Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

croup coughfield posted:

the story of zomboid's development has been an endless series of very funny twists and turns and i hope they keep doing extremely dumb poo poo for ten more years

Same. B41 has been an absolute joy and totally worth the money, and I think I'm going to check back with them again in 6 months to see what's happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I picked up SCUM a few days ago, and have been enjoying the single-player mode. I'm not interested in multiplayer, but hot drat this is a survival simulation. There's a lot of detail in a lot of systems - instead of just a general "hunger" bar, you have metabolic needs (calories, carbs, protein, sugar, fat, etc.) and vitamin/mineral levels. I found some vitamins and raided a cornfield and a farmhouse and got all my vitamin/mineral meters in the green... except for vitamin D. Turns out, I was wearing 3 layers of long sleeves, gloves, a hat, and a balaclava. Took all that poo poo off and laid down in the sun for a bit, and my D levels started going up (slowly).

They also model the archer's paradox and the wobble of arrows in flight, and you can track animals before and after they're wounded. I managed to wound a goat with an arrow, but he circled around and butted me to the ground, loving up my thigh for a bit. As I was chasing him down, I lost the tracks and then it started to rain, so there's probably a dead goat laying in some bushes that I'll never get to eat.

But there was good news! After I lost the goat, my thigh got better (I literally walked it off), so I hit the nearby town and found a gas can (only a small bit of gas, but there's a gas station nearby with a lot more), a car repair kit, and a bunch of food (not enough, though, never enough). Now I can head back down to the truck I found way early that only had a smidgen of fuel in it, drive it to the gas station, and have a mobile storage container.

There are also zombies ("puppets") all over the place (usually only one or two in an area at a time) and big walker mechs (they look like smaller versions of the big 2-legged walkers in Gen Zero) that protect military bases and other high-value areas. I haven't hosed with the mechs too much, but they definitely seem like late-game problems. Loot containers also respawn every 10 minutes or so. There's an .ini file for server settings that I could play with, but I don't know if turning the loot spawn timer to 0 will make things never respawn, or never spawn in the first place, so I haven't done anything yet and just try to ignore places that I've already looted (and all the internet help I found was just "change all these to 9 to get a bunch of stuff right away" which is the exact opposite of what I'm wanting).

It's a very detailed and kinda janky game. It reminds me of a well-made ArmA mod, or a good version of DayZ (DayZ is not a well-made ArmA mod, just so I'm clear). It's still quite EA, though, and I have a high tolerance for jankiness, so it's definitely not a game for everybody. I think some of you survival sim nerds might enjoy it. Again, I have no interest in multiplayer so I don't know anything about it other than that it exists, and if you want a private server, you have to rent one.

edit:

Synnr posted:

What, if any, is in the field of single player survival simmy fps type stuff out there besides like 7dtd? Tarkov is kind of just a loot shooter and rust and all that are just sandbox pvp stuff (to me). I've grown a little weary of stalker mods and I don't really enjoy multiplayer versions of the sort of game most of the time, because I don't really HAVE the time to invest in poopsocking, or the multiplayer scene is just trash.

I do love stalker but I'm guessing that's the only thing that's going to really fit that category? Maybe my desires are just counter to the whole concept, I dunno.

What's up, alternate-universe me? I wasn't specifically responding to your post, but I think you'd like SCUM. There aren't as many zombies as 7Days (unless they ramp up over time or at bigger locations) and there's no escalating horde, but it has been hitting all of my "survive and scavenge" buttons this week.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 24, 2021

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Did they ever add AI prisoner/contestant (whatever they are) bots to the single player mode?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I thought SCUM was an entirely MP battle royale piece of poo poo that failed?

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

ShootaBoy posted:

I thought SCUM was an entirely MP battle royale piece of poo poo that failed?

Maybe? Like I said, I don't care about mp (not even PVE unless it's people I know), so I haven't touched it. I wouldn't want to pvp in this game, because there are a lot of games that already exist and are probably much better at it. I'm sure they're still trying to make it a thing, though.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Did they ever add AI prisoner/contestant (whatever they are) bots to the single player mode?

Not that I'm aware of. I haven't seen anyone but puppets, and some of them are implied to be other prisoners, but I don't think that's what you mean.

