest of his pre-apocalypse career harassing her with lawsuits and patent grabs

he was a petty worm right from the beginning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Oxxidation posted:

not only that, but when sobeck split from faro after becoming disillusioned by his profit-chasing in the military sector, he spent the rest of his pre-apocalypse career harassing her with lawsuits and patent grabs

he was a petty worm right from the beginning

I took that as him being a dick in the way you would expect from any ultra-capitalist but didn't think it meant he was incapable of doing similar work, just that she was always smarter and better at it. A lot of his sniping at Sobek and others sounded like him being ego-hurt about no longer being the best engineer in town when compared to the new kid who then rightly shunned him for his militaristic endeavors. Must have just misread something at some point about him designing things and building up his company himself versus doing the aforementioned Musk thing of paying engineers under you and then taking the credit. Either way I think the outcome and criticism is much the same, just that he made a bunch of business decisions which led to him being the savior and then destroyer of the world rather than being the one who personally designed the machines himself.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the point of faro is that he was a marketing man. he knew nothing except how to exploit other people's inventions to gain capital, and sobek's inventions in particular were the ones that propelled him to the top of the heap. the primary example we do have of his own engineering input is the "hack-proof" directive that directly led to the faro plague

he was an idiot who could never have been treated as a savior outside of a capitalist society, and when his actions led to that society literally eating itself he could do nothing but squeal and panic about how it was affecting his company stock

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Different aspects of the program like the bunkers and the humanity ark that shot off into space were kind of sparsely documented from what I remember playing the game, probably to be expanded on further in the upcoming sequel.

The space ark though minimally covered does have its end result reported on: In one of the logs Sobek relays to the ALPHAs that something wen catastrophically wrong as the Odyssey prepped to leave the system. "antimatter containment failure". So all were lost before leaving the system. And then she emphasizes that Zero Dawn is the absolute last hope of future human life no pressure y'all.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

A question was answered. There is still the question of where the signal that made the subroutines rebel came from.

In The Frozen Wilds, there are references to a previous hostile AI that the reactions to made developing CYAN difficult. It's also mentioned that there were persistent rumors that the hostile AI survived somehow. That's my guess. It was named something like Deep Silver Vast Silver or something like that.

I'm guessing that's where the signal came from, and possibly even the cause of the Faro Plague glitch in the first place.

Incidentally, its mildly irritating that HZDs sequel shares an acronym with its DLC (Frozen Wilds/Forbidden West.)

Agents are GO! has a new favorite as of 01:44 on Jul 24, 2021

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The rogue AI antagonist of the DLC is a separate rogue AI from the main game. and both are confirmed alive and somewhere out there by the end of the game with Sylens seeming to capture HADES.

AND there is the matter of the mysterious signal.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

Dark Souls 3's second and final DLC starts you off in an area called the Dreg Heap. It's the manifestation of DS3's idea of essentially 'fantasy Big Crunch'; the game's been making a big deal that time and space are getting distorted, and the Dreg Heap is where it's getting distorted towards. Civilizations both great and small converging on each other in a big pile of architectural decay. It's a really neat concept, and a super interesting way to re-use assets, since it's all crashing together; you're climbing sideways on towers and the like.

But the interesting part to me is which assets they thought to re-use. It starts with parts of Londor, the first and last area you visit in DS3. And its boss arena is Direlink Shrine from DS1, which is honestly the only place it could've been. But between those two is the Earthen Peak from DS2, which is only really remembered from A: being one of the resident Poison Zones, and B: having the worst zone transition in the series, where you travel up on an elevator (in a keep open to the elements with collapsed towers) into a... subterranean fortress. Not only do they bring back the poisonous grounds of the Earthen Keep, they even call back to the elevator, by making the way you leave that area to drop down from the now-destroyed elevator shaft.

It's one thing to reuse assets from your own game, that's just smart. Bringing back a classic area is just knowing your audience. But bringing back an area only known for being bad, and trying to make something good out of it? That takes guts.

