Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Floppychop posted:

My local scene is starting back up (for the moment, the LGS takes COVID seriously so the Delta outbreak may cause them to shut down again).

I'm not sure if I even want to go back to playing with that play group though. A large portion revealed themselves as anti-vax/mask. Smaller city too, so it's really the only community within an hour drive.

It's so hard for me to get excited about X-Wing stuff because the local store that hosted X-Wing nights closed down for the pandemic. They'll reopen eventually, but not until they deem it safe. Their online sales are keeping them solvent so they have no imperative to reopen until it's safe to do so.

Of the three other local stores: one has zero play space (wtf?), one is the nastiest retail space I've ever been in (if you told me Covid originated from that bathroom I'd just shrug and say "sounds about right"), and the third is owned by blatant anti-vaxxers/maskers who wouldn't LET people wear masks inside.

A few of our local group have played a few games at someone's house but it's just not the same without 3-4 games going at the same time with the ability to trade off opponents at will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Speaking of…. Anyone in Bremerton, WA play?

Derlix
Dec 9, 2005
Smug, Pantsless Bastard

Found this one the X-Wing Discord - this upgrade is going to make the Whisper very interesting on the table I think

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
The Tie Whisper doesn't have the arcs printed for it's turrets in any of the promo images, just the bullseye. Hopefully it's just an error in the promotional images and not a production error or it's going to be unplayable without using a proxy for the base.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

KongGeorgeVII posted:

The Tie Whisper doesn't have the arcs printed for it's turrets in any of the promo images, just the bullseye. Hopefully it's just an error in the promotional images and not a production error or it's going to be unplayable without using a proxy for the base.

......no turret ship does? Like not sure what you mean.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

KongGeorgeVII posted:

It's got a 3-die bullseye and a 2-die turret primary. Exactly the same as the Nantex, except the Whisper can only rotate forward/back like the TIE/SF.

Turrets don't get printed on the cardboard, they use the pointer marker.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm very sorry to hear that. But as any RPG veteran should tell you, no gaming is better than bad gaming.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
There is no indicators on the base for what your arc is even if you're using the turret indicator. If you point you arc front or back no have no way to actually measure if something is in one of those arcs.

You can kind of use the angled bit of the bullseye for the front but there is no way to measure the rear.

e: look at the bases of the bombers. White lines indicating the rear arc. Tie Whisper has none of those, turret indicator is irrelevant.

Other promotional images are also lacking the arc lines

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 24, 2021

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

You probably have to equip the missing lines as a modification upgrade first.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Maybe they didn't want to repeat the mistakes of the nantex so they pre-nerfed it by not including the lines

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Ohhh, good eye. My bad, I didn't even notice that.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

gently caress randomly generated lists are the best. My local gaming group are doing a league using a different one each week. This week, I got Jarek Yeager with three useless upgrades( debris gambit, ion missiles, and inertial dampners), scourge skutu wth trick shot, a naked Sabine in a Tie figher, jaycris tubbs with black one, and Kaatos. It was the most fun game I've ever had. Fun fact: the z-95 got three kills! A tie agressor, redline and a b-wing with shield upgrade.

Highly recommend if you wanna shake your game up, do the random lists.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I just picked up the Phoenix Squadron box after not really looking at X wing since before the pandemic.

What's the diamond upgrade and how do equip the the awesome Prototype B-wing cannon?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Floppychop posted:

I just picked up the Phoenix Squadron box after not really looking at X wing since before the pandemic.

What's the diamond upgrade and how do equip the the awesome Prototype B-wing cannon?

The denotes it's an epic only upgrade. You can equip that if you play epic.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

The denotes it's an epic only upgrade. You can equip that if you play epic.

Thanks for the answer, but that's kind of a bummer since no one plays epic.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Has anyone had a chance to play the 'Leviathan Hunt' solo/co-op scenario that comes with the trident? I don't really care for the Trident, but it might be worth it if you can play the scenario with a Raider instead.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

looks like Armada might be cancelled. Wonder what the plan is for X-Wing.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

alg posted:

looks like Armada might be cancelled. Wonder what the plan is for X-Wing.