I've just been playing it as a solo survival game and it's good, not great, but still better than most of the other options I've tried.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I tried SCUM for a mostly SP experience myself but got put off by the pretty bad interface, unintuitive crafting, and incredibly long travel distances for little purpose. The scale between points of interest is ridiculously high and the actual gameplay never struck me as very engaging.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

They promised they'd add non-NotZombie bots (and I don't mean the robots) in at some point.

I am completely unsurprised they haven't. lol

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Scum: eat puppets to hit 10000% of your daily cholesterol needs

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

EDIT: Nobody told me there were loving giant robots in SCUM! That changes everything.

explosivo posted:

The new automation stuff felt sort of unnecessary to this game when I first heard about it because I never had issues getting what I needed before but after playing it a bunch it's not really factorio levels of automation here, and what they have added really gels nicely with the existing modular design that game already has going on.

Automation really shines if you have an auto extractor set up on some deposit of something you need lots of, because you get anywhere from ten to a hundred times as much resources using one of those. I dropped one on top of an Ammonia deposit, you need ammonia for rocket fuel hydrazine mostly, filled up two full containers, brought those and a container full of hydrogen over to a chemistry station, had another little auto arm there to pull out the finished product and I have a huge jar of rocket fuel now. I don't need to worry about running out between bases any time soon.

DOUBLE EDIT:

If you want something Stalker-like with a bit of jank to it, "DESOLATE" is pretty good. Desolate has guns but ammo is extraordinarily limited and the materials to make ammo yourself are also limited, so instead there's lots of scrounging and mostly melee weapons to muck with. You're on some weird island full of strange people, energy anomalies and mutated wildlife and eventually you get to do quests that let you take over certain areas from hostile bandits so more parts of the map are safer to traverse. Drinking and eating regularly are pretty simple but there's also a stress meter to manage. You can turn herbs into a joint to smoke to calm yourself down, which makes this the first game I've seen that has weed smoking as a tactical use.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 24, 2021

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Speedball posted:

EDIT: Nobody told me there were loving giant robots in SCUM! That changes everything.

If you're playing single-player you can limit how many can spawn at a time, or remove them entirely. Same with the puppet spawns; you can bump them up to make things more dangerous if you want.

Also, thanks for the Desolate mini-review. I've had it on my wishlist for a while, because it felt like a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. clone. It reminded me of what Survarium was supposed to be, and I was hyped for Survarium before it turned into just another pvp deathmatch game and then I stopped paying attention to it. Tactical Joint Smoking might have just pushed it up the list. :)

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 24, 2021

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Is Conan Exiles worth playing single player/coop?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I enjoyed it. I played on a goon server but mostly did my own stuff solo (it was fun checking out other people's places though).

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

beats for junkies posted:

I've just been playing it as a solo survival game and it's good, not great, but still better than most of the other options I've tried.

I've been playing SCUM for over 1000 hours already and here's the thing: it was envisioned as a realistic survival with a side of combat, but since the realistic survival systems are still very much in development (next big update is 0.6) there hasn't been a lot to do other than PVP, so a lot of people have been playing it as a looter shooter battle royale type of game. Which of course is understandable, since it is a gameshow prison island scenario (although set in the year 2077 or something) but again, none of the reality TV aspect / PVE / lore / NPC's are in the game yet.

A lot of focus in development lately has gone into making the first iteration of the fabled metabolism system which will take the first step towards a more realistic survival and eventually lead to diseases, better medical system (instead of "slap a bandage over your M16 exit wound"), realistic water/calorie intake needs, hypothermia and so forth.

The giant robots are mostly guarding the TEC-1 bases (which is the organizer of the said reality show on the island). You're mostly meant to sneak past them for now.

If you want a better zombie (called puppets in the game) survival experience hook up on a server that has more of them and their damage upped. The vanilla (official) server puppets hit like a wet noodle and are rarely dangerous. Hopefully they add puppets opening doors and climbing windows soon (already teased being tested). Some private servers have a PVE thing going on with special trading zones and housing (where you can't raid or damage other players or pick their locks) and a bit of RP.

But yeah SCUM is still very much a work in progress and should be judged more thoroughly when they start adding that actual survival content. You can definitely still get a fun survival experience already, but most of what they sold the game with aren't still in the game. But the development is active, devs communicate a lot and it's definitely a steady, albeit slow, process.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 24, 2021

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
SCUM is the only game I know that have a realistic(?) metabolism system with daily nutrition supplement monitor that affect your overall health in various aspect. I certainly appreciates the optional need to consume different source of food that isn't just varied value of restoring a single hunger bar.