Because I'm a sucker for it, I'm borrowing from the Inspector Gesicht school (despite not remembering how to spell his name): What other exceptionally interesting or daring ways to re-use assets or designs do people remember?

it's probably been mentioned but i'm not caught up yet but i really liked in Dead Space 2 where you go on the ship from the first one expecting a fight and get nothing

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Sally posted:

The space ark though minimally covered does have its end result reported on: In one of the logs Sobek relays to the ALPHAs that something wen catastrophically wrong as the Odyssey prepped to leave the system. "antimatter containment failure". So all were lost before leaving the system. And then she emphasizes that Zero Dawn is the absolute last hope of future human life no pressure y'all.

I was only mentioning that based on some fan speculation, mainly this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnwzpnLC8yg

Which might just be grasping at straws trying to explain the three streaks in the sky in the promotional material, but the possibility of the ark surviving in some form has at least been floated even though the logs in HZD make it sound like it was a complete loss. Going to have to wait for Forbidden West to find out.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

You have to wonder if this is because he's an idiot, or because there isn't currently a pressing need irl. The easy answer is he sucks, which he does, but so did Ted. He was just the money man.

It's because he's a meme-y wannabe rock star "scientist" who gives more thought to what'll get his name and picture on stuff than anything else.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I definitely agree with the take that Ted was never technically brilliant but just business brilliant and that Musk is a solid comparison.

Sobeck directly chides him during the meeting to discuss Zero Dawn, saying "you do what you do best, foot the bill". Sobeck was the brains behind the robots that saved the planet during the claw back and he rode that success into hero status and then decided he needed even more money and moved into military machines and drove Sobeck out. Then when his stupid unhackable machines of war go rogue and he can't cover it up he comes crawling back to Sobeck because he knows she's the only one smart enough to fix it. He's never really portrayed as an engineer/designer behind the tech, just the leader of FAS, directing what it should be. There's the one audio log with him directly telling the engineer to mack the machines have no backdoor.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's because he's a meme-y wannabe rock star "scientist" who gives more thought to what'll get his name and picture on stuff than anything else.

Much like Ted Faro

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man this game didn’t get this discussed when it was recently released.
I played some of the game, not all, but I read about this Faro fellow and lmao that he decided to make his apocalypse bots use biomass for fuel, be self replicating, and be unhackable and nobody ever told him uhhh, no.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Sally posted:

The rogue AI antagonist of the DLC is a separate rogue AI from the main game. and both are confirmed alive and somewhere out there by the end of the game with Sylens seeming to capture HADES.

AND there is the matter of the mysterious signal.

I think one of us is misreading something. I'm not talking about Hephaestus, I'm talking about the old-world rogue AI that's only mentioned in logs, and saying that I think that AI is responsible for the mysterious signal, and possibly for the original Faro Plague Glitch.

Hell, now that I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised if it sabotaged the Ark spacecraft, too.

Agents are GO! has a new favorite as of 02:50 on Jul 24, 2021

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I like in the game "Everhood" you come across a game console, and get challenged to a game by an NPC.

You boot it up, and like the old Genesis loading screen where it "voices" Seg~a

Well, it does that too, except the console is named Smeg~ma

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Johnny Aztec posted:

I like in the game "Everhood" you come across a game console, and get challenged to a game by an NPC.

You boot it up, and like the old Genesis loading screen where it "voices" Seg~a

Well, it does that too, except the console is named Smeg~ma

I'm torn because I'm mentally five years old, but also five-year-old me would not have recognized the word 'smegma'

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
HZD is one of my all time favorite games, for many of the reasons stated in this thread. Normally I would be hyped as gently caress for the sequel, but there's just nothing they could do in the present time to compare to the big reveals of what happened in the past. Hopefully they pull it off.

gently caress Ted Faro

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Lechtansi posted:

HZD is one of my all time favorite games, for many of the reasons stated in this thread. Normally I would be hyped as gently caress for the sequel, but there's just nothing they could do in the present time to compare to the big reveals of what happened in the past. Hopefully they pull it off.

gently caress Ted Faro

Also a favorite thing about the sequel: its coming to ps4 too, since I wont be getting a PS5 for a while.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sally posted:

I wouldn't count it out; They only THINK it was destroyed. They don't know for certain what actually occurred iirc, just that they lost contact and what looked like an antimatter explosion occurred. It's also far too good a plot hook to toss away like that when you can pull it out a few sequels later with either the ark returning to Earth, or even better; Turns out it worked and now full-grown "modern" humans with knowledge of all those advanced technologies are coming back to their homeworld.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Has anyone said gently caress Ted faro yet?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Has anyone said gently caress Ted faro yet?