I'm the last person to be a doomer but Armada was going from strength to strength locally since the refresh of rules, cards and new factions. I really wanted a droid donut :(

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

My friend/boss got me into armada like a month ago and I just dropped $400 :s

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Outlived my prediction by 3 years, at least

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Really sucks considering Armada was prob the most balanced and tightly designed out of xwing, armada and legion.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

banned from Starbucks posted:

Really sucks considering Armada was prob the most balanced and tightly designed out of xwing, armada and legion.

As a game it's the best but it's absolutely awful for organized play.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Spoiler alert so is X-Wing but it’s too late to stop that train.

I think if I ever get back into it, I’m just going to do casual events - tournaments are just too much work for the payoff, and playing with some randoms that I am not familiar with isn’t fun, especially when they’re super-awkward or super-competitive.

I had a lot of fun running a HotAC campaign at my local store and just playing with the group I know, but strangers just make it weird.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Spoiler alert, those strangers feel the same way but about YOU.

But really X-Wing will be around until the heat death of the Universe. I don't have any proof but I'm pretty sure the game prints money for them.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 21, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ringo Star Get posted:

Spoiler alert so is X-Wing but it’s too late to stop that train.

I think if I ever get back into it, I’m just going to do casual events - tournaments are just too much work for the payoff, and playing with some randoms that I am not familiar with isn’t fun, especially when they’re super-awkward or super-competitive.

I had a lot of fun running a HotAC campaign at my local store and just playing with the group I know, but strangers just make it weird.

X wing is NOWHERE as bad as Armada was.

I miss armada too. I had installed cool lighting in a bunch of my ships (including an Interdictor I was especially proud of, the engines were blue and the trench was red like on the card!) but I had to sell it all. :(
Playing the Armada campaign also kicked rear end.

Rockker
Nov 17, 2010

So, I bought an X-wing lot locally and will end up playing casually with nephews and a co-worker (see list below). Looks like it is heavy on Imperial, Rebel and Scum? And has some Resistance and First Order. I see there are 2 other factions too, guessing this lot was before those were released. If I just want to stick to the factions I've got, are there any new must-have or interesting ships released recently? Might need more Resistance ships for that faction to be playable?

(Also, it has Huge Ships for the Epic game that I'm not really going to play: CR-90 Corvette, GR-75 Transport, Imperial Raider and Gozanti Cruiser. If there's interest I'd sell those as a lot...or trade for some of the ships that appear to be out of print...though it appears it would need the Huge Ship Conversion kit to be playable, as the lot only has the models/stands for the huge ships, don't see the cards/dials anywhere for those)

Decimator
TIE Defender x2
TIE Phantom x2
TIE Advanced x1 x2
TIE Interceptor x4
TIE/ln Fighter x8
TIE/sk Striker x2
TIE Advanced v1
TIE/ca Punisher
TIE/sa Bomber x4
Lambda-class Shuttle

ARC-170
BTL-A4 Y-Wing x3
Z-95 Headhunter x5
T-65 X-Wing x5
Auzituck Gunship
UT-60D U-Wing
Rebel TIE/ln Fighter? (orange) x2
VCX-100 Light Freighter
Sheathipede-class Shuttle
Modified YT-1300
RZ-1 A-Wing x3
E-Wing
A/SF-01 B-Wing x3

Lancer-class Pursuit Craft
YV-666
M12-L Kimogila Fighter x2
Scurrg H-6 Bomber
StarViper x2
M3-A Interceptor x4
Fang Fighter
Aggressor Assault Fighter x2
Quadrijet x2
JumpMaster 5000 x2
Kihraxz Fighter x2
G-1A Starfighter
HWK-290 x2
Firespray x2

TIE/vn Silencer
Upsilon-class Command Shuttle
TIE/fo Fighter x5
TIE/sf Fighter x3

T70 X-Wing x3

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.
Only thing I can think of to add is a Reaper for the Imperials. That's a lot of ships, should last you well for many years.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

TIE Strikers are a ton of fun, and don’t let their dial deceive you; their Adaptive Ailerons and speed-1 K-turn can have them wherever they need to be, facing whichever way they need to face :getin:

There’s probably also a fun list to make with the TIE/FO mini-swarm you’ve got there. They’re more intimidating than their fragile predecessors.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Seconding both the previous posts, my favorite list is 4 Strikers + Sloane in a Reaper

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

smug jeebus posted:

Seconding both the previous posts, my favorite list is 4 Strikers + Sloane in a Reaper

My favorite dumbass list is the three named Strikers + Vermiel (Reaper) with Vader, all with Ruthless.