The implementation so far seems good and it's at least a curio that's worth experiencing.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Nyaa posted:

SCUM is the only game I know that have a realistic(?) metabolism system with daily nutrition supplement monitor that affect your overall health in various aspect. I certainly appreciates the optional need to consume different source of food that isn't just varied value of restoring a single hunger bar.

The implementation so far seems good and it's at least a curio that's worth experiencing.

The metabolism system was what made me pay attention to SCUM a couple years ago, and last week I found the archery video they did when archery was introduced as a thing (a few years ago, which shows just how much attention I've actually been paying) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsjZoeKVsPc. That little archery documentary made me finally pull the trigger and give the game a shot (it was also on sale). The metabolism stuff is cool, but could use a bit of work on defining things and why they're important. For example, I know that "Fe" is Iron, and that it's used to move oxygen throughout the body and found in meat, lentils, and leafy greens like spinach and kale, but not everyone does, and the game could use a little popup that says something like that (or at least just show the full name of the vitamin/mineral on hover). I noticed last night that your gear load goes up when you jog or run - I was at 85% carrying capacity while walking, but it jumped to over 100% when I was jogging. There are a lot of neat little details on that metabolism screen, but I want more information on what they do and what affects them!

The very light zombie population and early access status aren't downsides for me. I have plenty of survival games with zombies where "more is better" for loot and zombies. I disagree, but I know that I'm in a very small minority with that. SCUM being a lonely survival/scavenge game with minimal combat is why I like it. I know their focus is on multiplayer, but I don't care about that.

One complaint I have is that it does feel too big for how little infrastructure there is. This is supposed to be a private prison island for a tv show, give the people something to watch! If there were about 50% more POIs than there are now (I'm considering a village or town to be a single POI), or the map was about 2/3 the size, it would feel better. I don't want 7 Days to Die levels of things, because I already have 7 DtD for that, and I turn off the 7th day hordes and set loot to 25% in that game. I'm sure the lack of POIs is a thing they're working on, but it's not going to ruin the game if they don't add more places to loot (for me, that is).

:goonsay:
Also, the poop-farts are weak sounding and they should get someone with full and healthy bowels to record some poo poo (literally).
:goonsay:

I know I'm the weird one for liking the janky, lonely, slow-paced (other than the "burning calories" department) single-player SCUM that currently exists, because most people want more and faster all the time, but it fills a niche for me that other survival games don't. If they put as much thought and detail into the medical stuff as they have with archery (and to a lesser extent, metabolism), it'll probably become one of my favorite survival games, up there with The Long Dark.

Another pro: they use the 7.62 High Calibre/Marauder inventory system with bags and clothes having different capacities. Nobody has played those games, so I'm happy to see the very good inventory system applied to a game that people do play. I found a hiking backpack early on, and it's a game-changer for sure.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 24, 2021

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
Finally revisiting URW for the first time in forever and, man, this rips. I let the controls be a huge barrier for entry my first time around and I think that hampered poo poo by a lot. I've always been deeply enamored with ASCII roguelikes, but never been able to get over the sprawling controls, but in this case it's been all clear. Not sure if it's because URW seems to have significantly fewer--and less obtuse--keys to press, but I'll take it.

My experience so far has been rolling up a very specialized, fairly competent active hunter, being completely unable to understand how tracking works in a way that's actually functional, and promptly giving up on that to be a loving lumberjack for the time being. Realistically if anyone tries to gently caress with me they'll be in for a surprise, but until then I'm hanging out by a tiny lake, cutting wood, making lovely bowls, and trying desperately to stay fed.

I'm not gonna make it through Winter, am I

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

:shepface:

The biggest improvement to this game amidst all the automation crap is the canisters that let you store 32 of the same item in it at once. It's so easy to go to a planet and fill up a canister with a particular type of ore you need and fly back home with it. Before you had to basically take whatever you could fit in the 2x4 platforms you had in your shuttle but you can get more than enough in one trip this way.

