Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

It'll be fine, people regularly run a 205 width tire on an 8" wheel for miatas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Additionally, listed tread width and treadwear are bullshit for <=200tw tires so it might not be a stretch anyway

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
My 205/45/16 NS2-R rub a bit compared to whatever random hankook I had on there before which was exactly the same size

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh poo poo

I went to measure it and while I'm not sure if that's the most accurate way to do it, this is the most conservative reading I got, mostly it looked like 205. For another look, I stacked them next to the 195 winter tires

The whole stack measured 83.5cm = 209mm each :laffo:

The inside though is only like 6.3" if I'm measuring correctly.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I have a 2017 Outback 3.6, and Im thinking of putting some sticky all seasons on it (and eventually getting a dedicated winter set).

I’m look for a more planted feel at higher speeds and better grip through corners, although obviously i recognize the limitations of this vehicle.

The stock size is 225/60R18, but will there be any adverse effects with 225/50R18 tires (probably bf goodrich compforce)?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm not sure if that's the most accurate way to do it

It's not. The tire spec sheet should say what size rim to mount to for the reference tread width measurement.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Head Bee Guy posted:

I have a 2017 Outback 3.6, and Im thinking of putting some sticky all seasons on it (and eventually getting a dedicated winter set).

I’m look for a more planted feel at higher speeds and better grip through corners, although obviously i recognize the limitations of this vehicle.

The stock size is 225/60R18, but will there be any adverse effects with 225/50R18 tires (probably bf goodrich compforce)?

You'll lose nearly an inch of ride height, and your speedo will be fast by 5mph at 80 (source). Worse MPGs but maybe a tiny bit better acceleration as you're effectively increasing your final drive ratio by 6%. Whether that's worse is subjective.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Head Bee Guy posted:

Is that a 7.5" wide wheel? The 225/50 is probably too big a change in diameter, but you could probably do 235/55, which would be closer to the original diameter while still being a lower profile. I've no experience with that car platform so I don't know if it might rub the inner fenderwell.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Most ABS software freaks out past a certain OD difference in tire. So it's best to keep the difference below 2% as well. At least that's the rule of thumb I was always told. This may be outdated information or there is a last step of telling one of the vehicles computers the new OD which may resolve this issue.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

M. Night Skymall posted:

I'm also curious what A/T tires people like. I'm leaning towards the Falken Wildpeak A/T3Ws because they seem super popular and are well reviewed, but it's hard to tell what the actual difference is between the various A/Ts.

KO2’s are nice but rude rough and are expensive and heavy

I had the AT3W’s on my Wrangler and they were fine

Cooper AT3 are a little more road oriented

I have the Continental terrain contacts on my Grand Cherokee which are great but looking back I wish I had went with the CrossContacts or whatever for slightly better mpg and ride quality since I don’t take it off road. Hell it barely even snows anymore.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I have more of a wheel question. My summer wheels are 20" diameter and 9" wide with an offset of 22mm. I'm running 15mm spacers. My winter tires are 19" diameter and 8" wide with an offset of 26mm. What size spacers do I need to get the same look?

I've tried a few wheel/tire calculator and comparison websites and they just tell me that the spacing is "similar" or that the winter tire "has more room" between it an the fender. I'd like to at least get a rough number so I can decide if I can use the same sized spacers or if I need to get a different size.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I assume you mean +22 and +26 for offset. 22 - 15 = effective +7

You'd need an offset of -5 to match your 20" wheels, so you more or less need a 30mm spacer with the 19" wheels.

https://www.willtheyfit.com/ is your friend. Subtract your spacer size from the wheel offset to get your effective offset.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Has anyone had a chance to ride on some of the new Yokohama tires that are coming out?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

net work error posted:

Has anyone had a chance to ride on some of the new Yokohama tires that are coming out?

New / current generation Geolandars and IceGuards are awesome.