Yes, but that's okay, it bears repeating.

Also, I think a much better plotline for a HZD sequel would be Aloy somehow figuring out a way to retrieve the Arks copy of Apollo.

Also, the ending scene in HZD where you see that Sobek made it home. Really high pollen count when I watched that scene.

Also the posters who skip all the story bits remind me of how Trump had his kids fast-forward through Bloodsport to "the good parts." Real great company you're keeping, just the best.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Agents are GO! posted:

I think one of us is misreading something. I'm not talking about Hephaestus, I'm talking about the old-world rogue AI that's only mentioned in logs, and saying that I think that AI is responsible for the mysterious signal, and possibly for the original Faro Plague Glitch.

Hell, now that I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised if it sabotaged the Ark spacecraft, too.

ah yah i misunderstood you

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
also for a different little thing from a different game...

in the modern Tomb Raider trilogy, sometimes when Lara sits at a campfire she'll comment on the plot of the game. just kinda talkin' to herself. well in Shadow of the Tomb Raider, if you sit down at a campfire when Jonah is with you, he'll sit down too and they'll have a bit of banter back and forth. nice touch.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
I'm replaying Fallout New Vegas and I love a change HUD colour option. It makes me feel like the options menu is a bit more of a safe zone that I decided on. This is a big thing I like about the shelters in Death Stranding as well.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The locked room murder mystery side mission in Hitman 3 is a delightful diversion in a game that's like 90% fun diversions. Even moreso since after I cleared it I used the same murder method to off my target :twisted:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wouldn't count it out; They only THINK it was destroyed. They don't know for certain what actually occurred iirc, just that they lost contact and what looked like an antimatter explosion occurred. It's also far too good a plot hook to toss away like that when you can pull it out a few sequels later with either the ark returning to Earth, or even better; Turns out it worked and now full-grown "modern" humans with knowledge of all those advanced technologies are coming back to their homeworld.

quote:

TO: All-Alphas
SUBJECT: Odyssey Has Failed

All,

Some terrible news, I'm afraid. Far Zenith has informed me that the Odyssey mission has failed. Last night, telemetry indicated a catastrophic antimatter containment failure as the drives spun up to depart the solar system. The ship, its crew, its cargo of zygotes and seeds, its alpha-build of APOLLO - all were lost.

Zero Dawn is now the only hope for the continuation of the human species and Earthly life.

We must succeed.

Elisabet

Two points. The characters have zero qualms about lying and disinformation. Sobeck misled the world about the nature of Project Zero Dawn. Dalgaard is the frontman for a group of shadowy billionaires as well.

Secondly, the word "telemetry". Not a simple light telescope pointed at a brightly glowing drive spraying photons in every which direction. Telemetry. But at that point, everyone was in an underground bunker, everyone was focused on PZD, likely no one was going to put too much effort into it.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
This thread looks like my graphics card seizing up

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I bought HZD because a friend who knows my taste in games recommended it to me as an upcoming project I might be interested in, and I ended up buying it at launch. Post-apocalyptic robot dinosaurs, female protagonist who isn't obviously and obnoxiously sexualised, sounds like a fun time.

But it did surprise me in that, well. The YA-ish stuff in the beginning in the Nora valley, can Aloy be accepted by the tribe, was what I expected the game was going be, and I was fine with that. I was all set to play that game and enjoy it. It just turned out to be so much more than that and it really earned that special place in my heart.