A simple automation thing that also saves time is this smelter setup. Canister on the left has the ore which is fed automatically onto the smelter, then the finished ingot goes into the canister on the right. This lets you do stuff like this:

Honestly this canister compression stuff could have been the only change to this game and I would've still fallen back in just as hard, it's just such a game changer. I just brought back a full can of iron ore, threw it on the smelter and now have a whole can of ingots to take from which should last me for a bit. I am losing a bit of drive because I'm scraping up against the end of the research but i've been having a blast playing this a second time with all these changes.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Sab Sabbington posted:

Finally revisiting URW for the first time in forever and, man, this rips. I let the controls be a huge barrier for entry my first time around and I think that hampered poo poo by a lot. I've always been deeply enamored with ASCII roguelikes, but never been able to get over the sprawling controls, but in this case it's been all clear. Not sure if it's because URW seems to have significantly fewer--and less obtuse--keys to press, but I'll take it.

My experience so far has been rolling up a very specialized, fairly competent active hunter, being completely unable to understand how tracking works in a way that's actually functional, and promptly giving up on that to be a loving lumberjack for the time being. Realistically if anyone tries to gently caress with me they'll be in for a surprise, but until then I'm hanging out by a tiny lake, cutting wood, making lovely bowls, and trying desperately to stay fed.

I'm not gonna make it through Winter, am I

If you have good stats for active hunting, like high speed and endurance, hopefully you won't need to rely much on tracking at all. I've been able to run down animals with persistence hunting without looking at their tracks before. When you see reindeer or elk in the distance, strip naked and drop everything in your inventory except your bow/javelins, a blunt weapon for finishing off the animal and knife for skinning/butchering. Then you should be able to keep up easier, but you would still want to alternate between walking and running often so you don't get too tired. Other than badgers, I think that elk are the easiest to run down, since they are usually alone or with a cub and they mostly run in the same direction, while reindeer herds tend to scatter all over the place and circle around to try to get back to the herd and it can be hard to tell which one is which. A couple of times now I've managed to run down and kill a mother elk, then run down and kill her cub immediately afterward.

I'm currently skiing around in the middle of my first winter with my Owl Tribe hunter dude. I have a kota set up and hundreds of pounds of meat drying at a couple of different hunting camps around the wilderness. I did have one really close call with a pack of wolves though. I had just bought a second reindeer doe and was leading my animals through the forest when the wolves attacked out of nowhere. My new reindeer was torn to shreds right in front of me while I still had her on the leash. I had to abandon her and run away as fast as possible, then sneak back later to retrieve my stuff off of her partially eaten corpse. :ohdear:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

explosivo posted:

Honestly this canister compression stuff could have been the only change to this game and I would've still fallen back in just as hard, it's just such a game changer.
I picked this back up just two days ago and I had the exact same thought. Storage was always a pain in Astroneer because of how physical the interactions were designed to be. It really made me realize how often I just left resources behind or didn't bother, only to come back 15 minutes later and skim about 2 units worth off the top of a deposit. I always had to keep coming back for a little at a time. Now I can just grab an entire deposit and be set for a while, without taking up multiple platforms of space.
The missions are pretty cool too! They're mostly just stuff you'd do anyway but they do help give you a goal between things. It's a nice game to relax to, as ever.

Haven't even unlocked the 400 unit canisters yet but I could see those being used for resin/compound/organic, eventually.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona
Update: I ate a mushroom and died

All of that is excellent advice in addition to being very funny so I will absolutely do that with my next run.

So far a lot of the difficulty is finding tracks and animals in the first place, when with good skills. I'm starting to think maybe my scale for how far I need to go and how long a hunting trip is supposed to take is off? It's been a lot of 'I've been wandering around the overworld map spamming tracking for an IG day and haven't seen anything, might as well go home before I starve a hundred miles away'

It doesn't help that it's so common to see animals just walk the gently caress up to my poo poo while I'm chopping trees or whatever. Like bruh, do I need to wander around exclusively on the zoomed in map?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

explosivo posted:

:shepface:

The biggest improvement to this game amidst all the automation crap is the canisters that let you store 32 of the same item in it at once. It's so easy to go to a planet and fill up a canister with a particular type of ore you need and fly back home with it. Before you had to basically take whatever you could fit in the 2x4 platforms you had in your shuttle but you can get more than enough in one trip this way.

A simple automation thing that also saves time is this smelter setup. Canister on the left has the ore which is fed automatically onto the smelter, then the finished ingot goes into the canister on the right. This lets you do stuff like this:

Honestly this canister compression stuff could have been the only change to this game and I would've still fallen back in just as hard, it's just such a game changer. I just brought back a full can of iron ore, threw it on the smelter and now have a whole can of ingots to take from which should last me for a bit. I am losing a bit of drive because I'm scraping up against the end of the research but i've been having a blast playing this a second time with all these changes.