I wanted to try the latest Advan Sport AS+ but they do not make them in 255/45/17 unfortunately.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

BlackMK4 posted:

I assume you mean +22 and +26 for offset. 22 - 15 = effective +7

You'd need an offset of -5 to match your 20" wheels, so you more or less need a 30mm spacer with the 19" wheels.

https://www.willtheyfit.com/ is your friend. Subtract your spacer size from the wheel offset to get your effective offset.
Yes, +22 and +26 ET.

Thank you for the explanation and the website. You've answered my question. :)

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I have no idea how to tires. I bought my '19 CrossTrek new and it's gotten us like 33k miles on these tires - Falken Ziex ZE 001 A/S 225/55 R18. They've got 4mm (1/8"?) tread left on them - about when should I think about replacing them? And with what - our driving is 90% bay area freeway / city, 10% going to Tahoe in the winter so I'd prefer all-season m+s to skip chain controls.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Not sure when to replace them, but the stock tires are mediocre at best so you should be pretty happy when you replace them. The new hotness they're pushing lately is "all weather" (vs all season) tires which have the 3 mountain peak logo on it which are supposedly way better in snow than all seasons. For heading to Tahoe they'll be fantastic.

I like to look at consumer reviews on Tire Rack and shop at my favorite retailer (America's Tire usually)
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...ndex=0#allTitle
The ones that say "Severe Snow Service Rated" are the "All Weather" variety.

Realistically though for the occasional ski trip any of those well rated all seasons should be just fine. Check what score people give them in the reviews, etc. Unfortunately I never saw that Tirerack did their own tests on the new batch of tires to see measured stopping distances on snow / ice etc.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 24, 2021

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

4mm is closer to 5/32 than 4/32, but either way you're near the end of that tire's life. 2/32 is the legal limit where the tire is considered completely worn out by the industry (and any inspections you have to go through). But at 4/32 you'll start seeing a significant reduction in performance in conditions other than dry pavement, and that's without even accounting for the rubber hardening as it ages.

In other words, if you aren't in a position where you must get every mile out of those tires to save as much money as possible, you're pretty much at the perfect time to start shopping for new tires. Namely you have the luxury of waiting for a sale, or buying a tire that might take a couple weeks to get to you instead of what's on the shelf now.

I'm replacing the original tires on my 2018 Canyon even though they're still at 7/32, because thanks to aging the rears are starting to chunk:

The fronts don't have any damage like that but they have significant cracking in the same tread blocks. I'm gonna try the Bridgestone Dueler AT RH S since those highway-tread Goodyears aren't great at finding grip even on packed dirt. Also, Costco has them for $150 off right now.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

luminalflux posted:

I have no idea how to tires. I bought my '19 CrossTrek new and it's gotten us like 33k miles on these tires - Falken Ziex ZE 001 A/S 225/55 R18. They've got 4mm (1/8"?) tread left on them - about when should I think about replacing them? And with what - our driving is 90% bay area freeway / city, 10% going to Tahoe in the winter so I'd prefer all-season m+s to skip chain controls.

+1 for using tire rack reviews and testing to pick a set. Their recommend installer thing can work well too. A lot of places are cheaper if you setup the install through tire rack and you can have the tires shipped straight there.

I put more weight into the office tire rack opinions vs the user ones.

Costco is my other tire go-to. Good prices for tires and mount / balance.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

honda whisperer posted:

+1 for using tire rack reviews and testing to pick a set. Their recommend installer thing can work well too. A lot of places are cheaper if you setup the install through tire rack and you can have the tires shipped straight there.

I put more weight into the office tire rack opinions vs the user ones.

Costco is my other tire go-to. Good prices for tires and mount / balance.

Thanks for the recs. Based on the tire rack reviews and this thread, I've ordered a set of Crossclimate2's through tire rack, let's see how they do.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Is 15k miles more than I should expect from my MPS4Ss?

I’m debating new tires before a road trip. Ive got 12k miles on them now. Seem okay but I’ve literally worn the tread off tires before because I’m a complete dumbass. Like smooth down to the belts.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Way too many variables to answer that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

luminalflux posted:

Thanks for the recs. Based on the tire rack reviews and this thread, I've ordered a set of Crossclimate2's through tire rack, let's see how they do.