I'm glad the sequel is going to be on ps4 too, though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think the main story does a really good job of setting up many narrative questions that are all answered in a satisfying way, with some twists you can see coming if you’re paying attention, but others that still manage to surprise. It’s a fine line trying to not make your story too predictable while also not just handwaving in some schlock to make all the pieces fit but I think HZD does it better than most.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Crowetron posted:

The locked room murder mystery side mission in Hitman 3 is a delightful diversion in a game that's like 90% fun diversions. Even moreso since after I cleared it I used the same murder method to off my target :twisted:

I can't tell if you mean that you did it... Or that you let the killer accomplish their goal, but she doesn't have to even die by your hand!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Dark Souls 3's second and final DLC starts you off in an area called the Dreg Heap. It's the manifestation of DS3's idea of essentially 'fantasy Big Crunch'; the game's been making a big deal that time and space are getting distorted, and the Dreg Heap is where it's getting distorted towards. Civilizations both great and small converging on each other in a big pile of architectural decay. It's a really neat concept, and a super interesting way to re-use assets, since it's all crashing together; you're climbing sideways on towers and the like.

But the interesting part to me is which assets they thought to re-use. It starts with parts of Londor, the first and last area you visit in DS3. And its boss arena is Direlink Shrine from DS1, which is honestly the only place it could've been. But between those two is the Earthen Peak from DS2, which is only really remembered from A: being one of the resident Poison Zones, and B: having the worst zone transition in the series, where you travel up on an elevator (in a keep open to the elements with collapsed towers) into a... subterranean fortress. Not only do they bring back the poisonous grounds of the Earthen Keep, they even call back to the elevator, by making the way you leave that area to drop down from the now-destroyed elevator shaft.

It's one thing to reuse assets from your own game, that's just smart. Bringing back a classic area is just knowing your audience. But bringing back an area only known for being bad, and trying to make something good out of it? That takes guts.

Because I'm a sucker for it, I'm borrowing from the Inspector Gesicht school (despite not remembering how to spell his name): What other exceptionally interesting or daring ways to re-use assets or designs do people remember?

One thing I really liked in the original release of Final Fantasy 4: The After Years was how it handled sprites. The sprites in the game are actually based off the Final Fantasy 6 sprites, not the Final Fantasy 4 ones, to show a passing of time from the original game. Except in flashbacks where instead they use the Final Fantasy 4 sprite style (even for characters who didn't exist at the time) to show it is in the past.

Edit: Also the dude's name is Pharaoh and he literally spent his last days in a giant pyramid full of excess he made as a monument to himself. What the game is doing ain't subtle.

ImpAtom has a new favorite as of 14:58 on Jul 24, 2021

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Cleretic posted:

Fromsoft games are shamelessly self-referential in surprising ways that take into account feedback from their audience. For instance, early on in Bloodborne, on the path to the first mandatory boss, there's a dark house containing an old man in a wheelchair who will try and shoot you if you approach him. He is also guaranteed to drop bullets. So most players, in their first run through of the game, will always make a detour into that house to murder a nigh-defenseless disabled old man for their ammo stash.

In the Hunter's Nightmare DLC, you enter a distorted version of Yharnam City. There just so happens to be a dark house with the same layout, with a wheelchair in the same location. There's even some glowing loot right there on the body. Except, the wheelchair is rigged up to a proximity bomb, and if it goes off it sets off a number of explosive urns that will one shot you if you stand near the loot.

There's no need for the DLC level designers to call back to this location. Except that the location in the base game stood out in the minds of the audience, and so the DLC designers wanted to call back to it, and play a cruel prank.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
In Witcher 3 there’s a side quest to find a giant cat that’s stealing merchants’ food. Relatively unsurprisingly, it’s a doppelgänger. What WAS surprising was that I did the quest at the point in the game where I needed to find my doppler friend for rescue mission and had the option to ask the culprit to do it instead. He refuses, but it’s still really impressive that the game is as big as it is and fully voiced and still thought of a little thing that people would normally just have a laugh about after trying it on their second playthrough for shits and giggles and gave the option to keep the narrative relatively tight, like really impressive.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm torn because I'm mentally five years old, but also five-year-old me would not have recognized the word 'smegma'

Here we go. I was terrible and suck so much for not linking to it to begin with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfw72Yj4zB4&t=1481s

Also, Everhood is an amazing game, and AlphaBetaGamer is an amazing YT channel

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
I recently started playing Breath of the Wild again I've come to appreciate that riding your horse isn't just "driving" an animal.

Nintendo coded the horses to actually have intelligence, so instead you're guiding the horse, not controlling it.