Yeah. The soil and gas canisters are similarly really handy. You put a giant soil canister on your drill tank and you can just fill up on so much soil. Which you can then use to either pave or else turn into mega recycling materials. And the gas cylinder lets you store a LOT of gas, I was able to make a little automated hydrazine area that gave me hydrazine for days.

The new quest system tends to give you freebies of items you normally cannot build yourself at that time so it's a good way to get a taste of what's to come, one of the rewards was a super large container for 400 nuggets of one item.

The actual end goal of powering up all planet cores and putting copies of their polyhedrons on the weird satellite are almost too easy now, I kind of wish there was another end-game goal besides messing around, and yet, messing around is the most fun part of this game.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 25, 2021

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I really, wanted some sort of portal system in astroneer, the game would have been VASTLY improved with the capability of those teleporters being able to transport vehicles or whatever was inside them when activated. Having your static backpack space being so small and not having the ability to upgrade it ever plus the hassle of hauling minerals around made it really a drag. All this automation is nice but how about some basic quality of life? Like someone mentioned, they made a design choice not to let you auto-deploy oxygen/light poles. loving WHY?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, 100%. Even if we had to spend resources to upgrade them to "vehicle-ready", taking vehicles through portals would have changed a lot. I guess they wanted to keep spaceships relevant? Taking vehicles through would also mean you wouldn't have to build the same base 7 times, but they seem to want you to, so I doubt they'd go for that. The portal system being what it is also means you pretty much always have to build near a gateway.
The automatic tether deployment option would be a no-brainer though.

I always wondered why you couldn't upgrade your backpack, especially with so many new storage options coming out but none of them working on a backpack. Maybe they're trying to make vehicles more important?

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Whoever suggested that free Arid game on steam, much appreciated. It's a great vibe, and love the desert survival thing that isn't explored all that much. Really impressive for a game by university students.

Amongst the DayZ, SCUM, 7DTD and Tarkov people, has anyone tried Dead Side recently and consider it worth it?

My sole complaint about DayZ is the lack of AI scavs or bandits, and because I prefer PvE, it really makes looting a town formulaic and boring because you just sneak around zombies and melee them unless you have a silencer.

Deadside looks like DayZ but without zombies and with AI scavs which makes it sound awesome (sorry, I'm just so tired of zombies or mutants. It's so overdone now).

Anybody try it? Does it have PvE servers or no KOS servers like DayZ or is it all Tarkov like free for all PvP whatever?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Deadside has that Steam rating trend where it's gone down over time, which is usually an extremely bad sign for anything in early access. That alone makes me wary, but the reviews are mostly talking about a lack of vehicles and thin PVE gameplay as far as singleplayer issues go. MP meanwhile appears plagued with hackers, but that's not really relevant if you're playing it solo I guess.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
We need a survival game that replaces the zombies with a zergling analog. God drat it I just want to fight monsters in my fantasy survival games, not pathetically weak psuedo people!

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Sab Sabbington posted:

Update: I ate a mushroom and died

All of that is excellent advice in addition to being very funny so I will absolutely do that with my next run.

So far a lot of the difficulty is finding tracks and animals in the first place, when with good skills. I'm starting to think maybe my scale for how far I need to go and how long a hunting trip is supposed to take is off? It's been a lot of 'I've been wandering around the overworld map spamming tracking for an IG day and haven't seen anything, might as well go home before I starve a hundred miles away'

It doesn't help that it's so common to see animals just walk the gently caress up to my poo poo while I'm chopping trees or whatever. Like bruh, do I need to wander around exclusively on the zoomed in map?

I don't usually use the tracking skill on the overworld map unless I've already spotted an animal first. I'll see one at a distance and sometimes lose it before I get close, at which point I'll use the tracking skill around the animal's last location to narrow down where it went.

If you're not seeing anything, you might not be travelling far enough for hunting. I remember it saying in the game's lore that some of the cultures like the Kaumo will spend weeks alone in the wilderness out on hunting trips before they return. I like to have multiple hunting camps scattered around a huge area that I can go between, each one with a shelter, extra firewood, some water nearby and a big fallen tree for hideworking.