Those look awesome, I think you'll be happy. I'm probably gonna try the cheaper Vredesteins myself for my daily driver (I have a Subaru with snow tires available to me too).

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

Is 15k miles more than I should expect from my MPS4Ss?

I’m debating new tires before a road trip. Ive got 12k miles on them now. Seem okay but I’ve literally worn the tread off tires before because I’m a complete dumbass. Like smooth down to the belts.

15K is easily achievable MPS4Ss, depending on how many burnouts you do. Just measure the tread depth and be sure.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I’ve got a 2016 Tacoma SR5 double cab and the quasi lovely Hankooks it came with have nearly run their course. Stock size 245/75R16.

I do mostly highway driving in the south (and I know Defender LTX is the stock answer for this usually) but id like something that can handle some gravel roads for fishing etc, so maybe a light AT tire would be fine. Also wet performance is probably the biggest deal, with all the lowland flooding and summer rain here. I also prefer white letter tires but I know that’s superficial as hell.

Potential candidates are Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S, Firestone Destination AT2, Continental TerrainContact AT.

Any thoughts or other suggestions?

E: never mind. I think I’m just going to shell out on the boring stalwart Defender LTX

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 27, 2021

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Tundra TRD came with LTX's in the past, they are more than capable on gravel

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Bob Morales posted:

The Tundra TRD came with LTX's in the past, they are more than capable on gravel

Yeah I’m sort of split between it and the Conti TerrainContact HT. They seem similarly capable and not quite as expensive.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

For some reason ($$$$), Chevrolet puts non-LT rated tires on the new Silverados with the Z71 package, and on 20” wheels no less, and my wife has had enough. First was a sidewall tear and now a big bulge in a second sidewall. The most off-road she does is dirt roads to the kids’ friends houses, and she can’t remember hitting a pot hole large enough to bust sidewall ply. She pays attention to these things.

So she decided she wanted to go down to an 18” like the Trail Boss and asked me what tires to put on the new wheels. We decided on BFG ATKO’s in 275/70/18 which brings her up to an E load rating. Excessive for a 1500? Maybe, but the tire will drat sure be stronger, and I figure the increase in ride harshness will be offset by the 2” smaller wheels as well.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Went w my gut and ordered Defender LTXs today. The continentals weren’t much cheaper at my trusted local tire shop so I just decided to just go with what I knew already.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah I’m sort of split between it and the Conti TerrainContact HT. They seem similarly capable and not quite as expensive.
I have the TerrainContact AT on my Grand Cherokee and they seem to be pretty good.

LeeMajors posted:

Went w my gut and ordered Defender LTXs today. The continentals weren’t much cheaper at my trusted local tire shop so I just decided to just go with what I knew already.
Those are like "the best tire" so you aren't going to regret them.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

So she decided she wanted to go down to an 18” like the Trail Boss and asked me what tires to put on the new wheels. We decided on BFG ATKO’s in 275/70/18 which brings her up to an E load rating. Excessive for a 1500? Maybe, but the tire will drat sure be stronger, and I figure the increase in ride harshness will be offset by the 2” smaller wheels as well.

I had put the LT285/60R18 on my Silverado. They looked 'beefier'. On a 1500 you will definitely get some shudder/bounce on the rougher roads.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Bob Morales posted:

Those are like "the best tire" so you aren't going to regret them.

Oh totally. I’ve had them before, I guess I was maybe looking for something a little more attractive on the truck or maybe something more economical but honestly I’m too much of a pragmatist to stray too far. I drive like 97% highway but I do go camping and fishing but never anywhere super challenging. I’m looking forward to getting them on again. Good riddance to these lovely OE hankooks.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
new azenis are good

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Phone posted:

new azenis are good

I was looking at them since my ps4s are at about the wear marker but I'm concerned on how well they last as a DD tire. Interested to hear your feedback on them!

I wanted to get another set of ps4s but it looks like they are just out of stock everywhere because of covid/shipping/etc things so I decided on the Ventus R-S4 for now since they seem to wear well but aren't as fast as the rt660 or a052 which I can live with on a daily. This is my first time using a 200TW tire so looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
they're loud and hard.