“Duchess” (44)
Ruthless (1)

“Countdown” (43)
Ruthless (1)

“Pure Sabacc” (43)
Ruthless (1)

Major Vermeil (49)
Ruthless (1)
Darth Vader (14)
Total: 197

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

The list has a ridiculous alpha strike. You're throwing 13-14 highly modified red dice, plus a Vader damage or token strip, at I4-5. This list wins or loses very, very fast. Its big weakness is high-initiative ace lists, sadly, but it's weirdly good against generic spam. It's super common to take out an enemy ship immediately. And if your leading ship is Vermiel or Countdown, it probably won't die in return, which lets you do the same thing again next round!

It's great for a tournament where you care more about playing a shitload of X-Wing than about making a cut. And if you do make the cut, as I did once with it, everyone will be like "wut?"

And that, my friends, is its own reward.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Countdown and Pure Sabbaac are probably my favorite pilots in the game. Sabaac is utterly devastating if you play him right (5 modded R1 dice? Yes please :twisted: ) and Countdown has a recurring “gently caress your dice, I’m living through this at a low cost!” ability that’s hard to quantify. Its hilarious when you completely shut down someone’s pile of crits they were trying to dump on you, though :getin:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Bummer about Armada. I'm glad I hadn't bought into it yet. My kid loves Star Destroyers and I was really thinking about it. It's even hard to find Star Destroyers as toys nowadays unless you want models or LEGO.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Icon Of Sin posted:

Countdown and Pure Sabbaac are probably my favorite pilots in the game. Sabaac is utterly devastating if you play him right (5 modded R1 dice? Yes please :twisted: ) and Countdown has a recurring “gently caress your dice, I’m living through this at a low cost!” ability that’s hard to quantify. Its hilarious when you completely shut down someone’s pile of crits they were trying to dump on you, though :getin:

The Strikers are all so much fun. I love them.

Imagined posted:

Bummer about Armada. I'm glad I hadn't bought into it yet. My kid loves Star Destroyers and I was really thinking about it. It's even hard to find Star Destroyers as toys nowadays unless you want models or LEGO.

I played Armada once or twice back in the day, and it was no fun at all. I've never understood the appeal of it as a game. I haven't played it recently. I think a big update came out? Maybe that made it better.

Now, as a way to get RAD loving SHIPS, it completely owns. The models are so good.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Homebrew players will keep Armada alive. With the sheer amount of 3D-printed ships I see everywhere, I'm sure the game will live for a long time (in a galaxy far far away) regardless.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I do not at all understand why anyone is saying Armada is dead when AMG is publicly saying they'll reprint product. I've had a Republic fleet on order at my FLGS since March. Buying product being difficult is significant more lethal to a game than not adding yet more new pieces.

If AMG goes a full six months into 2022 without any Armada announcements, they will be officially halfway to FFG's record.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

did FFG ever publicly announce "we are not developing any new products for this game at this time" for Armada?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

alg posted:

did FFG ever publicly announce "we are not developing any new products for this game at this time" for Armada?

No, they just spent 18 months quiet as the grave about it then put out a super star destroyer too big to easily use in a game about maneuvering

Notably they also did not say anything about restocking product at any time, either, which I feel like I should stress is really important to have to encourage things like "new players" or "revenue"

Strobe fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 25, 2021

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I mean they did say "something BIG is coming" for a long time which, literally everyone guessed would be a SSD.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Icon Of Sin posted:

Countdown mentally broke a friend of mine when he tossed a giant handful of dice and ended up doing essentially nothing.

"I really should have read his card first."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Also, the wings move!