Sometimes several days can go by and I don't see a single thing, while other times there are loads of animals all over the place. I'm not really sure if some parts of the world have more animals than others, or how far or how often they migrate, or if it depends on the season or the spirits being mad at you or what, so I tend to just keep travelling until I see something. It takes weeks to starve to death so a little starvation is not too big of a deal. You can certainly find animals on the zoomed in map without noticing them on the overworld map too. Sometimes I'll travel zoomed in for short distances but I don't like to do it for that long.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I started playing Rust again after not having played since like launch. It became a pretty cool game at some point. I think there's a lot of good approaches here. Things like having safe zones with NPC stores could go a long way in a lot of other survival games. I guess there's one of those in Valheim but the Rust economy seems more useful and varied. I guess I had written the game off as "The first (and probably worst) one" of a genre I liked after dicking around with the beta.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

We need a survival game that replaces the zombies with a zergling analog. God drat it I just want to fight monsters in my fantasy survival games, not pathetically weak psuedo people!

at this point anything with zombies in it is an instant no-sale from me, that team clearly has nothing to bring to the table creatively

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I think I'm regrettably done with Astroneer, I might have to look up how I unlock the VTOL first just to give that a spin but like last time I played before these newer updates I don't have much desire to explore other planets once I've got everything researched. The simpler automation additions I showed before like the canisters are huge and I used them all the time but the newer buildings like the extractor hasn't been possible to build until late game and by this point I don't really have much of a need for it. I could make a bunch of them and fly to the other planets to put one down for passive collection but they're expensive, too big to put on the shuttle, and I still have to fly there to pick up the goods anyway, at which point grabbing a container to pick up 32 of the thing I need is fast enough and lasts me for a while.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GlyphGryph posted:

There are no zombies in Empyrion, just gross space bugs!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

explosivo posted:

I think I'm regrettably done with Astroneer, I might have to look up how I unlock the VTOL first just to give that a spin but like last time I played before these newer updates I don't have much desire to explore other planets once I've got everything researched. The simpler automation additions I showed before like the canisters are huge and I used them all the time but the newer buildings like the extractor hasn't been possible to build until late game and by this point I don't really have much of a need for it. I could make a bunch of them and fly to the other planets to put one down for passive collection but they're expensive, too big to put on the shuttle, and I still have to fly there to pick up the goods anyway, at which point grabbing a container to pick up 32 of the thing I need is fast enough and lasts me for a while.
Also doesn't really matter because nothing in the game will take that many resources anyway.

The flow of the game is so strange. You're completely starved for research points until all of a sudden you have more than you'll ever need and not much to buy. Resource gates are artificial and arbitrary. You have to stop and rebuild your base 7 times, and you have to build it pretty much the same way every time because the only things you can choose from are the mandatory facilities every base needs, and some increasingly useless "novelty" platforms and storage -- basically nothing else to build even if you wanted to, unless you feel like playing chess or soccer in a game never meant to support either. Inter-planetary resources are frustrating, in that you'll bring 1 less zinc than you need and have to literally take a cross-planet trip back just to get it so you can build that medium battery, but then as soon as you get iron you unlock the trade platform which makes planet-specific resources completely moot. At that point you can basically live on any planet you want permanently and the only two reasons to ever travel are to get atmosphere gases from another planet, or to activate its core to enable fast travel and eventually finish the game.

So many things go from being too slow to suddenly never a problem again ever. Over half the planet surfaces are too chaotic, mountainous, or covered in pits to traverse with a vehicle, despite the game putting so much emphasis on vehicles. And there's almost no reason to ever travel overland to begin with, because what the hell are you looking for out there? I guess you have to find the rare macguffin exochips in cases that must be opened with dynamite, but you'll find more of those than you're likely to ever need just by digging to the core of the starter planet.
And how come they haven't even invented elevators? That long surf-slide to the planet's core is kinda fun but digging it out 7 times sure is tedious.

There's a fun game in there, and I still enjoy sinking some time into it now and then (at least until I unlock the last facilities), I just think they never put the pieces together quite right.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Vib Rib posted:

There's a fun game in there, and I still enjoy sinking some time into it now and then (at least until I unlock the last facilities), I just think they never put the pieces together quite right.