I've always had 2 sets of wheels going on for almost 15 years now, so....... I don't know what to really say outside of be prepared for them to be toast about about 10k miles if they don't get heat cycled out first?

e: with all super 200TW tires, they get damaged around 40F, so if you live anywhere north of Florida or Texas, you might have some issues.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Phone posted:

they're loud and hard.

I've always had 2 sets of wheels going on for almost 15 years now, so....... I don't know what to really say outside of be prepared for them to be toast about about 10k miles if they don't get heat cycled out first?

e: with all super 200TW tires, they get damaged around 40F, so if you live anywhere north of Florida or Texas, you might have some issues.

I'm down in South Florida so I run Summer tires all year round.
Haven't gone with a second set of tires because my car is like 95% daily with the occasional autocross and even more rare track day. Maybe once I get some more space I'll have a second set but for now it's worked out decent.
I liked the ps4s because it wore well while being decently competitive in autocross.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Thauros posted:

two tire related questions:

1. How bad are Nfera SU1's going to be in cold weather? I live in the US and not the southern hemisphere so I have a while before I need to worry about it but I just bought a car with what looks like a brand new set. My only experience with summer performance tires in the past were when i was a dumbass college student and put a set of summer PZero Neros on an old Saab 900 turbo. I didn't have any issues then but I may have been tempting fate and also didn't have to drive nearly as much as i do now.

2. The OEM tire size is 195/45/16 and selection is very limited. Are there any sizes I could safely switch to on the stock wheels that would give a better selection of all season performance oriented tires?

i ended up having to replace these a bit more than a year later. tires were tolerable in winter but not great obviously and the treadwear was poo poo. i ended up springing for a set of michelin pilot sport a/s 3s as they were the best rated all season tires i could find but it was difficult to locate a set and expensive for a small tire. out of curiosity, do any of you know how bad these tires i almost bought for half the price (75$ vs 150$) would've been? most places were out of stock or had less than four available and i was getting desperate.

Westlake SA-07 Sport

i checked a european tire site once and i was jealous of the selection they have for tires in that size compared to the us. a lot of the tires i'm used to buying from hankook or falken are available there but not here as everyone insists on driving huge vehicles.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 10, 2021

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Ordered a set of PS4Ss to replace the baked Toyos on my M5, $1300 mounted. Not terrible. They didn’t seem to think they’d have a problem getting them, I told them not to rush because I need to replace the driveshaft and work on the diff first anyway.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Anecdotally, we've been having a poo poo time getting anything Michelin in particular at work. Lots of the Defender LTX, CrossClimate2, and the BFG KO2 are either hard to track down or on an 8-10 week backorder.

Trying to talk to anyone at the call center is a pain, their audio quality on the phone is garbage for some reason, and I've had multiple CSRs give me different answers when I call to verify that tires I've ordered are actually in transit and not lost in one of their DCs.

Shout out for our Pirelli rep though. 90% of the time if I call him about a tire that's marked OOS, he manages to get me a set from somewhere.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

PitViper posted:

Anecdotally, we've been having a poo poo time getting anything Michelin in particular at work. Lots of the Defender LTX, CrossClimate2, and the BFG KO2 are either hard to track down or on an 8-10 week backorder.

Trying to talk to anyone at the call center is a pain, their audio quality on the phone is garbage for some reason, and I've had multiple CSRs give me different answers when I call to verify that tires I've ordered are actually in transit and not lost in one of their DCs.

Shout out for our Pirelli rep though. 90% of the time if I call him about a tire that's marked OOS, he manages to get me a set from somewhere.

I spotted a set of CrossClimate2 in the wild, eye catching tread pattern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Charles posted:

I spotted a set of CrossClimate2 in the wild, eye catching tread pattern.

I put a set on my Crosstrek, had no issues getting them from Tire Rack, delivered within like 3 days of my order. Thought they were going to be louder than they are based on the tread pattern. Only driven them on dry asphalt so far, we'll see come winter how they do.