Just tap A to get the horse going and that's it. It will keep going forward until you specifically stop it, or if it absolutely can't go forward any more. If you're not pressing the joystick, the horse will automatically follow paths and avoid any obstacles it comes across. It can actually be really relaxing if you're traveling a long road, as you can just let the horse do its thing while you are free to swing the camera around and look at the world.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Did HZD's PC port ever get to a good place? I remember it having performance problems in a big way for lots of folks. Also, it the moment to moment gameplay actually fun? I'm not knocking the game or folks liking it, but I understand it to be of the Assassin's Creed school of game design and while there isn't anything wrong with that it can get old.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The PC version of HZD was fixed and now it’s a really decent port. The machine-based combat is definitely a step above as it’s a lot more like Monster Hunter than a mindless hack and slash. You have to scan for a robot’s weaknesses and use a variety of strategies, elemental effects & weapons to bring them down, giving the encounters against elite machines a really epic quality. While it’s got some familiar trappings of an open world RPG it’s also rather compact as far as they go, taking maybe 50-60 hours for 100% completion. Horizon is one of those few games like ME2 where I find every moment enjoyable to play.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Warbird posted:

Did HZD's PC port ever get to a good place? I remember it having performance problems in a big way for lots of folks. Also, it the moment to moment gameplay actually fun? I'm not knocking the game or folks liking it, but I understand it to be of the Assassin's Creed school of game design and while there isn't anything wrong with that it can get old.

I can’t speak about the port but the gameplay is very different from Assassin’s Creed. You’re mostly fighting giant robot animals and they key to combat is learning how to exploit their different weaknesses (like noticing this one has ice canisters on its legs so if you shoot them with ice arrows they’ll explode and damage it along with every other enemy around it while also freezing them, which both slows them down and increases your damage, or that this other enemy has a big gun on its head so if you shoot it with tear arrows it’ll come off and you can grab it to shoot the enemy dead with its own gun, or maybe you’ll just lay down a bunch of traps and lure the enemy into it, etc.) There are human enemies but they’re barely a challenge and not really the focus of the game

The game took me a bit longer to complete than most people by the sounds of it, but that’s mostly because I tried playing it really stealthy for the first half. While that’s totally a viable strategy (sneaking between tall grass to pick off the weak enemies one at a time until you’re down to one or two threats), it’s just as rewarding to dash in like a big badass and dart around your enemies blasting them to pieces

It does have a bit of the collectathon aspect of other open world games but fortunately there really isn’t a lot to collect and it’s not really important so you can skip it all if you don’t give a poo poo about that sort of thing

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 19:12 on Jul 24, 2021

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh nice, thanks! I’ll keep an eye out for a sale or something.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I played HZD on PC and had a persistent bug where my brightness would blow out and turn the screen completely white sometimes (often during fights!), and the only way to do anything about it was to open and close the inventory menu until it stopped. It would just happen again 5 minutes later, and it got really tiresome towards the end.

But yeah combat is great, very fun. Aloy is very vocal too, and when you've blown off a bunch of armor from the laser t rex and start hitting it with harpoons to tie it down to get a clear shot at his weak point and Aloy growls "I'm gonna bring you down!" as it struggles against ropes while trying to stomp you, its just :discourse:

Sandwich Anarchist has a new favorite as of 19:14 on Jul 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Velocity Raptor posted:

I recently started playing Breath of the Wild again I've come to appreciate that riding your horse isn't just "driving" an animal.

Nintendo coded the horses to actually have intelligence, so instead you're guiding the horse, not controlling it.

Just tap A to get the horse going and that's it. It will keep going forward until you specifically stop it, or if it absolutely can't go forward any more. If you're not pressing the joystick, the horse will automatically follow paths and avoid any obstacles it comes across. It can actually be really relaxing if you're traveling a long road, as you can just let the horse do its thing while you are free to swing the camera around and look at the world.

I remember people being so confused about riding Agro in Shadow of the Colossus, because they never picked up that you're really not controlling her, but rather still controlling Wander on the reins. She 'autosteers' as well, and you'll do much better just controlling to turn her in the right general direction and then letting the autopathing dodge obstacles.