You summed this up for me far more succinctly than I could have. I really like individual parts about this game and I especially liked going through it again to see how much easier certain things are with the new stuff but nothing meshes. While they have made meaningful changes to the game it seems like they've made just as many changes that were "hey it'd be cool if" without really much though as to how it fits in with the overall progression of the game. I think ultimately the new stuff does help with a lot of the tedium and it's a better game for it but don't go into it expecting an endless grind because you'll be disappointed.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It's cool that they added so many new platforms and storages but other than the containers none of them are actually, like, good. Here's a new Large tier platform that only has small slots! Here's an Extra Large that costs more and holds less, but it's shaped super weird!
The best platforms are still the biggest ones for that size tier and the best multi-purpose storages are still the ones you start with. And even that's mostly because the ones you start with are flat and easily display their entire contents, while the bigger ones are goddamn cylinders you have to rotate or walk circles around just to see what's even on them. I get that you want to store everything in-world and I like the "chunkiness" of the resources but god, your storage solutions are not great!

And on that same note I hate that you have to get to like, planet #4 or 5 just to get access to the bigger platforms. Why is minor storage/spatial convenience considered on the same level of tech as a machine that lets you get any resource no matter what planet you're on, or a loving VTOL? It's like if Minecraft gave you only crappy mini-chests through the whole game but then if you spend enough diamond blocks you can unlock regular size chests. It's just storage! Why are you gating it so late in the game? Why do you make people work so hard and wait so long just to make a storage/base layout that doesn't suck?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah there were so many goddamn platform sizes that I never once used. The huge one that could fit 4 large stations on it was nice to consolidate some things, but I found one of the first large platforms you get that has the two small ones on the side ends up being the best. I did definitely utilize the medium storage tanks as a primary method of storage once those became trivial to make, I think I only ever made a handful of those standard storage platforms this time around. And I still never unlocked the VTOL or the hoverboard which had their very own featured update. I just never completed the right missions I guess?

Frustrating game, for sure. I had fun but there's a lot of frustration along the way and then it just kinda ends.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

at this point anything with zombies in it is an instant no-sale from me, that team clearly has nothing to bring to the table creatively

I don't HATE zombies as an antagonist really but I would love love love more diversity in the matter. GTFO has some exceptionally salary and unique monster designs in a game that could easily have been just basic-rear end zombies, and I always hope for something like that to find it's into a survival sim.

Still playing URW: died for the first time against a Njerpez when I had another buddy make all the chargen decisions for me and then give me a goal--in this case cross the entire map from the west and survive to reach their territory. Walked into town, landed a few good hits, then got one shot. 10/10. Turns out when you have truly awful stats and skills built around poo poo like Club (so you're popular at the Dance Club), Trapping (gotta know what you're to make money in the Trap game, and Herblore (obvious) your combat ability is, uh, sub optimal

Does the game have much of a mod presence and if so are there any recommendations? I'm well off from feeling like I need any to keep me engaged but if something looks good I'll add it anyway

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

explosivo posted:

And I still never unlocked the VTOL or the hoverboard which had their very own featured update. I just never completed the right missions I guess?
The missions for each will send you to a specific planet and tell you to find a MAT analyzer. Then you bring it some stuff, activate it, and it gives you the schematic and (at least for the hoverboard) 1 of the item for free. Pretty standard, but also just about the only time I ever had to do overland travel for any reason.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ah okay I was working on that for Desolo but needed to come back with the exo chip, forgot, and just never needed to go back for anything. But yeah I eventually only ever traveled on the home planet's surface to grind up debris and needed a train of rovers to accomplish it so a different type of vehicle that can't tow anything isn't super useful to me anyway.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

explosivo posted:

Ah okay I was working on that for Desolo but needed to come back with the exo chip, forgot, and just never needed to go back for anything. But yeah I eventually only ever traveled on the home planet's surface to grind up debris and needed a train of rovers to accomplish it so a different type of vehicle that can't tow anything isn't super useful to me anyway.
Plus, most planets don't even have a rover-drivable surface so why bother doing it anywhere else when the stuff you'll find is the same on every planet?
Post-trading depot you really just need to pick a nice planet to settle on for retirement. I like Novus personally, short day cycle and high energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Rutibex posted:

There are no zombies in Empyrion, just gross space bugs!
Oh gods I loving hate those bastards! Im minding my own buisness digging a hole to get at some delicious ores, then suddenly hellspiders are eating my face.
I also recommend Arid, its a pretty good survival game with zero fantastical elements and takes place in a actual real life location.
Its the first game Ive played with a pretty good sun exposure system, but no craftable hat for some reason. You can use mud as an impromptu sunblock though.